• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Actually coming back to this because it's a thought I literally just had even if it's kind of unrelated to this specific thread but it was STARING ME IN THE FACE:

Waluigi Pinball!
Decent idea for a game, but probably won't help much with giving Waluigi his own Smash moveset.

Whereas if they go the Wrecking Crew route, he'd end up with a sledgehammer and various demolition charges, etc.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
How did KT have a big hand in it? Yes, they helped develop for TH. But Byleth is 100% owned by Nintendo and Nintendo decided the pass. Any consulting done with KT or any granting of requests made by KT would have been purely optional.

Also it should not be left unsaid that Nintendo does not owe any content in Smash to these other companies. The third party characters are business deals worked out like any other business deals they'd do with the other companies, not thank you cards for helping out or being nice in the past.

In any case we can be assured that Byleth did not preclude an actual KT rep from showing up in the DLC.
Iirc since they made the cutscenes for Three houses Sakurai asked them to make the Byleth trailer (similar to Monolith soft making the Pyra/Mythra trailer).

But yeah, calling Byleth a Koei-Tecmo character is a huge stretch, let alone "having a big hand in getting Byleth in the game". I highly doubt it was their idea at all to have Byleth in the game, let alone that they have anything to do with some sort of negotiation to get the character in the game.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I kind of agree with Shantae but not with Shovel knight. The game sold 2.65 millions copies as of 2019, which is huge for indie game standard (in comparaison Shantae whole franchise sold 3 millions). Shovel knight also has a huge influence the indie game scene, being the game that popularise the retro inspired platformer such as Celeste, Owlboy and Katana zero for example. Besides, the character became pretty much the face of indie game, making cameo and appearances in many other games like Yooka-Laylee, Katana zero, Blaster master, Rivals of Aether, Bloodstained, Azure striker, Crypt of the necrodancer, Enter the gungeon, Brawlhalla and more.

I feel like they would go with more modern design for the base alts. Personally for Scorpion I'd go with 11 design and Sub-zero either 9 or X design. But maybe we could have 4 alts based on a more modern take and 4 more classic, so you could have a classic yellow, blue, green and red to represent some other ninjas.
i would argue touhou is the face of indie games due to 20+ years of history and so much games and it was inspiration to many indies devs that came down the line and also because shovel knight doesnt have the worldwide appeal such the japanese community and he relied in general on crossover mostly and didnt grow much as an IP

StormC

Smash Hero
I have been keeping my eye on any sort of Pyoro posts, and a part of me is really wondering if they are going to make any sort of hint than can be connected to Smash. I really doubt it, but I can only imagine the reaction that would cause, especially if they link the hint to the whole Amiibo speculation. Some of the things they have been predicting are already causing some major doubt even with their track record, so imagine if they bring up Smash.
What are they predicting that people are doubting?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What are they predicting that people are doubting?
I can understand people doubting it.
They has given hints that slyly hint at F-Zero and pretty obviously at something Donkey Kong related. For the former especially people just don't have hope for it to return, so even someone with as clean of a history as Pyoro is getting doubted. Makes sense, as getting hopeful only for the leak to be wrong would be crushing, and even credible leakers eventually falter. Still, I think there is an opening for F-Zero now that the MK8 DLC is getting close to finishing.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They has given hints that slyly hint at F-Zero and pretty obviously at something Donkey Kong related. For the former especially people just don't have hope for it to return, so even someone with as clean of a history as Pyoro is getting doubted. Makes sense, as getting hopeful only for the leak to be wrong would be crushing, and even credible leakers eventually falter. Still, I think there is an opening for F-Zero now that the MK8 DLC is getting close to finishing.
F-ZERO has already been leaked for a while. Pyoro just put a hammer on the nail that the rumors were true. Apparently, not a new-game, but a GX-remake with new content.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
F-ZERO has already been leaked for a while. Pyoro just put a hammer on the nail that the rumors were true. Apparently, not a new-game, but a GX-remake with new content.
Huh, I did not know that one. I do recall plenty of DK rumors though, so I guess he has confirmed those as well. I'm curious, has there been any rumors in relation to Pac-Man, as his latest comment is a reminder of Pac-Man 99 discontinuing in one month.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Huh, I did not know that one. I do recall plenty of DK rumors though, so I guess he has confirmed those as well. I'm curious, has there been any rumors in relation to Pac-Man, as his latest comment is a reminder of Pac-Man 99 discontinuing in one month.
Basically, Nintendo is sitting on games already done to prepare for the transition between Switch to whatever is next. And not leave the switch "empty" while they prepare the field for what's next.
A while ago, what was leaked is some games / brand happening. Some where revealed (like the SMRPG remake) or Prime Remaster being sat on for like a years. Fire Emblem Engage was one of them too. Nowadays, we know that something DK is happening, something F-Zero (which seems to be a GX remake?), apparently a Paper mario remaster/remake and even something Zelda. Oh, and Nintendo is sitting on Fire Emblem 4 Remake for no reasons too lmao. Game's done, it's just a question of when they release it.
Pyoro seems to imply in his previous tweet that they're going to announce a new 99 games, now what will it be? Who knows.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Basically, Nintendo is sitting on games already done to prepare for the transition between Switch to whatever is next. And not leave the switch "empty" while they prepare the field for what's next.
A while ago, what was leaked is some games / brand happening. Some where revealed (like the SMRPG remake) or Prime Remaster being sat on for like a years. Fire Emblem Engage was one of them too. Nowadays, we know that something DK is happening, something F-Zero (which seems to be a GX remake?), apparently a Paper mario remaster/remake and even something Zelda. Oh, and Nintendo is sitting on Fire Emblem 4 Remake for no reasons too lmao. Game's done, it's just a question of when they release it.
Pyoro seems to imply in his previous tweet that they're going to announce a new 99 games, now what will it be? Who knows.
I knew about the possibility of them sitting on Zelda ports (I watch a lets player who has been waiting on them for his channel), but I did not know it was to that extent. A interesting strategy from Nintendo, if a bit frustrating from a fan perspective.
A new 99 game does make sense, though I haven't a clue on what it could be. Probably something from the arcades if it is to replace Pac-Man.

