• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Part of me would like to see a customizable Villager for the next Smash. Basically a cross between them and a Mii that would allow you more overall control over their appearance.
As much as customization for Villager would be cool, it'd feel unfair if only Villager got customization and not any other characters who were also customizable, like Robin, Corrin, the Inklings, Steve and Alex.

Edit: Okay, which one of yas is responsible?

2nd Edit: Wait, I just got the achievement. Really? I've been a member for almost 10 years and this is the first time I've gotten pranked? I'm going to feel bad if my first pranked was a pity prank.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It's possible but I think merit and chance aren't always commensurate if the stable of characters poses potential setbacks. AC obv could claim several additional spots based on its size and success, but if the workability isn't there, the count might stagnate.

Not that I think you couldn't make Tom Nook unique (I thought you could make Isabelle unique), but I do notice how Sakurai seemed to waver adding one AC character, then made the second a semi-clone. If he doesn't envision something more, I question him adding another Villager derivative.

So personally I see another AC character simply as possible rather than adjacent to inevitable. Though not for a lack of status.
I think getting the first one was the big barrier; Sakurai has now demonstrated the ability to make several characters who don't usually fight into Smash fighters. Even if Sakurai didn't like the options for a particular character, there is enough clear depth and variance in the AC cast that it would absolutely floor me if he couldn't come up with something for any of Nook, Resetti, Slider, et al.

Also the decision to make the second AC rep a semiclone may have been influenced by Ult's limited newcomer slots. I don't think we have enough history of AC in Smash to seriously suspect that there would be trouble with a second unique AC moveset.
But besides that, if the likes of Star Fox can get multiple derivative movesets then I don't see why AC couldn't (not that I would consider that an optimal outcome, of course).

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Just a reminder that River City: Rival Showdown is out now, so anybody looking to experience a solid entry in the series and its characters can check it out. You can get a better idea for what kind of moveset Kunio and Riki would have if they were playable characters in Smash Bros.

Unfortunately, I've been pretty busy this week, so I haven't gotten myself yet but either this weekend or next week, I will.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just a reminder that River City: Rival Showdown is out now, so anybody looking to experience a solid entry in the series and its characters can check it out. You can get a better idea for what kind of moveset Kunio and Riki would have if they were playable characters in Smash Bros.

Unfortunately, I've been pretty busy this week, so I haven't gotten myself yet but either this weekend or next week, I will.
I’ll try to remember to take a look at it soon. I was on a bit of a Beat ‘em Up kick after playing Shredder’s Revenge a while back which led me to try Streets of Rage 4 and the Capcom Beat ‘em Up Colection. I also bought Scott Pilgrim at the time but haven’t had the chance to actually play that one yet. The River City Girls games look pretty fun from what I’ve seen too.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Recent rumors have it that Japan intends to sell Nintendo, and many see Microsoft as the top customer. But I know that Nintendo will not accept to be bought by anyone. And who among us Nintendo fans wants our beloved video game company to be acquired by any other company in general? None of us want that.
Is this based on that one article that came out recently? Because I'm pretty sure that was just an opinion piece.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This was not a great moment to see how this thread progressed.

Anyway, Donkey Kong. Yeah that's all. By now this is enough of a statement to reflect my current wants and desires in terms of gaming. So again, Donkey Kong.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anyway, Donkey Kong. Yeah that's all. By now this is enough of a statement to reflect my current wants and desires in terms of gaming. So again, Donkey Kong.
1697267124356.png

Because I got confused and accidentally double-entered it, I'd like someone to show me how to delete it, if that's possible of course, in case I make that mistake again. I edited to write this second message to put it simply about this exact error.
No way to delete your own posts. Just report yourself and ask a mod to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Maybe as an assist trophy or a moveset for a Taito rep.
if there is a character that can use space invaders as part of the moveset then its ufo-co from space invaders extreme 2 with rosalina and luma type of moveset i could imagine

and there are other character as well such groove coaster idols that can have space invaders in their moveset well

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If there were to be a Taito character, I think it has to be Bub. He and Bob are characters that:

-would actually work as fighters
-still come from one of Taito's most iconic franchises
-are frequently pushed as "mascots" by the company itself, to the point that it could be argued that they're the real company mascots

There's no better choice in my opinion

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If there were to be a Taito character, I think it has to be Bub. He and Bob are characters that:

-are frequently pushed as "mascots" by the company itself, to the point that it could be argued that they're the real company mascots

Certainly doesn't hurt that the overall series has also still remained active, with Puzzle Bobble Everybubble coming out exclusively for Switch just five months ago.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
My guess is that, if the AAA gaming industry does turn to being acquisition heavy like many people think Microsoft's shopping spree indicates, Nintendo will be buying other companies rather than being purchased by other companies. IIRC, Nintendo already owns stock in basically every major Japanese studio except Sega and Capcom for the purpose of easing collaborations between the companies.

Ideally, any companies purchased by Nintendo would still operate semi-independently of Nintendo, with Nintendo only stepping in and controlling the company when they're directly working together on an IP. If Nintendo bought Capcom, for example, most of their franchises would be developed in-house and multiplatform. However, if Nintendo opted to work with Capcom on a Mega Man or Ace Attorney game or whatever, they would control how the game turns out and which platforms it will be available on.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel like if anyone were to buy anyone else out it would be Bandai Namco.

They already did it a couple times with their anime division i wouldnt be surprised to see their gaming division do the same.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It feels like it would take a major business downturn for a particular prominent Japanese developer to be bought by another. Obvious acquisitions and mergers have happened (see Squaresoft joining with Enix and Konami getting Hudson Soft) but the overall marketplace strategy very often leans closer to partnerships and collaborations than outright buyouts.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If youve ever wanted to do a zelda Fighting GAme/ Smash Character here a template:
1697296735167.jpeg

It comes with a place for the character name, 2 Costumes (lets be honest 2 is the ideal number if you wanna do a side character)
A Section for the related Stage were you get one spot for the look/ Location and 1 for the stage layout!
a free form Moves and quirks section that way if you dont have enough ideas you can fill it with only some vague suggestions
A Section for the Characters Main Theme and a DLC Box!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

My opinion runs parallel to your opinion.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I feel like if anyone were to buy anyone else out it would be Bandai Namco.

They already did it a couple times with their anime division i wouldnt be surprised to see their gaming division do the same.
Bandai Namco would be the one company Nintendo would not risk losing if they risked getting bought by another company, since Bandai Namco has been a notable developer partner for Nintendo.
---
That aside, Super Mario Bros. Wonder has been leaked, so people not wishing to be spoiled need to be careful now.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Alright, confession guys, someone actually did buy Nintendo yesterday, and it wasn't Microsoft.

I know what you're thinking, "Wow, that's unrealistic, how can someone just buy Nintendo overnight?" but you know who else found it unrealistic? Nintendo. They saw the rumor that Japan intended to sell them to Microsoft and also went "Wow that's unrealistic, also highly illegal!". Unfortunately for them though, while the rumor was false, it was only false because the leaker mistook my personal brand "MicroZerp®" for "Microsoft". I'm pleased to announce that the government of Japan sold Nintendo to me for a massive sum of $20 USD. Nearly broke my bank account, but now I am Mr. Nintendo himself. My first action as owner will be to tease Smash characters by utilizing colored chairs in our directs, it's going to be great.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
This seems like a very poorly disguised scrimblo post.
Sorry for replying to this old post, but how does Simon Belmont can even qualify as a Scrimblo Bimblo? Unless you were talking about Konami Wai Wai World, or Kid Dracula (in that game there is not a single Belmont present)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm still happy to see Sora got amiibo support despite the fact it was considered a pipe dream. This shows anything is possible and sometimes even the unlikely happens.
id say this shows anything is possible when you’re owned by a company that’ll license anything

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i think they are the 2nd most likely option for taito and the reason being if they could not find a way to make space invaders playable then they would likely switch to bub & bob
in my opinion space invaders being the 1st pick likely due to being the grandfather video games and their most recognizable characters and being among the top 10 most video game grossing franchise that even rank higher than final fantasy moreover there is a lack of 2d spaceship shooter representation as much as FPS in fact the closest thing we got is boss galaga item however space invaders is what lead the creation of this to this entire game genre and it makes more sense than any other picks in regard to that genre

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
This shows anything is possible and sometimes even the unlikely happens.
Except for Non-Video game characters coming for the next Smash, Xenoblade Chronicles content in a future update of Fire Emblem Heroes, or the cartoony mascots in a hypothetical Project X Zone 3. All of them being a level ridiculously beyond the impossible or unlikely.
:roll:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Except for Non-Video game characters coming for the next Smash, Xenoblade Chronicles content in a future update of Fire Emblem Heroes, or the cartoony mascots in a hypothetical Project X Zone 3. All of them being a level ridiculously beyond the impossible or unlikely.
Are these truer still? I am unfamiliar.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why the hell would they ever put Xenoblade characters in FEH? Heroes doesn't do non-Fire Emblem crossovers.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Why the hell would they ever put Xenoblade characters in FEH? Heroes doesn't do non-Fire Emblem crossovers.
Even though I wish it did; for example, they had the perfect opportunity to do so with Dragalia Lost when that game feature FEH characters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry for replying to this old post, but how does Simon Belmont can even qualify as a Scrimblo Bimblo? Unless you were talking about Konami Wai Wai World, or Kid Dracula (in that game there is not a single Belmont present)
He isn't.

But being the one and only non scrimblo in the list was why I said it was "poorly disguised."

That aside... why ask this? It's years old and just seems like a strange attempt at a "gotcha."

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Perhaps to promote the newest game?
IDK, but this collab idea sounds a heck of a lot dumb. Let FEH be Fire Emblem-pure, and don't include outsiders. (Unless they are from other IS games like Advance Wars or Panel de Pon)

Ivander

Smash Legend
So I got something to pass the time. Supposedly, a survey was sent to Fortnite players asking them what they're familiar with and it includes just about what you can think of. Movies, anime, comics, brands, celebrities, television, etc. But it also includes video games and video game characters, including some Nintendo ones. Which ones do you recognise on these lists?
Regardless on whether the list is real or not, seeing Mystical Ninja lightens my heart. :cheep:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So I got something to pass the time. Supposedly, a survey was sent to Fortnite players asking them what they're familiar with and it includes just about what you can think of. Movies, anime, comics, brands, celebrities, television, etc. But it also includes video games and video game characters, including some Nintendo ones. Which ones do you recognise on these lists?
Regardless on whether the list is real or not, seeing Mystical Ninja lightens my heart. :cheep:
...why are GTA Vice City and GTAIV separate from GTA as a whole?

...why Pokemon Unite specifically, do they think it'll be slightly easier to have Mewtwo with a shotgun via contacting its devs somehow?

...if this is a survey for Fortnite players, why would they ask if they're familiar with Fortnite characters?

also
1697318227128.png

SPACEBALLS: THE FORTNITE SKIN

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, even if it IS real, Fortnite isn't getting any Nintendo stuff unless it's Nintendo-exclusive. So... yeah, don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Who the **** put Joe Rogan on there

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...why are GTA Vice City and GTAIV separate from GTA as a whole?

...why Pokemon Unite specifically, do they think it'll be slightly easier to have Mewtwo with a shotgun via contacting its devs somehow?

...if this is a survey for Fortnite players, why would they ask if they're familiar with Fortnite characters?

also
View attachment 379234
SPACEBALLS: THE FORTNITE SKIN
When it comes to online surveys like these, often times they add specific choices as like, "gotchas." So if someone is doing a Fortnite survey and says they don't know what Fortnite is, they know it was either someone mindlessly spamming, or a bot, and they can safely discard it.

Top Bottom