• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do you guys think about the possibility of Tales of Arise getting a character in the next game? I know Lloyd has historically been the popular request as far as Tales characters go but I feel like Arise is similar to Persona 5 in terms of propelling the series into mainstream popularity.

I’ve been a Tales fan since Symphonia and I’m loving Arise so far. I think this is my overall favorite cast from a Tales game as well. I think any of its characters could make for great Smash characters but I’d particularly love to see Shionne. She’s my favorite character in the game and would be really unique in terms of moveset for Smash.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
E-mail interview from the Verge with Sakurai on his current break and thoughts on the future of Smash

Masahiro Sakurai on the future of Smash: ‘I’ve been doing too much of the work myself’
The series creator on his newfound free time and where the franchise goes from here

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is finally complete. After launching in 2018 with a roster that included every single character from the series’ long history, it has since been steadily updated with new fighters, culminating in the addition of Sora from Kingdom Hearts in October. The game’s last major update came on December 1st.

Three years and countless charming video presentations later, series creator Masahiro Sakurai — an infamous workaholic — seems to finally be taking it easy. “I have more free time now than I’ve probably ever had since I started working in game development,” he tells The Verge over email. That career has been tightly intertwined with Smash, a series he has not only led but also been a key developer on for more than two decades. “I have no regrets because Super Smash Bros. is like none other,” he says of his time working on the series.

With development on Ultimate wrapping up, there’s been much discussion on the future of the franchise — and particularly whether Sakurai would still be involved. I had the chance to ask the director a few questions over email, and we talked about working on new fighters, taking time off, and where Smash Bros. goes from here.

When the game was first announced at E3 2018, you told me how daunting the prospect of creating such a large roster was. How did the post-launch development, and adding all of these new fighters, compare to that initial development process?

You may have already noticed, but DLC fighters tend to be more uniquely made compared to standard fighters on the roster. Some sort of new in-game system is implemented, their Final Smash is accompanied by a visual sequence, they have a relatively elaborate stage setup and guests, and their battle tactics and in-game systems clearly set them apart from other existing fighters.

Fans are paying extra for these additional characters, so we tell ourselves that we need to strive and do our best to deliver content that is more than worthy. Given that, adding one piece of DLC fighter and their accompanying stages, music, and other content proved to be a greater challenge than adding one piece of content in the base game.

Now that it’s finished, how does the final product compare to what you originally envisioned for the game? Are there elements you are particularly proud of?

We envision the finished product and aim for that as we work on the game, so where we landed is certainly not too far from that initial vision. Even so, I feel that there are still some shortcomings, which I took as lessons learned. I have a feeling the notion of “being proud of” differs between Japanese and English, but I do not wish to boast about what we have accomplished with this project.

After working on it for so long, was it hard to finally step away from the game? What was it like when you realized work was complete?

I knew that as long as we continued to work diligently, it would come to an end one day. This was a large-scale project that spanned many years, but even for a project like this, we still apply the same amount of effort to each step as with any other project.

Have you managed to take any time off since Sora launched? What does a break for you look like (aside from riding horses)?

Usually, I like to go on drives. I have more free time now than I’ve probably ever had since I started working in game development, so I occasionally go on short trips, overnight or just a day trip. My itinerary gets fairly packed since I like to make stops here and there. Also, it is fortunate that the COVID-19 situation in Japan has improved.

Do you ever have regrets about not being able to work on projects outside of Smash over the last few years?

I do sometimes look back and think about the fact that there may have been other opportunities had I not been working on Super Smash Bros. However, I have no regrets because Super Smash Bros. is like none other, and this was an opportunity that I could not have gained with any other project.

What would convince you to come back to make another Smash? Do you think, if you did return, your role would be different or reduced?

I think we’ve reached the limit, at least in terms of volume of content and fighters. Basically, if I were to have the opportunity to work on another Super Smash Bros. game, that means we would have to shrink the roster, but we need to think about whether fans would be pleased about that.

Also, I’ve been doing too much of the work myself, so I’d need to resolve that, too. The current Super Smash Bros. has too much of my personality poured into it. In order for a long-time series to continue thriving today, we need to think about eliminating the series’ dependence on just one person’s vision.

Of course, this is the way it is now because we weren’t successful in splitting the vision between multiple people before. This would be a challenge for the future and something that needs to be discussed with Nintendo, if there were to be a next installment in the Super Smash Bros. series.

What do you guys think about the possibility of Tales of Arise getting a character in the next game? I know Lloyd has historically been the popular request as far as Tales characters go but I feel like Arise is similar to Persona 5 in terms of propelling the series into mainstream popularity.

I’ve been a Tales fan since Symphonia and I’m loving Arise so far. I think this is my overall favorite cast from a Tales game as well. I think any of its characters could make for great Smash characters but I’d particularly love to see Shionne. She’s my favorite character in the game and would be really unique in terms of moveset for Smash.
given Arise's success I feel if Tales gets in Smash we may get swerved by Yuri or Alphen/Shionne getting added citing popularity (Yuri) or recent success (Alphen/Shionne). I still feel Lloyd is the character to beat and given Sakurai's tendency to eventually add fan favorites within Smash he'll likely be the pick but his spot doesn't feel as secure IMO.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Anyone who had hopes for Ultimate 2/Everyone is Here 2.0/Ultimate Deluxe etc, better let go of them now because Sakurai literally deconfirmed all of that right here.

Expect the next Smash Bros to have some major cuts to the game. Basically a reboot.

Reverting to a Nintendo Crossover might be nice.

Also he says that he might need a partner for the next game too

AlRex

Smash Lord
With Tales of, you also have to consider that Namco has other series it’d be competing with (Dark Souls, Soul Calibur, Digimon, Klonoa, Taiko no Tatsujin, Tamagotchi, Katamari Damacy, Dig Dig, etc.). You may think some of these sound silly, but Smash itself is pretty silly, ultimately, and at least a few of these are more internationally known than the Tales of series. I feel like people slightly overestimate it’s inevitability, although I’ll give it that the demand seems somewhat heard, and there is a Mii costume. Then again, there’s a Mii costume for Tower of Druaga.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With Tales of, you also have to consider that Namco has other series it’d be competing with (Dark Souls, Soul Calibur, Digimon, Klonoa, Taiko no Tatsujin, Tamagotchi, Katamari Damacy, Dig Dig, etc.). You may think some of these sound silly, but Smash itself is pretty silly, ultimately, and at least a few of these are more internationally known than the Tales of series. I feel like people slightly overestimate it’s inevitability, although I’ll give it that the demand seems somewhat heard, and there is a Mii costume. Then again, there’s a Mii costume for Tower of Druaga.
I’m not trying to suggest anything is inevitable (except maybe Thanos). There are tons of potential options left so you can never really be too confident on any one series, especially if it’s third party. I do think Arise’s success helps its chances for a character but we could just as easily not get anything. That’s even assuming we get any new third party characters at all if we get another Smash.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who had hopes for Ultimate 2/Everyone is Here 2.0/Ultimate Deluxe etc, better let go of them now because Sakurai literally deconfirmed all of that right here.

Expect the next Smash Bros to have some major cuts to the game. Basically a reboot.

I don't think this "literally deconfirmed" anything. Sure, Sakurai speaks with some uncertainty, but he's also wary of what the fanbase wants (not to mention, he's just kinda speaking on the spot in an interview with a foreigner). Until the next Smash comes out (if there is one, though there's a good chance there will), or until Sakurai just tells us all straight to our faces "Sorry everyone, but Pichu's getting the boot again!", we should avoid speaking in absolutes. The continuation of Everyone Is Here might not be likely, but impossible? Eh, we've seen Sakurai pull greater miracles before, and it could only help if Nintendo sees the demand and budgets accordingly (and with Ultimate's sales? Oh boy).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really appreciate Sakurai being honest with us at least. On one hand, it will still suck if they cut a ton of characters for the next game and it will be difficult to get as hyped for it. On the other, at least he’s being transparent unlike the Pokémon company who cut more than half the roster and only told us soon before the release of the game in a random demo the game. I think I would have been a lot more understanding if GameFreak and the Pokémon Company had let us know that Sun and Moon would be the last time we’d get all the Pokémon during the development of that game.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Here's hoping.

**** that.
Dread from it. Run from it. Destiny still arrived all the same.

I don't think this "literally deconfirmed" anything. Sure, Sakurai speaks with some uncertainty, but he's also wary of what the fanbase wants (not to mention, he's just kinda speaking on the spot in an interview with a foreigner). Until the next Smash comes out (if there is one, though there's a good chance there will), or until Sakurai just tells us all straight to our faces "Sorry everyone, but Pichu's getting the boot again!", we should avoid speaking in absolutes. The continuation of Everyone Is Here might not be likely, but impossible? Eh, we've seen Sakurai pull greater miracles before, and it could only help if Nintendo sees the demand and budgets accordingly (and with Ultimate's sales? Oh boy).
"Uncertainty" He literally said the New Smash WILL come with fewer fighters. Don't see any uncertainty or wariness of the statement. It's pretty cut and dry right here. He even said a similar thing before saying Everyone is here is a one time thing, It is what it is.

Expect a lot of major cuts. Nobody is here.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
What if Richter becomes an alt for Simon in the next game?

Also, I think Sakurai is only talking about what would happen if he had the same role as before. He's not 100% confirming that the next game's roster will shrink. If Nintendo decides they want to bring everyone back, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
"Uncertainty" He literally said the New Smash WILL come with fewer fighters. Don't see any uncertainty or wariness of the statement.
Did you read your own link?

"I think we've reached a limit [...] we would have to shrink the roster, but we need to think about whether fans would be pleased about that."

Why think about it if it's already certain?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
What if Richter becomes an alt for Simon in the next game?

Also, I think Sakurai is only talking about what would happen if he had the same role as before. He's not 100% confirming that the next game's roster will shrink. If Nintendo decides they want to bring everyone back, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
It's mostly Sakurai will return as he said before it's hard for him to let the series go. Plus Smash will sell regardless so Nintendo doesn't need to force Sakurai to bring back every fighter. Smash 6 can cut a lot and still be successful. especially with the Nintendo All Star Reboot. They do have killer ips under their belt

I think if they had to return, most if not all echo fighters will be forced into ALT costumes. I don't think they will return to due them eating resources or they will return in great numbers replacing new newcomers as they are easier to do.

Did you read your own link?

"I think we've reached a limit [...] we would have to shrink the roster, but we need to think about whether fans would be pleased about that."

Why think about it if it's already certain?
Because he literally said in your quote straight after that the roster needs to be shrunk.

Guys, there is no point in arguing the inevitable. Smash 6 will have Major cuts. It's to be expected. Ultimate, especially in Japan, is anniversary, special, one off title. This was bound to happen.

It's over.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

. Not sure yet. I am just now reading up on Astral Chain and wondering if I'd prefer it to SMT5 or if the "bayo" influence will show up in a good way (or bad) or if they're even comparable (one game's pace may be vastly different, etc). There's do many rpgs on switch I see no reason why Arise shouldn't be considered top of the pile for rep but I know none of them and little about the series.

Edit

Haaaa Mr Sakurai. Let him be. Smash will live on but his project is ended and so necessarily the next Smash will be a new project.

It's gonna take awhile and probably have some insane awesome base rosters and far out dlc because that formula works so well. The feel will be as foreign as any fighter you pick up for the first time but platform elements will remain. His vision which was so entwined into the project is now legacy so a new vision will steer the series.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Licensing Costs would be too much for a single port. Nintendo wouldn't bother.

a reboot is easier

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Guys, there is no point in arguing the inevitable. Smash 6 will have Major cuts. It's to be expected. Ultimate, especially in Japan, is anniversary, special, one off title. This was bound to happen.

It's over.
Oh lord help us listen to you lol cmon now you know it ain't that bad Major like who Kirby?

Ohhh Sakurai you gone dude take 5 and this balloon.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
y'all will forget about all the cuts anyway when they add even crazier fighters like Master Chief. Hell they'll have the resources to add fan favorites from older games too, since they clearly do listen to those requests if King K. Rool got into SSBU. Cuts won't be a tragic experience just a different experience.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
View attachment 339855
We're going back in time to 2006 to convince THQ to buy the rights to Crash and Spyro
Can we also go back in time to convince Nintendo to buy the rest of Eternal Darkness? Apparently, the reason we don't have anything new from that is because some of the rights are still owned by former Silicon Knights staff, one of whom pleaded guilty of sexual assault charges.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Can we also go back in time to convince Nintendo to buy the rest of Eternal Darkness? Apparently, the reason we don't have anything new from that is because some of the rights are still owned by former Silicon Knights staff, one of whom pleaded guilty of sexual assault charges.
Ugh, that happened? Talk about messed up! That makes it seems like buying the rest of the rights for Eternal Darkness is less of a good idea all of a sudden.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
We can make Activision sell the rights to crash and spyro. Just do what Disney is doing the fantastic four and devalue the brand. Nobody say anything positive about crash and spyro starting today. Got it?
Edit: or start a go fund me to buy activation

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We can make Activision sell the rights to crash and spyro. Just do what Disney is doing the fantastic four and devalue the brand. Nobody say anything positive about crash and spyro starting today. Got it?
Edit: or start a go fund me to buy activation
Actually, it was Fox who devalued the Fantastic Four... alongside several other IPs they owned... which is what lead to Disney buying Fox...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Thanks for the credit!
I generally agree with you.

