• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Laniv

Smash Champion
Just a question for everyone, who is the most forgettable smash character to you? And would you care if they were cut with that in mind? Although this is the internet and as shown before you never really know lol, but it obviously goes without saying not trying to start anything aside from civil discussion ..

Not really forgettable as in they're probably the easiest to forget and could therefore be more likely to stick in your mind cos of it but rather just characters you've forgotten existed. I completely forgot game and watch existed and, whilst I'd obviously rather he return on the basis of having all unique characters back, I can't say I'd be too indifferent to it either way other than that.
I genuinely forgot Rosalina was in smash lol

AlRex

Smash Lord
My mind still keeps returning to not necessarily wanting a new Smash for a bit and for them to do a Nintendo VS someone else crossover instead as the next Nintendo fighter. Although this is probably not the #1 favorite idea of everyone else. Still, Nintendo VS CAPCOM, Nintendo VS SEGA, Mario fighting Mickey Mouse or Goku, or anything else like that would still get plenty of publicity of its own. This is just me repeating myself, though.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Corrin is... largely okay. I think they get misblamed. Most of Fates' problems don't stem from them. It's a lot of other characters and plot points that Corrin has to deal with. Imagine a straight man often forced to try and stay civil while talking to mentally unsound individuals and being forced to do stupid things in the plot. That's Corrin in Fates. In other games like Fire Emblem Heroes and Fire Emblem Warriors, Corrin has really enjoyable writing. Fates' writing is the main problem, not Corrin as a character.
But (male) Corrin is canonically a bisexual man :4pacman:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Just kinda thought that "bandwagon" was the right term, though I didn't particularly mean it like that. But I hope you can see what I'm getting at when I talk about the same characters being repeat ad nauseum in pretty much every single fan roster out there. And sure, maybe it's something one would expect if a character really is just that popular, though if I'm being honest, I feel like the only reason someone like Waluigi is on a lot of people's radar is simply because they think "it's his turn". They're pretty much expecting a new Mario character with every Smash installment (and granted, Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise), and he's just the next in line. While I wouldn't doubt that Waluigi has his share of genuine fans (especially given his prominence in memes), let's be real: hypothetically, if Smash was forced to have only 5 Mario characters (and let's be generous and discount anyone from the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario series), do you think Waluigi would come anywhere close to making it in? Is it any surprise why Waluigi isn't already in Smash now? Seems like the same thing with Crash, really. We got Mario, we got Sonic, we got Pac-Man, Crash just seems like the next major "mascot" character (didn't particularly help that a lot of early Playstation ads made him come across as their mascot, when he was really just a third party character all along).

But what do I know? Honestly, I completely wrote off Banjo&Kazooie due to the whole Rare mishap, even when it looked like Microsoft was growing friendlier with Nintendo, and I've long assumed Sora would just be one big legal nightmare (in fact, I'm still somewhat wary about Disney having their grubby hands in Smash).

Some months back, I actually did sit down and try to recall every character in Smash offhand. It actually helps a lot if you can separate characters by which installment they debuted and (not accounting for Echoes) which number was assigned to the last character of a particular installment (ex. Jigglypuff is #12, Mr. Game&Watch is #26, etc.). With that said, I did end up remembering all of them...... except Wii Fit Trainer. I almost forgot about Pac-Man, too (Smash4 in general is where I really started to get tripped up, though I guess it doesn't help that those two are stand-alone Fighters from their respective series.... in contrast, it's somewhat easy to keep in mind that there're 8 Fire Emblem characters).

As for whether I'd care if they got cut...... well, I'm of the camp who wishes to avoid all cuts moving forward. But as for those two in particular, regardless of a failure on my part to remember them, I can nevertheless acknowledge how important a character like Pac-Man is to gaming, and I'm sure Wii Fit represented something to the massive market of Wii casuals back in the day, so I doubt I'd be happy even if they were literally the only characters to be cut.
I think if some characters are very popular, but less than others and/or seem less likely than others, you tend to try not thinking and not talk about them too much, because you will probably be disappointed. I'm pretty sure that Conker, for instance, is very popular due to Bad Fur Day being what it is, but everybody knew that if we could get one Rare character, it would be Banjo & Kazooie, so it made more sense to rally behind them. In my case, I was tempted to vote for B&K in the ballot, but thought it would be a waste because it seemed so unlikely back then, so instead I voted for my second most wanted, Skull Kid. Same for the platformer mascots. I would like to see Crash get in, but Sonic, Banjo and MegaMan are way more important and "deserving". Now that there are in though, Crash seems to have a chance. Doesn't mean that I want him more than before, just that it seems less like a waste of hope. Therefore, my thoughts can go to him more safely.

Regarding Waluigi, I think you underestimate his charm and iconicness. He's the fourth plumber. He's present in almost every single Mario spin-off. He's easily recognizable. That alone suffices to make him popular, no need to invoque "bandwagoning". If the Mario serie was to be limited to five characters... The first four are easy : Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. I would actually give the fifth place to Captain Toad. I like Junior and the koopalings, but could you say that Rosalina and especially the goddamn Piranha Plant are objectively better choices than Waluigi ?

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Was it by anything noticeable for a casual player? I still have a hard time getting used to Cloud’s nerfed range from Smash 4 to Ultimate.
The only change was that Finishing Touch got a bit faster. Grounded/aerial: Frame 14/16 → 12/14.

It's mostly noticeable in more Serious Business settings, where now a Up Tilt / Up Air on platforms can confirm into FT at around the 40-50 % ranges and possibly kill really early:

I've seen quite a few complaints that now he has effectively his own version of Wario's Waft confirms.

A casual player is not going to notice it all that much, no. For many a same reasons that most casual players don't really know or care about the Waft confirms - they need to be intentionally set up and knowledge of when they work. FWIW Finishing Touch is now faster than some more Smash Attacks - and it's now comparable to slower tilts in terms of startup - so there's that.

Also, another related topic, MockRock released this recently:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Was it by anything noticeable for a casual player? I still have a hard time getting used to Cloud’s nerfed range from Smash 4 to Ultimate.
It went from frame 14 to frame 12. So it's a somewhat "small buff" but it should be noticeable. It's opened up some new kill confirms for Cloud and that's always a major plus for any character.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know, Crash deserves better than to be stuck with a hellhole like Activision

He's a character I think deserves to be in Smash right next to Sora
I wish Activision would get their act together, especially since its gotten so bad that the Big 3 have put aside their differences to call them out on it (I think that's the first time they ever did something like that), but... given ActiBlizz's response, I fear the only chance left is to burn the whole thing down and start over.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wish Activision would get their act together, especially since its gotten so bad that the Big 3 have put aside their differences to call them out on it (I think that's the first time they ever did something like that), but... given ActiBlizz's response, I fear the only chance left is to burn the whole thing down and start over.
Yeah, it’s a real shame because I still love Blizzard’s characters but I can’t in good conscience support them at this stage given how horrible the company is. At this point, I would be happy if they go under and Blizzard’s IP goes to a more respectable developer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Part of me wants to suggest Naughty Dog buy Crash back or ABK sell the IP back to them

y know what just have ABK sell ALL their IPs at this point, the brand is literally (and possibly forever) tainted. Like Konami bounced back after their Pachinko phase, but THIS? Frick it

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Part of me wants to suggest Naughty Dog buy Crash back or ABK sell the IP back to them

y know what just have ABK sell ALL their IPs at this point, the brand is literally (and possibly forever) tainted. Like Konami bounced back after their Pachinko phase, but THIS? Frick it
Have Naughty Dog been able to get THEIR act together? Because I remember they had a HUGE controversy too...

Although you are right that Sony would probably be the ones doing the buying here, not just because of Crash and Spyro, but also COD, which may as well be an honorary Sony IP given how much they promote it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Have Naughty Dog been able to get THEIR act together? Because I remember they had a HUGE controversy too...

Although you are right that Sony would probably be the ones doing the buying here, not just because of Crash and Spyro, but also COD, which may as well be an honorary Sony IP given how much they promote it.
I’m curious who would try to go for Blizzard’s IP in this scenario. I really hope they don’t just disappear forever because no one wants to pick them up. Those franchises still have so much potential if we can separate them from all the controversy from their developer.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m curious who would try to go for Blizzard’s IP in this scenario. I really hope they don’t just disappear forever because no one wants to pick them up. Those franchises still have so much potential if we can separate them from all the controversy from their developer.
Well, I know of at least two big companies who seem to REALLY like buying gaming IPs, controversies be darned: Microsoft and THQ Nordic. Either of them suit your fancy?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I know of at least two big companies who seem to REALLY like buying gaming IPs, controversies be darned: Microsoft and THQ Nordic. Either of them suit your fancy?
I’d be okay with Microsoft. They already own Rare which is one of my all time favorite developers. It might just push me towards buying an X-Box over PlayStation this Gen.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yeah, THQ Nordic! That's a good one! It's the closest thing to a company who isn't already represented in Smash or solely one of the big three.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What properties does THQ Nordic own? I don’t know much about them as a company. Is there any relation to the old THQ? The original THQ made some awesome wrestling games and I love the style of Darksiders.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What properties does THQ Nordic own? I don’t know much about them as a company. Is there any relation to the old THQ? The original THQ made some awesome wrestling games and I love the style of Darksiders.
THQ Nordic is, for all intents and purposes, the successor to THQ. As for the properties they own, well... see for yourself:

There's even more if you factor their parent company, Embracer Group.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I would love for Sony buy all of their IPs, especially Crash. Even if Naughty Dog doesn't work on the series, Insomniac would do just as good with them.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

What would Naughty Dog even do with Crash? They already have Jak and Daxter that they could bring back but they rather do more third person over the shoulder action adventure game.

At best if Sony buy Crash they would probably ask a small studios to make a game like they did with Sly 4. Or perhaps Asobi could make a Crash game with what they learned with Astro boy. But there's no way Naughty dog is ever coming back to making platformer.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You know, Crash deserves better than to be stuck with a hellhole like Activision

He's a character I think deserves to be in Smash right next to Sora
There's a lot of "Sony" reps that I'd support from Crash to Albert Wesker to Fo Fai, Aya Brea, Gabriel Logan, Spyro,.........

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, if THQ Nordic got a character, who would you like to see. I took a look at the list and I’m ashamed to admit I only really recognize a few properties. From what I do know, I’d love to see someone from Darksiders make it in. My favorite character from that series is probably Death but I’d be happy with any of them since they all look so cool in my opinion.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Alright, if THQ Nordic got a character, who would you like to see. I took a look at the list and I’m ashamed to admit I only really recognize a few properties. From what I do know, I’d love to see someone from Darksiders make it in. My favorite character from that series is probably Death but I’d be happy with any of them since they all look so cool in my opinion.
Alone in the Dark!

Ooo Panzer.... Hmm.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I just got done voting for The Game Awards (spoiler: most of my votes went to Psychonauts 2), and I just realized there won't be any Smash this time. That's gonna take some getting used to...
Been trying to vote NEO TWEWY but had no luck with my Twitch or Twitter accounts

anyone else had any luck?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't really care about any of their properties, so i'll just go for the people's champ.

Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium , it's time to split.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think enough time has passed to share another one of my character ideas. I talk about this guy all the time and I'm sure most of you have no idea what I'm talking about so I figured I'd try to educate everyone on my favorite video game character ever, even if he does have pretty close to 0% chance of ever actually making it into Smash. I made a support thread for this guy but it never got any replies (other than the one person I talk to on Discord that I asked to reply lol).

RG - Zegram.jpg
Logo.jpg

Who is Zegram Ghart? (spoilers from Rogue Galaxy)

Zegram Ghart is a badass bounty hunter from the planet Zerard. Though he is employed by the the space pirate captain Dorgengoa, he has no loyalty to the crew or the main protagonist Jaster Rogue. He prides himself on being a lone wolf and gives off the appearance that the only thing he cares about in life is getting paid. Fairly early on in the game Zegram betrays the party when it is revealed that he had been spying on your team and reporting back to the enemy as part of a deal to bring back his deceased wife. Zegram eventually turns on the villain as well as he suspects that they were never going to hold up their end of the deal. Eventually, Zegram joins back up with the party and redeems himself as he helps save the galaxy.

Why should Zegram be in Smash?

Truthfully, Zegram has pretty much no chance at all to ever make it into Smash. He has never been on a Nintendo console, and wasn’t the main character of his game. On top of that, Rogue Galaxy was a pretty niche game despite being created from a beloved company with ties to Nintendo (Level 5). He would likely never be chosen over the likes of Professor Layton, a Ni-no-Kuni rep, or a Yokai Watch rep, but he does have a lot to offer in his own right.

While Zegram isn’t the main character of his game, I believe he fits the pirate theme of the game better than the protagonist Jaster Rogue. He is also my personal favorite video game character of all time so that goes a long way. It doesn’t hurt that he also happens to be voiced by one of my favorite voice actors ever in Steve Blum. I have nothing against Jaster and I think he is a pretty cool protagonist, but he is simply outclassed in my eyes.

What can he do?

Every character in Rogue Galaxy has a main weapon and a sub weapon. In most cases, the main weapon is a melee weapon and the sub weapon is some kind of projectile. Zegram’s main weapons are a giant cutlass and a shuriken. He has a variety of skills including Fire Sword, Parry, Drunken Burst, Lightning, Twin Sword, Death Break, and Gates of Hell. Here is a quick rundown of what each of his skills do in the game:

Fire Sword - Infuses the sword with the power of flames, increasing its attack power. Continuous/ Unblockable/ Guard Break/ Fire.

Parry - Uses a warrior's wisdom to increase the enemy evasion rate. Continuous.

Drunken Burst - The power of grog increases all allies' attack power! Instant.

Lightning - Calls down violent lightning bolts to attack all enemies. Instant/ Electric.

Twin Sword - Unleashes the legendary twin-sword technique. Twice the swords, twice the attack power! Continuous/ Ice/ Wind/ Daze

Death Break - Sends enemies to their deaths with a cursed sword dance. Instant/ Electric/ Holy.

Inferno Vortex – Zegram and Simon’s wind and fire combination attack. Instant/ Fire/ Wind.

Gates of Hell – Zegram, Jaster, and Lilika’s ultimate combination attack. Instant/ Wind/ Holy.

Burning Strike - Enables activation of 5/7/9-hit Burning Strike attacks.

Showcase of Zegram’s skills

Here is a completed moveset showcasing what Zegram could be in Smash:

General Play Style and Gimmicks

Zegram is a slower, more powerful sword user compared to most of the cast. His power and attributes would be very similar to Ike. Like Ike, Zegram also uses a huge sword with only one hand. The biggest thing separating himself from Ike is the fact that he has a stronger focus on projectiles and area attacks.

In Rogue Galaxy, Zegram has several skills that temporarily buff either himself or his teammates. These include Drunken Burst, which raises his team’s attack power, Parry, which increases evasion, Fire Sword which temporarily infuses his sword in flames, and Twin Sword , which spawns a secondary sword adding a second hit to all his attacks. I think the most interesting one here is Twin Sword. In Smash, this will be represented as a temporary powered up state akin to Joker’s Arsene. This will only apply to Zegram’s A moves and his specials will be unaffected.

Weak Attacks

Neutral - Zegram Attacks with four quick horizontal slashes followed by a stronger spinning slash. If the A button is held instead, Zegram charges up and performs a single stronger spinning leaping downward slash. This is a great shield breaking move. This represents both Zegram’s basic combination attack in Rogue Galaxy as well as his charge up shield breaking move.

Forward tilt - This one is very similar to Ike’s forward tilt. A slightly overhead, downward angled horizontal slash.

Up tilt -Zegram thrusts his sword directly upward similar to Marth’s up smash.

Down tilt - Zegram performs a quick downward stab into the ground. This represents Zegram’s normal attack on downed enemies in Rogue Galaxy.

Smash attacks

Forward smash – Fire Sword – When Twin Sword isn’t active, this attack is similar to Ike’s forward smash but infused in flames. When Twin Sword is active, Zegram slashes forward in an X pattern with two swords.

Up smash –Fire Sword – Zegram infuses his sword in flames and thrusts his sword upward in a sweeping motion. The animation for this attack would look a lot like Cloud’s up smash.

Down smash – Death Break – Zegram carves a spell circle in the ground with his sword and stabs the ground dealing considerable damage to a fairly wide range. This attack has a fairly long startup but the damage and knockback is very strong.

Specials

Neutral special – Shuriken - Zegram throws a shuriken that travels in a straight line in the direction the opponent was at the time of throwing it up to 45 degrees upward or downward. This is about the speed and power of Falco’s blaster. After throwing a set number of these, there is a cooldown before he can throw another. The cooldown can be greatly reduced by shielding. This represents Zegram’s standard ranged attack in Rogue Galaxy.

Up special – Inferno Vortex - Zegram summons a flaming tornado that damages enemies traps them in it while propelling Zegram upwards

Forward special – Burning Strike – A 5 hit combination attack in the same vein as Marth’s forward B chain. The first strike is a downward overhead slash. The second is a powerful upward slash. The third is a sweeping horizontal slash. The fourth strike is another powerful upward slash. For the final strike, he throws a flaming shuriken that drags the enemy upward in an arc as the shuriken turns into a flaming phoenix. This would be a slower but more powerful attack compared to Marth’s chain.

Down special – Lightning – Zegram thrusts his sword in the air and summons a lightning storm that damage enemies in range. Unlike Pikachu’s thunder, Zegram’s Lighting is a fairly weak move that hits a wider range. Although it does mild damage, it does stun all enemies struck by the lighting similar to Zero Suit Samus’ blaster.

Running Attack

Running attack - This one is kind of similar to Link’s running attack where Zegram performs a strong leaping strike.

Aerial attacks

Neutral air - Zegram Performs two horizontal slashes followed by an overhead downward slash. This is his aerial combo from Rogue Galaxy.

Forward air - This one is pretty similar to Ike’s forward air. Zegram performs a slow powerful overhead slash with two hands.

Up air - Zegram performs an arching overhead slash. This is a lot like Ike’s up air but with an additional fire element.

Down air - Zegram stabs his sword downward, which can spike.

Throws

Pummel - The standard knee strikes most characters have work well here.

Forward throw - This is a cargo throw similar to Donkey Kong. He lifts his opponent over his head with both hands and can move around with them before tossing them. This represents Rogue Galaxy’s toss mechanic.

Up throw - Zegram tosses his opponent upwards and follows up by tossing two shurikens at him or her.

Back throw - Zegram tosses his opponent backwards.

Down throw - Zegram slams his opponent into the ground then stabs them with his sword.

Final Smash

Gates of Hell – This is based on Zegram’s ultimate triple team attack from Rogue Galaxy which he performs with the protagonist, Jaster Rogue and one of their partners, Lilika. To initiate the attack, Zegram thrusts his sword in a sweeping motion and anyone caught in range is teleported to a cutscene. Here, Jaster carves a spell circle in the ground while Lilika uses it to summon a huge otherworldly gate from the ground. Zegram slices the gate open with his sword and releases a huge wave of cursed energy which deals massive damage to anyone caught in the initial activation.

Another option for Zegram’s final smash is Jaster’s triple tech, Supernova, that he performs with Zegram and Kisala. In this move, all three dash into the sky and form a giant laser beam with their swords that explodes the planet. Even though this isn’t Zegram’s move specifically, it does feature him as well as the main heroine, Kisala, rather than Lilika, who is more of a side character.

Taunts

Taunt 1 - Zegram points his sword forward and then makes the “bring it on” motion with his hand as he says “Come on, try me!”. This is he animation for his Parry skill.

Taunt 2 - Zegram takes a drink from his gourd, wipes his mouth, and hiccups. This is the animation from the first part of his Drunken Burst skill.

Taunt 3 - Zegram temporarily infuses his sword in flames as he says “This is gonna hurt!”. This is the animation from his Flame Sword skill with the quote from his Death Break skill.

Victory quotes

“Don’t ever try to show off in front of me you damn beast.”

“Huh, why did they even bother jumping us?”

“Let’s just leave it at that for now.”

“What a waste of time!”

“Was that it?”
Outfits

Zegram’s primary outfit is a classic pirate coat and red eyepatch. This would serve as his default outfit in Smash. Throughout the game, he gets several other outfits, though his next most iconic one is a red and black samurai outfit. Since Smash tends to only have one alternate outfit per character, this would likely be the one they would go with.

Zegram Outfits.png

RG - Zegram 3.jpg

What would his stage be?

The obvious choice for his stage would be aboard the airship, the Dorgenark as is travels through the galaxy. It is a very iconic location that you return to several times throughout the game. The primary battlefield would probably be on the dock of the ship, but you could also possibly fight in the interior as well.

RG - Forest Planet.jpg

RG - Dorgenark Hall.jpg
RG - Dorgenark Interior.jpg

What kind of music could he bring?:

Planet Zerard
The Crisis
Brave Heart
Exploder
Exploder 2
Severe Voyage
Hidden Insanity
Prison
Enormous Threat
Dreaming My Way Home

How about Spirits?

This one should be easy as well. For starters, it would probably include each of the other playable characters as well as the major antagonists and Desert Claw.

RG - Jaster Rogue.jpg
RG - Deego.jpg
RG - Kisala.jpg
RG - Lilika.jpg
RG - Jupis.jpg

RG - Simon.jpg
RG - Steve.jpg
RG - Desert Claw.jpg
RG - Valkog.jpg

I don't really expect many people to share my desire for Zegram to get in Smash, but I thought it would be fun to share my thoughts on my favorite video game character ever. Hopefully I was able to educate some people and show them that he would be really cool even if it is an impossible dream. I'll probably add more to this thread as I come up with more ideas such as a fully fleshed out move set.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not one single game I gave a **** about...

Edit: No wait, Red Faction is cool.

Ooh, and Darksiders.
I was going to question why you didn’t like Darksiders. I only played the second game but I really enjoyed it. Was Red Faction the FPS with destructive environments? I remember a game where you could blast tunnels through walls and that name sounds familiar.

Top Bottom