• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Disney (Video Game Division)

Note: I'm counting acquisitions such Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts and Marvel Games for this.

• Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Toon Avatar (ToonTown Online)
  • Swampy (Where's My Water?)
  • Rallen (Spectrobes)
  • Guybrush (Monkey Island)
  • Purple Tentacle (Maniac Mansion)
  • Grim Fandango
  • Paragon (Marvel Nemesis) [created and owned by EA, so it counts?]
His name is Manny Calavera ya poser lol

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Limited Run Games announced a bunch of releases, pretty much all in the Switch and one that technically might add someone eligible for Smash:

-The Gex Trilogy (thank you Scott the Woz)
-Tomba! (for the first time on a Nintendo platform)
-Jurassic Park Collection (NES, Game Boy, and SNES games from the early 90s, though no Genesis ones)
-A formerly canceled Shantae game to get a physical Game Boy Advance Release

And finally Arzette, Jewel of Faramore a spiritual successor to... the Zelda CD-I games

And yes, they got the same voice actors of Link and Zelda from the original releases.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Limited Run Games announced a bunch of releases, pretty much all in the Switch and one that technically might add someone eligible for Smash:

-Jurassic Park Collection (NES, Game Boy, and SNES games from the early 90s, though no Genesis ones)

And finally Arzette, Jewel of Faramore a spiritual successor to... the Zelda CD-I games

And yes, they got the same voice actors of Link and Zelda from the original releases.
Wait, I thought Tomba was owned by Sony.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't think we need playable Gorons, Zoras, etc. just for the sake of having them. Though I would be in favor of some of the BotW Champs. Any Zelda races not represented on the playable roster can still make for great ATs, costumes, etc.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe I missed my chance to shill SMT on page 666 😭

And as much as I'm happy for some of these rereleases, LRG making the physical versions is a pain.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
forget to mention my picks would be these
KonamiBomberman:ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:Master HigginsPyramid HeadFroggerGoemon
Sega:ultsonic::ultbayonetta:Jack Frost:ultjoker:Alex KiddRed (Angry Birds)Arle NadjaVectorman
Namco:ultpacman::ultkazuya:AgumonTaizo HoriNightmareLloydKos-mosChoosen Undead
Capcom:ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:Hsein-Ko (Darkstalkers)ArthurDanteMonster HunterPhoenix Wright
Square-Enix:ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ulthero3::geno:Space InvadersCronoDoh (Arkanoid)2B
MicrosoftCrash Bandicoot:ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:Doom SlayerRash (Battletoads)Smiley (Minesweeper)DiabloMaster Cheif
didnt mention snk and disney cuz they dont have a lot to choose from
you know what why not disney as well even though most of their game franchises are dead
oh and snk do have cool picks
SNK:ult_terry:IoriRugalMarcoMars PeopleAthenaNakoruruHaohmaru
Disney:ultsora:RoxasPenguin (Club Penguin)RalphGuybrush (Monkey Island)Zeke (Zombie's ate my neighbour)Rallen (Spectrobes)Flippy (Toontown)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Wait, does it say somewhere that these will come to Switch?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
All the trailers for them had Switch as an available console, except for the Shantae title which apparently is just the GBA (For now...)

Something I just realized is that Gex may or may not have different versions given that 2 and 3 had alternate actors voicing the character for the PAL release than the one in North America. This upcoming port will also mark the first time Gex 1 has ever been on a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
All the trailers for them had Switch as an available console, except for the Shantae title which apparently is just the GBA

(For now...)
Shantae is the one I am most interested in, so I am a bit nervous about not being able to play it. However, considering how much Shantae as a series has been ported to different consoles, Risky Revolution will probably make its way onto a modern console eventually.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t really know enough characters from many companies well enough to keep my limit of only one per franchise so I’ll have to cheat a bit to keep the lists personalized and not just the top 8 most popular characters for each but I’ll see what I can do.