I know it has been a month of conversation that I missed, but as far as I'm concerned, we have definitive proof of the DX version of Smash, given Sakurai was working with Harada to implement Rollback Netcode. That cannot be added to a game that is already out.

Regardless, I think Sakurai is going to have a lot of tweaks he wants to make to improve this game.It is quite possible he truly isn't even considering what is next, at least not from his perspective, because he is fully focusing on the present. That's just the speech in habit of a successful man. Mindset is key.

He will go on his vacation, consider the offers from a dozen third parties that request their characters, and think of how much joy he can bring to Smash fans.

Listen- Sora was an incredible end of this game. But by no means does that diminish how huge other characters being added would be.
Base game- many Nintendo favorites, including the given of ones like a Ring Fit character (I stand by Dragaux), a couple other impactful third party characters (Bomberman or Frogger are the top thoughts in my eyes, followed by Crash or Rayman).
Then we have huge characters from still unexplored territories- Angry Birds for the mobile gaming, Agumon for virtual pets, the face of MMORPGs in Warcraft... we have many more Western icons that havnt been hit- Lara Croft, Master Chief, keep it coming.

This is putting aside the big fact that Sakurai's legacy is Smash Bros, which- again- is for a lover of the medium to create or ANY character in the medium, a chance that has never existed to this scale. Like any artist, Sakurai is going to continue to think of things that would make this game better. He very well could want to throw in some characters he never had the chance to in prior consideration (Balloon Fighter, Excite Biker, Takamaru, Ayumi, Sukapon, Rayman, Chorus Kids, Dixie Kong...)
As much as a third fighters pass would have been great, there was unlikely going to be a shot at having DLC packs cost more than the base game. Not to mention the economic diminishing of returns by keeping the same game alive for too long.

The new game will fix old issues, rehype the community, serve as greater business partnerships for Nintendo, and promote the new system. It is going to happen. I cannot fathom contracts not having been made for the DX cut within the creation of Ultimate, just as Sm4sh DLC absolutely had to have included the contracting for Smash Ultimate.

The only fallacy in this logic is that Nintendo is Nintendo, which could in theory, mean none of this matters at all, and the new system is going to be a full on remake of the Famicom.

As a side note, I'm waiting for Mario to be added to the WB Multiversus.
No problem for the credit, and this discussion couldn't happen at a better time, cuz folks are ALREADY talking about this interview Sakurai had with IGN.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...to-assume-therell-always-be-a-new-smash-bros/

People like Nabbitfan730 Nabbitfan730 who for some reason think Smash is better off with less stuff (or just want to be right) and quoting this as the be-all-end-all for the future of Smash and that the cuts are happening without realizing a number of things.

First and foremost, Sakurai uses language like this all the time and he has to...because he is the main face of Smash. Do you think he can just say "Oh yeah, I'm working on the next Smash right now...but don't tell Nintendo I told you that!" and everything would be fine? No, he can't say what he's working on in this case, he can only give off negatives (false or true) and be vague or leave things uncertain. Facts are he could EASILY be working on the next Smash RIGHT NOW and still be saying this...because he's already done it before.

Yeah, you guys remember Smash 4 and how Sakurai was already on Ultimate when he had that famous interview, right? As it turns out, companies and the people within them lie about **** all the time, and the reason is to keep their secrets hidden until they are ready to announce them. Remember when there was no new version of the Switch when we heard about one? Nintendo lied about the OLED. Remember when there was no other versions of the Switch coming out? Furukawa said they are planning the announcement and release of the next gen console, which we know is likely just a better Switch...so they lied about that.

Remember when Grant acted like Banjo had no chance for Smash? Remember when we heard multiple times from Nomura and other Square staff that Sora wasn't coming? What about Koei when they had no plans for Ninja Gaiden only to drop a collection mere months later? What about people from Mojang acting like Steve could never get in?

Never forget that companies and the people within them do in fact lie, and it's not just lies like Battlefield 2042 or Anthem or Sword & Shield or Fallout 76 or No Man's Sky (wow, let's of bad games and false advertising) that leave us with a negative impact when we find out the truth, but little white lies that leave us hyped up when we find out the truth. Some companies are like Blizzard and hiding that they are doing shady ****, and some are like Nintendo who hide the crazy cool stuff they are working on. It's the difference between hiding that you are cheating on your SO with lies, and hiding that you are taking your SO on a massive vacation with lies.

The second part that is important is that he's considering what the fans what, as always, and I think he already knows that answer. Now, show of hands here: Who ACTUALLY wants cuts to the roster? No, I don't mean your least favorite character or dropping an Echo or two, I'm talking who here legitimately WANTS Smash to have characters cut after we just celebrated getting some of them back and many big names for the first time?

If you follow this up with a yes, you are in fact a very small minority, because the majority of players want to keep what they have and get even more. People don't like to make sacrifices, and the power that Smash has is proven when you look at the power of any single character who was removed making their return. 'Everyone Is Here!' hit as hard as it did for a reason, and basically no one wants to rip that apart right after we got it. No one wants to cut any of the characters we JUST got back, and no one wants Ridley or K Rool to be removed, and casually most of the DLC was a jammer so nobody wants to see Joker peace out, Banjo drop out, and need I even bring up Sora getting left out?

If he thought that the community wanted 'Everyone Is Here!' then Sakurai already knows the community wants 'Everyone Is Still Here!' and honestly, doing it just once more would be enough. Think about it: even here, we have so many people who think it's impossible. We already have people setting themselves up for disappointment just like they did when Ultimate was first revealed in March. 'Not everyone will come back, some character will get cut' happened then, and it's already happening now, but it will only have a big impact one more time before it becomes something people expect or even demand like they are entitled to it.

So, we have a couple years before we will likely see Smash again, and anything Sakurai says now really doesn't matter all that much since his career IS Smash.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's mostly Sakurai will return as he said before it's hard for him to let the series go. Plus Smash will sell regardless so Nintendo doesn't need to force Sakurai to bring back every fighter. Smash 6 can cut a lot and still be successful. especially with the Nintendo All Star Reboot. They do have killer ips under their belt
Sakurai can return but it's about what role he would play. Like he said, he's done too much of the work by himself so he'll likely cut the roster to reduce the amount of work on him. But if he has more people working on it (something he seems to want to go for), there could very well not be any cuts. Also, I'm pretty sure a reduced roster just being solely Nintendo would be a bad idea and it's something they definitely will not go far if they don't have to.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sakurai can return but it's about what role he would play. Like he said, he's done too much of the work by himself so he'll likely cut the roster to reduce the amount of work on him. But if he has more people working on it (something he seems to want to go for), there could very well not be any cuts. Also, I'm pretty sure a reduced roster just being solely Nintendo would be a bad idea and it's something they definitely will not go far if they don't have to.
Don't worry about Nabbit talking about this all-Nintendo stuff. He's just a purist when it comes to it, to the extent where he thinks it's ACTUALLY better for Smash to drop all the 3rd Parties and go solo bolo.

90% of the Smash community knows cutting all the 3rd Parties would kill Smash at this point, and it was always something that was going to happen.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

"We've hit the peak in terms of content" =/= "The next game is going to be a reboot with tons of cuts"

Just because the next game won't have 89 characters at launch doesn't mean it's going to have 40 characters or however large you'd realistically expect a reboot roster to be.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I bet that even if a substantial amount of cuts happen next Smash, most will be added back with DLC. It’d be leaving money on the table not to bring back the fan favorites.

While yes a new game almost inevitably comes with cuts, we don’t even know what that entails.

Are they cutting the easy to make but little to add clones like Pichu and Young Link?

The Third Parties with their licensing costs but high popularity?

Some of the out there picks with personality like Wii Fit and Duck Hunt?

There is only one truth with cuts. And that truth is, Corrin is out next time don’t @ me :4pacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"We've hit the peak in terms of content" =/= "The next game is going to be a reboot with tons of cuts"

Just because the next game won't have 89 characters at launch doesn't mean it's going to have 40 characters or however large you'd realistically expect a reboot roster to be.
The "ton of cuts" mentality comes from Sakurai saying that if Ultimate started from scratch, it would only have around 1/3 the roster size. Ironically I think he accidentally gave away that 4 was built off Brawl by saying that, given that its roster wasn't that small.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd think that, if Nintendo didn't have full control over the game and the rights were tied up with uncooperative people, then it wouldn't have gotten a spirit in Smash. (I know that some ex-Silicon Knights staff members tried making a spiritual successor, Shadows of the Eternals or something along those lines, but that doesn't seem to indicate that they own anything of the game itself)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'd think that, if Nintendo didn't have full control over the game and the rights were tied up with uncooperative people, then it wouldn't have gotten a spirit in Smash. (I know that some ex-Silicon Knights staff members tried making a spiritual successor, Shadows of the Eternals or something along those lines, but that doesn't seem to indicate that they own anything of the game itself)
Good point. I saw on a forum that said people were the reason Nintendo has no interest in making anything new related to Eternal Darkness.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Are they cutting the easy to make but little to add clones like Pichu and Young Link?
You know, if you think about it, every returning veteran is technically a clone of themselves from the previous game. Depending on how assetts can be ported over, then theoretically, they all could be easy to make. Nevertheless, it is true that characters who were overly similar to another character were historically the ones most likely to get dropped. Then again, given how Echoes are a quick fix whenever it comes to balancing, maybe they're not so expendable.

If he thought that the community wanted 'Everyone Is Here!' then Sakurai already knows the community wants 'Everyone Is Still Here!' and honestly, doing it just once more would be enough. Think about it: even here, we have so many people who think it's impossible. We already have people setting themselves up for disappointment just like they did when Ultimate was first revealed in March. 'Not everyone will come back, some character will get cut' happened then, and it's already happening now, but it will only have a big impact one more time before it becomes something people expect or even demand like they are entitled to it.
Indeed, when I saw that first trailer with Inkling, I feared the possibility that we'd suddenly lose Mega Man or someone else from Smash4. I was totally not expecting the complete opposite to happen.

At any rate, I'm not sure how long Everyone Is Here can keep going, but what I do think is that, as things stand now, Ultimate is a very flawed game overall, one which still has a lot of untapped potential. I really would like to see the full roster continue for at least one more game, ironing out the flaws of Ultimate and giving us a variety of fun things to actually do with all these fantastic characters before it all gets squandered away.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Anyone want any characters who are even more out there than Plant?

Like, having even less prominence in their series levels out there.. Youngster joey is kinda low fruit in regards to memes, but being beaten up by a kid commanding a rat would certainly be new.. Bonus points if they redesign his Rattata so that it is based on the FEAR strat. I'd unironically be interested in how it'd work.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The "ton of cuts" mentality comes from Sakurai saying that if Ultimate started from scratch, it would only have around 1/3 the roster size. Ironically I think he accidentally gave away that 4 was built off Brawl by saying that, given that its roster wasn't that small.
I can't see the game completely discarding Ultimate's framework though. Even if everyone doesn't get brought back or some of the classic vets get major reworks, there's no reason to not use the work on a character like, say, Inkling, who is guaranteed to be in the next game and already in the next game and has a very modern-feeling moveset.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Didn’t they have a kickstarter (which is now going BLOCKCHAIN, ugh) for a spiritual successor called Shadow of the Eternals? It unfortunately got canceled, I was kinda looking forward to that :c
You know, if you think about it, every returning veteran is technically a clone of themselves from the previous game. Depending on how assetts can be ported over, then theoretically, they all could be easy to make. Nevertheless, it is true that characters who were overly similar to another character were historically the ones most likely to get dropped. Then again, given how Echoes are a quick fix whenever it comes to balancing, maybe they're not so expendable.

Indeed, when I saw that first trailer with Inkling, I feared the possibility that we'd suddenly lose Mega Man or someone else from Smash4. I was totally not expecting the complete opposite to happen.

At any rate, I'm not sure how long Everyone Is Here can keep going, but what I do think is that, as things stand now, Ultimate is a very flawed game overall, one which still has a lot of untapped potential. I really would like to see the full roster continue for at least one more game, ironing out the flaws of Ultimate and giving us a variety of fun things to actually do with all these fantastic characters before it all gets squandered away.
Agree 100% especially on that Ultimate still has some areas to improve on. Roster wise, great! Stage wise, FoD could use some optimization and I miss Orbital Gate but it’s still fine… music? Spirit consistency? Misc modes/features? Those could use some work

why is Live and Learn still not the full version after all these years? Where’s my F-Zero GX pilot themes?? VOLCANIC RIM????

Last edited:
Top Bottom