• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm still convinced it's because they built a community and careers off of a buggy-ass game, and later Smash games have gotten way better in quality in both terms of less bugs and glitches but also in trying to cater to the competitive community, and I think they are kinda jealous and petty that Nintendo is diving into this now instead of when it would have made their lives easier.

Then again, they ONLY PLAY the unpatched versions with all the broken **** when another versions with major fixes exists, and they mod the game to make the glitches more like real features as well as approve modded controllers, so I'm not sure at this point.
dude

you're a NASB fan

you know, a game inspired by Melee's gameplay, including turning its most infamous exploit into a legit mechanic

I don't think you should be the one calling Melee buggy or dated.

SKX31

Smash Master
Here’s an interesting idea:
Pikachu, Roy, Dedede, Cloud and Kazuya.

Says a lot about my preffered fighting style - very aggressive and whiff-punishy.

GUYS! IT HAPPENED! IT HAPPENED AGAIN!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Microsoft threw another curveball at us!!!!!!! Crash and Spyro are Microsoft reps now!
Holy ****.

The increasing oligarchization of the gaming business aside (and that's a major aside, since now Microsoft has a significant chunk of the Western development teams under their beck and call) - this could be very interesting for future Smash titles assuming Nintendo and Microsoft continue their partnership. With the caveat that now people might start fighting over who should be the next Microsoft rep.

I'm not looking forward to a reprise of the B-K / Steve wars, but now between like Crash and Doomguy.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly this is probably the reason Everyone is Here may not happen again. Because of industry consolation.

As in almost all of the third parties we currently have may very well be owned by different companies by the next game. Like I guess if Microsoft bought out SEGA or whatever it wouldn't be a total death knell because they're already involved in Smash and have a good relationship with Nintendo, but if Sony retaliates and buys out someone like Square Enix, stick a fork in Cloud, Sephiroth, Hero and probably Sora, they're dead.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Holy cungadero! Microsoft has brought out Activision-Blizzard?

At this rate, half the most wanted third party characters for Smash Bros. will be owned by Microsoft!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This is bad. This is very, very bad.

Microsoft owns Crash! He's basically a lock for Smash 6. Oh no!
Master Chief, Doomguy, and Dovahkiin when Crash, Thrall, Tracer, Jim Raynor, Axel Steel, and some soldier from cod idk are now competition for whatever "MS Slot" exists in Smash 6, if any

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Well the good news that it’s not EA buying them also this will pretty much increase the chance of having Crash in the next smash game
However I didn’t expect Microsoft to go buy another company this soon after they bought Bethesda

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what I think of the increasing reliance on monopolization on Microsoft to make up for underwhelming exclusive options (not just vs. Sony, but vs. themselves. Why buy an Xbox when Windows has everything you'd want on it?), but I am sure of what I think this means for speculation.

Crash, Chief and DOOM are now all in competition with each other... on paper. We've seen so many patterns break, but "one third party franchise per company in any given series of newcomers" has survived all this time. Will it last forever as well? Or perhaps, it will broken early into next title.

Hey speaking of, here's the patterns that were fully never broken or never broken in practice.
  • Assist Trophies are permanently disqualified from playability, relative to that game. In this case, permanently means regardless of base game or DLC status.
  • Mii Costumes are permanently disqualified from playability, relative to that game.
    • This is the asterisk case; had the Switch not gotten in the way, it appears as though Rex would have been included after his Mii dropped. Depending on if it counts as base game era or DLC era, it would be solved by appending DLC at the start. This conundrum exists for Piranha Plant as well, being a DLC character who was developed during the base game, so it stands to reason Rex's Mii was a base game one given the position of unpurchaseable DLC.
  • Only one third party franchise per company will get a newcomer in any given set of newcomers. (Base Game, DLC per pack).
That's... about it. Everything else I could think of was busted. Which of these sounds like something that the next installment is most likely to challenge, and which of these are straight up unbreakable rules in your mind?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think it's actually quite significant insofar as Nintendo dealing with ActBliz was never going to happen so long as their pr problems continued (the CEO still will be CEO but now he'll be in Phil's leash).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Whether you're concerned about a video game monopoly or ActiBlizz controversy, this is bad news either way.
Yeah I think they fired what 30 or 40 people (it was announced Monday) probably because Microsoft demanded it cash deals are rare (ha!) at this amount and for such a crappy company with Golden IPs. Him remaining CEO was probably the only thing Microsoft couldn't force which is whatever because now that he's under the big brother of Microsoft so much as a sneeze and he's gone. I give it 6 months to a year before he's fired, steps down, etc.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Pikachu, Roy, Dedede, Cloud and Kazuya.

Says a lot about my preffered fighting style - very aggressive and whiff-punishy.

Holy ****.

The increasing oligarchization of the gaming business aside (and that's a major aside, since now Microsoft has a significant chunk of the Western development teams under their beck and call) - this could be very interesting for future Smash titles assuming Nintendo and Microsoft continue their partnership. With the caveat that now people might start fighting over who should be the next Microsoft rep.

I'm not looking forward to a reprise of the B-K / Steve wars, but now between like Crash and Doomguy.
This makes the concept of a Nintendo vs Microsoft angle for a future potential Smash a lot more interesting. I love Sephiroth and the other third parties but I’d almost be willing to sacrifice them for the time being to get a ton more RARE and Blizzard characters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Personally, I wouldn’t group RARE, Bethesda, and Activision-Blizzard all under a “Microsoft rep” for the purposes of Smash. They are all owned by the same company now but they each have their own separate histories and impact on gaming so I wouldn’t have any issue if they all got something in the next Smash. If anything, this only makes negotiations easier to get multiple of these in Smash.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm concerned that Microsoft might be trying to completely monopolize the Western game market. They now own Bethesda and Activision, and there's rumors that they will also be buying out Crystal Dynamics (who own Gex and Tomb Raider and are actively working on a revival of Perfect Dark).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Man, when I heard about Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard, I believe that Sony could buy Capcom and SEGA to counterback Microsoft.
Japanese companies seem to be less likely to merge historically with Bandai and Namco being the only merger that cost more than a billion. Square and Enix merged then aquired Eidos, but failed to rope in Tecmo... But just looking at the list of mergers it's clear US companies dominate in this regard.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Japanese companies seem to be less likely to merge historically with Bandai and Namco being the only merger that cost more than a billion. Square and Enix merged then aquired Eidos, but failed to rope in Tecmo... But just looking at the list of mergers it's clear US companies dominate in this regard.

What about Sega with Sega Sammy? I thought Sega did merge with that company before, the one that makes panchinko or whatever games?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What about Sega with Sega Sammy? I thought Sega did merge with that company before, the one that makes panchinko or whatever games?

That? I consider this to be more a restructuring but yes this was a merger. Just that it's between Sega and Sega lol.

If that's the case then say goodbye to having Sonic, Ryu, and Mega Man in Smash.
Yup, if only they end up in Playstation Allstars along with Dante and Kiryu as Firat Parties after Sony buys Capcom and SEGA.

Well, Sony could evolve into Compant that could demand huge studios if they had too much money.

That isn't really Sony's style. They tend to buy single developers over a company with multiple Studios. But you never know.
I mean, Sony could evolve and start to buy big studios like SEGA if they had much money.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I wait when Microsoft buys Valve, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Interplay, Team17, and Embracer Group.
So the can finally make their own Smash clone

Top Bottom