Microsoft:

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Ilidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Diablo (Diablo)
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash)

Square-Enix:

Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Dagger (Final Fantasy)
H’aanit or Traveler amalgamation (Octopath Traveller)
Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean)
Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy)
Bub/Bob (Bubble Bobble)
Neku Sakaraba (The World Ends with You)
Frog (Chrono Trigger)

Capcom:

Zero (Mega Man X)
Pharaoh Man (Mega Man)
Guile (Street Fighter)
Vega (Street Fighter)
Masamune Date (Sengoku Basara)
Amaterasu (Amaterasu)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Rider (Monster Hunter Stories)

Bandai-Namco:

Alphen and Shionne (Tales)
Velvet Crowe (Tales)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Astaroth (Soul Calibur)
Jin Kazama (Tekken)
Ogremon (Digimon)
Meramon (Digimon)
Klonoa (Klonoa)

SEGA:

Knuckles (Sonic)
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman (Sonic)
Kanji Tatsumi (Persona)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona)
Vector Man (Vector Man)
Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
Estel Aguirre (Streets of Rage)
Nights (Nights)

Konami:

Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
Alucard (CastleVania)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
Master Higgins (Adventure Island)
Raiden (Metal Gear)
Frogger (Frogger)
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Probably going to swing for Gex and maybe the Jurassic Park collection. I remember playing both of them as a kid and warts and all I'd love to experience them again, though the lack of the Genesis version for the latter is a bit of a bummer.

Either this port/project was developed before the Embracer sale, or Square Enix looked over the likes of Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain and concluded: "Eh, this can all go, but Gex is too valuable long term to sell."

Given this is contemporary SE, it could be either way.
They held onto Gex because they plan on putting him into Smash. :4pacman:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Either this port/project was developed before the Embracer sale, or Square Enix looked over the likes of Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain and concluded: "Eh, this can all go, but Gex is too valuable long term to sell."

Given this is contemporary SE, it could be either way.
I like to think that just like, no one wanted to buy Gex

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.

Interesting. I wouldn't mind if Arzette gets into the next Smash.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to go because I am having a hard time answering this question I have in mind, which is...

I wonder what's for dinner? :troll:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a quick head's up since we talked about it a bunch the other day, word is that the FTC is going to try to appeal the ActiBlizz ruling. Not sure if that'll go through, but we may have to deal with that nonsense for a bit longer after all...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Just a quick head's up since we talked about it a bunch the other day, word is that the FTC is going to try to appeal the ActiBlizz ruling. Not sure if that'll go through, but we may have to deal with that nonsense for a bit longer after all...
Try?
They announced that they will appeal the ruling. Note however that the TRO does not apply to the appeal. If the appeal is either:
A. Denied
B. Not Ruled on before this Friday at 11:59:59 pm

MSFT will then be free to close the deal.

Also someone pointed this out on Twitter but Nasdaq is planning to replace Activision Blizzard stock with another company soon (that is to say, replace the ability to buy/sell ABK stock with another companies stock) so it sounds like the deal is happening.

Of course things could change before next week so until then, don’t count chickens before they hatch!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Try?
They announced that they will appeal the ruling. Note however that the TRO does not apply to the appeal. If the appeal is either:
A. Denied
B. Not Ruled on before this Friday at 11:59:59 pm

MSFT will then be free to close the deal.

Also someone pointed this out on Twitter but Nasdaq is planning to replace Activision Blizzard stock with another company soon (that is to say, replace the ability to buy/sell ABK stock with another companies stock) so it sounds like the deal is happening.

Of course things could change before next week so until then, don’t count chickens before they hatch!
So, how likely do you think this appeal will go through?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
A few ways it could go ..

Still, any outstanding regulatory hurdle makes it more likely that the agreement between Microsoft and Activision will expire on July 18 without the deal having been completed. After July 18, either company will be free to walk away from the deal unless they negotiate an extension.
-source

Also...

Internal Xbox documents shown during the FTC v. Microsoft trial showcased a wide range of acquisition possibilities the company was considering, including Sega, Behaviour Interactive, Remedy Entertainment, Larian Studios, Rebellion Developments, Paradox Interactive, IO Interactive, Niantic, Supergiant, and more.
-source

Can you imagine? The future is amazing.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

You forgot one, they're finally localizing the SNES Clock Tower

Stratos

Smash Lord
I read somewhere that Abe from the Oddworld series was going to have him as a fighter in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, as well as Dart from The Legend of Dragoon, but for some reason they didn't in the end. But since these two didn't come to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, let them come as a newcomers in a future Super Smash Bros. game. Also a third character I would like to come as a newcomer is from the Oddworld series like Abe, his name is Stranger.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I read somewhere that Abe from the Oddworld series was going to have him as a fighter in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, as well as Dart from The Legend of Dragoon, but for some reason they didn't in the end. But since these two didn't come to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, let them come as a newcomers in a future Super Smash Bros. game. Also a third character I would like to come as a newcomer is from the Oddworld series like Abe, his name is Stranger.
Yeah they were in fact in production to be part of a new wave of DLC content for that game but due to sals of the base game being lower than expected they cancelled some of the DLC fighters they had planned.

Stratos

Smash Lord
Now what I'm writing I don't know how you'll take it, but to me any video game character that comes as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series is lucky, not that it's not if it doesn't come, it's just how I feel or think.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
But the The Legend of Dragoon is a Sony IP, so...yeah, don't expect Dart to pop up in Smash.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master

They better get the german actors too!
(although they were far better than english so maybe its GOOD if theyre not there)
Also we can hopefully all agree that whoever used/ created this design of octorok is blind:
Thats how octos look in zelda 1:
1689267757775.png
Rock Spitting Snout and Really Cute
1689267789294.png
no Snout and oh my god how awful Bleh!
And yes the bad early zelda stuf like cdi and the cartoons used a modified version of the bad artwork design!
In general Zelda 1s Enemy Artworks were a mistake!

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Smash 6 had trended on Social Media so Delzethin made a thread that summarizes my full thoughts on what the installment should be.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If Smash Ultimate was to be ported, here’s how I’d personally like to see it:
Let's say Nintendo's next console came out in, say, 2024, and Smash Ultimate got a rerelease (with all the DLC on the cartridge or disc) to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary. What new content would you add to the rerelease? For me:

• #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #85. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • #86-87. Noah & Mio
  • #88. Dr. Eggman
  • #89. Crash Bandicoot
  • #90. Spyro the Dragon
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #40ε. Alph
  • #82ε. Riku
Because this would even out to exactly 100 fighters (counting Echoes and transformations as separate characters), I'd make the subtitle of this rerelease The Top 100
  • New stages
    • Flower Kingdom (Super Mario Bros. Wonder)
    • Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
    • Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart)
    • Great Sky Island (Tears of the Kingdom)
    • Planet ZDR (Metroid Dread)
    • Waddle Dee Town (Kirby and the Forgotten Land)
    • Ascension Grounds (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
    • Chemical Plant Zone (Sonic 2)
    • N. Sanity Beach (Crash Bandicoot)
    • Autumn Plains (Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage)
  • Previous stages
    • Planet Zebes (64)
    • Sector Z (64)
    • Meta Crystal (64)
    • Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
    • Mute City (Melee)
    • Icicle Mountain (Melee; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Poké Floats (Melee; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Flat Zone (Melee)
    • Rumble Falls (Brawl; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Pictochat (Brawl)
    • Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
    • Rainbow Road (3DS)
    • Pac-Maze (3DS)
    • Jungle Hijinx (Wii U; not available for Stage Morph)
    • Pyrosphere (Wii U; Ridley's previous role as a stage boss is taken by Mecha Ridley)
    • Woolly World (Wii U)
    • Orbital Gate Assault (Wii U)
  • You can now switch between different versions of Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination based on the appearances in 64, Melee, Brawl, and for Wii U
  • Each stage from each game is organized into six folders
    • Normal (denotes the new stages in Ultimate, both the original, its DLC and the rerelease)
    • Melee
    • Brawl
    • for 3DS / Wii U
    • Custom
New Modes
  • Group
    • Coin Smash
  • Games & More
    • Arcade
      • Story Mode (each fighter has a predetermined route)
      • Classic Mode (branching paths where you get three options)
      • All-Star Mode (fight opponents by game)
    • Smash Run
    • Stadium
      • Mob Smash
        • Century Smash (fight 100 opponents back-to-back; you can choose to fight either Mii Fighters or every playable character in the game)
        • Rival Smash (two players pick different characters to defeat as many opponents as possible)
      • Home-Run Contest
      • Boss Battles
    • Creative Corner
      • Mii Fighters
      • Stage Builder
      • Mode Builder (create your own Target Test and Story Mode route and share them online)
  • World of Light
    • New Spirits and sub-areas based on the franchises represented
    • Every Spirit who didn't have a Spirit Battle in the original game now gets a Spirit Battle in this rerelease
    • New bosses (who would also appear in Classic and Story Mode)
      • Mega Rayquaza (Light Realm)
      • Duon (Dark Realm)
      • Dr. Eggman (Light Realm)
      • Grunty (Dark Realm)
      • Master Core (Classic Mode)
      • Tabuu (secret boss)
  • Assuming the next system's online capabilities are vastly improved, there would also be rollback netcode for online play
  • New music relative The Top 100's new content would be added to the game

Top Bottom