• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This convo spurred a desire in me to make a Bamco fighting roster. I'd tried it beforehand, but always gave up early on. I already have a decent idea of which characters I wanna add, but do you have any suggestions yourself? Some picks you think would be fun?

This goes for other people here too btw, I want yall's feedback on this
Aside from Tekken I'd love to see Soul Calibur reps. KOS-MOS too.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This convo spurred a desire in me to make a Bamco fighting roster. I'd tried it beforehand, but always gave up early on. I already have a decent idea of which characters I wanna add, but do you have any suggestions yourself? Some picks you think would be fun?

idk about characters (namco arcade games that aren't Pac-Man And Friends (TM) are hard to research) but as far as stages go, I'd love to have a WonderMomo show on the roster.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
I have no idea how Mario and Rayman are lumped onto the "Scrimblo Bimblo" category even if they aren't anthropomorphic animals.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Currently brainstorming content for Scarlet and Violet beyond just a playable Pokemon. I might make a moveset for my most wanted pick, but I figured the other representation would be interesting. Do keep in mind there will be spoilers

Stage: Area Zero
1669651659544.png

1669651742771.png

Area Zero, for those that have not played Scarlet and Violet, is the final area in the game. In the Great Crater of Paldea, you have Area Zero. This bizarre, almost Eden like location is home to several Pokemon, but most notably has the Paradox pokemon. Scarlet and Violet have past and future pokemon respectively lurking in Area Zero, brought here by experiments with time. Compared to the rest of the game, your first visit to Area Zero is far more linear, a slow trek to the depths of Area Zero and the Zero Laboratory. Koraidon/Miraidon are reluctant to even come out of their pokeball due to their trauma here. You are forced to take the linear path to the depths with your friends and learn how this twisted Eden could potentially ruin the rest of the region.

I think this is the perfect stage for Scarlet and Violet. Spear Pillar, Unova Pokemon League, and Kalos'Pokemon Leagues show they are not too scared of doing a late game area for a Pokemon game. I think you could either do it like Northern Cave, where you drift through the stage from the top to the depths, or you could just choose one location to set the stage in. Maybe right outside the Zero Laboratory, maybe right near the entrance? You could do whatever. I think it would also be cool to see Paradox Pokemon show up. I think the ones I would go with are Great Tusk, Slither Wing, and Roaring Moon to represent the past and Iron Treads, Iron Moth, and Iron Valiant to represent the future. You could also have Koraidon and Miraidon show up as Pokeball Pokemon or be present on this stage instead as stage hazards.

Music

Scarlet and Violet have an insane soundtrack. Hats off to Toby Fox and the rest of the sound team. Here are a few songs I think would be great picks.

Just so many possible bops to go with. My personal remix pics would be a medley of all four Province's wild battle themes, an Area Zero Medley, and a Team Star Boss remix.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
You don't need to be an animal to be a Scrimblo Bimblo. Being a platformer character dating back to the 90s and having a fandom that thinks hating anime is a personality suffices.
There are Scrimblos that aren't from platformers like PAC-MAN and Bomberman (both from maze games), and some whose games were released before or after the 90s (like Alex Kidd or Ratchet & Clank.

osby

Smash Obsessed
There are Scrimblos that aren't from platformers like PAC-MAN and Bomberman (both from maze games), and some whose games were released before or after the 90s (like Alex Kidd or Ratchet & Clank.
Could've been worse. Imagine people calling a character an anime swordfighter when they're from a video game.

That would truly be horrifying if it was real.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

So I can give a list of Namco games and franchises in general for looking at ideas for characters, stages and whatnot. Let's start with the classic Arcade games first:
-Pac-Man
-Rally-X
-Galaxian/Galaga
-Bravoman
-Baraduke
-Dig Dug
-Mappy
-Legend of Valkyrie
-Tower of Duraga
-Genpai Toma Den
-Wonder Momo
-Dragon Buster
-Dragon Spirit
-Yokai Dochuki
-Metro-Cross
-Sky Kid
-Libble Rabble
-Splatterhouse
-Phelios
-Marvel Land(not to be confused with Legend of Valkyrie's Marvel Land).
-Pole Position
-Bosconian/Star Luster
-Xevious
-Steel Gunner
-Point Blank
-Time Crisis
-Thunder Ceptor

Now to the more modern/console titles:
-Tekken
-Ridge Racer
-Tales of
-Soul Calibur
-Dark Souls/Elden Ring
-God Eater
-Ace Combat
-Taiko no Tatsujin
-dot.hack
-Mr. Driller/Star Trigon
-Xenosaga
-Klonoa
-Super Robot Wars
-Katamari Damacy
-Yumeria(by what I checked, this is a Strider/dot.hack-like scenario, except in this case, the game stayed in Japan and the anime was localized).
-Summon Night
-Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone(I think the original characters, like Reiji and Xiaomu, are owned by Namco)
-The Idolmaster
-Ar Tonelico
-Wagan Land
-Eternal Sonata
-Fragile Dreams
-Tank Tank Tank
-Lost Reavers
-Code Vein
-Scarlet Nexus
-Breakdown

Now the more anime titles:
-Digimon
-Gundam

I'm just putting those 2 down as I think Bandai Namco has full control of those for the most part, but I could be wrong. Now for the questionable ones:
-Little Nightmares(not developed by them, but both one and two were originally published by Bandai Namco)
-Sigma Star Saga(developed by Wayforward)
-The first Baten Kaitos(I think this is a Bayonetta scenario where the first is owned by Namco while the 2nd is owned by Nintendo).
------
So there's certainly a variety to choose for a Namco crossover game. And even if there are some games that wouldn't be good for characters, they would be great for stages, music and whatnot. In terms what I would pick, Baraduke/Masuyo Tobi would be cool to see, considering she did the whole "revealed as female" deal before Samus made it popular. Tales of, Soul Calibur, Xenosaga and Dark Souls would be great to see. While I haven't played the original Summon Night series, I did play the Swordcraft Story GBA games and enjoyed those(and their writing by Atlus' localisation). And Eternal Sonata has some great music by Motoi Sakuraba.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I can give a list of Namco games and franchises in general for looking at ideas for characters, stages and whatnot. Let's start with the classic Arcade games first:
-Pac-Man
-Rally-X
-Galaxian/Galaga
-Bravoman
-Baraduke
-Dig Dug
-Mappy
-Legend of Valkyrie
-Tower of Duraga
-Genpai Toma Den
-Wonder Momo
-Dragon Buster
-Dragon Spirit
-Yokai Dochuki
-Metro-Cross
-Sky Kid
-Libble Rabble
-Splatterhouse
-Phelios
-Pole Position
-Bosconian/Star Luster
-Xevious
-Steel Gunner
-Point Blank
-Time Crisis
-Thunder Ceptor

-Tekken
-Ridge Racer
-Tales of
-Soul Calibur
-Dark Souls/Elden Ring
-God Eater
-Ace Combat
-Taiko no Tatsujin
-dot.hack
-Mr. Driller/Star Trigon
-Xenosaga
-Klonoa
-Super Robot Wars
-Katamari Damacy
-Yumeria(by what I checked, this is a Strider/dot.hack-like scenario, except in this case, the game stayed in Japan and the anime was localized).
-Summon Night
-Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone(I think the original characters, like Reiji and Xiaomu, are owned by Namco)
-The Idolmaster
-Ar Tonelico
-Wagan Land
-Eternal Sonata
-Fragile Dreams
-Tank Tank Tank
-Lost Reavers
-Code Vein
-Scarlet Nexus
-Breakdown

-Digimon
-Gundam

I'm just putting those 2 down as I think Bandai Namco has full control of those for the most part, but I could be wrong. Now for the questionable ones:
-Little Nightmares(not developed by them, but both one and two were originally published by Bandai Namco)
-The first Baten Kaitos(I think this is a Bayonetta scenario where the first is owned by Namco while the 2nd is owned by Nintendo).
------
So there's certainly a variety to choose for a Namco crossover game. And even if there are some games that wouldn't be good for characters, they would be great for stages, music and whatnot. In terms what I would pick, Baraduke/Masuyo Tobi would be cool to see, considering she did the whole "revealed as female" deal before Samus made it popular. Tales of, Soul Calibur, Xenosaga and Dark Souls would be great to see. While I haven't played the original Summon Night series, I did play the Swordcraft Story GBA games and enjoyed those(and their writing by Atlus' localisation). And Eternal Sonata has some great music by Motoi Sakuraba.
Yeah, Bamco has some really cool stuff. I'm not sure if I wanna do stages, but it could be a fun thing to do afterwards. The roster's 30 characters, so I wound up not having room for some cool deeper cuts I'd have liked, but hey yknow, if you just put Every Possible Thing in it's not as interesting. Making those decisions is part of the fun!

The roster's almost done. I just have one slot I'm flip-flopping on. Who would be a good pick for a second Digimon rep? The series is kind of daunting to look into, and I looked up who were the most popular characters, and some options did strike me as interesting, but again, kind of a daunting selection. I want someone who really stands out as a unique fighter but is also notable in their own right.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
-Pac-Man
-Rally-X
-Galaxian/Galaga
-Bravoman
-Baraduke
-Dig Dug
-Mappy
-Legend of Valkyrie
-Tower of Duraga
-Genpai Toma Den
-Wonder Momo
-Dragon Buster
-Dragon Spirit
-Yokai Dochuki
-Metro-Cross
-Sky Kid
-Libble Rabble
-Splatterhouse
-Phelios
-Pole Position
-Bosconian/Star Luster
-Xevious
-Steel Gunner
-Point Blank
-Time Crisis
-Thunder Ceptor

-Tekken
-Ridge Racer
-Tales of
-Soul Calibur
-Dark Souls/Elden Ring
-God Eater
-Ace Combat
-Taiko no Tatsujin
-dot.hack
-Mr. Driller/Star Trigon
-Xenosaga
-Klonoa
-Super Robot Wars
-Katamari Damacy
-Summon Night
-The Idolmaster
-Ar Tonelico
-Wagan Land
-Eternal Sonata
-Fragile Dreams
-Tank Tank Tank
-Lost Reavers
-Code Vein
-Scarlet Nexus
-Breakdown

-Digimon
-Gundam

------
Digimon is definetly Bamco, as is Tamagotchi. This is the first I'm hearing about Gundam, though. It WOULD explain that one poll, though...
Yeah, Bamco has some really cool stuff. I'm not sure if I wanna do stages, but it could be a fun thing to do afterwards. The roster's 30 characters, so I wound up not having room for some cool deeper cuts I'd have liked, but hey yknow, if you just put Every Possible Thing in it's not as interesting. Making those decisions is part of the fun!

The roster's almost done. I just have one slot I'm flip-flopping on. Who would be a good pick for a second Digimon rep? The series is kind of daunting to look into, and I looked up who were the most popular characters, and some options did strike me as interesting, but again, kind of a daunting selection. I want someone who really stands out as a unique fighter but is also notable in their own right.
Maybe an obscure one, but maybe Impmon? I remember BrawlFan1 made a Smash moveset for him, if that helps.

Ivander

Smash Legend

It is. Nevertheless, it's good to have a whole list of what's available to look at for what you can do with a character roster. Like even if you put priority into the more notable series, it's good to have the option and variety to pick characters from lesser notable series that could be very interesting or fun gameplay-wise. Otherwise, you end up with the fan rosters that take almost every character from Smash Bros. or Vs. Capcom and have very little originals or newcomers.

A 2nd Digimon rep aside from Agumon? 🤔 I don't know about future Digimon past 2nd Season. If going by my knowledge of the first and 2nd gen, I know Gabumon was often the rival/secondary to Agumon and Patamon and Gatomon with their Angemon forms were recurring and popular. While in terms of a villain, Myotismon was probably the most notable villain, and one of the dangerous ones, who appeared in the first season and became a recurring villain with his re-appearance in the 2nd season.
In terms of anything I know about future Digimon, the only one I can really remember slightly is Impmon, who later got that Digievolution of the humanoid Devil Biker-like Digimon with two weapons, and apparently in the cartoon started as a minion who became a notable villain and later had a redemption arc. Otherwise, I'm in the dark in regards to future Digimon stuff.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
I have a question related to Data East's library ownership.
Karnov's game and IP is owned by Paon DP, and Fighter's Legacy is owned by Marvelous. Karnov appears in those games and how the **** could happed when it comes to re-releases?
it doesn't end here, Atomic Chelnov (another Paon-owned game) appears in the last game of the FH series. I have nothing to answer but many more legality questions.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, a BUNCH of regulators are apparently against it due to anti-competition concerns (which is ironic, given they're fine with some of the stuff Sony has done). But Phil has made it VERY clear he wants the deal to go through, so who knows?
Yeah, it's super dumb that the bigger video game manufacturer is trying to hinder it's 3rd place competitor based on anti-monopoly concerns.

I have no idea how Mario and Rayman are lumped onto the "Scrimblo Bimblo" category even if they aren't anthropomorphic animals.
Scrimbo Bimblo is any cutesy mascot platformer. You don't have to be an animal.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as mascot characters, Pac-Man and Bomberman being regarded as platformer staples makes complete sense given stuff like Pac-Man World and the Bomberman 64 games have had them venture into the genre fairly prominently. Heck, they're arguably the most famous spin-offs subseries of both franchises, given that stuff like Championship Edition and Super Bomberman can be argued as mainline sequels and/or successors rather than off-shoots.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
As far as mascot characters, Pac-Man and Bomberman being regarded as platformer staples makes complete sense given stuff like Pac-Man World and the Bomberman 64 games have had them venture into the genre fairly prominently. Heck, they're arguably the most famous spin-offs subseries of both franchises, given that stuff like Championship Edition and Super Bomberman can be argued as mainline sequels and/or successors rather than off-shoots.
In that case Ryu from Street fighter is a staple of Whack-a-Mole machines.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Laniv

Smash Lord
TBH, I thought they'd wait until the Game Awards:

Well! Here we go again!

Pauline confirmed, but I guess she was a given considering DK and Cranky showing up here

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well! Here we go again!

Pauline confirmed, but I guess she was a given considering DK and Cranky showing up here
Nice. Pauline getting respect. Combined with Penguins appearing and all the references on the poster, they seem like they're getting as many easter eggs as possible.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m just saying if there is an eventuality that Geno happens there better be an Easter egg where this plays after you win a match against Sephiroth:

"They took everything from me. My friends... my future... my RELEVANCE. And they replaced it with some... white-haired man."

(TBH, I just wanted an excuse to share this fanart, but shoutout to anybody who gets the reference).

Anyway, I'm sure Culex would be referenced SOMEHOW if Geno got in. Legend Spirit makes toi much sense, at least.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If there will gen 9 pokemon coming to the next smash game I want it to be Tinkaton her design is just funny and really cool at the same time also I love seeing more hammer users in smash

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If there will gen 9 pokemon coming to the next smash game I want it to be Tinkaton her design is just funny and really cool at the same time also I love seeing more hammer users in smash
I just beat the game a few days ago so I’ve got some thoughts I can expand on later. For now, I’ll just share a few of my favorite designs. I’m not sure if Pokémon names qualify as spoilers so I’ll tag them just to be safe:

I used a Tinkaton on my team the whole game and is one of the only Pokémon I nicknamed (I called her Baby Metal). My favorite of all of the new designs are Lokix, Koraidon, Miraidon, Ceruledge, and Great Tusk. The starters unfortunately continue their trend of not appealing to me with the exception of Meowscarada (sadly, I picked Fuecoco and played without knowing any evolution until I personally saw them in game). I also used an Annihilape and Kingambit, which were both pretty cool as well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i'd say gen 9 has a great selection of pokemon to be playable in smash and tinkaton is certainly one of them. though i get the feeling sak will once again pick an easy one. oh well unlike the rest of the internet i don't mind any of these three starters

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Hello again just a random thought I had recently. Do you guys think that (at least one of) the reasons why we only had 2 Fighter passed could hace been the COVID-19? I mean we know that it did affected the development of them and they didnt knew how much it would last the pandemy so they directly decided to cjt any plans for future DLC (asides of the other reason of Sakurai's own health).

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Would it be alright if I suggested retro Namco characters (like Wonder Momo, Bravoman, and the like)?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i'd say gen 9 has a great selection of pokemon to be playable in smash and tinkaton is certainly one of them. though i get the feeling sak will once again pick an easy one. oh well unlike the rest of the internet i don't mind any of these three starters
While I do really like some of the individual Pokémon designs in this game, the main playable character for Smash I’d love to see is a bit unorthodox.

Huge endgame spoilers:

I really want to see AI Professor Sada that fights with a combination of her own attacks while using some of the prehistoric variants as her specials. I’ve wanted to see an idea like this for a long time and it could be a fun, unique way to represent Pokémon. Even though she never actually physically fought in the game, there’s a ton of potential in a AI machine in combination with Pokémon. She’s also probably my favorite design of any of the human characters in the series.

As far as more conventional choices go, I’d love to seeeither Koraidon or Miraidon. I think they’re probably my favorite pair of cover legends and would be really unique in their own right for Smash characters.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Puppetmon would be extremely unique being both Gun and Hammer user something that no other video game character has besides Smithy from SMRPG

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Because of Sakurai's infamous Fe bias, we're going to get one of the future paradox Pokemon. Probably Iron Valiant or Iron Bundle, maybe both. The rest of them will be Pokeball Pokemon.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hello again just a random thought I had recently. Do you guys think that (at least one of) the reasons why we only had 2 Fighter passed could hace been the COVID-19? I mean we know that it did affected the development of them and they didnt knew how much it would last the pandemy so they directly decided to cjt any plans for future DLC (asides of the other reason of Sakurai's own health).
I’m pretty sure there was only planned to be one Fighters Pass, but the success of Vol. 1 led to the development of Vol. 2; don’t quote me on that, though. That’s just speculation in my part.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I do really like some of the individual Pokémon designs in this game, the main playable character for Smash I’d love to see is a bit unorthodox.

Huge endgame spoilers:

I really want to see AI Professor Sada that fights with a combination of her own attacks while using some of the prehistoric variants as her specials. I’ve wanted to see an idea like this for a long time and it could be a fun, unique way to represent Pokémon. Even though she never actually physically fought in the game, there’s a ton of potential in a AI machine in combination with Pokémon. She’s also probably my favorite design of any of the human characters in the series.

As far as more conventional choices go, I’d love to seeeither Koraidon or Miraidon. I think they’re probably my favorite pair of cover legends and would be really unique in their own right for Smash characters.
to bad turo wouldn’t work as an alt

Top Bottom