• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
have you not tried 150cc?
I have. My friend’s wife usually picks 150cc when we play. I feel like I used to be pretty good at Mario Kart back in the 64 days but I usually can’t beat my friends now. I think the coin system is a bit hard for me to keep up. Most of the time, I end up in 4th or 5th so I can usually beat the AI at least. I can’t say the same for F-Zero GX. I never came close to winning races in that game, even against the AI.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ice cold take.

A lot of the most adamant F-Zero supporters have never given any of the games any serious amount of time. It's almost entirely support birthed by Captain Falcon in Smash. It's also why you hear so many people say F-Zero should be a GTA styled brawler.

They don't actually care about the franchise's roots.
I love F-Zero X and F-Zero GX. So i guess im in the minority.

I think Captain Falcon would be a neat protagonist in a Yakuza style game tbh.

Then you can fit in tranditional FZero gameplay because Yakuza games hav tons of side modes usually.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I love F-Zero X and F-Zero GX. So i guess im in the minority.

I think Captain Falcon would be a neat protagonist in a Yakuza style game tbh.

Then you can fit in tranditional FZero gameplay because Yakuza games hav tons of side modes usually.
Yeah, but F-Zero is mainly a racer. Shouldn’t brawling be the side mode or solo story companion to the racing game?

Even the anime put brawling to the side. I can only remember like five times in the fifty episodes where Falcon threw hands. :054:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel like in a game like F-Zero where the racing is really difficult and fast paced, you'd want to give it as much polish as possible. I don't think having side modes would be very conducive to that, unless it's also racing themed.

I mean never say never but like...I feel if you want to put anime action into an F-Zero game it'd be better done through cutscenes or qtes.

But I'm not even an F-zero fan, so what do I know? Shrug

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just for fun, I decided to make what I would consider a reasonable guess for what the next game's roster would look like in terms of unique newcomers. I do not plan of making a full roster, though I might do echoes as well at some point.

I think we will see more newcomers than Ultimate's base game (6-7 if you count plant due to it being a pre order bonus) but less than Smash 4's base game (15). This I feel will apply no matter what shape the next game takes. Hard reboot or Ultimate DX, I think at least one more newcomer than Ultimate's base game at worst is the floor, while Smash 4's higher unique newcomer number is the ceiling.

• Pauline
  • Waluigi
  • Demon King Ganondorf
  • Bandana Dee
  • Meowscarada
  • Noah/Mio
  • Octolings
  • Officer Howard
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Toy Con Robot
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sans
Here's my personal gut guess. If you want me to explain any character choice in particular, feel free to ask. What is your personal guess?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Just for fun, I decided to make what I would consider a reasonable guess for what the next game's roster would look like in terms of unique newcomers. I do not plan of making a full roster, though I might do echoes as well at some point.

I think we will see more newcomers than Ultimate's base game (6-7 if you count plant due to it being a pre order bonus) but less than Smash 4's base game (15). This I feel will apply no matter what shape the next game takes. Hard reboot or Ultimate DX, I think at least one more newcomer than Ultimate's base game at worst is the floor, while Smash 4's higher unique newcomer number is the ceiling.

• Pauline
  • Waluigi
  • Demon King Ganondorf
  • Bandana Dee
  • Meowscarada
  • Noah/Mio
  • Octolings
  • Officer Howard
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Toy Con Robot
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sans
Here's my personal gut guess. If you want me to explain any character choice in particular, feel free to ask. What is your personal guess?
Do we think Toy Con Robot is still a possibility at this point? It's been a long time since Labo happened, and assuming Smash 6 were to be on a new system, it'd be weird IMO to have a choice so specifically tied to the previous console. You could argue most of the other picks are also Switch-based, but I think most of those have stood the test of time better than Labo has, and are a bit more flexible in terms of when they get in. I don't know if it'd still be on their minds by then

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ice cold take.

A lot of the most adamant F-Zero supporters have never given any of the games any serious amount of time. It's almost entirely support birthed by Captain Falcon in Smash. It's also why you hear so many people say F-Zero should be a GTA styled brawler.

They don't actually care about the franchise's roots.
Sadly true, although from what I played from F-Zero and F-Zero X, I did enjoy what I played, like the destruction derby-like elements, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some fans who love the series for it's gameplay.

And yeah, I don't exactly blame people for wanting F-Zero to try a Yakuza-style gameplay, especially because of the goofyness of GX's story and Arcade endings.
Yeah, but F-Zero is mainly a racer. Shouldn’t brawling be the side mode or solo story companion to the racing game?

