• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Makes you wonder where the Ninteninjas are at.
I think the reasoning is that because Pyoro is not explicitly revealing info and is just going, "This is happening." and "We're getting this.", instead of revealing actual leaks like gameplay footage or explicit details, the ninjas can't do much to them. All they can really do is look for who their source is.

Supposedly, Pyoro might be getting their source from a person who deals in Youtube content and are getting their details regarding Nintendo videos that are uploaded, but currently not open/released to the public or something similar to that. That's supposedly how they were able to get their previous leaks correctly.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the reasoning is that because Pyoro is not explicitly revealing info and is just going, "This is happening." and "We're getting this.", instead of revealing actual leaks like gameplay footage or explicit details, the ninjas can't do much to them. All they can really do is look for who their source is.

Supposedly, Pyoro might be getting their source from a person who deals in Youtube content and are getting their details regarding Nintendo videos that are uploaded, but currently not open/released to the public or something similar to that. That's supposedly how they were able to get their previous leaks correctly.
Oh, that is the case, huh? I get it now. Thanks for explaining.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now that you mention it... if someone could remind me, Hotel Dusk (Kyle Hyde's series) recently got a new game sometime ago, didn't it?

Well, maybe not RECENTLY, but I think Smash Ultimate was a character or two away (Kazuya and Sora or maybe JUST Sora) from wrapping up its development, wasn't it?

With this being the case, Another Code/Trace Memory getting SOMETHING wouldn't be THAT strange, would it?
Sadly no, I think you're mistaken.
Hotel Dusk and Last Window remain the only two games in the series, though in the early 2010s a lot of the old CING crew released a spiritual successor on the 3DS. Maybe you're getting your wires crossed with the FDC remakes?

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Profound sadness
Personally I think the mainline DK game is happening, but is probably happening for the next thing. So much of their DK plans are going to come to fruition during the tenure of the next system, and a DK game has evergreen potential, so at this point I don't think they're going to relegate it to a system with less than a year left in the spotlight. I just think it has more utility for them, based on their future plans, riding the wave of Switch 2.

And at this point it's only a matter of months until that marketing kicks off.

As for F-Zero, GX would line up with other claims that have been floating around, so hopefully it is more than F-Zero 99. However even if it is the latter, I'm, perhaps naively, not going to completely throw the towel in on the GX remaster.

So many spoilers! Isn't this leak culture diverting what this thread's about?
Not like there's breaking Smash news, soon enough we'll be back on the same cyclical stuff.

Plus some of this stuff materializing has the potential to shift opinion over certain characters' chances, especially in the case of dormant IP.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nah, Leak culture is like how Smash thrives and die. With real and fake leak.

Besides, it's direct season, and do we really want to go back arguing about "FE IS GOING TO GET EVERYONE CUT BU MARTH" to "I think this 3 super obscure characters are totally happening" because we basically discussed almost all possibilities in 752 pages.

And hey, who knows, maybe this direct will give us **** to talk about, like an IP announcement that could have a character interesting to talk about or whatnot.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sadly no, I think you're mistaken.
Hotel Dusk and Last Window remain the only two games in the series, though in the early 2010s a lot of the old CING crew released a spiritual successor on the 3DS. Maybe you're getting your wires crossed with the FDC remakes?
Really? I could swear Kyle got a new game within the last decade... 🤔

SPEN18

Smash Champion
That would be very disappointing if it's just F-Zero 99, but hey, at least it's something for F-Zero. It would be weird for the 99 series to go from like Pac-Man and Tetris to something like F-Zero, too. Maybe this is just drinkin the koolaid but maybe it's F-Zero 99 AND GX remake?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Nah, Leak culture is like how Smash thrives and die. With real and fake leak.

Besides, it's direct season, and do we really want to go back arguing about "FE IS GOING TO GET EVERYONE CUT BU MARTH" to "I think this 3 super obscure characters are totally happening" because we basically discussed almost all possibilities in 752 pages.

And hey, who knows, maybe this direct will give us **** to talk about, like an IP announcement that could have a character interesting to talk about or whatnot.
The joke will be on you when Glup ****to is the headliner for The Super Smash Bros. :4wario2:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I feel called out lol
Nah, lmao, it's just how it is, we all went through it because we have nothing to talk about.
Sad reality of waiting between smash games. They're the worst periods for me imo. At least my most wanted pick for 13 years is finally in the game so I don't have to pick up my "DISNEY LAWYERS AND COPYRIGHTS" bachelor degree ever again about how people don't know **** about the KH licences, and how some felt DISGUSTED to just imagine a small "Disney" on their title screen, or how "He has a mickey mouse keychain" made him impossible.

Idk how I would have done it for another game after Ultimate, went through this for three games since brawl.

So I welcome when there's news about new games, and a new console arriving next year. Means new generation and possibly new smash soon.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That would be very disappointing if it's just F-Zero 99, but hey, at least it's something for F-Zero. It would be weird for the 99 series to go from like Pac-Man and Tetris to something like F-Zero, too. Maybe this is just drinkin the koolaid but maybe it's F-Zero 99 AND GX remake?
99 player online races seems like something that'd have to happen in order for a new F-Zero to exist anyway, if the theory that Shigeru wants the series to all have tech demo aspects is true.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Why is your response to someone suggesting we stay on-topic to suggest that the actual topic of the thread is pointless?
Personally I think there's been a lot of substantive discussion in here over the last 750-odd pages.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why is your response to someone suggesting we stay on-topic to suggest that the actual topic of the thread is pointless?
Personally I think there's been a lot of substantive discussion in here over the last 750-odd pages.
Threads always derailed when it's Direct Seasons? That's all, nothing more, nothing else. It gives spice to discussion and even speculation especially when we hear possible new games coming.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Threads always derailed when it's Direct Seasons? That's all, nothing more, nothing else. It gives spice to discussion and even speculation especially when we hear possible new games coming.
Maybe say it like that the first time, then, please and thanks.

Noipoi

Howdy!
When a direct starts to rear its ugly head every thread on the site gets sidetracked.

Give it a few days, and then a few more days for a cooldown period. We'll be back to business soon enough.

Hell, maybe something in the direct could help us speculate on the next Smash :drshrug:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I'm still confident in a remake/remaster shadowdrop. I'm just not particularly interested in what the Pyoro claims seem to indicate it could be.

As for the thread's topic... I mean... **** it, right? It's the middle of the night, Smash cycle wise. This certainly isn't the least off-topic it's been. If you wanna talk about the leaks/Direct, go for it. If you wanna talk about Smash, go for it. That's my take.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
When a direct starts to rear its ugly head every thread on the site gets sidetracked.

Give it a few days, and then a few more days for a cooldown period. We'll be back to business soon enough.

Hell, maybe something in the direct could help us speculate on the next Smash :drshrug:
Flingsmash Remake gonna be announced. Zip the protag is in, let's go, next smash, headliner brb preparing the future thread for him.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think characters like Sidon, Raven Beak, Oatchi and the like have a chance this time a round? Since Smash generally doesn't tend to add characters like them, they usually go for more stablished characters.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Do you guys think characters like Sidon, Raven Beak, Oatchi and the like have a chance this time a round? Since Smash generally doesn't tend to add characters like them, they usually go for more stablished characters.
I think they all have an amazing shot as Assist Trophies

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Zelda getting a new character legit feels like a pipe-dream. I wish, and hope, but I feel it's issue (Probably going to be bonked for that) is that most of the Zelda characters people request, often are not memorable, or their screentime are very very low.
Right now, the only outlier of this is Sheik, but she was the alter-ego of the most recent Zelda back when she was added in Melee and became a mainstay.
Unless we get one character, who feels like...they can stand on their own, as simple as a new playable character in a mainline series, I think they'd have a chance, but right now. I feel that anything Zelda is going to get ASSIST'D. But I'd like to be wrong.

As for Metroid, same issue, took us THAT LONG to get one and half new character.

Good news being that the Switch seems to be the console whereNintendo woke up and remembered they had other licence than Mario, Zelda and Animal Crossing. So who knows, maybe?
Just that they doesn't strike me as characters SO ICONICS that I'd see them in smash. But again, I'd like to be proven wrong.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think Sidon does if they really want to add a Zelda newcomer but are intent on it being from the most recent game. That's not how Zelda usually goes but it's just been so long since a Zelda character they may change things up.

The other two not so much. Raven Beak is cool but I think the impetus to add a Metroid character will be quite low after adding two last time, and the character seems unlikely to recur, nor will be from the newest game at that point.

Oatchi seems more like something they'd add to a moveset or make an assist than be its own character, imo. I think a clone is likelier for Pikmin. Though the series also isn't at the size where it feels they'd prioritize another character for the sake of it. Especially if cuts are significant.

Ivander

Smash Legend
They have a chance. Will it happen? Who knows...only the one who has chosen the characters does. As for my thoughts:
  • Sidon would be cool to see. Even though he'd be fighting with both a bunch of fan favorites like Midna and Skull Kid, and other characters from the same games like BotW/TotK Zelda, Yunobo, Riju, Tulin and Mineru. But I certainly think he'd be cool if he got in.
  • Absolutely want Raven Beak for the next Smash. Kickass design, alot of moveset potential, is a Chozo who is one of the most important races in Metroid lore and also adds another villain to the roster.
  • Don't know much about Oatchi right now, so I can't give any detailed opinions. But I'm not against another Pikmin character and one that looks like it could bring alot of uniqueness to Smash. And I want to see the epic battle between Oatchi and Poochy.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Basically I'm fine leaving it to the mods to determine how much stretching of the topic gets allowed.

Anyway, moving on

I like Raven Beak but he needs some real sci-fi rule-bending to return, given, you know...
Personally I'm not against characters just for being one-offs (though appearing in more games is obviously helpful). But unfortunately it is a disadvantage in terms of likelihood.

For Zelda I hope for Skull Kid and Impa the most. With BotW/TotK idk who they would pick at this point, though I am still down for Mipha or Urbosa. I see the appeal for Sidon, too, being very popular and able to represent both games, though he is only moderately important in either one.

A second Pikmin rep is possible but it could come down to a numbers game and idk if it would be given high priority. Could make it into the backend of the newcomers if we get a healthy number of them. Personally I wouldn't mind a second rep since the series has 4 successful mainline games now plus some spinoff stuff, though admittedly there's other stuff I'd like more.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No. It's part of Smash Speculation.

Unless they're actually against the rules now(I forget how leaks are handled properly). That said, they're always spoiler-marked quite well, even moreso via folders, so it's not like it detracts from anything. It's just another conversation. Usually the only issue that happens is a few toxic conversations, but they're somewhat rare nowadays~

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Whichever reply Pyoro likes (not counting obvious joke replies like “Me”) is the direct closer… I doubt a Sora amiibo would close it out especially if there is a supposed Smash Ultimate update with it

please be Xenoblade X please be Xenoblade X

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I think the answer to this depends on what sort of a game the next Smash ends up being.

If it ends up being some big reboot or a culling of some sort, I don't think it'd be logical. Zelda and Metroid are already arguably reasonably represented with a Link, a Zelda, and a Ganon(dorf) coupled with Samus and Ridley, and I feel like a second Pikmin character is unlikely in that sort of environment unless they were either an Olimar echo or a more reoccuring force throughout the series of some sort, like maybe a creature.

If it's some sort of "Ultimate Deluxe" or otherwise sort of continues onward without drastically reducing the scope of the roster, I'd say they're all possible - but at the same time, reasonably easily negotiable third-party inclusions would make a lot more sense in terms of marketing, given you're likely to turn more heads with characters like Arle, Phoenix Wright or Alucard compared to first-party picks that by their nature are a little more insular to the Nintendo side of things.

I do think it's likely that they'll be represented in the future - it'd be outright stupid not to include them as collectables, whether they end up being Spirits, Trophies or something else, and there's always the possibility for something more like an Assist Trophy role - but given what Smash itself has morphed into, I don't really think that side characters from Nintendo series are as much on the radar compared to more promotional picks and ones that help with "hype culture"... and given, no offence, but it's kind of unlikely we'll see a Ridley/K.Rool/Banjo/Geno-esque outcry for a lot of these kinds of characters (the closest that springs to mind being maybe Bandanna Waddle Dee?), it's unlikely that they'd work as "hype" picks that'd really advertise a new Smash game.

I'll admit I have no grounds for any of this and I'd honestly love to see any of the three join - I just don't know if Smash is the kind of series that'd have a place for characters like them going forward.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Whichever reply Pyoro likes (not counting obvious joke replies like “Me”) is the direct closer… I doubt a Sora amiibo would close it out especially if there is a supposed Smash Ultimate update with it

please be Xenoblade X please be Xenoblade X
The leaks seem to be suggesting Geno

Tho i personally would prefer , Raven Beak.
Smash Ultimate update? Geno?

Did I just dream it not being 2020 anymore?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE II: The Quest for More Money will be one of the games featured in the direct :v
If the quest is for more money, TMS II is the wrong way to go about it. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's a few things that will make a Direct awesome for me;

-GBA support for the Zelda Oracle games(since they're very pointless ports if you can't 100% them. It'd have been fine if you removed the GBA coding entirely in return for being GBC only otherwise).
-Any Quest 64 related content. No, it's not realistic.
-A new F-Zero and/or Golden Sun game..
-Sora amiibo(which is highly likely anyway).
-Any new Donkey Kong Country game(or a game among the DK regular stuff. I find it funny that DK has two mainline series, while Mario only has one named after it. Albeit, DKArcade is a mainline Mario and DK series, but it's still funny).

All I can really think of.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I didn't even consider this, but its makes too much sense with how Pyoro has approached hinting this info.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I hope the japanese version of the dirct reveals the next Robot wars title.

It wouldnt be in the american direct because the last game wasnt showd off in the american direct it was revealed in.

Top Bottom