Ivander

Smash Legend
This I'l admit I'm curious since while I don't play Tetris 99, I did enjoy Super Mario Bros. 35 and do enjoy Pac-Man 99, even if later, it'll be the AI to face against. After Pac-Man 99, I felt there was alot of missed potential with SMB 35 and with it being around for only a short time.

So after Tetris, Super Mario Bros and Pac-Man, I'm curious on what the next series they'll make a 99 game for.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I knew about the possibility of them sitting on Zelda ports (I watch a lets player who has been waiting on them for his channel), but I did not know it was to that extent. A interesting strategy from Nintendo, if a bit frustrating from a fan perspective.
A new 99 game does make sense, though I haven't a clue on what it could be. Probably something from the arcades if it is to replace Pac-Man.
I mean...
It can be frustrating, but it's a great strategy. You get a ""smaller"" team to do remake/remasters of games that people want, while a main team or people can focus more on new experience for the new consoles, Since the 3Ds failed launch, I think Nintendo don't ever want to pull out a console without a console seller.
So teams do remasters, others still do some main games for the switch. Spread the release of those games as much as you can to earn time and give the switch the lifetime it needs
And meanwhile you earn time by preparing bigger experience for whatever's next.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Maybe stuff from AX, idk i never saw the arcade cabinet for that version of the game so i dont know if there is anything actually different

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So things don't get conflated: I don't think pyoro ever said it was a GX remake, only that it wasn't the GBA game coming to NSO. So even if pyoro's leak about F-Zero is true, the other rumors about it being GX could be false.

Also the Zelda ports and FE remake have been in the rumor mill for so long, but really both of those things could be very easily guessed. I wouldn't be giving anybody many credibility points for getting those right. FE4 remake seems practically guaranteed at some point, and Zelda ports are also very logical, low-risk guesses nonetheless.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So things don't get conflated: I don't think pyoro ever said it was a GX remake, only that it wasn't the GBA game coming to NSO. So even if pyoro's leak about F-Zero is true, the other rumors about it being GX could be false.

Also the Zelda ports and FE remake have been in the rumor mill for so long, but really both of those things could be very easily guessed. I wouldn't be giving anybody many credibility points for getting those right. FE4 remake seems practically guaranteed at some point, and Zelda ports are also very logical, low-risk guesses nonetheless.
It's only "logical" because lots of people leak that they're happening, but we don't know the when.
What's important is someone leaking WHEN it's happening, and so far it seems Pyoro is the only one who can do that with his mean (supposedly PR/X/Youtube or whatnot.

