• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think the answer to this depends on what sort of a game the next Smash ends up being.

If it ends up being some big reboot or a culling of some sort, I don't think it'd be logical. Zelda and Metroid are already arguably reasonably represented with a Link, a Zelda, and a Ganon(dorf) coupled with Samus and Ridley, and I feel like a second Pikmin character is unlikely in that sort of environment unless they were either an Olimar echo or a more reoccuring force throughout the series of some sort, like maybe a creature.

If it's some sort of "Ultimate Deluxe" or otherwise sort of continues onward without drastically reducing the scope of the roster, I'd say they're all possible - but at the same time, reasonably easily negotiable third-party inclusions would make a lot more sense in terms of marketing, given you're likely to turn more heads with characters like Arle, Phoenix Wright or Alucard compared to first-party picks that by their nature are a little more insular to the Nintendo side of things.

I do think it's likely that they'll be represented in the future - it'd be outright stupid not to include them as collectables, whether they end up being Spirits, Trophies or something else, and there's always the possibility for something more like an Assist Trophy role - but given what Smash itself has morphed into, I don't really think that side characters from Nintendo series are as much on the radar compared to more promotional picks and ones that help with "hype culture"... and given, no offence, but it's kind of unlikely we'll see a Ridley/K.Rool/Banjo/Geno-esque outcry for a lot of these kinds of characters (the closest that springs to mind being maybe Bandanna Waddle Dee?), it's unlikely that they'd work as "hype" picks that'd really advertise a new Smash game.

I'll admit I have no grounds for any of this and I'd honestly love to see any of the three join - I just don't know if Smash is the kind of series that'd have a place for characters like them going forward.
I think characters like Arle or Phoenix Wright are more likely to be DLC, characters like Sidon, Oatchi or Raven Beak would be base game characters, obviously.
I think DLC and Base Game characters inclusions are "diferent" in a way.
Base Game inclusions are more nintendo-centric and allow for more niche inclusions in the roster.
DLC inclusions are more thrid party centric and tend to be bigger inclusions and the nintendo inclusions tend to be characters from succeful nintendo games that missed the base roster.
Like i don't think they'll add Sidon, Raven Beak or Oatchi as DLC, but as base game they seem fine additions to me.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Will they make a new game from the Star Fox series? I ask because it seems to me as you have noticed of course that they haven't even mentioned a new Star Fox game since Star Fox 2 came out years ago.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I hope the japanese version of the dirct reveals the next Robot wars title.

It wouldnt be in the american direct because the last game wasnt showd off in the american direct it was revealed in.
In this vein I hope we can see the localization of that Goemon-like Good-feel is making.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Will they make a new game from the Star Fox series? I ask because it seems to me as you have noticed of course that they haven't even mentioned a new Star Fox game since Star Fox 2 came out years ago.
Assuming that rumor about Star Fox getting a movie is true, I doubt Star Fox games are done. Also helps that Star Fox appears to be a favorite among some of the Nintendo higher-ups.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Eventually, sure. As long as Miyamoto is there I think they'll keep trying.

But I don't think it's imminent, and I would be rather disheartened if they simply try to put out another rail-shooter with some new gimmick upon their next attempt, because Star Fox desperately needs to evolve further than that to have a chance these days.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So apparently pyoro has been liking tweets relating to guessing that the DS and Wii remakes are related to Another Code, so we may be getting an Another Code/Trace Memory duology remake.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
please Nintendo give us a continuation of the story from Command

expectations are very low on that end, though, especially given the mess that they just created with the Pikmin continuity

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

expectations are very low on that end, though, especially given the mess that they just created with the Pikmin continuity
I mean, Command had very weird decisions. Ones fans weren't exactly that fond of. It's not exactly the best way to continue. Though remaking it but better(including less stupidity in the dialogue) might help, but I feel like making a new sequel to Assault could be a better option.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

didn't they already do that with the multiple endings?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Eventually, sure. As long as Miyamoto is there I think they'll keep trying.

But I don't think it's imminent, and I would be rather disheartened if they simply try to put out another rail-shooter with some new gimmick upon their next attempt, because Star Fox desperately needs to evolve further than that to have a chance these days.
They do need to move on instead of re-doing Star Fox 64's story again, but I don't exactly see them not doing a gimmick again, especially if the currant Switch 2 rumors are true.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Would you be ok with mobile characters joining Smash Bros? Like Granblue Fantasy, Angry Birds...

dream1ng

Smash Champion
They do need to move on instead of re-doing Star Fox 64's story again, but I don't exactly see them not doing a gimmick again, especially if the currant Switch 2 rumors are true.
I don't see what about the current Switch 2 rumors would indicate a gimmick, from my understanding it's mostly been related to upgraded specs rather than some novel hardware element a la motion controls or a second screen.

Someone could interpret any new direction as a gimmick I suppose, but I more refer to elaborating upon the fundamental gameplay with additional layers brought by weaving in, probably, a new genre on top of the core Star Fox gameplay, on which further games can be cultivated. Not, like, a one-off oddity correlated to the system itself with the two potentially being difficult to extricate from each other.

Unfortunately for a series like Star Fox, where it always seems to discard most of what it did novel last time (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse) and try something different yet again, seemingly any new element could be seen as a gimmick, given there's a good chance it won't stick around.

But then it would be hard to distinguish moving past the rail-shooting with having a gimmick, and I do see the two as different. Though I guess that is somewhat contingent on if they actually stick to what they've elaborated with, or after the game, simply revert back again. And that is probably dependent on the success of the title.

enjoy
I always wondered how videos like this kept getting views.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Would you be ok with mobile characters joining Smash Bros? Like Granblue Fantasy, Angry Birds...
I think that there's nothing stopping them from happening like, as a principle, but it's notable how a lot of them have lopsided popularity on a worldwide scale, tipping heavily to either Japan or the West depending on the game.

Something like Granblue or Arknights are two from the JP side that have a good following overseas (plus FGO but Fate goes beyond just mobile so your mileage may vary), but I'm also not as sure how the popular Western mobile IPs do in Japan (like Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, etc).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was slightly interested with the pitch Dragalia Lost characters back during Ultimate speculation, though I don't image the chances for that are great now that it is discontinued,
yeah it would have been nice but I recall a lot of people wanted it dead cause it was gatcha

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sure. I'm not against mobile characters joining. Heck, Fire Emblem Heroes has some interesting characters that I think would be cool to see in Smash Bros.
I don't see what about the current Switch 2 rumors would indicate a gimmick, from my understanding it's mostly been related to upgraded specs rather than some novel hardware element a la motion controls or a second screen.
I was talking about the rumors about the Switch 2 having a camera and possibly having AR, similar to the 3DS AR cards, and VR. And Star Fox Zero did have a focus on the Wii U gamepad having you look and play from the inside of the vehicle you were using and whatnot.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think that there's nothing stopping them from happening like, as a principle, but it's notable how a lot of them have lopsided popularity on a worldwide scale, tipping heavily to either Japan or the West depending on the game.

Something like Granblue or Arknights are two from the JP side that have a good following overseas (plus FGO but Fate goes beyond just mobile so your mileage may vary), but I'm also not as sure how the popular Western mobile IPs do in Japan (like Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, etc).
I think Granblue would be a good pick as it's also getting a console game and has the fighting game.
Otherwise. yeah, it seems like they tip too heavily in either Japan or the West.
Arknights is popular overseas? i didnt know that.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Granblue would be a good pick as it's also getting a console game and has the fighting game.
Otherwise. yeah, it seems like they tip too heavily in either Japan or the West.
Arknights is popular overseas? i didnt know that.
In the sense that like, I see it talked about roughly the same amount as Granblue and FGO lol.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Rick Wheeler (Ryu Suzaku his real name) is the character that only in the English version of the F-Zero: GP Legend anime series was considered the main character, while in the Japanese version he was Captain Falcon of course, but the thing is that Rick Wheeler debuted in the anime series F-Zero: GP Legend and then appeared in the game version of the anime as well as the next and final game in the Japan-only F-Zero video game series F-Zero Climax. Based on that I wonder IF they ever make new F-Zero games, will they still put Rick Wheeler in? Besides, in the last episode of the anime he had become the new Captain Falcon, although this again does not tell us anything.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I was talking about the rumors about the Switch 2 having a camera and possibly having AR, similar to the 3DS AR cards, and VR.
Well a camera seems plausible. The rest is speculative. And that rumor seems one of many about the Switch 2, frankly. It's a little less sound than the reports of out Gamescom, imo. Though even if it comes to pass, games that have a strong gameplay concept often aren't deferential to their system's gimmicks and, if anything, offer them in a tacked on sense whereby they aren't essential to its design.

If Star Fox can come up with a fundamental evolution for itself, it need not be the sort of game devised from the ground up around that system's gimmick, seemingly like Zero, and offers them in the more superfluous sense to fit the system's ethos, where they can be discarded fairly easily in future ports. As, tbh, the majority seem to be.

So yes, some gimmick might be present. But if it just uses the gimmick at some point and isn't shaped around it, presumably its identity will be that evolution in a direction that hopefully fits, clicks, and moves the franchise forward.

Uprising had AR functionality, but the game itself was progressing the IP forward in a way a sequel wouldn't need AR. Or 3D. Or a touch screen. Or even a second screen. That is akin to what I would hope for Star Fox. A game that can have gimmicks, but an evolution not defined or beholden to them.

And Star Fox Zero did have a focus on the Wii U gamepad having you look and play from the inside of the vehicle you were using and whatnot.
It sure did.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Rick Wheeler (Ryu Suzaku his real name) is the character that only in the English version of the F-Zero: GP Legend anime series was considered the main character, while in the Japanese version he was Captain Falcon of course, but the thing is that Rick Wheeler debuted in the anime series F-Zero: GP Legend and then appeared in the game version of the anime as well as the next and final game in the Japan-only F-Zero video game series F-Zero Climax. Based on that I wonder IF they ever make new F-Zero games, will they still put Rick Wheeler in? Besides, in the last episode of the anime he had become the new Captain Falcon, although this again does not tell us anything.
I'm pretty sure he WAS Captain falcon in the last game they made for the brand.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, the next Nintendo Direct...when do you all think it will be announced? Place your bets.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I mean, Command had very weird decisions. Ones fans weren't exactly that fond of. It's not exactly the best way to continue. Though remaking it but better(including less stupidity in the dialogue) might help, but I feel like making a new sequel to Assault could be a better option.
didn't they already do that with the multiple endings?
It is kind of a mess with the multiple endings. But Command has interesting threads from which they could logically progress the story, namely Dash revitalizing Venom and being set up as the next big villain; and Krystal having relationship problems with Fox to the point of getting involved with Star Wolf.

I don't really want a complete retcon of those threads, especially the Krystal and Star Wolf stuff which I think could be an interesting basis for a new story. I think the best way to proceed is to just go from the default "The Anglar Emperor" ending, possibly also incorporating elements from some of the other more reasonable endings like "Fox and Krystal" or "Dash Makes a Choice."

In short, yes there are a lot of endings but most of them are just plain silly and the general threads of Command are still workable into a coherent canon without having to go and pretend the game never happened.

I guess I also wouldn't mind essentially retelling the Command story, like technically retconning it but making a fresh version of those same plotpoints, though with less nonsense/silliness and more overall coherence. There was also that one idea of starting the next game in the middle of the events of Command with the same general plotpoints.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never played it isn't that the wiiU game?
The other GameCube game. Sequel to Adventures since Krystal's in it.

It doesn't completely focus on rail shooting, but does have some along with lots of third-person shooting. And has a lot of playable characters for multiplayer at least.

Top Bottom