Even the anime put brawling to the side. I can only remember like five times in the fifty episodes where Falcon threw hands. :054:
Probably along the lines of Side Mode/Story companion. I mean, there are multiplayer-focused games with a decently focused story campaign, although for the most part, they use the same gameplay. Although I could've swore there were a couple games with a single player and decently focused multiplayer that had different gameplay. Not counting small stuff like the Kirby series mini-games.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Do we think Toy Con Robot is still a possibility at this point? It's been a long time since Labo happened, and assuming Smash 6 were to be on a new system, it'd be weird IMO to have a choice so specifically tied to the previous console. You could argue most of the other picks are also Switch-based, but I think most of those have stood the test of time better than Labo has, and are a bit more flexible in terms of when they get in. I don't know if it'd still be on their minds by then
Labo is mainly there as a WTF pick like Plant or ROB. I doubt we are returning to random enemies or something historical again, so I went with something stupid from the Switch era. Trying to guess what the surprise pick is will probably be a fools errand, but it’s more fun than leaving it blank. I would prefer not to have LABO than to have it, but it’s there for a specific purpose. There almost certainly will be an oddball out of the box pick, it’s just the one I chose.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And yeah, I don't exactly blame people for wanting F-Zero to try a Yakuza-style gameplay, especially because of the goofyness of GX's story and Arcade endings.
You just know it has more to do with people knowing Captain Falcon as the Falcon Punch guy than anything from an actual F-Zero game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You just know it has more to do with people knowing Captain Falcon as the Falcon Punch guy than anything from an actual F-Zero game.
I don't think people would be wanting Yakuza gameplay compared to GTA, Arkham City or whatnot if they weren't aware of F-Zero's more goofier side. Or maybe they think of Yakuza because of F-Zero GX being made by Sega.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think people would be wanting Yakuza gameplay compared to GTA, Arkham City or whatnot if they weren't aware of F-Zero's more goofier side. Or maybe they think of Yakuza because of F-Zero GX being made by Sega.
Hell i'm pretty sure the devs for FZero GX are actually the same people that went on to make Yakuza.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Mario kart on 200CC is one of the few instances where a game has made me physically ill.

These tracks were not designed for this speed in the slightest.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Update: with total participation up to over 5000 votes Golden Sun is now tied with F-Zero at 14% for 1st place, Star Fox 2nd at 11%, and DKC, Eternal Darkness and Kid Icarus claim 3rd at 10%. Which brings me to the next conclusion. Golden Sun is going to be a popular request for the next Smash for new character, hopefully upgrading Isaac from AT to playable! Having never actually played Golden Sun, I can't say I'm as invested as these fans, but it definitely seems like he's a popular pick even outside out little universe here on Smashboards. Go Isaac!

SPEN18

Smash Champion
As great as it is for what it is, Mario Kart really doesn't sell the feeling of a serious racer. It's closer to a party game than a pure racer; and that's fine, it's great at being what it is designed to be. But there is an itch that MK can't scratch. F-Zero is tuned specifically to nail the fantasy that performance in the race is not simply a matter of winning and losing but also of life and death.

--

I wouldn't mind beat-em-up elements in F-Zero, either coming on the side with the racing or even a la carte as its own game. If done well of course. I agree that probably most of the demand for such a thing comes from Falcon in Smash, but if you hypothetically had never even heard of Smash, it's still an idea that one could reasonably derive from, say, the cutscenes in GX.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What if I told you...there's a TWO-hundred CCs.
Mario kart on 200CC is one of the few instances where a game has made me physically ill.

These tracks were not designed for this speed in the slightest.
I’ve played MK8 200cc and personally it’s challenging, but very doable as long as you have a basic understanding of the controls and drifting.

I think y’all are just weak. :deathstare:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Update: with total participation up to over 5000 votes Golden Sun is now tied with F-Zero at 14% for 1st place, Star Fox 2nd at 11%, and DKC, Eternal Darkness and Kid Icarus claim 3rd at 10%. Which brings me to the next conclusion. Golden Sun is going to be a popular request for the next Smash for new character, hopefully upgrading Isaac from AT to playable! Having never actually played Golden Sun, I can't say I'm as invested as these fans, but it definitely seems like he's a popular pick even outside out little universe here on Smashboards. Go Isaac!
It's one of those polls where just giving one vote is cruel

but yes, go Isaac indeed

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This x10^52 for real it makes a huge difference. When me and my wife play it's typically for me to come in 3rd or so but I've yet to really use this technique whereas it's central to her strategy and she actually ends up lapping most of the cpus lol

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly? I feel the same way about F-Zero that Nintendo does. I just don't think it's needed when we have Mario Kart.

Just give me F-Zero racers and more F-Zero tracks in MK and I'm satisfied with that.
Honestly I never really understand the idea that F-zero can't exist because we have Mario kart. This is like arguing that Kirby shouldn't exist because Nintendo already have Mario as a platformer franchise.

