• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Seraphine simp detected

[Kill on sight]
Bruh I said Evelynn :v
Doesn't matter either way if she has the new Chemdrake soul.

...there's already clips of Sion with Guardian Angel, Zilean Ult and Chemdrake Soul. It's every bit as stupid as it sounds and I love it. :roll:

toonito

Smash Ace
I forget along with FE and Pokemon the Mario series has also gotten a new rep in every Smash game

Mario
Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Ring Fit Trainee
Officer Howard?
Xenoblade/Animal Crossing?
Dixie Kong?

at least 1 of Dante/Shantae/Dragonborn/Lloyd Irving
Bomberman?
Doom Slayer?
fighting game rep

probably drawing blanks but these are my starter picks for newcomers in Smash 6

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been working on my concept for a potential future Smash, and am almost done with my roster--though it's going rather slow at this point due to the difficulty of decision-making. I think this seems like a reasonable lineup for the moment, but it is subject to change (in particular, I hope to end with 55 total fighters and may go up to 15 newcomers, and some cut fighters may be restored).

Decisions were made with a few facts in mind:
  • "Everyone Is Here!" relied on Sakurai calling in a lot of favors and is near-impossible to ever happen again.
  • The more fighters there are, the more that dev time would be extended and/or other parts of the game would need to be cut back.
  • Clones/Echoes are easier to develop than original fighters.
  • Third parties are considerably more difficult due to negotiation and collaboration with external forces.
  • Veterans (46)
    • Mario
    • Luigi
    • Peach
    • Bowser
    • Donkey Kong
    • Diddy Kong
    • King K. Rool
    • Link
    • Zelda
    • Ganondorf
    • Samus
    • Zero Suit Samus
    • Ridley
    • Yoshi
    • Kirby
    • Meta Knight
    • King Dedede
    • Fox
    • Falco
    • Pikachu
    • Lucario
    • Greninja
    • Ness
    • Captain Falcon
    • Marth
    • Lucina
    • Robin
    • Byleth
    • Mr. Game & Watch
    • Pit
    • Dark Pit
    • Wario
    • R.O.B.
    • Isabelle
    • Shulk
    • Inkling
    • Sonic
    • Mega Man
    • Pac-Man
    • Ryu
    • Ken
    • Banjo & Kazooie
    • Mii Brawler
    • Mii Swordfighter
    • Mii Gunner
  • Newcomers (12)
    • Impa (based on Sheik)
    • Kamek
    • Bandana Waddle Dee
    • Krystal
    • new Pokemon
    • Ashley
    • Octoling (Echo of Inkling)
    • Isaac
    • Felix (Echo of Isaac)
    • Chibi-Robo
    • Legionis
I am open to suggestions and critique.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I will say this: if their franchises stay strong by the time the next Smash game is out, I think Crash and Spyro would be due to join the battle.
Honestly, neither franchise has to be relevant by the time Smash 6 is out, they just have to be relevant by the time the project plan is complete and the roster is selected.

Which, if we're going off the idea the Switch will have a lifespan of 7 years, the next Smash will likely release sometime before the second anniversary of Nintendo's next console, and Smash games take 3 years to develop, will likely happen before the end of 2022.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
this thread's gonna look real silly when the Geno bonus fighter gets revealed real soon... believe in the plan

(for real though Geno for Smash 6 of course I'd love him in there although I guess it depends on if Square comes back or not. With a smaller roster comes less of a chance for my most wanteds to get in since they're mostly incredibly obscure but Bomberman, Phoenix Wright or Papyrus/An Undertale Character would be really nice)

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Something I noticed with Smash 4 and Ultimate that they had a certain "theme" going. Smash 4 introduced many new female fighters and Ultimate introduced a lot of playable villains. I think Smash 6 is going to have the theme of decomfirmed characters getting their chances (especially with Asset Trophy's) The following "decomfirmed" characters I think will be the front runners for smash 6:

1.Waluigi
2. Kystal
3. Isaac
4. Shantae
5. Dante
6. Llyod
7. Geno
8. Takamaru
9. Bomberman
10. Shadow

As for other characters the only obvious picks are going to be a new Gen Pokemon rep, Newest Fire Emblem protagonist , and Newest Xenoblade protagonist.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Here's a regular discussion point phrased in a roundabout but fun way because why not

What games should I play to prepare myself to appreciate the newcomers that'll show up in Smash 6?
I would try a garden variety of titles. Mostly on the basis that we can’t be too sure on what characters will show up.
As for specifics, Mario titles are a safe bet. Not counting Brawl (assuming DK, Yoshi, and Wario are treated as separate series), the franchise gets a new character every Smash game.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Ah yes, it's time to shill for my most wanted three:
1634870606745.png

1634870889152.png

And of course, the wonderful businessanimal in my icon:

1634870915428.png

I'm totally calling dibs on that Tom Nook thread when the time comes.

Attachments

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Some comments for the next Smash, whenever that happens:
  • Don't really mind us not getting an "Everyone is Here!" again. I do want to see the next game's roster reach 100 fighters by the end of its lifespan, though, even if that seems unlikely.
  • For modes, I just want a dedicated Boss Rush mode, and the old format for All-Star. A new story mode would be neat too, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for something like that.
  • Hopefully more western series get sprinkled into the next game's roster. Gimme stuff like Assassin's Creed, Crash, God of War, Shantae, etc. The amount of Mii costumes from western series in Ultimate may be a good sign for the next game.
  • Hoping for more first party choices that don't have a playable character yet, from both older and newer series (Famicom Detective Club, Golden Sun, Astral Chain, Ring Fit, etc.).
  • Next Smash better have rollback.
I think that's all from me besides "KOS-MOS and Kyo for Smash 6!", as well as the begging for any of my other most-wanted characters to get in.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Oh wait I just realized I can now start to shill Tiki FireEmblem
Y'know

If I had to add one Fire Emblem character to Smash, it'd be a tie between Anna, Celica, and Tiki (but specifically her Awakening design)

Ivander

Smash Legend
I better see some Metroid Dread shilling(and possibly some Metroid Prime 4 too) when the next Smash gets announced. Cause I want Raven Beak for Smash, especially if Metroid Dread really does very well.

That aside,
Ada100_full.jpg
Iof050_full.jpg
Dow050_full.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg
Ada024_full.jpg
Iof098_full.jpg

Besides making me want another Vs. Capcom game, once again, Capcom should really also just do a Capcom All-Stars fighting game. I would certainly buy it.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Smash fans: "Oh MaN ULtImAtEs NeWcOmErS WeRe So GoOd HoW WiLL ThE NeXt SmAsH Be AbLe To CoMpArE!?"

"Allow us to introduce ourselves"

PraiseTheSun.jpg

ElmaWithGuns.jpg

(And these are just the characters that I personally care about to varying different extents. Looking outside my bubble there's still a plethora of characters that are popular and would make many people happy like, are iconic, have a notable legacy to gaming, are just plain old cool, etc.)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I better see some Metroid Dread shilling(and possibly some Metroid Prime 4 too) when the next Smash gets announced. Cause I want Raven Beak for Smash, especially if Metroid Dread really does very well.

That aside,
View attachment 335300View attachment 335301View attachment 335314
View attachment 335302View attachment 335307View attachment 335315

Besides making me want another Vs. Capcom game, once again, Capcom should really also just do a Capcom All-Stars fighting game. I would certainly buy it.
That artwork is amazing!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Smash fans: "Oh MaN ULtImAtEs NeWcOmErS WeRe So GoOd HoW WiLL ThE NeXt SmAsH Be AbLe To CoMpArE!?"

"Allow us to introduce ourselves"

View attachment 335308

View attachment 335316

(And these are just the characters that I personally care about to varying different extents. Looking outside my bubble there's still a plethora of characters that are popular and would make many people happy like, are iconic, have a notable legacy to gaming, are just plain old cool, etc.)
Need I bring up Marvel vs. Capcom 3 again? It has less characters than 2 even if counting UMvC3, but due to who the newcomers it added are, its roster is not a downgrade from 2 in any way minus its lack of Mega Man.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Need I bring up Marvel vs. Capcom 3 again? It has less characters than 2 even if counting UMvC3, but due to who the newcomers it added are, its roster is not a downgrade from 2 in any way minus its lack of Mega Man.
That's really the thing. Even if the next Smash Bros. loses a few characters, there are still plenty of wanted characters still yet to enter Smash Bros. that can get in.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
F*** it, Nahobino gang rise up.

Just setting up the Nahobino support for this thread : )
Here's hoping the game, and the character, turn out to be good. So your premature support doesn't look foolish in hindsight.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh ya

If anyone's really jonesing for that 10th KH song, there's a seller on Ebay selling new copies of MoM for like, 25$ bucks right now. Snagged one myself.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So, this is the new thread.

I would like to see more Mii Fighter types, such as:
  • Mage (Almost everyone wants this a lot)
  • Hammer (Wields a hammer like Dedede)
  • Gamer (Fights with Nintendo consoles)
  • Athlete (Uses sports equipment, takes inspiration from Wii Sports/Resort)
  • Wrecker (Has a big ball and chain to swing around)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So all the character speculations threads are closed too.

I thought Next Smash was going to be a whole subforum?

Since we know that characters get chosen, like, years before the game is actually announced, doesn't it make sense to have character threads for the next game now? When showing support actually matters?

I would like to see more Mii Fighter types, such as:
  • Mage (Almost everyone wants this a lot)
  • Hammer (Wields a hammer like Dedede)
  • Gamer (Fights with Nintendo consoles)
  • Athlete (Uses sports equipment, takes inspiration from Wii Sports/Resort)
  • Wrecker (Has a big ball and chain to swing around)
I said this before, but I think it's pretty obvious that the primary draw of Miis these days is what other characters you can use them to represent. Almost nobody actually cares about the CAC aspect of Miis any more. To that end, I don't see the appeal of several of those.

Mages? Tons in gaming. Obvious pick.
Hammer? Little rarer, but yeah, I can see that.
Gamer? Who are the Miis for this going to be? 9-Volt and...?
Athlete? Unfortunately, 90% of sports games use real players, and pretty much all the rest are Mario games. The only character I can think of that works for this is Kunio(and I love me some Kunio, but I don't see the point of adding a Mii just for him, especially when he'd work just as well as a Brawler).
Wrecker? Not too many of those in gaming. Some. But how many of them are popular enough to warrant a Mii?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh ya

If anyone's really jonesing for that 10th KH song, there's a seller on Ebay selling new copies of MoM for like, 25$ bucks right now. Snagged one myself.
lol I just started a gamefly account.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
So all the character speculations threads are closed too.

I thought Next Smash was going to be a whole subforum?
Same. They really just closed ALL those character-support threads just for a general support thread like this? And after I joined just to get a last word in on the KOS-MOS thread.

Anyway, for the next Smash, I'm going to hope against all odds that they could keep Everyone Is Here going. Really, once you get over the whole licensing hurdle (which might actually be a bit overblown, especially given how many third parties WANT to be in Smash), Ultimate already has a fantastic foundation, but it's missing some pretty major features and series' staples. Break The Targets, a proper Adenture Mode, better online, getting rid of that input buffer, and some other things that make it absolutely RIPE for a deluxe edition (to say nothing of the potential for an all-DLC physical release). Also, if Everyone Is Here manages to remain, we can avoid having a DLC cycle that's taken up by requests for returning veterans (which, after Smash4, might've been exactly the sort of thing Sakurai wanted to avoid).

As for new characters, I'm going to continuing stanning for KOS-MOS and Reimu, while also returning to stanning Lip so long as Mii costume upgrades (especially first-party) are on the table. I also want Lana (a Nintendo/Koei Tecmo collaboration rep would be awesome, and while Age of Calamity got the Spirit event, I was greatly saddened by the lack of ANY content from the first Hyrule Warriors) and Terra (though really, I'd like any Final Fantasy character that isn't from VII, but I prefer Terra, plus Sakurai did acknowledge her, albeit in passing as a Cloud alternative). And speaking of Final Fantasy VII, since the floodgates were opened for multiple unique Fighters from the same franchise...... screw it, let's just get the entire trio of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in there. I guess Zero and a Shin Megami Tensei rep would also be cool (how do we get a whole Persona5 Spirit Board, but not a Jack Frost Spirit?).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i would want the theme of heroes vs villain to continue in the next smash game
we got many villain newcomers this time around
:ultsephiroth::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha::ultkazuya:+ Zombie
there are still many villains to bring including echo fighters such as
Black Shadow
Porky
Skull Kid
Captain Syrup
Galacta Knight
Daroach
Fawful
King boo
Mr. Sandman
Ganon
Space Invaders
Dr. Eggman
Pyramid Head
CATS (Zero Wing)
:ultyoshi:Boshi
:ultmegaman:Protoman
:ultbowser:Dry Bowser
:ultfalcon:Blood Falcon
:ultike:Black Knight
:ultganondorf:Demise
:ultmetaknight:Dark Meta Knight
:ultmewtwo:Shadow Mewtwo
The next retro newcomer?

Give me the character who's been 22 years in the making:
i dont think she is a retro/joke rep anymore now that her series has been revived again
its similar situation to Punch-out and Kid Icarus
meanwhile :ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultduckhunt: franchise were still dead by the time they joined in and to this day

Last edited:
Top Bottom