About the GX remake, it's a long rumour that has been floating around, apparently it was something that was supposed to be announced last year. But for all you know we could be getting F-ZERO 99 or DK 99 or ****ing Animal Crossing 99

If Pyoro leak that we getting FE this direct, then we'll know it's the FE4 remake.

Ivander

Smash Legend
About the GX remake, it's a long rumour that has been floating around, apparently it was something that was supposed to be announced last year. But for all you know we could be getting F-ZERO 99 or DK 99 or ****ing Animal Crossing 99
Donkey Kong 99 is definitely a real possibility. Assuming a new 99 title happens, I would not be surprised at all if that were the Donkey Kong title.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Just to be clear, when people are saying Donkey Kong 99, are they referring to a similar sort of conversion taking place to the original arcade game akin to something like Tetris 99, Mario 35 and so forth? Because like if that's the case that sounds awesome as hell I just wanna make sure I'm on the same page

StormC

Smash Hero
F-Zero GX remaster has been rumored for a while now by other reputable leakers, so I don't see it as some crazy guess.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It's only "logical" because lots of people leak that they're happening, but we don't know the when.
What's important is someone leaking WHEN it's happening
But who with credibility has leaked a "when" for the Zelda ports and/or FE4 remake? Also, no, both those things are logical enough to guess without anybody leaking it, particularly FE4 remake. Unless they've gotten something substantial correct in the past, in which case they have more on the line if they're wrong, I wouldn't even put much stock into it if they said this Direct in particular.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh, no rush. Though, I am especially curious about the retros and you giving Mona a chance. Not that I'm bothered by any of that. Heck, in Mona's case, it's nice to see someone give her a chance rather than only consider Ashley as the ONLY other option after Wario himself.
Sheriff I think makes sense because Sakurai is clearly drawn to characters with a long history (Mr. Game and Watch, Pit) and he's had Sheriff as a trophy since Melee. The upgrade to Assist Trophy is a big deal, too, and shows that Sakurai continues to see the character as interesting and important.

Sakurai considered Excite Biker back when he was looking at NES characters for Melee, and his comment, something along the likes of "he wouldn't work because he would need ramps in the stage to jump! That's not actually the reason. ;)" Give me the impression that he more seriously considered Excite Biker and how he would work in Smash, and decided against it for some reason. Maybe just that he thought the tag team concept of ICs was more interesting.

Balloon Fighter was also considered in Melee when Sakurai looked at NES characters, and his reasoning was that he wouldn't be able to do anything without his balloons. Since then, we've had Olimar, who can barely do anything without Pikmin, and Rosalina, who is significantly worse without Luma. It seems like Sakurai has gotten more creative and more willing to consider a character with such a polarizing advantage/disadvantage state (Little Mac) since then and might be intrigued enough by the concept to take a crack at it again.

Takamaru is easily the most notable of the characters that are nearly Japan-only, and Sakurai seems to like the character, but has viewed the series as too obscure outside of Japan to include. Now that The Mysterious Murasame Castle has finally released in the West, maybe he's willing to reconsider. I don't think it's likely, though, and think the other three have better chances.

As for Mona, I actually just think she's more important to and representative of Warioware than Ashley is in the series. It's just that Ashley is more popular. If Ashley wasn't an extremely popular character and request, Mona would be a no-brainer. Since Ashley is so popular, it's a toss-up, imo.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Donkey Kong 99 is definitely a real possibility. Assuming a new 99 title happens, I would not be surprised at all if that were the Donkey Kong title.
That honestly might be the worst case scenario for me; even beyond the lack of a new mainline DK game, I don't really think the arcade Donkey Kong really lends itself to a 99 style game as easily as SMB.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
According to Pyoro

The DK game would be a Mario vs Donkey kong game
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Also he's been liking a bunch of tweet about F-zero 99 BW5aqYm.jpeg

There's also remakes of DS and Wii games. Make your bet.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
According to Pyoro

Also he's been liking a bunch of tweet about F-zero 99 View attachment 377466

10 years without a new mainline Donkey Kong and we get Mario vs DK.

Well every franchise must have its Federation Force fan reception moment I suppose.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
According to Pyoro

Okay, hear me out: the Wii remake is either The Last Story or Pandora's Tower. C'mon guys, lets have that Operation Rainfall reunion!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
More info from Pyoro

The DS remakes is not DK related (people were speculating that it could be a remake of some Mario vs Donkey kong
Both remakes are related in some way? Could mean same franchise, maybe it's a compilation?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
According to Pyoro

I think the F-Zero 99 is a joke. I hope at least, I really want GX remastered

and I’m gonna go on a limb and say the DS and Wii remakes are of Atlus’s Trauma Center series. The fact they’re mentioned in the same post makes me think it’s the same IP.
A trauma center/Team collection would be amazing 🙏

Ivander

Smash Legend
So…the new F-Zero is only another 99 game?

And the new DK is just another Mario vs Donkey Kong game?

…Yep, people are not gonna like this…
I can understand Mario vs Donkey Kong, but F-Zero 99 sounds like a legitimately cool concept. And it has the mechanics and gameplay to pull off a Battle Royale-like game. Regardless, best to see what happens first before really talking about it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the F-Zero 99 is a joke. I hope at least, I really want GX remastered

and I’m gonna go on a limb and say the DS and Wii remakes are of Atlus’s Trauma Center series. The fact they’re mentioned in the same post makes me think it’s the same IP.
A trauma center/Team collection would be amazing 🙏
Slight update: they confirmed the DS and Wii game are related, and the DS and Wii games are not DK games. PLEASE BE TRAUMA CENTER

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
According to Pyoro

Profound sadness

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sheriff I think makes sense because Sakurai is clearly drawn to characters with a long history (Mr. Game and Watch, Pit) and he's had Sheriff as a trophy since Melee. The upgrade to Assist Trophy is a big deal, too, and shows that Sakurai continues to see the character as interesting and important.

Sakurai considered Excite Biker back when he was looking at NES characters for Melee, and his comment, something along the likes of "he wouldn't work because he would need ramps in the stage to jump! That's not actually the reason. ;)" Give me the impression that he more seriously considered Excite Biker and how he would work in Smash, and decided against it for some reason. Maybe just that he thought the tag team concept of ICs was more interesting.

Balloon Fighter was also considered in Melee when Sakurai looked at NES characters, and his reasoning was that he wouldn't be able to do anything without his balloons. Since then, we've had Olimar, who can barely do anything without Pikmin, and Rosalina, who is significantly worse without Luma. It seems like Sakurai has gotten more creative and more willing to consider a character with such a polarizing advantage/disadvantage state (Little Mac) since then and might be intrigued enough by the concept to take a crack at it again.

Takamaru is easily the most notable of the characters that are nearly Japan-only, and Sakurai seems to like the character, but has viewed the series as too obscure outside of Japan to include. Now that The Mysterious Murasame Castle has finally released in the West, maybe he's willing to reconsider. I don't think it's likely, though, and think the other three have better chances.

As for Mona, I actually just think she's more important to and representative of Warioware than Ashley is in the series. It's just that Ashley is more popular. If Ashley wasn't an extremely popular character and request, Mona would be a no-brainer. Since Ashley is so popular, it's a toss-up, imo.
Interesting! If you don't mind me asking, will you ever give your reasons as to why you consider the rest of that roster? If you feel like it'll take some time to write up, you don't have to rush it out or anything. Or if you just don't want to, that's fine too.

If you do decide to, do you think you could maybe copy-and-paste everything you've typed in this post (about Mona and the retros), so it'll be easier to keep track of everything?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Gonna make a hail mary bet and say the DS and Wii games are remakes of the Trace Memory/Another Code games.
Now that you mention it... if someone could remind me, Hotel Dusk (Kyle Hyde's series) recently got a new game sometime ago, didn't it?

Well, maybe not RECENTLY, but I think Smash Ultimate was a character or two away (Kazuya and Sora or maybe JUST Sora) from wrapping up its development, wasn't it?

With this being the case, Another Code/Trace Memory getting SOMETHING wouldn't be THAT strange, would it?

Ivander

Smash Legend
So many spoilers! Isn't this leak culture diverting what this thread's about?
I mean, it could be us just looking at the possible opportunities for speculation. Like hoping for a game for a series to exist so that we can start including them more seriously in speculation, like how we speculate Metroid Dread content for the next Smash Bros. alot because of it being both a brand new Metroid game after a long time and a very successful game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom