• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
I would go with:
  1. Bandana Dee
  2. Raven Beak
  3. Toxtricity
  4. Crash Bandicoot
  5. Amaterasu
  6. Heavy

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
Doing it again cause I don't even agree with my own old choices anymore.

1. BotW Champion Urbosa
2. Raven Beak
3. Conker
4. Amaterasu
5. Bandana Dee
6. Ori
Bonus 777. Isaac

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
1. Hat Kid
2. Pheonix Wright
3. Agumon
4. Lara Croft
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Master Chief

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like doing other peoples' list or criteria. My most-wanteds are basically these 3.

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Spyro
3. Master Chief

Cloud, Sora and Banjo used to be on this list with Spyro not quite making the top 5 then and Sephiroth being what I considered a pipedream. For real I use to rationalize Sephiroth as a boss battle before I considered him for a playable fighter despite how much I wanted it to happen. Sakurai legitimately blew my mind with that reveal and I appreciate his willingness to pursue the character.

There are other characters I'd like of course. Waluigi, Skull Kid, Dr. Robotnik, Tails, Knuckles, Scorpion, Terra, Kefka, Sukapon, a Warcraft rep, Zagreus, Conker, King Boo, and the like but they're not really the big ones I really really want. I'd just really be excited for any of them but in a passive way. I'm legitimately asking for my listed 3 still.

If EiH returned and I got these 3 I legitimately would feel wrong to ask for any more characters, especially since I only really want 3rd-party stuff. I guess at that point I'd just have a top 5 or so of most-interesteds rather than most-wanteds haha.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Bill Rizer
3. Rayman
4. Scorpion
5. Crono
6. Nahobino
7. Billy/Jimmy Lee (BONUS)

But honestly, this list could be a little longer.. There are some characters that I think should be upgraded to playable characters and should have been on that list too, especially Doom Slayer. I think he deserves more.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Bill Rizer
3. Rayman
4. Scorpion
5. Crono
6. Nahobino
7. Billy/Jimmy Lee (BONUS)

But honestly, this list could be a little longer.. There are some characters that I think should be upgraded to playable characters and should have been on that list too, especially Doom Slayer. I think he deserves more.
Our lists ended up pretty close. Our bonus characters even starred in a crossover game together lol. (I went with the Battletoads.)

Yeah, a lot of my personal most wanted characters were nowhere on that list. I suppose that’s to be expected because I tend to have weird taste in characters.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
I know it's old hat now but...

7 fighters, 6 on the list and 1 not... I'll go with a 5/2 third/first party split. My choices are Arle, Frisk, Crash, Heavy and Phoenix Wright for the third parties, and Bandana Dee and Waluigi for the first parties. A mix between more new third parties, further expansion on other third parties, and of course popularity (there's no dedicated fall guy like Byleth), personal desire, and moveset diversity with regards to balance.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
1. Crash
2. BWD
3. Lara Croft
4. Ryu Hayabusa
5. Sol Badguy
6. Cheating a little here but Arceus as Gen 8 with Legends Trainer
Bonus: Officer Howard

Speaking of PLA, with how well it is selling I would not be shocked if it manages to get a rep as well in the next game. If anyone wants I can elaborate on that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Completely random, but it turns out Geno MIGHT have something going for him in Smash:
Considering Paper Mario has gone in a new direction(still an rpg, but less rpg mechanics than before), this would be really cool.

Although to be honest, this feels about as likely as them putting the original SMRPG on Switch...
I mean, licensing is a factor here. Maybe it's a matter of not being able to get the right price overall that they feel is "fair" so they can sell it just right. It can be rather complicated for third party licensing. There's tons of potential details. There's been a lot of Square-Enix games coming over too, so who knows what's going on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Completely random, but it turns out Geno MIGHT have something going for him in Smash:

Although to be honest, this feels about as likely as them putting the original SMRPG on Switch...
This is not good news for Geno, this is good news for Super Mario RPG lovers. That's a broader term, as Geno isn't guaranteed in any shape or form to be in a sequel to SMRPG.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is not good news for Geno, this is good news for Super Mario RPG lovers. That's a broader term, as Geno isn't guaranteed in any shape or form to be in a sequel to SMRPG.
I was just thinking that about Geno. He is still owned by Square-Enix, is he not? There would be a chance that they would have to make Super Mario RPG 2 without Geno if Square-Enix does not want to cooperate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’d be pretty excited for that. I loved Super Mario RPG but never really cared much about the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi series. I’d be interested in hearing if this is going to be another collaboration with Square-Enix if true.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
That's nice. The real question is does Nintendo want a SMRPG2? If yes, by the same company as the last one? If yes, with the same cast? And do they want all that enough to pursue it?

Once all those lights are green, then it's good news for Geno.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's nice. The real question is does Nintendo want a SMRPG2? If yes, by the same company as the last one? If yes, with the same cast? And do they want all that enough to pursue it?

Once all those lights are green, then it's good news for Geno.
For what it's worth, Square and Nintendo are on good terms again, if this past Direct is anything to go by.

Then again, I'm one of those weird people who wants to see what MonolithSoft could do with Mario, so what do I know?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, Square and Nintendo are on good terms again, if this past Direct is anything to go by.

Then again, I'm one of those weird people who wants to see what MonolithSoft could do with Mario, so what do I know?
Yes Square and Nintendo seem to have the best relationship they've had since the SNES, but that in and of itself is only one piece of what would facilitate all those other contingencies.

And on the other hand, Square has already been making Mario games intermittently for a while, and Nintendo has been publishing Square titles in the west for a while, so it's not like the relationship only recently thawed. The two have already been collaborating for a while. It really started again basically after Yamauchi stepped down, which was a long time ago, at this point.

Ivander

Smash Legend
For me:
  1. Cinderace
  2. Crash
  3. BWD
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Neku
  6. Phoenix Wright
Okay....if I had to pick:
  1. Ryu Hayabusa
  2. Reimu
  3. Raven Beak
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Chosen Undead
  6. Master Chief
  7. Bonus: Shovel Knight

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Looks more like a beat'em'up than a fighter.

So please, no ironic or unironic "sMaSh KiLlEr?!?!?!?!?!?" jokes.
Agreed lol so upon further examination:

Yeah I think it's not going to really "compete" with Smash and apparently it's been out for awhile on iOS. I prolly never noticed because I don't play mobile games anymore don't have an apple device and definitely wouldn't play a fighter on mobile.

It's supposedly been mostly compared to ssb so I'm guessing it's definitely a platform fighter...

Eh, if it's got a free demo or something I'll try it. We definitely enjoyed the Lego Star Wars and Lego Batman games... Maybe it's fun.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Agreed lol so upon further examination:

Yeah I think it's not going to really "compete" with Smash and apparently it's been out for awhile on iOS. I prolly never noticed because I don't play mobile games anymore don't have an apple device and definitely wouldn't play a fighter on mobile.

It's supposedly been mostly compared to ssb so I'm guessing it's definitely a platform fighter...

Eh, if it's got a free demo or something I'll try it. We definitely enjoyed the Lego Star Wars and Lego Batman games... Maybe it's fun.
When I played it on my iPad some years ago, it was usually so laggy that I couldn’t, like, meaningfully use my standard melee attacks against other players beyond just mashing and hoping for the best, so I had to focus on running around the map to get useful weapons from item boxes (you make a loadout before the match that determines what weapons you can get from the boxes) and then using those. Fortunately, there was (and hopefully still is?? IDK) a cool tech skill where, if you input a charge attack and then immediately jump, you launch yourself really far at high speed, so slinging myself around the map was pretty fun. It’s hard to do the dash jump thing using just the touchscreen, but it’s easy to do with a controller. It was also kind of hard to find matches at the time that I played it, but maybe the new ports will alleviate that?

Anwyay, it really isn’t much like Smash beyond being PvP and involving platforming. Maybe it’s more of platform mini-MOBA, actually…?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People were literally saying the exact same thing regarding Earthbound (and Earthbound Beginnings) and we just got them on NSO last week.

I'm sure SMRPG will come over at some point.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I'm at a loss for words at the moment.
Brawlhalla, Nick All-Stars Brawl, Multiversus, now this?

If you ask me. It seems we're in an era of a Smash-Clone Renaissance.

And I love it!

Sooner or later Microsoft is gonna have the join in on it! Or Sony making another attempt as PSASBR.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
People were literally saying the exact same thing regarding Earthbound (and Earthbound Beginnings) and we just got them on NSO last week.

I'm sure SMRPG will come over at some point.
That's not really the same thing though since the Mother games are first-party and SMRPG is owned in part by Square.

SMRPG may show up at some point, but notable third-parties are infrequent on the NSO and I don't think there are any Square-made ones there atm.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. I mean, a direct sequel could expand upon the characters and setting of the first game. However, it could just as likely be more of its own thing, with the only elements really connecting it to the original Super Mario RPG (as opposed to Paper Mario or Mario&Luigi) being something like the 3-member party system and maybe the artstyle.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
However, it could just as likely be more of its own thing, with the only elements really connecting it to the original Super Mario RPG (as opposed to Paper Mario or Mario&Luigi) being something like the 3-member party system and maybe the artstyle.
Oh **** no. Please don't let it be the art style.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh **** no. Please don't let it be the art style.
I dunno, I think that art style had a certain charm to it. I actually liked the e pre-rendered 3D models from the SNES era. Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of my favorite looking games on the console but I understand that everyone has their own opinion. I could see them going for a clay inspired aesthetic if they want to call back to the look of the original game. That would look pretty cool in my opinion.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I don't see what would be so bad about SMRPG2 using a similar art style. It would be brought up-to-date with our current technology, so it wouldn't be sprites, and the 3D renders for characters wouldn't look so goofy, like how they did in the original.

This indie game takes heavy inspiration from SMRPG, and looks quite good, imo. Imagine what could be achieved with a Nintendo and/or Square-Enix budget, as well as their character designs!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Ngl :213: in Smash is kinda hype he can be the slowest fighter but be the hardest to launch
also its both Rock and Bug type representation which we dont have yet in smash
People say they added Incineroar because of it being good in competitive (which is BS), I say we go full force and add Landorus Thearian.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
View attachment 345230View attachment 345231View attachment 345232

The Hisiuan forms for the new starters official art was revealed. Gotta say, they did a knockout job with these three. I know early leaks were lukewarm but the set here is aces.
I’m not mad at any of them. I’d say that Samurott is an improvement and the other two are good in their own way. I still like OG Typhlosion the most out of all these starters but the new ghost form looks really cool in battle. It’s face just looks a little derpy.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some characters from old Nintendo video games that did not gain recognition:

Tin Star (Tin Star)
Unicycle (Uniracers) although Pixar had sued for this
John Raimi (Geist)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Fighter Hayabusa (Pro Wrestling)
Mike Jones (StarTropics series)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
Kevin (Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics)

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The LA starter designs are fine, not great IMO. None of them are mons I care much for to begin with anyway, so I think this will be one of those PKMN games where I basically just don't use my starter (except maybe to fill the dex entries).

Stratos

Smash Ace
So far I'm waiting in future games of the Super Smash Bros. series to come 69 characters as newcomers. I know some will write to me not to wait for everyone to come, but I still have hopes. Here is the characters:

Euden (Dragalia Lost)
Hisuian Decidueye (Pokémon series)
Zethia (Dragalia Lost)
Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim series)
Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
Zael (The Last Story)
Rayman (Rayman seiries)
Unicycle (Uniracers)
Tin Star (Tin Star)
Liu Kang (Mortal Kombat series)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown series)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Jin Kazama (Tekken series)
Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)
John Raimi (Geist)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)
Kevin (Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot series)
Spyro the Dragon (Spyro the Dragon series)
Abe (Oddworld series)
Stranger (Oddworld series)
Fighter Hayabusa (Pro Wrestling)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Black Shadow (F-Zero series)
Medusa (Kid Icarus series)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo series)
Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow)
Conker (Conker series)
Professor Hershel Layton (Professor Layton series)
Siegfried Schtauffen (Soulcalibur series)
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Cross (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Edward Carnby (Alone in the Dark series)
Adol Christin (Ys series)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear series)
Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue series)
Gex (Gex series)
Protagonist (Glory of Heracles)
Heracles (Glory of Heracles)
Protagonist (Famicom Detective Club)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Reiji Arisu (Namco × Capcom, Project X Zone series)
Laboman (Labo)
Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure)
Dillon (Dillon series)
Dante (Devil May Cry series)
Spring Man (ARMS)
Yooka-Laylee (Yooka-Laylee series)
Agumon (Digimon series)
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.)
Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls)
Kratos (God of War)
Ivan (Devil's Third)
Aisya (ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat)
Chrono (Chrono series)
Miriam (Bloodstained series)
Doomguy (Doom series)
Master Chief (Halo series)
Mike Jones (StarTropics series)
Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth)
Isaac (Golden Sun series)
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series)
Cuphead (Cuphead)
Andy (Advance Wars series)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
Akira Howard (Astral Chain)

Last edited:
Top Bottom