• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well, the reason I mentioned him is that by what I heard, Genpei Tōma Den is popular or has a notable following in Japan. And I think it got some attention when Taira no Kagekiyo became a character in Fate Grand Order(as Taira no Kagekiyo was either a historical person or a historical character in the Japanese Epic Heike Monogatari) and part of their material pages/bio bits were references or similarities to Genpei Toma Den.

That said, the Taira no Kagekiyo summoned in Fate Grand Order is a vengeful spirit persona(this would require a long explanation to properly explain) who possessed the dying Yo****sune/Ushiwakamaru when she was betrayed by her brother Yoritomo and harboured resentment towards him for abandoning her and Benkei.
Hey I'm certainly not opposed to it. In fact, I'd ****ing love it.

There should just be a Namco fighting game tbh

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know what's the real horror of the entire industry? Electronic Arts.
Sadly, the ActiBlizz stuff has numbed me to EA...
Besides the ActiBlizzard stuff really overshadowing EA recently, the other thing that I feel has been overshadowing EA recently has been Tencent, NetEase and whatnot, especially in regards to company acquisitions.
There should just be a Namco fighting game tbh
Would certainly like that Namco VS Capcom game or that Sega VS Capcom game at some point, Capcom. Even though I understand Street fighter 6 has to come first and succeed to be able to help kickstart other Capcom fighting games. And even then, Marvel vs Capcom, even with the issues that happened with MvCi, still feels like it has more likelyhood compared to Namco or Sega.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Would certainly like that Namco VS Capcom game or that Sega VS Capcom game at some point, Capcom. Even though I understand Street fighter 6 has to come first and succeed to be able to help kickstart other Capcom fighting games. And even then, Marvel vs Capcom, even with the issues that happened with MvCi, still feels like it has more likelyhood compared to Namco or Sega.
World peace will be achieved when SEGA vs. Capcom is announced

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Unless that hypothetical game has some kind of stupid """rule""" about not including Sonic.
It would be frickin' odd, cause like, this exists.

Megaman and Sonic in a for-real Sega vs Capcom game would easily get alot of attention. I know Sega does alot of very weird choices from time to time(even with discounting music copyright issues), but Megaman with no Sonic sounds like the opposite of what they want.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

Megaman and Sonic in a for-real Sega vs Capcom game would easily get alot of attention. I know Sega does alot of very weird choices from time to time(even with discounting music copyright issues), but Megaman with no Sonic sounds like the opposite of what they want.
Yeah, it was bad cause no Resident Evil or Samba de Amigo.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Sticks better be an unlockable character, I'm just saying...

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yes. And Darkstalkers is designed with tons of horror-based atmospheres. Again, you're the only one pushing "there's only one definition!" as if it's true. When that's not how it works. Reality check; it's a genre with subgenres. It's called Gothic Horror, which specifically Darkstalkers uses. More importantly, the reason it's not on said list is because the list is for horror games where it's a part of the core gameplay. It's... pretty clearly not in Darlkstalkers, but is absolutely a core part of the settings.
It should be common knowledge that horror is meant to be scary. Not sure what you mean by "there's only one definition" as I never really gave a definition of what it is. Just what the general focus of what the horror genre is. And again, what is this list that you're going by? And why you are even going by it?

Lol, B.B. Hood is a horrific person and scary as hell. She uses said cuteness to cause massive despair in-universe with some of the darkest moments and makes all the other Darkstalkers bar Jedah at best look like little children at play. None of them are nearly as serious, even then. The closest otherwise is Dimitri's horrific moments during his Midnight Bliss finishers, but he's also a vampire who is constantly used to create fear over and over again. Unlike Morrigan, whose purpose is sex appeal instead. She only really acts scary sometimes in the cartoon(but they made her a pseudo-vampire there, so it makes sense).
So this series has a Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein monster, a zombie, lizard-like merman, and a bigfoot, but it's just this crazy human girl with man-made weapons that you find to be so scary?

I...don't see that.

Games aren't not only one genre. Also, I just did say that Darkstalkers was listed as a horror series but not on the same list. ...Did you miss that part? Cause I specified it too.
You still didn't tell me what list you're going by.

You are going by one definition, though. You're dismissing tons of games listed under type of horror genre just cause it doesn't fit your sole narrative. Despite it not working that way. Horror isn't a single genre. I just listed multiple types of horror series and genres. I'm not sure why you keep insisting it when it's literally shown to be the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Let me simplify it for you; elements of a genre mean said game exists in that genre too. That's the point of said genre. It always counts.

These are all parts of Horror as a genre(not specifically games or movies in this list, since they can overlap sometimes);
Survival Horror
Action Horror
Gothic Horror
Supernatural Horror
Psychological Horror
(And there's probably more, but it's not exactly easy to find every detail when they're scattered throughout)
Again, what "definition" did I give? That horror is supposed be scary? Because it is and that's always been the case. You're talking about different types of horror, which was never what I was arguing. In fact, that's something I just mentioned in the post you quoted, so listing all of that was unecessary. But no matter what kind of horror it is, in the end, since it is horror, the point of it is always the same thing; it's meant to scare you, creating a terrifying atmosphere for the viewer, player, and even characters.

The reason Doom is not a horror series is because the atmosphere not terrifying. Sure the monsters may look creepy but how can anybody be scared when the music in the background is anything but creepy? It doesn't sound terrifying at all. Plus, it also doesn't help that not even the main character is scared (it's Doom Slayer after all), and in fact, you feel more like a badass when you play him.

Heck, Metroid is also pretty dark too. It's almost like it was done to contrast with Kid Icarus (one game's setting represents Heaven while the other game's setting resembles Hell). It was also influence by the Alien movie but that does make it a horror game too? Nope.

I'm not going to engage further either way. Enough evidence is there to show that your view clearly doesn't match up with the actual genre as it is. Which is what we were talking about in the first place, not the most basic definition of horror and how only "it scares you" is applied to games. But actually games in the horror genre(which as I noted, is pretty massive). I will reiterate that the "Games in the Horror Genre" was made with the concept that the Horror is part of the gameplay to some degree, which admittedly despite everything with Darkstalkers, is barely there. It's just the settings, not the gameplay, so that's likely why it wasn't listed anyway. But saying Darkstalkers clearly has no relations to horror as a game is still off anyway.
I have no idea what the heck you're saying here.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Ever since Namco x Capcom, I have to admit... that game gave me a LOT of Bamco characters I would love to see in Smash, retro characters or otherwise.

Reiji and Xiaomu, KOS-MOS, Taki, Mitsurugi, Klonoa, Valkyrie, Taira, Bravoman, Wonder Momo, Gil, Mappy, Rick Taylor, Wonder Momo, Taizo Hori, Toby Masuyo, Hiromi Tengenji, Tarosuke, Reiko Nagase, and so many more.

All of this being said, I take it no one is aware of Namco Super Heroes?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Ever since Namco x Capcom, I have to admit... that game gave me a LOT of Bamco characters I would love to see in Smash, retro characters or otherwise.

Reiji and Xiaomu, KOS-MOS, Taki, Mitsurugi, Klonoa, Valkyrie, Taira, Bravoman, Wonder Momo, Gil, Mappy, Rick Taylor, Wonder Momo, Taizo Hori, Toby Masuyo, Hiromi Tengenji, Tarosuke, Reiko Nagase, and so many more.

I think that’s a fan game that eventually turned into Namco Wonder Fight. The original version had Valkyrie, Wonder Momo, Bravoman, Rick Taylor and Gilgamesh as playable characters, and the newer version added in Black Bravoman, Waya-Hime, Kagekiyo and Princess Ki as playable characters. Personally, I’d replace BB, WH and Ki with Pac-Man, Taizo Hori and Tarosuke but other than that, seems like a fighting game I’d play!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think that’s a fan game that eventually turned into Namco Wonder Fight. The original version had Valkyrie, Wonder Momo, Bravoman, Rick Taylor and Gilgamesh as playable characters, and the newer version added in Black Bravoman, Waya-Hime, Kagekiyo and Princess Ki as playable characters. Personally, I’d replace BB, WH and Ki with Pac-Man, Taizo Hori and Tarosuke but other than that, seems like a fighting game I’d play!
Yup, that's the one! Is that game still getting updates, by the way? No joke, I really hope that game continues to flourish. I even spoke to the creator of that game via Twitter, and they admitted that, yes, Namco x Capcom had a HUGE influence on the game's roster. Thank goodness too, because their roster really appeals to me, if I'm being honest.

For one thing, I'm just grateful they didn't just bloat the roster with Tekken and Soul Calibur characters. Though, I wouldn't mind Jin Kazama...

I have to ask though, are Pac-Man, Taizo, and Tarosuke STILL not added to this game yet? On that note, any word on characters like Toby, Hiromi, or the like?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yup, that's the one! Is that game still getting updates, by the way? No joke, I really hope that game continues to flourish. I even spoke to the creator of that game via Twitter, and they admitted that, yes, Namco x Capcom had a HUGE influence on the game's roster. Thank goodness too, because their roster really appeals to me, if I'm being honest.

For one thing, I'm just grateful they didn't just bloat the roster with Tekken and Soul Calibur characters. Though, I wouldn't mind Jin Kazama...

I have to ask though, are Pac-Man, Taizo, and Tarosuke STILL not added to this game yet? On that note, any word on characters like Toby, Hiromi, or the like?
I have no further updates on the game myself. I’ve only recently heard of it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
No I'm not? looks it up

Oh, that explains why I never heard of it. It's a fan game. looks up gameplay

More polished than I was expecting. And the music is pretty good. Not bad for a fan game...wait, sees Namco Wonder Fight Wait, is that? goes to video

Well, pretty cool intro, even if it's based on has no music yet, the gameplay is more polished and previous characters have more moves, 4 new characters as well as a penultimate boss(Black Valkyrie) and a final boss(who I don't know if it's an original or possibly from another Namco game, maybe Yokai Dochuki) and there's also a 2v2 mode as well. Also, while I'm not sure if the creator is working on the game, but after looking at who the creator is, this could be their youtube account and they last posted a video on the 8th this month.
Honestly, quite impressed. It's only for exhibition right now, but still, if they are still working on this, I'll certainly keep an eye on them.

Speed Weed Speed Weed
Since you seem to have a thing for Kagekiyo, here's the Wonder Fight video featuring him.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If Ridley got in Smash cuz a loophole about his size, then the Bamco REP (GameFAQs reference lol) can be a down-sized Mazinkaiser from Super Robot Wars. It appeared before the anime and it's original to the series even if it's based on the original Mazinger Z.
If your going to go with SRW you have to go the Sora route and only represent the game original material, and Mazikaizer is still piloted by an anime character.

So it would make more sense to go with a downsized Gespents or Cybuster due to being associated with major original characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i finished violet earlier and if i may i liked to mention some things id's like to see in smash

obviously i'm in favour of scream tale being an alt or echo. secondly i really would love to see someone from the nacli line come from pokeballs and salt curing people. i think area zero would make for quite the stage a long with a remix of the area's bgm. also i feel cyclizar would make the idea gen rep as the halfway point between the two version mascots

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
i finished violet earlier and if i may i liked to mention some things id's like to see in smash

obviously i'm in favour of scream tale being an alt or echo. secondly i really would love to see someone from the nacli line come from pokeballs and salt curing people. i think area zero would make for quite the stage a long with a remix of the area's bgm. also i feel cyclizar would make the idea gen rep as the halfway point between the two version mascots
At this point, whatever starter Pokemon Ash will catch in the next series will have its final evolution as a fighter.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
****** be like:

"Oh, if Undertale's Megalovania was originally used for an bloody and edgy EarthBound ROM Hack Toby Fox made centuries ago, that means any fan content from already-represented franchises is fair game. #ChefPeePee4Smash. #HalAndJeff4Smash"
That's not how representation works. Fox wrote the music before the hack.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At this point, whatever starter Pokemon Ash will catch in the next series will have its final evolution as a fighter.
that's not true at all. sakurai told us why he picked greninja and inceneroar and neither of them had anything to do with the anime

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that's not true at all. sakurai told us why he picked greninja and inceneroar and neither of them had anything to do with the anime
Indeed.

We did however get Ash-Greninja only well after Greninja was chosen, and due to the timing, Incineroar wasn't prominent in the anime by default(though it is noted he was already shown to be Ash's companion in the concept art). It's possible Greninja was decided to be important to the anime since they knew Sakurai was choosing it. Incineroar however was pretty clearly chosen as important to the anime well before, but it still had no relation to Sakurai's decision. It is a pretty neat coincidence that Incineroar is important to the anime while Decidueye is a minor character there, heh.

However, that doesn't mean the character can't be chosen because of the anime this time either. It's all about timing at this point. If there's no new Pokemon in development at the time, and he needs one from the latest Gen? It's easy to go with one that's already planned or already is, prominent. Much like everyone before Lucario(as well as some of Pokemon Trainer. Except Ivysaur. Probably would've been Venusaur if Blastoise was used, though).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Indeed.

We did however get Ash-Greninja only well after Greninja was chosen, and due to the timing, Incineroar wasn't prominent in the anime by default(though it is noted he was already shown to be Ash's companion in the concept art). It's possible Greninja was decided to be important to the anime since they knew Sakurai was choosing it. Incineroar however was pretty clearly chosen as important to the anime well before, but it still had no relation to Sakurai's decision. It is a pretty neat coincidence that Incineroar is important to the anime while Decidueye is a minor character there, heh.
i think its cause rowlet is the more popular form in japan

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i think its cause rowlet is the more popular form in japan
Rowlet was also still not as prominent as any of Incineroar's forms, so it's not just that. They didn't want any of the line to be rather prominent, just a supporting character(for Rowlet) and a one-off minor rival(for Decidiueye). It's likely why Ash even got a Rowlet, though. Still nice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Rowlet was also still not as prominent as any of Incineroar's forms, so it's not just that. They didn't want any of the line to be rather prominent, just a supporting character(for Rowlet) and a one-off minor rival(for Decidiueye). It's likely why Ash even got a Rowlet, though. Still nice.
id say ash’s rowlet was just as prominent as his litten in the series

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sadly, the ActiBlizz stuff has numbed me to EA...
I’m just hoping that the acquisition from Microsoft can really help address ActiBlizz’s toxic work environment. I love a ton of their characters and design but everything going on with them in recent years has made me hesitant to want to play anything from them. If Microsoft is able to address their issues, I would gladly support many of their characters in Smash but until then, I don’t blame anyone for wanting nothing to do with them.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
No I'm not? looks it up

Oh, that explains why I never heard of it. It's a fan game. looks up gameplay

More polished than I was expecting. And the music is pretty good. Not bad for a fan game...wait, sees Namco Wonder Fight Wait, is that? goes to video

Well, pretty cool intro, even if it's based on has no music yet, the gameplay is more polished and previous characters have more moves, 4 new characters as well as a penultimate boss(Black Valkyrie) and a final boss(who I don't know if it's an original or possibly from another Namco game, maybe Yokai Dochuki) and there's also a 2v2 mode as well. Also, while I'm not sure if the creator is working on the game, but after looking at who the creator is, this could be their youtube account and they last posted a video on the 8th this month.
Honestly, quite impressed. It's only for exhibition right now, but still, if they are still working on this, I'll certainly keep an eye on them.

Speed Weed Speed Weed
Since you seem to have a thing for Kagekiyo, here's the Wonder Fight video featuring him.
Seriously, I wonder if this could be pitched to Bandai Namco themselves. Like, this game is REALLY polished, and it's even what makes me want more classic Namco characters for Smash Bros.

Or at the very least, a Namco crossover FIGHTING game, if anything.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m just hoping that the acquisition from Microsoft can really help address ActiBlizz’s toxic work environment. I love a ton of their characters and design but everything going on with them in recent years has made me hesitant to want to play anything from them. If Microsoft is able to address their issues, I would gladly support many of their characters in Smash but until then, I don’t blame anyone for wanting nothing to do with them.
Unfortunately, a BUNCH of regulators are apparently against it due to anti-competition concerns (which is ironic, given they're fine with some of the stuff Sony has done). But Phil has made it VERY clear he wants the deal to go through, so who knows?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Seriously, I wonder if this could be pitched to Bandai Namco themselves. Like, this game is REALLY polished, and it's even what makes me want more classic Namco characters for Smash Bros.

Or at the very least, a Namco crossover FIGHTING game, if anything.
This convo spurred a desire in me to make a Bamco fighting roster. I'd tried it beforehand, but always gave up early on. I already have a decent idea of which characters I wanna add, but do you have any suggestions yourself? Some picks you think would be fun?

This goes for other people here too btw, I want yall's feedback on this

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This convo spurred a desire in me to make a Bamco fighting roster. I'd tried it beforehand, but always gave up early on. I already have a decent idea of which characters I wanna add, but do you have any suggestions yourself? Some picks you think would be fun?

This goes for other people here too btw, I want yall's feedback on this
If I say Klonoa, will you get mad at me?

Top Bottom