• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
i actually don't remember the name. the main things i remember is he had bubble breath, there was a crop circle farm stage and i think i glitched into the final boss to early
If it's the game I'm thinking of (Enter the Dragonfly), that's actually at the top of the list. That game is pretty infamous due to how glitchy it was.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Year of the Dragonfly. That's the one I grew up with as well. I enjoyed it well enough when I first played it, but don't if it holds up as I never went back to it.

I do know that it's very glitchy and poorly optimized, which is why I'm guessing it's so divisive among Spyro fans.
that would explain the aforementioned early boss fight

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean there's no shame in eventually being less famous than Mario or Sonic. In the grand scheme Crash is still better known and more relevant than pretty much every other non-Nintendo platformer character and Crash 4 demonstrated there's still value in his gameplay. Heck that there's such relatively strong demand for him for Smash demonstrates his continued solid popularity with various fandoms.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Most want Crash for being Crash. For those that grew up in that era, having the console mascot trio is more of a nice bonus for reenactment purposes.

And while it's true he's not as big anymore, he's still in demand. Not like that stopped :ultbanjokazooie: who while having Nintendo ties, is far less relevant and is actually owned by a competitor.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Crash just had a big new game a few years ago.

Yes, "big". I remember when Crash 4 came out and it really brought Crash back to the forefront of mascot platformers. It definitely wasn't immediately forgotten outside of all but, like, 5 people in the Smash community.

At one point, Crash ended up becoming more popular than Sonic.
Based on what?

Most want Crash for being Crash. For those that grew up in that era, having the console mascot trio is more of a nice bonus for reenactment purposes.
Wanting Crash is fine. I'm sure he'll be in Smash eventually. Pretending Crash deserves to be considered an actual rival to Mario or Sonic is laughable.

Like, I want to see Morrigan in Smash. But I'm not gonna be like "So we can recreate that Ryu vs. Scorpion vs. Morrigan rivalry!" That would be delusional of me.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Wanting Crash is fine. I'm sure he'll be in Smash eventually. Pretending Crash deserves to be considered an actual rival to Mario or Sonic is laughable.

Like, I want to see Morrigan in Smash. But I'm not gonna like "So we can recreate that Ryu vs. Scorpion vs. Morrigan rivalry!" That would be delusional of me.
I wouldn't go that far.

As already pointed out, Crash got a lot of merch, appeared in commercials, and not only being a console mascot (one for PlayStation at that) but had some great games that are still fun to play even to this day. Heck, he even has a unique connection with the Japanese fanbase (they were the ones who came up with his famous dance). So it's safe say Crash was indeed a rival to Mario and Sonic, which was one of the reasons why he was the mascot in the first place.

I don't see how Morrigan compares to that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wouldn't go that far.

As already pointed out, Crash got a lot of merch, appeared in commercials, and not only being a console mascot (one for PlayStation at that) but had some great games that are still fun to play even to this day. Heck, he even has a unique connection with the Japanese fanbase (they were the ones who came up with his famous dance). So it's safe say Crash was indeed a rival to Mario and Sonic, which was one of the reasons why he was the mascot in the first place.

I don't see how Morrigan compares to that.
Genuine question but would you say Crash is more generally popular than Ratchet & Clank or Rayman? I know the former is very unlikely due to being owned by Sony but I feel like Crash hit his prime during the original PlayStation and the others had a bit longer stretch of popularity. I could be wrong since I never really closely followed any of them very closely.

There are basically two big things that I think make Morrigan possible, albeit somewhat unlikely:
1. We seem to get a traditional fighting game character during each wave of Smash DLC ( :ultryu: for Smash for, :ult_terry: for FP1, :ultkazuya: for FP2).
2. Our fighting game characters have, thus far, come exclusively from the golden age of Japanese arcade fighting games during the '90s.

This alone gives Morrigan a niche she could occupy. Darkstalkers is still a fondly remembered and influential classic of that era, especially in Japan. Being Capcom's other big fighting game franchise during that era certainly helps. Plus, Morrigan has a pretty unique moveset in terms of normals and potential mechanics that could be introduced and... other qualities that continue to make her incredibly popular 20+ years after Vampire Hunter/Saviour 2 was released.

That being said, Chun-Li, Sol, Scorpion, Nightmare, Nakoruru, a (dedicated) KoF character, and Kasumi could all theoretically occupy this spot as well, so I definitely agree she's not a shoe-in. Her being in competition with Capcom's stable is also a roadblock, but I have a hunch we'll get more than one Capcom character next game. There are just too many great choices to not double-dip.
Not gonna lie, I’m a bit sad to see Fulgore left off of this potential list of fighting game characters. I feel Killer Instinct is pretty overlooked among Smash fans.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Genuine question but would you say Crash is more generally popular than Ratchet & Clank or Rayman? I know the former is very unlikely due to being owned by Sony but I feel like Crash hit his prime during the original PlayStation and the others had a bit longer stretch of popularity. I could be wrong since I never really closely followed any of them very closely.

Not gonna lie, I’m a bit sad to see Fulgore left off of this potential list of fighting game characters. I feel Killer Instinct is pretty overlooked among Smash fans.
I'd definitely say he's more generally popular than Rayman at least. Ratchet is harder to gauge because the period where Ratchet was the most active was when Crash was in a slump, with really only Rift Apart and It's About Time being analogous. Despite not being that far apart, they tend to feel like characters from very different eras. I'd say that of the two, more of the general public knows about Crash, while Ratchet has his games played by more people these days if only because Sony usually goes really hard on the marketing for it (the absolute flop of a movie aside).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
At one point, Crash was more popular than Sonic. Imagine that

Hate to point it out to you, but there were multiple commercials, successful games, and even multiple action figures

At one point, Crash ended up becoming more popular than Sonic. That was pretty surprising to read and he had that potential to end up being the mascot for Sony.
I'm not opposed to Crash in Smash, but let's not rewrite history here. He was never at any point in time more popular than Sonic.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
that would explain the aforementioned early boss fight
No, that was a surprise mechanic.

Wait, that whole thing was about microtransactions, wasn't it?
I'd definitely say he's more generally popular than Rayman at least. Ratchet is harder to gauge because the period where Ratchet was the most active was when Crash was in a slump, with really only Rift Apart and It's About Time being analogous. Despite not being that far apart, they tend to feel like characters from very different eras. I'd say that of the two, more of the general public knows about Crash, while Ratchet has his games played by more people these days if only because Sony usually goes really hard on the marketing for it (the absolute flop of a movie aside).
If only Sony showed that kind of love to their other non-hyper realistic story-driven stuff. Only ever played the first level of the first Sly Cooper, but if I had grown up with that game, I'd probably have wound up a Sony fan instead of a Nintendo fan... and likely would've been even more depressed over that series being dead than I already am...

For some reason, talking about Sony's dead IPs makes me sad. I don't know why.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay folks. Here's a fun thought experiment.

Let's assume that Ultimate's newcomers were never included, but everything else in the gaming landscape stayed the same. Characters would still appear in titles and newer games would still be made.

How would the speculation around those characters change? Would some be seen as never evers? Would some have stronger cases for inclusion now than they did back then?

For the record, the newcomers are...

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultkazuya::ultsora:

Just to give one example, I think Daisy might become one of the most requested and most likely characters with her inclusion in Super Mario Wonder. Wonder would have taken the biggest argument against her (stuck in spin off hell since the 80s) and utterly demolished it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
This is what happens when they lock most of those IPs in the vault and go one to port The Last of Us to three different consoles.

...God, I miss Ape Escape. :(
I heard Jim Ryan is stepping down from Sony. Do you think this could possibly lead to better things?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Let's assume that Ultimate's newcomers were never included, but everything else in the gaming landscape stayed the same. Characters would still appear in titles and newer games would still be made.

How would the speculation around those characters change? Would some be seen as never evers? Would some have stronger cases for inclusion now than they did back then?

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultkazuya::ultsora:

Just to give one example, I think Daisy might become one of the most requested and most likely characters with her inclusion in Super Mario Wonder. Wonder would have taken the biggest argument against her (stuck in spin off hell since the 80s) and utterly demolished it.
Inkling: Would still be considered a lock obciously
Daisy: Might have been discussed a bit more thanks to Wonder like you said, but honestly I think she would have been slept on and Pauline would have been more discussed
Ridley: Would probably be seen as fairly likely, but the "too big" debate would still hurt him
Simon/Richter: The castlevania anime might help Simon's case a bit, but overall I think he would still be seen as fairly likely. Richter would still shocked everyone
Chrom: Would probably not be discussed at all considering how much time passed since Awakening and we got two new mainline FE games (Three houses and Engage). Of all the newcomers he's probably the one that would not make the cut if Ultimate had happened much later in the Switch era and Byleth would have maybe been in base game.
Dark Samus: Would still be discussed in the context of echo fighters discussion
K. Rool: Assuming he would still be requested, I think speculation would have been mostly the same
Isabelle: Like Inkling, would probably be considered even more of a lock that she was at the time
Ken: Probably not too different
Incineroar: Similar to Chrom, would probably not be discussed at all and would probably never make the cut and his spot would be given to a gen 8 or 9 Pokémon.
Piranha plant: No difference, would shock everyone
Joker: Might be speculated a bit because of the Persona Switch port, but overall would still be seen as very niche in speculation
Hero: Probably not too different
Banjo & Kazooie: Probably not too different, like K. rool assuming fan demand would still be there
Terry: Again, probably not too different I guess, wuld still surprised a lot of people
Byleth: Would probably not be speculate on too much because of Alear, but there still might be a niche that would rather want them (or another Three houses rep) before Engage thanks to Three houses very good reception
Min Min: Would probably be seen as "missing the boat" and not discussed too much
Steve: Not too different, it's still huge but most people would still think that it would be crazy
Sephiroth: Probably not too different again, there's some rumors that Remake will get a Switch 2 port which could have help his case I guess and with Rebirth coming soon too, but I think most people wouldn't predict him too much.
Pyra/Mytha: Would probably missed the boat and we would get Noah and Mio, people wouldn't talk about them too much
Kazuya: Probably similar, would be seen as a possibility for a next Namco Bandai rep, but because of Sakurai's comments on Heihachi in Smash 4 he wouldn't be predict too much
Sora: The same, people would still debate about Disney but he would still be a very request character.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I would say yes, Crash is more popular than Rachet and Rayman

No, that was a surprise mechanic.

Wait, that whole thing was about microtransactions, wasn't it?

If only Sony showed that kind of love to their other non-hyper realistic story-driven stuff. Only ever played the first level of the first Sly Cooper, but if I had grown up with that game, I'd probably have wound up a Sony fan instead of a Nintendo fan... and likely would've been even more depressed over that series being dead than I already am...

For some reason, talking about Sony's dead IPs makes me sad. I don't know why.
Its because Sony doesnt treat it's history the same way companies like Nintendo and Capcom do.

Even their big crossover game feels more corporate compared to the "celebratory" vibe nintendo gives to Smash bros. Thats probably why i never really engaged with Sony that much ovr the years, i only got a PS4 because of the Kingdom hearts collections

Joker would not be in the discussion at all lol Persona 5 is one of my favorite games of all time but i never once thought about how it could be included in smash.

Including Joker in the game really cemented a feeling of "anything can happen in smash"

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ulthero3::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya::ultsora:: I think speculation would be the same for these characters because nothing has happened that has really effected their chances since then. Some of them have still appeared in new games and others haven't but would still be popular in Smash discussions.

:ultdaisy:: Would be seen as more likely than before because of Super Mario Wonder.

:ultjoker:: Would be seen as more likely now that Persona 5 and most of its spinoffs have been released on the Switch.

:ultbanjokazooie:: I guess he would be seen as more likely now that Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare games have been re-released on the Switch.

:ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultbyleth:: I don't keep up with either series, so I can't really say for sure about them. Just that when it comes to Pokemon and Fire Emblem, a lot of characters get mentioned but you can always expect a rep or two.

:ultminmin: I don't think ARMS made much of an impact when it was released and by now, it's faded into the shadows of the more bigger hits on the Switch. Therefore, I doubt Min Min would ever emerge in discussions as a potential new character for Smash.

:ultpyra::ultmythra:: Even though Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the newest game in the series, I don't think it'll just a simple case of "new game, new rep". Both 2 and 3 were released on the Switch, so they're both still recent games. Fortunately for the fans, they can count on another XC rep after Shulk. It'll just be centered around which characters they like the most between the two games.

:ultpiranha:: Since he was totally unexpected, I don't think anybody would even consider him. At least, not seriously.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Inkling, Isabelle would still be seen as very, very likely picks. Ridley and K. Rool would still be powerhouses in the fan demand category (but we'd still probably have to hear about Ridley being too big, which would be a major drag).

In this hypothetical scenario, does Ultimate just not happen at all or does it happen with no/different newcomers? Like, do they introduce the Echo branding at all, for the veteran Echoes only, or for new ones also? If the Echo label is still a thing and Echo newcomers are still seen as on the table then Chrom and Dark Samus would be among the candidates for Echo spots but probably not slam dunk picks.

I could see an uptick in Daisy demand but she'd still be competing with the likes of Waluigi and Toad for a spot. Though she would have a better path if the potential Echo branding is on the table.

Somewhat similarly Ken just depends on how much people think third party Echoes/clones are possible.

Plant would still be seen as very unlikely. Even if we had gotten a different mook like Goomba or something, it still wouldn't be entirely clear if another such pick would happen, and even if it did I don't think Plant would necessarily be a clear-cut choice for it. And if there was no mook choice at all, then of course Plant wouldn't be expected at all.

Incineroar would probably not be seen as remotely likely since it would have horrible timing rather than roughly optimal timing, and especially without being in Smash it probably wouldn't be in the upper echelon of evergreen fan picks. But of course people would still speculate on Pokemon newcomers.

Castlevania would still be considered a fairly popular third party choice but probably a lot lower-key than some might think; remember Castlevania wasn't really expected at all before leaks for Ult happened. Also if Snake were not brought back in Ult (for example if Ult never happened at all), then anyone from Konami would potentially be seen as unlikely.

Byleth and Pyra/Mythra would be interesting cases. They of course wouldn't be very recent anymore for the next Smash. But TH was a pretty high-profile release and did much better than Engage so maybe they'd reach back for that still. Similarly with P/M: they wouldn't be the most recent Xenoblade characters but Xeno2 is still on the same console as its successor Xeno3, with Xeno2 so far being higher-performing. So how much would it matter that Engage/Xeno3 are more recent when TH/Xeno2 were higher-performing and still in the Switch era?

ARMS would probably be in a similar place as Astral Chain is right now. It'd be just a little farther into the rearview than Astral Chain but also higher-performing than Astral Chain. So I think an ARMS rep would be considered possible but not top-priority. Though I think Spring Man would probably be considered the frontrunner for an ARMS rep over Min Min; I mean the circumstances surrounding Min Min in particular being chosen were quite unforeseen.

As for the third parties, it depends on how this hypothetical scenario goes down. If Ult never happens, then probably only a few third parties would be expected for the next game. If Ult happens and gets a similar number of third parties in its DLC, but just different ones than what we actually got, then it's of course a much different situation.
I can't see Joker, Terry, Sephiroth, or Sora being considered too likely. Steve would remain divisive. Banjo would remain popular but that would also remain pretty much his only way in. I think DQ and Tekken content would still be seen as possible third parties but they'd be competing with other same-company choices.

Laniv

Smash Champion

:ultdaisy: Super Mario Bros. Wonder would give her a huge boost. She'd still have to contend with Toad, Waluigi, and possibly Pauline, but she'd at least have some kind of edge.

:ultbyleth::ultincineroar::ultpyra::ultmythra: :ultminmin :ultchrom: On the other end, these characters would be squarely in "missed the boat" territory. Byleth, Chrom, Incineroar, and the Aegis would get passed over in favor of Alear, Meowscarada, and Noah (and Mio?), and Min Min would be tossed aside with Elma, Officer Howard and Wonder Red.

:ultbanjokazooie: This is a tough one. If they did make it to NSO's Expansion Pack without Smash, that would take the biggest hurdle they had (Microsoft jail) and snap it in two. If not, they're still stuck in pipe dream land.

... everyone else, I think would still be in the same spot. Inkling would be seen as a lock, Ridley and K. Rool would still have to deal with "too big/not enough relevance", Sora and Sephiroth would still be seen as pipe dreams, and no one would pay too much attention to Piranha Plant or Joker.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do think people are underestimating two characters in particular.

Chrom and Min Min. Chrom is just one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters period. We have evidence he scored high on the ballot and timing had no bearing on his inclusion. Awakening was old news by then, and the game had two characters already. Chrom wasn't reliant on timing like a lot of characters. He still had support regardless.

And I will always come to ARMS' defense. It's not that dissimilar to Pikmin or Xenoblade Chronicles when they got their start. Granted, I do wonder why there has been no new game, but I assume the team is busy.

But I suppose... This is how they would have been viewed and not how their standings actually are.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Improve:
:ultdaisy:: As you said, Wonder removes a major point against her and would push her as a more prominent potential Mario character.

:ulthero:: DQ11 breaking a million would give him more western presence and thus more fans talking about him even if just a bit more.

Borderline:
:ultrichter:: Nocturne would have more fans asking for him either instead of Simon, or alongside him as a costume or clone. Still, Simon would reign over him, and even in regard to the Netflix show Trevor would also be in contention for similar reasons.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Would still have pushback due to being considered 'irrelevant', but having their game on NSO would remove one of the major arguments against them.
:ultjoker:: Persona making it to the Switch would remove a major argument against him, but he would still have many fans pushing against him due to still not being 'Nintendo enough'.

Lose standing:
:ultincineroar:: Pokemon's rotating cast would mean that many fans would consider the heel wrestler to have missed the boat and move on to talking about the current generation.
:ultbyleth:: Similar issue to Incineroar, though to their credit would still be asked for due to TH being the most successful FE as of this current time and even getting a spinoff to itself.
:ultpyra::ultmythra:: Again, like Incineroar and Byleth, they would be considered to have missed their chance and many would be focusing on the XB3 protagonists. Like Byleth though, would still have some push due to being popular characters.

Everyone else would be about the same as nothing has really happened to their series or the characters themselves to move things in a significant way. The only special mention I'll make is :ultpiranha: as without it being present many would still consider generic enemies off the table, and even for those who do bring it up it would also be in contention with other well-known Mario enemies.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Yes, "big". I remember when Crash 4 came out and it really brought Crash back to the forefront of mascot platformers. It definitely wasn't immediately forgotten outside of all but, like, 5 people in the Smash community.

Based on what?

Like, I want to see Morrigan in Smash. But I'm not gonna be like "So we can recreate that Ryu vs. Scorpion vs. Morrigan rivalry!" That would be delusional of me.
I'm very late in replying to this, but my point was never meant to agree with the notion that Crash is a household name like Mario or Sonic. I was merely stating that he still has plenty of demand regardless of that fact and is in a technical better position industry wise compared to others like Banjo who wound up getting into Ultimate.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm not opposed to Crash in Smash, but let's not rewrite history here. He was never at any point in time more popular than Sonic.
Actually he was. At the time he was pretty popular, Sonic was in the middle of a slump. You may want to do your research because facts were there and even I was surprised by it

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I may be wrong and it could be my own bias speaking but I’ve always thought that Crash was overall less generally popular than the Blizzard games such as WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Overwatch. I know Crash is more popular in terms of Smash fans but I never really saw his series having as much of a cultural aspect as Blizzard’s. I feel like the reason Crash is more popular among Smash fans is due to the fact that his games were largely on consoles as opposed to PC and Crash fits in really well with characters like Mario and Sonic, coming from a platformer. I think Skylanders also likely had a bigger cultural impact on gaming than Crash as well as far as the Activision side goes. Again, I could be wrong and Crash would still be cool so we could see a platformer character associated with every major console developer (I still feel like Crash makes me think of Sony despite now being owned by Microsoft).

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I may be wrong and it could be my own bias speaking but I’ve always thought that Crash was overall less generally popular than the Blizzard games such as WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Overwatch. I know Crash is more popular in terms of Smash fans but I never really saw his series having as much of a cultural aspect as Blizzard’s. I feel like the reason Crash is more popular among Smash fans is due to the fact that his games were largely on consoles as opposed to PC and Crash fits in really well with characters like Mario and Sonic, coming from a platformer. I think Skylanders also likely had a bigger cultural impact on gaming than Crash as well as far as the Activision side goes. Again, I could be wrong and Crash would still be cool so we could see a platformer character associated with every major console developer (I still feel like Crash makes me think of Sony despite now being owned by Microsoft).
I like to think the reason we consider Crash to be a rival to Mario the same way as Sonic (And by extension to Smash Bros) is because they're platformers. In other words Apples to Apples.

This is why you don't see people compare Mario to Halo or God of War. Because they're completely different genres, Apples and Oranges.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Actually he was. At the time he was pretty popular, Sonic was in the middle of a slump. You may want to do your research because facts were there and even I was surprised by it
I'm not sure what you're even talking about. If you did your ressearch better than me, then show your source.

At Crash's peak popularity (1996 to 1999), Sonic adventure released, which was one of the most critically acclaimed game at the time and sold 2,5 million copies on a console that had 9 million sales. Yes, the number itself might seems low, but this means that 1/4 of Dreamcast owner had that game. If this isn't showing popularity, I don't know what will. Besides, at the same time Sonic already had 2 different cartoons, with a third (Sonic underground) in 1999. There was also the Archie comics who were arguably at peak popularity at this time too. And Sonic probably had much more merch than Crash ever had even at this time.

And that's not even counting the fact that Sonic just had a way bigger legacy at the time. The 2d Sonic games were absolutely huge, and just because of the Dreamcast poor sales doesn't mean that suddenly everyone forgot about Sonic's existence. To give another example, you wouldn't say that Pikmin is more popular than Pac-Man just because modern Pac-Man stuff doesn't sell that much. People still remember much better Pac-Man because of his huge legacy, and that's the same for Sonic. Even if he had some difficult phases, he's still far more popular than Crash Bandicoot.

Stratos

Smash Ace
It is known to everyone that Mario and Sonic are among the most popular video game characters and since the NES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive era these two have been rivals. After all, this is why they made the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games crossover series from the Wii era. Also Sonic as it is also known was created by Sega because they needed a character to compete with Mario, that is a character that is as famous as Mario and one would say they succeeded. As for Crash ok he became famous but I'm not sure if he can compete with Mario and Sonic and that's just an opinion because I like Crash Bandicoot but I can't be sure.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Crash/Sonic thing is tricky because while I would say that former was generally more significant than the latter in the gaming sphere specifically circa 1996-1998 (with Sonic Adventure 1's release coming way too late in the latter year and not enough of a worldwide release to have a big enough impact), Sonic was likely bigger with stuff like merch and media like the Archie comic still keeping the brand relatively strong during that same period.

Within gaming its arguably a dead heat in 1999, but 2000 and on the quantity and spotlight of Sonic releases effectively allow it to regain its number two platformer spot behind Mario.

Its this specifically. Console and PC releases cross pollinate so much now, but there was a long period where they often operated in their own worlds. Obviously there were always people who played both and stuff like WoW was a mega-success within broader culture early on, however there was much less crossover and many console gamers often didn't venture into PC gaming because it was not sufficiently streamlined for them. For many, until the installation/setting adjustment process was accessible to a layman and a platform like Steam came along, it was just considered to complex or too much work for some players.

While that era has largely faded, the fandom legacy of major franchises for players still lingers on, with many of the Blizzard IP's still far more significant to some fans than those of Activision, largely because of the kind of gaming they did growing up.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Crash may not have been a household name like Mario and Sonic but was he a competitor? Definitely! If he was console mascot and his games were successful, then he could compete with the plumber boy and the blue blur. He's an icon in 3D platforming and as a PlayStation mascot. Fans still love the PS1 games to this day. They're timeless classics, just like the older Mario and Sonic games.

Now if you want a console mascot that was never a rival for ANY of them, then look no further than Blinx. Though, I wouldn't be surprise if most people don't know who he is.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
All I will say on Crash is that, while I feel he is Mid moveset wise, he's also way more likely than Skylanders to ever get into Smash unfortunately, even if Swap-Force as a Concept would be amazing in Smash. Imagine essentially a 4-in-1 because you can swap the Tops and bottoms. Luckily for me Doom is more likely than both so we'll be good for a bit lol.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I dunno, I feel like Crash is definitely "missing" but he's also not my favorite, but that's to say none of them (animal platform characters) are my go-to choices for newcomers. But I do appreciate that he's got a substantial following and he's iconic for sure. It also seems that Nintendo did more to establish their in-house properties on a level higher then the other console makers leading to them being more mascot-y than Sony could muster. And finally, because of rights issues, PSASBR didn't even have Crash OR Spyro their best Mascot contenders.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Beyond the reasons listed, I think Crash is also significant to people because he was the last real major platformer character that effectively emerged as the proverbial face of a company (although as noted, unofficially). Sony would have Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Dexter as its highlights in the 2000s, while various third parties would make their own attempts at having cartoony platformer mascots in that era from time to time.

But the the sixth generation on onward is often defined by other genres becoming significant, to the point where even Microsoft quickly realized that Master Chief was the face of the Xbox far more then Blinx. The PS2 itself was embodied by so many different iconic games in non-platformer genres that even if Crash hadn't ended up on non-Sony platforms he still likely would not have been the face of a Playstation console like it had been because that popular space was now so crowded.

So in that sense I understand why Crash essentially completes the collection in many people's minds; the last major figure that brings this ingrained competition and rivalry to its natural conclusion (and funnily enough would still represent three different console hardware makers):

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
All I will say on Crash is that, while I feel he is Mid moveset wise, he's also way more likely than Skylanders to ever get into Smash unfortunately, even if Swap-Force as a Concept would be amazing in Smash. Imagine essentially a 4-in-1 because you can swap the Tops and bottoms. Luckily for me Doom is more likely than both so we'll be good for a bit lol.
I'm still trying to figure out how to make Trap Team's gimmick work in Smash. Would it be like they have their own personal Assist Trophy that they can summon when the meter's full? But that could end up pretty broken...

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm still trying to figure out how to make Trap Team's gimmick work in Smash. Would it be like they have their own personal Assist Trophy that they can summon when the meter's full? But that could end up pretty broken...
I think a fun idea would be attacking your opponent to fill up a meter, and once it's full, you can temporarily transform into a stronger version of that character. It basically treats your opponent as the villain you're trying to capture, which I think is neat and is well along the lines of how I'd like to handle implementing game mechanics.

Either that, or we could do a Snap Shot / Wolfgang tag team or something.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What’s a character you think should’ve had a better selection of alts? For me, it’s:
Link
View attachment 379301
Color 1:
Champion's Tunic
(default)​
View attachment 379302
Color 2:
Hero of the Wild set​
View attachment 379308
Color 3:
Well-worn outfit​
View attachment 379307
Color 4:
Hero of Time set​
View attachment 379306
Color 5:
Royal Guard Set​
View attachment 379305
Color 6:
Hero of Twilight set​
View attachment 379303
Color 7:
Nintendo Switch T-shirt​
View attachment 379304
Color 8:
Dark set​

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What’s a character you think should’ve had a better selection of alts? For me, it’s:
I probably agree with Link but I’d personally prefer the alts to be for each of his incarnations in each game rather than just the Breath of the Wild outfits though that would be cool too. I’d love to see the same for both Zelda and Ganondorf as well.

Here are some other characters I feel have a bit of a missed opportunity for outfits:

K. Rool - alts for Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein as well as potentially his DK64 and Sluggers outfits
Samus - model swaps for suits rather than palate swaps
Shulk - alts for his different outfits in XB1 as well as his most recent appearance
Pikachu - I’d love to see the other outfits from ORAS
Metaknight - model swaps for Galactaknight, Dark Metaknight, and Morphoknight

Last edited:
Top Bottom