• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Im not entirely sure what the roster's gonna look like give we're probably years away at this point, but I'm pretty certain Waluigi will be there at the very least
Yknow what Fracas has a neat little ring to it, doesn't it?
View attachment 335251
SUPER SMASH BROS FIGHT
EDIT: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Another opportunity to post competitive musings, corporate behind-the-scenes shenaningas and lukewarm takes on character chances every so often (at a lessened pace granted) until Smash 6 inevitably gets announced years down the line? Including posting about my MW Dota 2?

Starts Russian techno music.

I'm in.

Yknow what Fracas has a neat little ring to it, doesn't it?
View attachment 335251

Super Smash Bros. Fight

Finally, Smash is undeniably a fighting game.
Ah yes, the Rugby spinoff Super Smash Bros: Scrum :4pacman:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
What's the chance of next Smash becoming live service? Nintendo already runs few gacha games, so they are not above moral scheme issue. Plenty of games remain profitable while remaining f2p, so I don't know why Smash can't do the same. I know what Sakurai said about making new Smash is easier what not, but he changed his mind. Or his successor may have different view. I think skin would be able make up copyright fee.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Okay so for the record, I just wanna say that I'm done with SmashBoards until the next Smash game BUT-

I want to shout out Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura for saying the very last thing on the entire newcomer spec boards. Based Rie with based wants.

Second of all, I'm calling dibs on the Impostor/Crewmate thread next game, got it? No stealies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay so for the record, I just wanna say that I'm done with SmashBoards until the next Smash game BUT-

I want to shout out Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura for saying the very last thing on the entire newcomer spec boards. Based Rie with based wants.

Second of all, I'm calling dibs on the Impostor/Crewmate thread next game, got it? No stealies.
And it was the Elma thread no less

inb4 this somehow manifests her into next game for sure
What's the chance of next Smash becoming live service? Nintendo already runs few gacha games, so they are not above moral scheme issue. Plenty of games remain profitable while remaining f2p, so I don't know why Smash can't do the same. I know what Sakurai said about making new Smash is easier what not, but he changed his mind. Or his successor may have different view. I think skin would be able make up copyright fee.
If it’s a Smash MOBA or something I can see that

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If Smash gets to be a gacha game, it wouldn't be a mainline title but rather a side thing.

Like literally all other gacha games Nintendo has done............that aren't Dragalia Lost.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Wait actually I take this back, I'm still chilling on the Smash Infinite thread. Come join us, it's fun. Okay, shill over

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
All your most wanteds are trashpicks unless they coincide with mine which automatically makes them locked in the roster. But since my most wanted are rarely talked about, then all of the most wanted are trashpicks by default and you should feel bad for having trashpicks. Also, my most wanteds will be high tier. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think it's safe to say that the majority of newcomers in the future will be third party, with many Mii Costumes being frontrunners.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
All your most wanteds are trashpicks unless they coincide with mine which automatically makes them locked in the roster. But since my most wanted are rarely talked about, then all of the most wanted are trashpicks by default and you should feel bad for having trashpicks. Also, my most wanteds will be high tier. Just sayin.
I only have one thing to say to that.

no u :4pacman:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, here we are, traveling roads unknown until the next game comes to be. I oughta stick my head in here every now and then now that tensions aren't as high and there aren't leaks and rumors hanging over everyone's heads.

I don't know who I'll be supporting when the time comes--I'll have to see who has sprung up or who is relevant again at the time the game is announced.

For now, here's an interesting thought, considering it'll probably be 2025 or 2026 when the next new entry happens:

At least a few of Smash 6's newcomers will be characters who don't exist yet.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Joke's on you: I already got my most wanted!
:ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat::ridleyhat:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also that troll uninronically preferred the enemy octoling’s design to the OE playable one’s

HOW CAN YOU SAY NO TO THIS CUTENESS?? UwU
Obviously they're kept for the next game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Alright, let's get this party started!

First off, my top 5 most wanted:
1634863069673.png

Next, checklists for classic content Smash 6 needs:

NES/SNES Classic Editions

Nintendo Power 260

Wishlists for changes/additions to Smash 6/Ultimate Deluxe
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

Additional Content:
  1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
  5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
  6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  9. Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
  10. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
  11. Shantae [Shantae]
  12. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
  13. Amaterasu [Okami]
  14. Dante [Devil May Cry]
  15. Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
  16. Strider Hiryu [Strider]
  17. Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
  18. Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
  19. Crono [Chrono Trigger]
  20. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
  21. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
  22. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
  23. Bomberman [Bomberman]
  24. Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
  25. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
  26. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
  27. Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
  28. Zero [Mega Man X]
  29. Alucard [Castlevania]
  30. Raiden [Metal Gear]
10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
82e. Roxas [Kingdom Hearts]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Swordfighter:
Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden] (if not getting as Fighter)
Crono [Chrono Trigger] (if not getting as Fighter)
Frog [Chrono Trigger]
Randi [Secret of Mana]
FF1 Fighter [Final Fantasy]
FF1 Ninja [Final Fantasy]
Majima [Yakuza]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Kuros [Wizards & Warriors]
The Knight [Hollow Knight]

Brawler:
Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom] (if not getting as Fighters)
Kiryu [Yakuza] (if not getting as Fighter)
Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon]
Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
Robo [Chrono Trigger]
FF1 Monk [Final Fantasy]

Gunner:
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra] (if not getting as Fighters)
Quote [Cave Story]
Jason [Blaster Master]

Mage:
Ashley [WarioWare] (converted from Swordfighter)
Viridi [Kid Icarus] (converted from Swordfighter)
Lip [Panel de Pon] (converted from Swordfighter)
Veronica [Dragon Quest] (converted from Swordfighter)
Aerith [Final Fantasy] (converted from Swordfighter)
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Kamek [Super Mario Bros.]
Reimu [Touhou]
FF1 Black Mage [Final Fantasy]
FF1 White Mage [Final Fantasy]
Magus [Chrono Trigger]
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Chocobo [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime[Dragon Quest]
Majima [Yakuza]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Mike Jones [Star Tropics]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Bernard [Maniac Mansion]

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Says the guy who made a case for Byleth before we even knew about any of that and, well, look at where we are today :ultbylethf:
Hey, to be fair, that video came about after we knew Byleth had a whipsword, after we knew units in Three Houses could learn to use multiple weapons, and after we knew Divine Pulse was a thing.

Even if the latter didn't get used.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Hey, to be fair, that video came about after we knew Byleth had a whipsword, after we knew units in Three Houses could learn to use multiple weapons, and after we knew Divine Pulse was a thing.

Even if the latter didn't get used.
Honestly, probably for the better that we didn't see Divine Pulses in the moveset.

But yeah, fair enough.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I stand by "Super Smash Bros. Kerfuffle" as a title for the next Smash game.

(it's never going to happen, but I can dream)

Hopefully, at least half of the third party characters return; it gets tiring to see people say that all of the third party content needs to be removed. (or that the roster needs to be cut down to half or two-thirds of the size of Ultimate's - that seems like the sort of thing that would kill a franchise, especially one that's based around crossovers)

The past two Smash games have addressed issues that I had with the roster of the one before it - Brawl barely added any women (only Zero Suit Samus, who was a transformation for another character, from what I recall), and Smash 4 definitely fixed that. (:4wiifit::rosalina::4palutena::4lucina::4bayonetta: and more if you count alts) Smash 4 barely had any villains (it was just Bowser, Ganondorf, and Bowser Junior unless you stretched it), and Smash Ultimate gave us a lot of villains (:ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultpiranha::ultkrool::ultkazuya::ultsephiroth:). One thing that I hope that the next Smash game does is expand on series currently in the roster that aren't Mario, Pokemon, or Fire Emblem.

Sure, a new Pokemon and Fire Emblem character seems almost inevitable, but there's so much that could be done with:

-Donkey Kong (Dixie? Cranky?)
-Kirby (Bandanna Waddle Dee? Dark Matter? Marx? Heck, Kirby Star Allies gives a bunch of options on its own)
-The Legend of Zelda (how have we gone more than two decades without a new Zelda character? Seriously, it's bizarre, especially when Hyrule Warriors made the bug-catching girl from Twilight Princess playable)
-Splatoon (Octoling, Callie, Marie, Pearl, Marina, DJ Octavio...)
-Sonic the Hedgehog (Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow, Amy, Blaze, Big the Cat...)
-Earthbound (Porky, Mother 1-era Giygas, the Masked Man - there are a bunch of options for villains)
-Pikmin (they could make Alph an echo fighter, at the very least - I had an idea for Plasm Wraith, but that might be a stretch)

I could probably keep going (Jeanne could be an echo fighter for Bayonetta), but you probably get my point.

Also, I hope that we get Dante, Doomguy, and/or Geno in the next Smash game. I'd like to think that the Mii costumes are good signs, though I realize that the last two depend entirely on whether or not Microsoft and Square-Enix can be convinced to cooperate for another game.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Greetings, all denizens of the new thread! Crazy to think we’re finally on to the next of speculation. In celebration of this, I’ve decided to create a small gigapost about what I think the next iteration of Smash might look like.
First, we need to address the state of this new game. That being, Ultimate DX or Smash 6?
This is a tough question to answer. As both have pretty hefty pros and cons going for them.

Ultimate DX:
Pros:
•No worries about how to top Ultimate, since everything is there.
•Allows for easy reuse of resources, ensuring more content for less dev time.
•All focus can be put on new content.

Cons:
•Legal Nightmare to make happen.
•Licensing Fees are through the roof for a simple port.
•People are less likely to be excited for a port of the game that already sold great on the last console.

Smash 6:
Pros:
•A new game for Nintendo to Market.
•Skirts legal hell.
•Allows the series to be reinvented.

Cons:
•Presumably costs a lot more money to develop.
•Risks splitting the community again.
•Has to live up to Ultimate's massive standards.

Overall, both have a very strong argument to be made for and against them. Neither will be surprising to see happen. Now that we’ve discussed that (at least for this post) we can discuss the potential new additions.
The Locks

There are only two characters in this category, and neither have an actual Identity, rather being characters from series with new reps every game without fail.
1634861835931.png
1634861863718.png

Mario has been around since the beginning, it is Nintendo's top franchise, and it has received a rep every single game without fail. Whether it’s Toad or Waluigi, maybe Geno or Paper Mario, or even Ashley or King boo, a Mario character will come. Who knows, maybe we’ll even see a few of them join the battle.

Pokemon follows the same rule as Mario, biggest Media franchise ever. Needs a rep, has always gotten a rep. There are no frontrunners for this position, as Gen 9 and maybe even 10 will be done by the time this game releases. So the character will almost certainly come from them.

Some might be wondering why I didn’t put Fire Emblem here. Due to the series lower popularity and much, MUCH higher amount of Vitriol for it’s inclusion, I wouldn’t call a new rep a lock. Not impossible or even necessarily unlikely, just not a lock.

First Parties generally get favor over 3rd Parties for base game, so this is the list I think to best look out for.
Raven Beak | Wikitroid | Fandom

Otherwise known as Raven Beak, the Chozo General has established himself as the main antagonist of Metroids second wind as a series. Dread did bonkers numbers compared to the rest of the series and the Chozo Generals design and movepool has struck a definite chord with Metroid fans. His inclusion wouldn’t be at all surprising. Though, there is a decent problem. That being Raven Beak is dead after just his first appearance. While Smash does have a few characters with singular appearances, series with consistent characters normally get those guys included instead of one offs (See LoZs representation). So Raven Beak may not be able to recover from his rather unfortunate fate with a Smash Invite. Hopefully Bird Magic can work it’s miracles once again for the General.

1634862195436.png
Hailing from the Golden Sun series, Isaac has been a consistent name since Smash 4. Due to Ultimates smaller than usual base roster (in terms of newcomers at least), Isaac unfortunately was only able to return as an Assist Trophy and Mii Costume. Regardless, the demand is there, and now's as good a time as any since Golden Sun seems to be in talks for something to happen (if those rumours are still going around that is).

Bandana Waddle Dee | Kirby Wiki | Fandom

Ah yes, everyone's favorite goomba :troll:. Bandana Waddle Dee has had his fair share of Smash support and with Kriby finally breaking into the 3rd dimension it might finally be time for the 4th main character to get his spot. Being a simply beloved character from a veteran First Party series (technically second party but whatever) that hasn’t gotten a rep since Brawl means Bandana Dee may in fact get his chance to Smash.

Mary Cagle on Twitter: "honestly I wish neither of the playable octolings  had the skimpy leather thing going on =___= At least Marina is of age, and  I could pretend the same

I wavered a bit on putting them in the Echo section, but the general consensus is that they’d work as unique characters too. Splatoon is massive, requests are there, pull the trigger Nintendo. No real reason not to.

I am positive there are more I’m missing, but these I’d say are the big ones for Smash 6. Though obviously this will change by the time the game actually turns up.
With Ultimate introducing the concept, it’s a shame there weren’t many new inclusions. I won’t delve too deep as most of the choices boil down to “very popular, easy to develop”

Dixie Kong - Super Mario Wiki, the Mario encyclopedia

Dixie's inclusion would essentially complete the main cast of playable Donkey Kong characters, seeing as these DK, Diddy, and Dixie are only ones to have gotten to be protagonists of their own games.

Impa | Nintendo | Fandom

Zelda really has gotten the short end of the stick with Smash Bros. While Pokemon and Mario haven’t skipped a single game for Newcomers, Zelda hasn’t gotten a character since Brawl (And a non Link character since ****ing Melee). Impa being a recurring Zelda character and being an echo means hopefully the curse can be lifted.

1634863148778.png

IIRC Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are rumored to be in Development. If so Black Knight would likely be an easy choice to include, especially given how distinct he is from the rest of the FE cast.

Tom Nook - Animal Crossing - Play Nintendo

Animal Crossing won’t stop doing numbers. A case could be made that the proportions are different enough he’d need to be at least a Semi Clone, but I can’t answer that so he’s here.
Ah, the big ones, so to speak. Base game normally tends to focus on older franchises with an established history with Nintendo, so that's what I’ll be focusing on.
One of the few remaining NES all-stars - Bill “Mad Dog” Rizer for Smash  (and maybe Lance Bean as an echo/alt). | Smashboards

Bill Rizer and Lance Bean. Hailing from Konami, Contra is a massively beloved old school franchise, the shooter mechanics it could bring are unique and this pair of characters would fit right in on the roster. Good chance they’d come as echoes the same way Simon and Richter did. It’s surprising Contra was completely overlooked for any representation. Especially with the new game everyone wants to forget happening.

Alucard (Castlevania) - Wikipedia

Another Konami character, Alucard was actually considered for Ultimate before Simon and Richter were decided on instead. Him being reconsidered now that the Belmonts are here isn’t a big stretch.

Ryu Hayabusa | One Minute Melee Fanon Wiki | Fandom

This time from Koei Tecmo, Hayabusa was a powerhouse in Speculation for a massive amount of Ultimate, and for good reason. His role as an NES icon, modern avatar of the Hack and Slash, and consistent Dead or Alive appearances gives him a legacy that is almost unrivaled.

Dante | Devil May Cry Wiki | Fandom

A massive fan request for the longest time. Dante has been in Smash speculation since DLC started. While he was only able to come as a Mii, his popularity was Officially acknowledged by Sakurai and Nintendo. Given Capcom's willingness to play ball with Base roster inclusions, Dante has a better chance than most.
Shadow the Hedgehog | Sonic News Network | Fandom

Someone many people thought was a lock base game, Shadow couldn’t quite edge out a victory. With Sonic's representation feeling Smaller each passing game, Shadow would scratch an itch many people are annoyed by. As a Robotnik supporter myself, I can’t deny that I too would be happy if the Ultimate Lifeform joined the Ultimate Smash (or the non Ultimate Smash if we don’t Ultimate DX)

Ms. Pac-Man | Pac-Man Wiki | Fandom

A bonafide Classic, with her legal issues finally sorted it seems. Ms. Pacman would be a natural fit amongst Ultimate's other Arcade Kings.

The Jin Kazama Workout – Be a Game Character

Another Fighting Game legend, Jin’s role in the Tekken series cannot be understated and he would work well as the Ultimate foil to Kazuya. While his echoeness might have to be stretched closer to the likes of Ken instead of Chrom, Jin would make for a fairly interesting inclusion to the game.

Big Boss (Metal Gear) - Wikipedia

Yet another Konami character, Big Boss’s pivotal role in Metal Gear cannot be understated and given how easy an echo he’d be of Solid Snake it isn’t hard to imagine we get a Second Snake to compliment our 3 Links, 2 Marios, and 2(3?) Samuses.
Although it might seem like we’re done, there is something Smash itself has been ignoring for quite some time now.
With Ultimate being a celebration of gaming of sorts, the complete lack of the little guys making big games is seen as pretty disappointing by most people. Hopefully this new game can clear up that problem so we don’t have to halfheartedly call Steve an Indie Rep anymore.

Shantae PNG Images, Transparent Shantae Image Download - PNGitem

This is a very bold claim, but I will say that as of now I think Shantae has a better chance at appearing as a fighter than any other specific character I’ve listed thus far. Being first included as a spirit during Base Game Ultimate because of large Fan Demand, and then being included later in Ultimate as a mii due to large fan demand, and her owners being completely on board for Smash bros. I honestly think Shantae has an over 50% chance to appear next Smash as a fighter.

Undertale on Steam

A series I admit I am biased for, Undertales mega popularity and Toby Foxes friendship with both Sakurai and Nintendo lead me to think of Undertale more and more as time passes. Not necessarily as a fighter, but content in some form seems to have a great shot. The real question is which [BIG SHOT] Nintendo will choose.

The making of Shovel Knight - Polygon

The titular King of Crossovers, Shovel Knight cemented himself as the first indie series to get amiibo, and the only Indie series to get an Assist trophy in Ultimate. His helmet has become the icon of Indie games and him not getting any content next time, fighter or not, would be a crime.

Reimu Hakurei | Touhou Wiki | Fandom

A character I fully admit I know next to nothing about. Reimu seems massive in Japan, to the point her popularity and Tohou as a whole bleeds over here in the form of unofficial but creator approved localizations. Whether her Japanese popularity will trump her Western obscurity remains to be seen, but I know a good few people who would be happy to see her.
So, that is my first post on this thread. Took me a long while to complete, but I am very happy with how it turned out. While Smash 6 or Ultimate DX may be a long way out, let’s have some fun talking about what could be, shall we?

Top Bottom