• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
25 newcomers? I’ll have a go
  1. Toad
  2. Toadette
  3. Chibi-Robo
  4. Tails
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Rex (xenoblade)
  7. Noah (xenoblade)
  8. Impa
  9. Octoling
  10. Professor Layton
  11. Phoenix Wright
  12. Jibanyan (yokai watch)
  13. Bulborb (pikmin)
  14. Chum (splatoon)
  15. Ashley Mizuki Robins (another code)
  16. Howard (astral chain)
  17. Oliver (ni no kuni)
  18. Dachsbun
  19. Mimikyu
  20. Agumon
  21. Riku (kingdom hearts)
  22. Grunty (banjo kazooie)
  23. The Knight (hollow knight)
  24. Hat Kid (a hat in time)
  25. Cranky Kong

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Alright 25 newcomers. I'll try to limit to 10 third party just to have some balance:

1. Mio (Xenoblade)
2. Dixie Kong
3. Ring fit adventurer
4. Meowscarada
5. Paper Mario
6. Takamaru
7. Chorus kids
8. Porky
9. Matthew (Xenoblade)
10. Lyn (Fire emblem)
11. DJ Octavio
12. Octoling
13. Ayumi Tachibana
14. Sidon (Zelda)
15. Tom Nook
16. Doom slayer
17. Scorpion (Mortal kombat)
18. Jill Valentine
19. Ichiban Kasuga
20. Adol Christin
21. Professor Layton
22. Cadence (Crypt of the necrodancer)
23. Kris (Deltarune)
24. Phoenix Wright
25. Felyne (Monster hunter)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh, shoot! Let me try!

1. Geno
2. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Captain Syrup
5. Wart (From Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2)
6. Noah
7. Mio (Echo of Noah)
8. Spring Man (ARMS)
9. Rayman
10. Bomberman
11. Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
12. Ryu Haysbusa
13. Dr. Eggman
14. Octoling (Echo of Inkling)
15. Crash Bandicoot
16. Spyro
17. Doomguy
18. Takamaru
19. Lara Croft
20. Paper Mario
21. Sukapon
22. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
23. Black Shadow (Clone of Captain Falcon)
24. Ayumi Tachitana
25. Bub and Bob

Laniv

Smash Champion
In no particular order except the first four:

1. Toad
2. Dixie Kong
3. Tom Nook
4. Bandana Dee
5. Octoling
6. King Boo
7. Pauline
8. Magolor
9. Meowth
10. Elma (Xenoblade X)
11. Pig Ganon
12. Mona
13. Takamaru
14. Chibi-Robo
15. Savvy Stylist
16. Ms. Rhythm (the Tap Trial girl)
17. Isaac
18. Lip
19. Tiki (preferably her Awakening design)
20. Tails
21. Bomberman
22. Chun-Li
23. Arle Nadja
24. Cuphead
25. Cooking Mama

And here's a bonus batch of echoes, just because:

Alph (Olimar echo like he should have been)
Lakitu (Bowser Jr. echo)
Glass Joe (Little Mac echo)
Bass (Mega Man echo)
Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool echo)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
25 newcomer? Ok
1. Geno
2. Isaac
3. Alex kidd
4. Grovyle (PMD)
5. Bomberman
6. Sukapon
7. Rayman
8. Crash bandicoot
9. Club Penguin
10. Harry (Teleroboxer)
11. Black shadow
12. Captian syrup
13. Doom slayer
14. Tetromino
15. Hsein-ko (Darkstalkers)
16. Skull kid
17. Space invaders
18. Agumon
19. Sub-zero
20. CATS (Zero wing)

5 echoes
Ninten
Boshi
Ms. Pac-man
Shadow

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly same, smash has slowly added all the characters ive been wanting since i was a kid, with the only one left being Agumon.

Im mostly interested in new series joining rather than expanding on what we got. So stuff like Yakuza and Ace Attorney.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So there's some more details on the Bandai Namco teams for Nintendo games, job listings for a 2D Action game and 3D Action game in particular.

Someone in the comments noted that, according to the Famiboard members, the people credited on the site as Studio S all have worked on Smash Bros. while the person credited as Studio 2 didn't work on Smash. So they speculated that Studio S might be where the people who worked on Smash went to while Studio 2 might be the support team who help with titles like Mario Kart and ARMS.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
1702966567228.png

The hardest part about making 25 is in fact the act of narrowing it down. There's just a lot of good stuff out there and even looking at what's posted it's like "oh damn yeah they'd be rad too" but that's the point of having the limit.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For real if Phoenix wright ever joins smash i also want Ryunosuke to show up as an echo fighter.

Almost entirely because i think the courtroom Ryunosuke goes too in his games would make for a better stage than the courtroom Phoenix normally goes too

The scales of justice in the back feel like they would make a good stage hazzard knowing what happens at the end of the Great ace attorney story the scales get knocked down from where their hanging from and make the courtroom burst into flames because their currently lit up

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Here's a set of 2 wishlists I made a few months ago - I'm running off of best-case-scenario assumptions here, a good chunk of this roster I do think the moveset design for could be fumbled. There's one or two picks I'd maybe swap out with hindsight (I think I'd swap bus driver for Dashing Super Guy and The Sims for Tetromino at least. I'm also tempted to swap out Kawashima, but I struggle to think of 1st party characters I'd want more, the well's pretty dry (maybe Master Belch?)), but it mostly stands. This isn't really accounting for characters I think should be in, but wouldn't feel strongly about their addition in practice (like Kratos and Chief) or clones (in which case, give me The Amazon for Incineroar, Paula for Ness, Igglybuff, a Mario character in small/powered-down form, and a second doctor)
Screenshot 2023-08-24 210254.png
Screenshot 2023-08-24 212625.png

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
I dont have a top 25 best i can do is 18:

Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Impa (The Legend of Zelda)
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Leon/Jill (Resident Evil)
Tifa (Final Fantasy 7)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Gran/Djeeta (Granblue Fantasy)
Nakoruru (Samurai Showdown)
Toad (Super Mario)
2B (Nier:Automata)
Lute/Sophie (Monster Hunter Stories)
Ray MK III (Custom Robo Arena)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
Raiden (Metal Gear Rising)

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
25 is too much to think for someone who truly only wants Rayman at this point so best y'all are getting is a repost of my 20
View attachment 381917
Same here. 25 is way too long a list when I basically reached the barrel of investment picks. There aren't that many characters I care about anymore. For most, NIntendo has about 8 or less 1st party picks I'm asking for. And for third party I'll throw in Scorpion, Rayman, Tomba as most other picks I've long since gotten over.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
A mook who'd be cool is Skulltula. Should wait for a non-triforce-wielder or two IMO, but I'd love to see how Smash pulls off a spider. I don't really think they count, but the Ghost Gang are very underrated, and you'd think they'd be brought up more given how iconic they are and how much Smash speculation loves its main-villains

Commercial rep would be good, but I can't say I can really see the most popular picks of Non-Specific Action Figure or Segata Sanshiro being that interesting - I think Dashing Super Guy would be rad, he'd work as either a composite of references to 80s/90s Nintendo ads, or you could give him his own moveset independent of the other ads - "Captain Falcon but he's a rubberhose cartoon" is a really fun idea.
I would personally say the zelda spiders that should be playable:
are Tektite or Gohma
After all both of them are in oot too!
Also Tektites and gohma go back to the first game!

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty optimistic about the prospect of returning third parties next game but I have to question the decision to keep all three SE characters and none of the Microsoft or especially Konami characters? I'd like to keep Hero and Sephiroth around as much as the next guy, but they are demonstrably the most difficult and/or expensive to work with. I can respect wanting to condense the scope and not bring every single collaborator back but this feels a bit more ambitious than I'm expecting. Certainly at least Simon or Terry would be more practical to bring back than 2/3 of that lineup, it's too easy to just go back to the same guys who were already playing ball in Smash 4. It weirdly feels simultaneously too ambitious and too conservative.

I can't help but notice K. Rool got cut too, which I can understand to a degree but is jarring to see considering he was on the last one and this is a bigger roster than that. Would be disappointing but is probably not the biggest issue I have with it. Would also advocate for someone new from Animal Crossing and Splatoon seeing how you're leaving spaces open for contemporary characters and someone in the ballpark of Tom Nook or Octoling is pretty much guaranteed to continue to be relevant.
I was on the fence about the SE characters, as I’ve heard conflicting information about if they’re good with Nintendo, or if they’d be stingy as hell with a new game. Same applies to Microsoft, and Konami.

Animal Crossing doesn’t have a lot to go off from for a new fighter. They would likely end up as an echo of Villager and/or Isabelle.

For Octolings, something I don’t see brought up is ink colour issues, as both Inklings and Octolings will have to have different enough ink colours (not good for the colour blind). It might be a better method to simply make Octoling just a skin for Inkling, like how Alph is to Olimar.

K. Rool was cut in the previous version due to other missed opportunities such as Ness and CF, and my general idea of moving away from the Smash Ballot, even if slightly.

One thing I didn’t really get to talk about was clones. Clones happen. Every game. It’s inevitable. Be it planned from the start, or a last minute bonus. By this metric, it’s possible that other veterans such as Daisy, Dark Samus, Ken, or new echoes such as Shadow could get in. And that’s not even talking about clones of new characters.

Some new characters were considered, but ultimately didn’t make it. Waluigi and Geno just didn’t have a lot of potential compared to other options. Rex (in his XC3 design) would have made for one too many Xenoblade characters for the Smash fanbase (despite dual wielding being something we haven’t really seen yet).

What I do think of next game, is that we get less ‘hype’ picks.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I do hope the next Smash moves away from appealing to fan demand a little roster-wise, at least compared to base Ultimate, but I also doubt it. Fan picks aren't inherently bad (see: Waluigi on my MW list), but I think they aren't inherently good either, and leaning too hard into them can come to the detriment of a roster. (plus, most of the consistently-requested Smash characters are uhh... let me be frank, lame. Especially on the 1P side) - while I'd prefer them to choose either a Celebration of Gaming or a Nintendo All Star game, I don't mind having a half-Nintendo roster and half-everyone else roster, but I'd very much prefer to avoid grey area characters like Banjo and Geno, they just feel like wastes to me, and could contribute to misconceptions about gaming history, even if that isn't the intent. EIH doesn't need to happen again (though I think it very likely will)

I think my three biggest hopes for a future Smash are 1. good gameplay, not necessarily a competitive-balanced game, (if anything I think designing Smash games for comp play could be detrimental with the roster size and moveset design casual fans want) just something where it's fun to run around and statisfying to land hits with minimal input delay; 2. a more lighthearted tone and aesthetic like 64 and the 8th gen games (especially if there's another story mode - can you please do one of these that isn't about dieties and genocide and weird edgy depressing things for once?); and 3. a different approach to marketing, trailers are fine in concept, but not every unique newcomer needs them, and the trailers that are made shouldn't be treated as bigger reveals than those of entire games.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im willing to strike a compromise:
1702993569144.jpeg

Also obviously the moveset should be based on smash 4 without the gale boomerang!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly, this is the reason every major animation company should just make their on spin on platform fighters. Let's continue the trend that give everyone closure.
Especially with how Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl and Multiversus turned out.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Honestly, my pipe dream for SSBU in 2024 is a DLC expansion pack with not just new fighters, but new single-player content and QOL improvements as well. I know it’s probably way too late for anything other than the Spirit Events that we know for sure are coming BUT LET ME DREAM DAMNIT.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't mind having a half-Nintendo roster and half-everyone else roster, but I'd very much prefer to avoid grey area characters like Banjo and Geno, they just feel like wastes to me, and could contribute to misconceptions about gaming history, even if that isn't the intent.
Even if characters like Banjo or Geno don't reach the same degree of iconography as an unambigious icon that transformed the gaming landscape like, say, Pac-Man or Ryu, I still don't see why they shouldn't qualify as general gaming all-stars or be eligible for Smash. Banjo-Kazooie is still one of the most fondly remembered early 3-D platforms and heavily influenced the direction of many celebrated games that came after it, like Super Mario Sunshine and Psychonauts. Mario RPG is a little less important in the grand scheme of things, but it still holds historical value as a collaboration between two of early console gaming's greatest development teams, the introduction of the biggest IP in gaming to a new genre, and an early example of a commercially successful RPG in the West that predates Final Fantasy VII or Pokemon Red and Blue.

Also, it seems... odd to treat characters like Banjo and Geno as having a higher bar to entry because they're more Nintendo-centric and are heavily requested by fans. If Devil May Cry 1-3 was released on the GameCube rather than the PS2, Wouldn't that be an additional reason to support Dante's inclusion rather than a detriment? Similarly, shouldn't we get at least some characters that were requested by the general fan base? I understand not wanting to make Smash into a popularity contest among those who spend time on the internet talking about Nintendo games, but this seems to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes the Smash fanbase is on to something that Sakurai may not have picked up on. Ridley is the key example of this, but you could also extend it to characters like King K. Rool or the Belmonts.

While I do admire the idea of reformatting Smash to be a more objective representation of gaming history, I don't know if that's feasibly possible. Even ignoring licensing issues, Smash's representation of gaming history is already pretty biased outside of Nintendo being overrepresented. Specifically, Smash is highly focused on arcade and console games, platformers and RPGs, Japanese games, and games dating back to the 1980s and 1990s. Let's be honest, Joker and Terry would probably not get into a general gaming crossover before Captain Pryce or Jonesy. However, they also have merits within the general gaming landscape and make for fun fighters, so I think it's fine that they aren't the biggest fish in the pond.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, it seems... odd to treat characters like Banjo and Geno as having a higher bar to entry because they're more Nintendo-centric and are heavily requested by fans
You have no idea how odd his beliefs can be do you?

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
So there's some more details on the Bandai Namco teams for Nintendo games, job listings for a 2D Action game and 3D Action game in particular.

Someone in the comments noted that, according to the Famiboard members, the people credited on the site as Studio S all have worked on Smash Bros. while the person credited as Studio 2 didn't work on Smash. So they speculated that Studio S might be where the people who worked on Smash went to while Studio 2 might be the support team who help with titles like Mario Kart and ARMS.
So I guess "Studio S" really means "Studio Smash"?

Honestly, this is the reason every major animation company should just make their on spin on platform fighters. Let's continue the trend that give everyone closure.
I say this about game companies too. When people look all the characters a company like SEGA owns, it's really a shame that they themselves haven't got in on something like this again since Fighters Megamix.

Pardon me if people notice I talk about SEGA a lot lately but I guess I'm get a little slight burnout from Smash speculations and just wondering what other company can potentially pull off something just as good. I see all these SEGA characters and crossovers that they made and think that they would make a really hyped crossover fighter. Even though I didn't grow up on SEGA like I did Nintendo, I always knew they made fun games and cool characters. I really hope they do make their own crossover party fighter.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
The S standing for Smash is basically occam's razor, ngl.

Smash is Namco's biggest collaboration with Nintendo. Yes, they work on other games, but those are in support roles or on spin-off games. Nintendo and Namco have a good relationship (Nintendo owns substantially more shares of Bamco than they do most other independent gaming companies), and they've proven capable of making highly successful Smash titles.

It benefits Nintendo & Sakurai to have a consistent Smash dev - it's Nintendo's only AAA series that didn't have one. Nintendo is going to want a Smash game regularly for each platform, with consistent DLC afterwards. It also behooves Namco to have a part in such a blockbuster of a series, financially, professionally, and interpersonally. Sure they get less of the pie as contracted employees than were it their IP, but idk, lead devs on a game that sells 30 million; they're probably doing alright for themselves.

It's also probably part of a plan to set up a consistent team very experienced with Smash as Sakurai gradually reduces his own role.

And that's without it being called Studio S.

I kind of just assumed Smash was by far the likeliest option. Not that something else is impossible, but it'd be really surprising.

Top Bottom