• Pauline
  • Waluigi
  • Demon King Ganondorf
  • Bandana Dee
  • Meowscarada
  • Noah/Mio
  • Octolings
  • Officer Howard
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Toy Con Robot
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sans
Yeah I think this is a fairly safe list aside from Demon King Ganondorf which I already explained why I don't see him as super likely. I'm not too sure on Pauline too personally, I still think that despite her popularity she never really hit Rosalina's or Bowser Jr. popularity, but I think she can go either way. I still think King boo could be a surprise Mario pick considering how huge Luigi's mansion is right now and he seems to be fairly popular too.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In 99% of cases when people say that a Nintendo IP might be better in the hands of another company I'd disagree.

F-Zero might be one of the few cases where it belonging to a Sega or Namco probably would have kept it much more active, even with the former's occasional struggles.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
F-Zero might be one of the few cases where it belonging to a Sega or Namco probably would have kept it much more active, even with the former's occasional struggles.
That's debatable. Especially when F-Zero sales were declining per title. Namco has been noted to be picky about stuff that doesn't sell, something that Harada mentioned and how much the Soulcalibur VI director had to push to convince Namco to let them do SCVI.

And I'm pretty sure Sega would not really care about F-Zero either, especially when they were trying to do their own Mario Kart with the Sega All-Stars Racing games and eventually Team Sonic Racing. Not to mention the times when Sega was quite horrid about releasing non-Sonic titles in the West.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
A lot of people's appreciation for F-Zero was definitely born from Smash. And a lot of that, from 2010-brained memes about the Falcon Punch. But like... okay? Sounds fine to me. That's not a point against the series. If a nugget of representation, that tiny peek at the games' personality, was all it took to enamor people and make them pay the series more mind, that sounds like a point in its favor. Also, F-Zero GX absolutely slaps. It's an amazing game, though definitely not for everyone.

And in response to above, Mario Kart 8's 200cc becomes as stupid-easy as the rest after about a day or two of adjusting to it. Drift braking is a thing.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

• Pauline
  • Waluigi
  • Demon King Ganondorf
  • Bandana Dee
  • Meowscarada
  • Noah/Mio
  • Octolings
  • Officer Howard
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Toy Con Robot
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sans
Ya think characters like Ring Fit Trainee, Toy Con Robot, Officer Howard, and Meowscarada will still be relevant enough by the next the next Smash hits?

Cuz I've got that game pegged for around 2026 or so, and by that time I bet there'll be a new Pokémon generation and other newer properties that might take priority.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ya think characters like Ring Fit Trainee, Toy Con Robot, Officer Howard, and Meowscarada will still be relevant enough by the next the next Smash hits?

Cuz I've got that game pegged for around 2026 or so, and by that time I bet there'll be a new Pokémon generation and other newer properties that might take priority.
If the next smash is coming out then, the roster will have been decided 2-3 years beforehand, looking heavily at the switch era. Aegis and Min Min were too far out in 2016 for Ultimate, so I doubt they won’t be out of the running. Heck, look at Brawl’s roster, it makes a lot of sense as a roster made in 2005. I think the former two are completely safe in that regard. We haven’t seen a breakout new ip reach either’s success yet and unless another happens soon I doubt that would change. Also Toy Con is mainly there as my token surprise pick.

Ad for Meowscarada, it depends on what Pokémon does. I can see the next Pokémon game not coming until 2025 or 2026. I doubt the next ten will launch within the first year of Nintendo’s new hardware: Game Freak hasn’t launched a new gen on a new console’s system first year since Gen 3. With that in mind, I can easily see Gen V remakes holding people over for a 2026 release date, giving Gen IX a decent window the earlier the next game comes out. If we get gen X sooner rather than later, it’s probably off the table and we would get a gen X mon instead.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
My personal newcomer predictions, as the resident oracle who has never once made any wrong predictions in her entire life:
  • Waluigi
  • Porky
  • Dark Matter Blade
  • Deathborn (Ganondorf gets reworked from the ground up and Deathborn gets his old moveset)
  • Sukapon
  • Primid
  • KOS-MOS
  • Heihachi
  • Miku
  • Reimu
  • Sans
  • Madotsuki
  • Metal Mario (Not announced prior to release, is unlockable)
  • Master Hand (Not announced prior to release, is unlockable)
  • Funky Kong (Donkey Kong echo fighter)
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser echo fighter)
  • Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo echo fighter)
  • Dark Meta Knight (Meta Knight echo fighter)
  • Medusa (Palutena echo fighter)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta echo fighter)
  • Octoling (Inkling echo fighter)
  • T-elos (KOS-MOS echo fighter)
  • Crazy Hand (Master Hand echo fighter, not announced prior to release, is unlockable)
Please feel free to tell me how objectively correct I am.
While I'm obviously being sarcastic about this being a prediction, this is very much genuine as a dream batch of newcomers.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think a good "surprise" pick would be a new franchise that could come with a funky moveset, like for example Wave Race or Excitebike.

Edit: to reiterate I don't think we need reps that are only there for the surprise factor, but if there's no option other than getting a "surprise" pick...we might as well get something good from it that has merit anyway

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
My personal newcomer predictions, as the resident oracle who has never once made any wrong predictions in her entire life:
  • Waluigi
  • Porky
  • Dark Matter Blade
  • Deathborn (Ganondorf gets reworked from the ground up and Deathborn gets his old moveset)
  • Sukapon
  • Primid
  • KOS-MOS
  • Heihachi
  • Miku
  • Reimu
  • Sans
  • Madotsuki
  • Metal Mario (Not announced prior to release, is unlockable)
  • Master Hand (Not announced prior to release, is unlockable)
  • Funky Kong (Donkey Kong echo fighter)
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser echo fighter)
  • Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo echo fighter)
  • Dark Meta Knight (Meta Knight echo fighter)
  • Medusa (Palutena echo fighter)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta echo fighter)
  • Octoling (Inkling echo fighter)
  • T-elos (KOS-MOS echo fighter)
  • Crazy Hand (Master Hand echo fighter, not announced prior to release, is unlockable)
Please feel free to tell me how objectively correct I am.
While I'm obviously being sarcastic about this being a prediction, this is very much genuine as a dream batch of newcomers.
Oooh I forgot ultimate was the only game to have all its characters announced before launch. I wonder if they'd keep some secret ones before launch or not for a deluxe version. Maybe it's like subspace, where Sakurai would be worried about them being put online early, especially with how many games leak nowadays.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This x10^52 for real it makes a huge difference. When me and my wife play it's typically for me to come in 3rd or so but I've yet to really use this technique whereas it's central to her strategy and she actually ends up lapping most of the cpus lol
That, and managing your resources. Coins keep you in the game, your items are more shields from items than weapons when you stay in 1st so you can keep your speed and acceleration. But not so far as to prevent you from throwing if you see a blue shell on screen so you don’t take the hit.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter what's still relevant when the next Smash hits. It matters what's relevant 2-5 years before the next Smash hits. Because that's when the roster is actually decided.

I’ve played MK8 200cc and personally it’s challenging, but very doable as long as you have a basic understanding of the controls and drifting.
You just have to be okay with braking.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I see Ditto as the most likely Pokémon rep he became functional in ultimate and already 90% ready to be upgraded playable
Scream Tail is probably the 2nd most likely due to recent Pokémon Gen and easy to add as Jigglypuff echo

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I see Ditto as the most likely Pokémon rep he became functional in ultimate and already 90% ready to be upgraded playable
Scream Tail is probably the 2nd most likely due to recent Pokémon Gen and easy to add as Jigglypuff echo
Ditto isn't even a character, it's a model swap of existing characters driven by an AI. I don't see how that's considered more "functional" than any other cpu combatant or how this makes it so likely in your eyes.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hmm... Ditto like characters... Shang Tsung, Mokujin, Dural to name the three I know of, it is interesting that this character type exists in these fgs. I guess you could say Kirby is the closest thing in Smash. Not sure I'd enjoy using a character like these but maybe. Shang Tsung in MK2 had some silly combos...

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Ditto isn't even a character, it's a model swap of existing characters driven by an AI. I don't see how that's considered more "functional" than any other cpu combatant or how this makes it so likely in your eyes.
it has something to do with the fact that Ditto has been on the table as a pokeball since melee and his addition wasnt possible until ultimate came in and the fact that adding Ditto does present the mimic type of character that many fighting game has remember sakurai choose :ultincineroar: over decidueye only because he wanted a wrestler and same case can happen to Ditto and right now Ditto is most iconic mimic type of character in video game that can be presented and he is the easiest one right now because it was made possible in ultimate i know there is kirby but he only mimic 1 move from each character in smash
more over they can easily replace Ditto pokeball with Eleven from street fighter as an assist
Ditto isnt a type of character that would be added because of requests but rather because of his already existing assets that makes him almost a complete character

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Maybe Ditto could simply, at the start of every match, transform into your opponent's chosen fighter with the Ditto aesthetic change (the color of the ditto-goop depending on Ditto's chosen costume) and their voice muted, and stays that way for the entire match. If there are more than two fighters, it selects one at random. If all of the players are Ditto, they all each transform into a random non-Ditto fighter. If there are multiple other fighters, some also Ditto, some not, the non-Ditto fighter(s) are prioritized when choosing one to transform into. Essentially, Ditto forces the ditto.

In single-player modes, Ditto will transform each round into one of the however-many opponents, choosing randomly when there are multiple. that are first on-screen during that round. In modes with no other fighters/a rest area, it again transforms into a random non-Ditto fighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom