• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Anybody heard of Trails in the Sky? Estelle Bright got top 100 in the source gaming poll. Is that a new face to speculate?

And 9 votes for this French character. I think he looks cooler than Glass Joe.
Count_Harebourg (1).png
Count_harebourg.png

A Metal Slug rep has better chances than these characters. But now I'm talking about maybe the hundredth characters Sakurai would add. And I won't be surprised if the next smash has less than 16 newcomers.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Anybody heard of Trails in the Sky? Estelle Bright got top 100 in the source gaming poll. Is that a new face to speculate?
I was just thinking about her recently! If she was a DLC character, it would probably help her be more well-known (ideally with a Switch port of Trails in the Sky FC, but realistically that would be one heck of a hassle).

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Might wanna ask the mods first. Not sure if that's the kinda thread you can make here.

But hey: if worse comes to worse, I'm sure Wikipedia would have SOMETHING on those games.
I figured making a Wakfu thread in the Gaming section is better than talking about it in smash speculation.

Edit: How is it any different from the Street Fighter 6 or Level-5 threads?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I made a roster of 18 characters I think have a chance of being in whatever comes next for Smash
myroster (3).png

Wavered on whether I should put Noah and Mio in the same spot or not but I decided to have them together

I'll type up my reasonings for each soon I just wanna cover my bases first before I get to anything (Though I imagine I'm gonna get a lot of questions anyhow lmao)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I made a roster of 18 characters I think have a chance of being in whatever comes next for Smash
View attachment 364068
Wavered on whether I should put Noah and Mio in the same spot or not but I decided to have them together

I'll type up my reasonings for each soon I just wanna cover my bases first before I get to anything (Though I imagine I'm gonna get a lot of questions anyhow lmao)
You added BWD, Legionis, Ayumi, Jonesy (yes I like Fortnite, don't judge me), and Monokuma, so it's good as far as I'm concerned. Though Kasumi over Hayabusa IS a unique choice...

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
View attachment 364068

Who's viola? They look really cool.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
View attachment 364068

A chance, for the most part, yeah. Though it is a pretty widely variable selection, chance-wise.

I will say that there's not much point holding out hope for Zoroark though. It's a big enough gamble they'd choose that one to promote L:A, but given how close it released to S/V, and how far in advance they can hold the Pokemon spot, there's no realistic timeframe that game would've been chosen over gen 9. Especially going forward.

Also yeah Kasumi over Ryu is pretty unlikely as well.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
A chance, for the most part, yeah. Though it is a pretty widely variable selection, chance-wise.

I will say that there's not much point holding out hope for Zoroark though. It's a big enough gamble they'd choose that one to promote L:A, but given how close it released to S/V, and how far in advance they can hold the Pokemon spot, there's no realistic timeframe that game would've been chosen over gen 9. Especially going forward.

Also yeah Kasumi over Ryu is pretty unlikely as well.
Okay

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
View attachment 364068

You don't think Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer have chances too?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You don't think Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer have chances too?
I think Ryu Hayabusa has a chance I just personally have a hunch they would go with Kasumi, I’ll explain later my reasoning for her but I wanna make it clear him not being there isn’t me specifically ruling him out.

I forgot to mention this is for a hypothetical expansion to Smash Ultimate building off from that so I didn’t add any characters who are Mii Costumes, Assist Trophies, or etc. So characters like Doom Slayer aren’t on here.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
does anyone else miss chao gardens?
Vastly. Some could argue that it and 6 fully playable characters(or more) is the true sign of a Sonic Adventure sequel.

...Either way, they're very fun and cute. Less so how tedious getting them at a high enough level to win extremely hard races/karate, but otherwise, fun!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
SNK and Disney aren't really heavy hitters like Microsoft and Capcom. I don't think Club Penguin is realistic.
Disney does have heavy hitters like Star Wars and marvel games but i guess it doesn’t count
Club Penguin is the most realistic Disney rep even more so than Kingdom hearts that requires 2 big company agreements and the fact that devs thought it was impossible to add.
If Nintendo or Sakurai wanted to represent MMO genre then Club Penguin would make sense to include

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Club Penguin is the most realistic Disney rep even more so than Kingdom hearts
Did you like... miss the fact Sora is literally already in Smash? The door's already been opened for them, why would they push for a character from a long-dead IP they never cared about in the first place over the character they already agree to

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Did you like... miss the fact Sora is literally already in Smash? The door's already been opened for them, why would they push for a character from a long-dead IP they never cared about in the first place over the character they already agree to
Not really but it’s more regarding who is easier to obtain in comparison to sora
also same could be said about Banjo being dead IP even longer than club Penguin but if there would be a lot of demand for Club Penguin rep by the next smash game then it is not impossible the community is also still alive

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Disney does have heavy hitters like Star Wars and marvel games but i guess it doesn’t count
Club Penguin is the most realistic Disney rep even more so than Kingdom hearts that requires 2 big company agreements and the fact that devs thought it was impossible to add.
Club Penguin is not the most realistic Disney game, and it never was. It was a PC-based flash game that I'm assuming had probably no noteworthy presence in Japan, nor any demand for Smash, and was discontinued several years ago. This isn't the kind of thing that Nintendo seems to seek out.

Might as well add Runescape and Adventure Quest.

Kingdom Hearts may be legally complicated, but it was popular worldwide, a console-oriented series, made in Japan, and heavily requested. Even when it wasn't seen as particularly realistic to expect Sora, it was still more realistic than Club Penguin.

Not really but it’s more regarding who is easier to obtain in comparison to sora
Being easier to obtain is not the same as being realistic. Not the least of which because... we got the hard to obtain character. We got several hard to obtain characters. Smash doesn't choose its third-parties on the basis of ease.

also same could be said about Banjo being dead IP even longer than club Penguin but if there would be a lot of demand for Club Penguin rep by the next smash game then it is not impossible the community is also still alive
Do you really want to go on record thinking Banjo and Club Penguin is a solid equivalency?

Don't let your bias carry you away here. Club Penguin isn't going to become some fan favorite for Smash... probably ever, but certainly not before the next Smash, being a dead flash game.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Club Penguin is not the most realistic Disney game, and it never was. It was a PC-based flash game that I'm assuming had probably no noteworthy presence in Japan, nor any demand for Smash, and was discontinued several years ago. This isn't the kind of thing that Nintendo seems to seek out.

Might as well add Runescape and Adventure Quest.

Kingdom Hearts may be legally complicated, but it was popular worldwide, a console-oriented series, made in Japan, and heavily requested. Even when it wasn't seen as particularly realistic to expect Sora, it was still more realistic than Club Penguin.

Being easier to obtain is not the same as being realistic. Not the least of which because... we got the hard to obtain character. We got several hard to obtain characters. Smash doesn't choose its third-parties on the basis of ease.

Do you really want to go on record thinking Banjo and Club Penguin is a solid equivalency?

Don't let your bias carry you away here. Club Penguin isn't going to become some fan favorite for Smash... probably ever, but certainly not before the next Smash, being a dead flash game.
I would think the whole thing about Japan would be a big issue but I think ultimate has shown us that Sakurai or Nintendo were more open with non Japanese characters also club Penguin did have 3 games exclusively on Nintendo consoles
I do not think being a discounted game would decided a fate that the characters can’t be in smash but as long as it gets supported by the community then certainly there is a chance

regarding popularity between Kingdom hearts and Club Penguin in a worldwide scale way more have played club Penguin than kingdom hearts due to the fact it had more than 330 million users in it and that’s way bigger number than people who played kingdom hearts but I do agree kingdom hearts is the more popular in Japan

I could definitely say that both banjo and club Penguin do have a lot of fans but I am not sure what kind of comparison you mean but if you mean smash demands then yeah banjo was top ballout pick due to Phil spencer speaking out about it that made banjo fanbase wake up and vote for him so much after most of them thought it was impossible pick

regarding if it’s going to be a fan favorite or not it’s important to note that so many people do miss that game just like people misses banjo and that game was recreated multiple times due to that and it still does have a community and a lot of fans and pretty sure Disney is aware of that going on after the game shut down

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know Club Penguin was pretty popular among kids and a lot of people are nostalgic for it but there are seriously a lot more realistic MMO character contenders before we even begin to entertain the idea.

Not saying people shouldn't want or talk about it but I think it's a little futile to compare the player numbers of a free flash game to console releases for a lot of reasons.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've been saying it on this thread, but I see a record of sustained relevance as a better measure of worth than something as ephemeral and erratic as current relevance.

So on that note a Club Penguin character could work.

But as far as MMOs go, we'll probably get a (World of) Warcraft character first.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I've been saying it on this thread, but I see a record of sustained relevance as a better measure of worth than something as ephemeral and erratic as current relevance.

So on that note a Club Penguin character could work.

But as far as MMOs go, we'll probably get a (World of) Warcraft character first.
Tbh I think world of Warcraft rep is already overshadowed by 3 other Microsoft reps that are heavily demanded plus no Nintendo appearance could be a barrier like at least Master Cheif was in fortnite in nintendo switch to make him a bit more viable pick
I think League of legends or Club Penguin would be more likely for MMO rep since they had games in Nintendo consoles and don’t have much to compete for a spot from their perspective company

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I would think the whole thing about Japan would be a big issue but I think ultimate has shown us that Sakurai or Nintendo were more open with non Japanese characters also club Penguin did have 3 games exclusively on Nintendo consoles
Non-Japanese characters who were still successful in Japan. Characters that are basically non-entities in Japan are going to have a much harder go.

And yes Club Penguin did have appearances on Nintendo consoles, but those games were spin-offs never localized in Japan.

I do not think being a discounted game would decided a fate that the characters can’t be in smash but as long as it gets supported by the community then certainly there is a chance
...but Club Penguin isn't a supported candidate by any notable measure. And even if it was, it's hard enough for actually supported characters with almost exclusively western standing to get in.

regarding popularity between Kingdom hearts and Club Penguin in a worldwide scale way more have played club Penguin than kingdom hearts due to the fact it had more than 330 million users in it and that’s way bigger number than people who played kingdom hearts but I do agree kingdom hearts is the more popular in Japan
Again you've got to look at it through the lens of the qualities that matter to Smash. Club Penguin was big, but so is GTA, so is Call of Duty, so is WoW. But these aren't necessarily the games Smash goes for, and hence are also not highly expected.

I could definitely say that both banjo and club Penguin do have a lot of fans but I am not sure what kind of comparison you mean but if you mean smash demands then yeah banjo was top ballout pick due to Phil spencer speaking out about it that made banjo fanbase wake up and vote for him so much after most of them thought it was impossible pick
I mean that saying both Club Penguin and Banjo being "dead" is basically the only thing they have in common, and using the latter as justification for the former overlooks all the actual reasons Banjo had Smash-based popularity and got included which Club Penguin lacks.

regarding if it’s going to be a fan favorite or not it’s important to note that so many people do miss that game just like people misses banjo and that game was recreated multiple times due to that and it still does have a community and a lot of fans and pretty sure Disney is aware of that going on after the game shut down
But saying it could be a fan favorite means nothing so long as it isn't. If it becomes that one day then it will be. Until it is, you can't use that as a point. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, it isn't. Not just that, it has barely any requests. Yeah, it still has fans, but I bet it used to have more when it was active, and back then it still wasn't a big request.

Not every popular series in gaming translates to a popular series for Smash.

The only thing I can imagine that would change that would be to get a character of a comparable background included, and then having the fanbase look to similar series. But that's not going to happen now when we're not getting characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to remember; your ideal character doesn't really mean it's likely for Smash. Even if it's a big character on its own? That doesn't necessarily mean it's likely for Smash either.

I'm speaking as someone who has a character with a sizeable fanbase for a Nintendo exclusive series(though Third Party regardless). And let's be real, Quest 64 doesn't really have the notoriety that Club Penguin got in terms of "bigness" either. Albeit, it's not like Club Penguin is that big either.

Overall, try to ignore biases a bit when arguing for a character beyond your personal wishlist. Bias does exist, of course, but Sakurai is only human and of course will be biased in who he chooses to some degree. It's impossible not to be.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tbh I think world of Warcraft rep is already overshadowed by 3 other Microsoft reps that are heavily demanded plus no Nintendo appearance could be a barrier like at least Master Cheif was in fortnite in nintendo switch to make him a bit more viable pick
Master Chief would get in because he's Master Chief. Being a Microsoft property is incidental because his popularity is at it's core organic. All characters' popularity are organic, subject to evolution, with the top listers having the largest or most "vocal" followings. Whether
Microsoft holding Chief is a blessing or curse is up to you. I wanted sora to be chief for a bit and was kinda let down when it wasn't but who knows maybe next go.

Incidentally! ... May I ask?

Who are these other two that stand above all the mmo reps Microsoft owns and that aren't already in?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Master Chief would get in because he's Master Chief. Being a Microsoft property is incidental because his popularity is at it's core organic. All characters' popularity are organic, subject to evolution, with the top listers having the largest or most "vocal" followings. Whether
Microsoft holding Chief is a blessing or curse is up to you. I wanted sora to be chief for a bit and was kinda let down when it wasn't but who knows maybe next go.

Incidentally! ... May I ask?

Who are these other two that stand above all the mmo reps Microsoft owns and that aren't already in?
Tbh I think some of the demand is precisely because Chief is Microsoft's mascot. And Smash is, after all, a mascot brawler. I think part of why people want to see Chief is to see competing mascots go head to head, in the same vein as Sonic. Which also gives Chief roundabout Nintendo association through rivalry.

Of course it's also because of Halo just being Halo, and Chief being Chief. But I don't think his ownership is totally incidental like, for example, Slayer's is.

Who I'm guessing is one of the other two, along with Crash.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Watching my fave be a 3rd party collectable 2 games in row has taught me to be cautious. Still remaining optimistic with him showing up in Mario Rabbids 2 and starting to get merch

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Something to remember; your ideal character doesn't really mean it's likely for Smash. Even if it's a big character on its own? That doesn't necessarily mean it's likely for Smash either.

I'm speaking as someone who has a character with a sizeable fanbase for a Nintendo exclusive series(though Third Party regardless). And let's be real, Quest 64 doesn't really have the notoriety that Club Penguin got in terms of "bigness" either. Albeit, it's not like Club Penguin is that big either.

Overall, try to ignore biases a bit when arguing for a character beyond your personal wishlist. Bias does exist, of course, but Sakurai is only human and of course will be biased in who he chooses to some degree. It's impossible not to be.
I wasn’t trying to be biased but but I think the difference between Disney and other 3rd party companies that are represented in smash is that Disney only has 2 game franchises that are realistic to choose from being kingdom hearts and club Penguin to get added to smash while the rest of the company are 4th parties and won’t get the chance and the same also applies to Warner bros they only got mortal kombat and scribblenauts that are realistic to choose from and the rest are 4th parties

however I do not think club Penguin rep is likely never said it was but I only said all of this in case nintendo or Sakurai would decided to go for a 2nd Disney rep if sora comes back

dream1ng

Smash Lord
While we look at things in terms of "next rep from [insert company]", that doesn't seem to be how they actually do it. It's not a case of picking the company then choosing the character, they just evaluate third-parties based on the character or the series itself, with the company almost always being incidental.

To that end, when you discard the ownership, you can see why some companies like SNK or Disney really don't look too favorable in their chances. Picture all the third-parties as one entity, and then ask if, from all gaming series, they'd really choose Metal Slug or Club Penguin when they could choose Halo or Devil May Cry or Crash Bandicoot or Monster Hunter or Dark Souls and the like... because that's, in effect, probably closer to how the devs look at it.

So really, the only other Disney character that stands anything more than the remotest of chances is another Kingdom Hearts character. And that could happen, but it could also very easily not. I feel pretty safe in wagering we won't be seeing Penguin from Club Penguin or Guybrush Threepwood any time soon.

Quillion

Smash Hero
When will guys in this thread start being upfront about what they think should happen rather than speculating and debating what's likely or safe?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
When will guys in this thread start being upfront about what they think should happen rather than speculating and debating what's likely or safe?
People are biased, but ya can’t just paint everyone with a broad paint brush and say that people only think things they want are likely.

Are there clear examples of bias? Sure, look at SourceGaming’s prediction roster. I think most people could agree that cutting multiple RPG characters and adding five platforming newcomers is a tinge biased. You have your biases about wanting newcomers with more legacy instead of the new hotness. Everyone has biases: it’s about minimizing them.

For example, I think Genshin Impact has a very strong shot of being in the next smash. With the evidence of its success in Japan and the West, I think it has a very strong shot given the Genshin train is not stopping anytime soon. I think League of Legends is likely to be considered as well given how huge it is. Would I want either of those to be in smash? Not particularly. I’m sure plenty of the people expecting a Gen 9/10 Pokémon don’t have a strong dog in that race.

If I had control of what smash “should” look like, my predictions would be wildly different than what they are right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom