• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

With Microsoft and the UK regulators potentially working things out outside of court, it looks like the buyout will be going through by the end of the year.
Something else to mention is that, in the U.S., the judge has shortened the time the TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) would be in place.
Before, MS had to wait 5 business days to close.
Now they have to wait until Friday.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Something else to mention is that, in the U.S., the judge has shortened the time the TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) would be in place.
Before, MS had to wait 5 business days to close.
Now they have to wait until Friday.
It’s also worth mentioning that Microsoft has explored going through with the buyout without the UK’s approval. It would be the nuclear option, but it’s not off the table. It’s likely why both sides are meeting now.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It’s also worth mentioning that Microsoft has explored going through with the buyout without the UK’s approval. It would be the nuclear option, but it’s not off the table. It’s likely why both sides are meeting now.
Well, if certain things I heard are true, the UK government didn't like how the CMA blocked the deal. Maybe they're only now realizing how badly they screwed up...

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I want to make a video flashing out Zeldas rep in smash and i wanna ask these characters:

Adult Link (All versions)
Toon Link (Awekning link gets some alts too)
Zelda (Most VErsions)
Ganondorf (new Moveset, totk body with alts based on Demon king, gerudo and classic versions)
Sheik/ Impa (New Moveset with a lot of elements from sheiks old one)
Midna (Most Popular Guide)
Skull Kid (Most Popular other villain)
Yunobo (just Goron)

Like thats the perfect 8 character zelda roster right?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think Ryu Hyabusa would be cool and I’d be happy to see him make it into Smash but there are plenty of characters originating in the NES and SNES eras I’d prefer to see first.
A DISCORDANT WAVELENGTH! EXPELLED!

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So what we're saying is that once Isaac gets in, the legacy GBA crowd will shift onto Andy and Lyn?
Probably wouldn't need them for Lyn when I've still seen alot of support for Lyn coming from Fire Emblem fans still.
Plus, we need more mech fighters in Smash. And the girl in a mech trope is popular for a reason.
Nintendo wouldn't need D.Va to fulfil that niche when they already got their own girl in a mech. A Warrior Princess with a Centaur Mech to be more precise.

That aside, while D.Va would be fitting for a crossover fighter about video games, if Overwatch were to get a character, I can't see it being anybody but Tracer. Sure, Spring Man shares a poster boy role with Tracer's poster girl role and he didn't get in, but one, Min-Min was more the producer's choice and I wouldn't be surprised if they would've added Spring-Man regardless of him being an Assist Trophy. And two, compared to Spring-Man who really only has the game's Arcade mode and 1 comic, Tracer gets alot more attention throughout Overwatch's story and background, being one of the more prominent characters used in the Cinematics/Short Movies, Comics and even a dedicated set of books.
While Overwatch tries to do a "No specific main character" mentality with it's message, "The World could always use more Heroes." and for the most part, they do a decent job, Tracer definitely gets more attention in media compared to the other Heroes and it would be no surprise if she was the first one chosen regardless of her poster girl stamp, unsurprisingly for the character who began the game's catchphrase.

But nowadays, it's hard to imagine Overwatch getting in, especially with it's recent reception nowadays. Poor Overwatch fans. And some for the dev team too considering Bobby Kotick was really pushing on them hard to do stuff that they would scrap later, thus wasting development time and preventing them from doing the more important stuff.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want to make a video flashing out Zeldas rep in smash and i wanna ask these characters:

Adult Link (All versions)
Toon Link (Awekning link gets some alts too)
Zelda (Most VErsions)
Ganondorf (new Moveset, totk body with alts based on Demon king, gerudo and classic versions)
Sheik/ Impa (New Moveset with a lot of elements from sheiks old one)
Midna (Most Popular Guide)
Skull Kid (Most Popular other villain)
Yunobo (just Goron)

Like thats the perfect 8 character zelda roster right?
Yunobo and Midna might be pushing it, but otherwise it's pretty great. How you envision Impa and Sheik sharing a spot? Think it's best to have them separate even if I'd choose Impa over Sheik in a heartbeat.

Also weirdly enough I think I'd really love a Lynel as a playable character in Smash too. They are my chosen mook as far as Zelda goes.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also weirdly enough I think I'd really love a Lynel as a playable character in Smash too. They are my chosen mook as far as Zelda goes.
A Guardian would probably be my first pick for a Zelda mook. If not for the fact that I want to see and hear all the PTSD from viewers when they hear the first few notes of the Guardian theme in a Guardian reveal trailer.
But a Lynel would be legitimately cool to see too though. Breath of the Wild really gave them a great design.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Probably wouldn't need them for Lyn when I've still seen alot of support for Lyn coming from Fire Emblem fans still.
It still feels like a battle trying to get her massive popularity within the FE fandom to fully spill over into Smash circles. Of course a lot of it has to do with the way FE has been handled in Smash so far, and the fanbase's (IMO not always justified) reactions to it. I do think things have perked up a bit for her lately, though; not having to deal with the AT status at least for now is helpful, too.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yunobo and Midna might be pushing it, but otherwise it's pretty great. How you envision Impa and Sheik sharing a spot? Think it's best to have them separate even if I'd choose Impa over Sheik in a heartbeat.

I disagree with cutting Sheik but I’d love to see Impa’s Hyrule Warriors incarnation make it into Smash. She was my favorite character in that game but I’ve never had a strong opinion on the character outside of that version.

A lionel would be awesome as well. I’m a big supporter for more mooks as they usually have very unique builds compared to the mostly humanoid roster of Smash. I could also go for a bokoblin or a lizalfos too.

wait now Crash is officially a microsoft rep????
With this, almost half of my top 10 most wanted characters are owned by Microsoft (Battletoads, Fulgore, Illidan Stormrage, and Sarah Kerrigan). None of them are really heavily requested or discussed, even among Microsoft characters, so I’ll be ecstatic if I even get one of these.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Nintendo wouldn't need D.Va to fulfil that niche when they already got their own girl in a mech. A Warrior Princess with a Centaur Mech to be more precise.
i hope you don't mind me saying this character to me seems like what would happen if seregi from XC3 had been for FE instead.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i hope you don't mind me saying this character to me seems like what would happen if seregi from XC3 had been for FE instead.
It reminded me a bit more of Herald from Xenoblade 2, which was one of the cooler blades in my opinion.

1689109374765.jpeg

My pick for mech girl is Gaige from Borderlands 2, mainly because she is voiced by one of my favorite voice actresses in Luci Christian and another that I also really like in Cherami Leigh. Gaige has more of a robot helper rather than a mech suit. Moze from Borderlands 3 is closer to these.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

That aside, while D.Va would be fitting for a crossover fighter about video games, if Overwatch were to get a character, I can't see it being anybody but Tracer. Sure, Spring Man shares a poster boy role with Tracer's poster girl role and he didn't get in, but one, Min-Min was more the producer's choice and I wouldn't be surprised if they would've added Spring-Man regardless of him being an Assist Trophy. And two, compared to Spring-Man who really only has the game's Arcade mode and 1 comic, Tracer gets alot more attention throughout Overwatch's story and background, being one of the more prominent characters used in the Cinematics/Short Movies, Comics and even a dedicated set of books.
While Overwatch tries to do a "No specific main character" mentality with it's message, "The World could always use more Heroes." and for the most part, they do a decent job, Tracer definitely gets more attention in media compared to the other Heroes and it would be no surprise if she was the first one chosen regardless of her poster girl stamp, unsurprisingly for the character who began the game's catchphrase.

But nowadays, it's hard to imagine Overwatch getting in, especially with it's recent reception nowadays. Poor Overwatch fans. And some for the dev team too considering Bobby Kotick was really pushing on them hard to do stuff that they would scrap later, thus wasting development time and preventing them from doing the more important stuff.
Considering I have no idea who that is I highly doubt that'd be the girl in a mech they would choose lol. Tron Bonne or Mechanica maybe.

I'm sorry I just don't agree with you about Tracer. Blizzard has said they'd be fine with literally any Overwatch character getting in, and it's clear who the most popular one is. If Nintendo asked, I believe it'd be D.va or Genji without a doubt. Mercy is also super popular but I don't imagine a healer character with only light fighting capabilities is the one they'd go for, so most of the support side of the roster is out. And if you're argument is "main character" I'd actually give that a little more to Winston then I would Tracer.

On a more personal note, Tracer is also one of Overwatch's blandest heroes from a character standpoint. Most of the cast is infinitely more interesting than just "peppy girl."

And see thats the thing. That's me. I'm Overwatch fans. Well, at least there's a non zero chance they'll finally launch Bobby Kotick into the sun. And while it's admittedly small, I do think there's a possibility Microsoft might push for them to actually finish the PvE and give them the staff they need to do so.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Reports are now coming in that MS and the CMA have reached a Divestiture so things are moving.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It still feels like a battle trying to get her massive popularity within the FE fandom to fully spill over into Smash circles. Of course a lot of it has to do with the way FE has been handled in Smash so far, and the fanbase's (IMO not always justified) reactions to it. I do think things have perked up a bit for her lately, though; not having to deal with the AT status at least for now is helpful, too.
More so the latter case than the former. It's mostly because of what fans expect from Fire Emblem to happen than her popularity needing to spill over more into Smash circles. Like currently right now, alot of people are expecting Alear just out of precedence because of both Engage being the latest game and because of Robin, Corrin and Byleth. It's often why whenever Lyn is brought up, most tend to agree that her chances are low over the latest games' characters unless they were to bring out a Blazing Blade Remake, which would give her that big push and last big chance at getting in.
Considering I have no idea who that is I highly doubt that'd be the girl in a mech they would choose lol. Tron Bonne or Mechanica maybe.
Reginn from Fire Emblem Heroes, which is Nintendo's most popular mobile game aside from Pokemon GO. And probably the Nintendo Mobile game with the biggest chance of getting a character. Reginn is one of the more unique characters in FEH thanks to her Mech, which has access to bullets, rockets, a sword and shield and multiple legs for mobility and attacking(the front legs are capable of attacking like a horse).
I'm sorry I just don't agree with you about Tracer. Blizzard has said they'd be fine with literally any Overwatch character getting in, and it's clear who the most popular one is. If Nintendo asked, I believe it'd be D.va or Genji without a doubt. Mercy is also super popular but I don't imagine a healer character with only light fighting capabilities is the one they'd go for, so most of the support side of the roster is out. And if you're argument is "main character" I'd actually give that a little more to Winston then I would Tracer.

On a more personal note, Tracer is also one of Overwatch's blandest heroes from a character standpoint. Most of the cast is infinitely more interesting than just "peppy girl."

And see thats the thing. That's me. I'm Overwatch fans. Well, at least there's a non zero chance they'll finally launch Bobby Kotick into the sun. And while it's admittedly small, I do think there's a possibility Microsoft might push for them to actually finish the PvE and give them the staff they need to do so.
Sure Blizzard has said they'd be fine with any character. The question would be who would Sakurai pick?

Ultimately, I wouldn't use looking at the internet, especially fanbase forums, to determine popularity for a character and whatnot. Heck, Lyn was somewhat like that for the first CYL, where popularity did matter and where the attention of Fire Emblem fans on CYL was at it's peak. If you simply looked around the internet for who was popular, Lucina had a lot more attention than Lyn, probably 5 times as much if not more, and you'd think from looking that Lucina was the most popular female FE character. Alot of people expected Lucina to win and were shocked when Lyn won.

And Tracer is certainly not without character development when she's pushing back both PTSD(with that condition of hers that requires Winston's machine to keep her intact) and survivor's guilt(literally one of her quotes with Genji is questioning if she should've been the one to die instead of Mondatta who she failed to save.). If anything, she's not that different from D.Va as both have their own PTSD issues and both try to push through it with being cheerful, hopeful and whatnot. And both have issues with their PTSD in different ways. Tracer gets hit hard alot due to her interactions with the Omnics after Mondatta's death whereas D.Va's issues are often kept closed because of her government's propaganda of trying to paint her as a fearless defender and her having very few people to show her issues to.

Geez, thinking back on the characters and lore makes me sad in the direction Overwatch has went because of upper/higher-up management.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
More so the latter case than the former. It's mostly because of what fans expect from Fire Emblem to happen than her popularity needing to spill over more into Smash circles. Like currently right now, alot of people are expecting Alear just out of precedence because of both Engage being the latest game and because of Robin, Corrin and Byleth. It's often why whenever Lyn is brought up, most tend to agree that her chances are low over the latest games' characters unless they were to bring out a Blazing Blade Remake, which would give her that big push and last big chance at getting in.
Yes, a big part of it is the expectation that any FE newcomer would simply be the latest protag. But Lyn also doesn't get the support over other older FE characters relative to what I think she deserves based on her status within the FE fandom/franchise. I think much of it has to do with people viewing the next game's roster as something that will simply be built on top of whatever Ultimate did instead of potentially doing its own thing; this thinking, while understandable, leads to a lot of steam for perceived Echo candidates from FE or stuff that is perceived to be as distanced as possible from the potential "swordfighter" label. If we were simply building an FE roster from the ground up with none of Smash's precedents in mind, then Lyn would be even more of a slam-dunk pick.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not really thrilled about the acquisition if only because corporate consolidation (especially in entertainment) can have some real negative consequences long term, and Bobby Kotick getting an even bigger golden parachute isn't exactly encouraging news in an industry already rife with toxic management going unpunished. Sony's definitely going to have to adjust, though I suspect them acquiring any big developers of their own is off the table given their own financial limitations.

Nintendo is the odd party in all this, now getting COD (likely in cloud form) for the next 10 years, but the fates of the other big IPs (Crash, Spyro, Overwatch, Diablo, etc) is up in the air. This whole thing's effect on Smash is the least important thing, though I guess some Activision characters might be slightly more likely given the prexisting relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ultimately, I wouldn't use looking at the internet, especially fanbase forums, to determine popularity for a character and whatnot.
I'm not though? Overbuff.com no longer shows Overwatch 1 statistics, but for at least a substantial amount of time, D.va was the #1 most picked hero among all players (interestingly enough that title currently goes to Ana who has been a strong pick at all levels of play for all of OW2's lifespan) but D.va still remains in the Top 10 to Top 15 range all the time, with the only other tank above her currently being Reinhardt. She's also basically tied with Mercy as the most popular female character in the game (you're just gonna have to trust me on that one as I'd rather not try and explain HOW I know that).

Think about it this way though: who's more likely to appeal to a Japanese demographic? A kawaii streamer girl or a cockney-speaking pilot? ...or the third option, the cyborg ninja. Let's just say I don't see Sakurai picking Tracer. I see Genji, D.va, or not at all.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m just happy Crash and Spyro will be in the hands of Microsoft. Both of them would translate so well into Smash and are two of my dream picks.
Look, I know the chances are next to none, but if by some miracle we get a Skylanders revival as well as Crash and Spyro thriving, I'd say it was all worth it.

Don't look at me like that, they're all different enough to co-exist! Although the hypothetical "Toys For Bob Banjo-Kazooie Remake" would probably delay my never ever dream...

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Following the steps from the previous games, will the next Smash needs references from upcoming games by the time of it's release?
(64 and Brawl didn't had this)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Which says a lot less than it might appear since the app icon changes yearly to match with the lead of the current book.
It does, but I think Reginn would really be a good WTF surprise to those who don't know Fire Emblem. People just watching the latest Smash Bros. trailer, they see the art style, they groin about another Fire Emblem character, than all of the sudden, this girl riding a centaur Mech just comes in guns a-blazing with bullet shells, rockets and a giant sword to their absolute confusion and going, "Wait, IS this Fire Emblem?!"

Though in all honesty, I'd love for IS to make a mainline Fire Emblem game using FEH's Book 5 aesthetic and setting. Easily my most favorite setting and aesthetic out of all the books and I'd love to see it tried for a mainline Fire Emblem game. Between the classes being adjusted to accommodate the Seidr Mechs and Nidavellir weaponry(like mounts being replaced by Seidr mechs and armoured units using bulky Seidr, guns being used for Magic, etc), the cities having alot more mechanical themes and all the H.R.Giger shenanigans they can do with the dragons.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It does, but I think Reginn would really be a good WTF surprise to those who don't know Fire Emblem. People just watching the latest Smash Bros. trailer, they see the art style, they groin about another Fire Emblem character, than all of the sudden, this girl riding a centaur Mech just comes in guns a-blazing with bullet shells, rockets and a giant sword to their absolute confusion and going, "Wait, IS this Fire Emblem?!"

Though in all honesty, I'd love for IS to make a mainline Fire Emblem game using FEH's Book 5 aesthetic and setting. Easily my most favorite setting and aesthetic out of all the books and I'd love to see it tried for a mainline Fire Emblem game. Between the classes being adjusted to accommodate the Seidr Mechs and Nidavellir weaponry(like mounts being replaced by Seidr mechs and armoured units using bulky Seidr, guns being used for Magic, etc), the cities having alot more mechanical themes and all the H.R.Giger shenanigans they can do with the dragons.
FWIW, it feels like IS wants to do that, too: Awakening's original plot taking place in the modern day, TMS being set in Tokyo, Book 5 of FEH, Three Houses having ACTUAL NUKES at one point... you can't convince me they're not at least a LITTLE interested in the idea.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
i personally don't see any new Non-Nintendo character making it into smash 6 / SSBU Deluxe, Probanly the newest character would be from 2021-2020.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Let’s say each version of Sm4sh had exclusive characters (5 in the Wii U version, 5 in the 3DS version). What characters would you add? For me:

Wii U version
-Ice Climbers
-Toon Link
-Olimar / Alph
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Shulk

3DS version
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Dark Pit
-Paper Mario
-Young Link
-Duck Hunt

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ya'll chose to have a conversation about robots joining smash while im not around when i'm pretty sure i'm the only person here with a robot on their wish list lol

I'm bored, let's do a scenario. Ultimate Deluxe happens on Switch 2. Ultimate Deluxe's main improvements are that it has improved visuals and online play, including rollback netcode. As well as new characters. stages, music, and spirits. All newcomers will have Spirit Boards. also, you can transfer your save data from Ultimate. This is the newcomer selection:

Those highlighted in green are in the base game. Those highlighted in red are the DLC. The Pokemon that you get with the Hisui Pokemon Trainer are Cyndaquil, Dewott, and Hisui Decidueye. Yes, Waluigi and Bomberman are promoted from Assist Trophies.

How would you feel about this scenario?
No Ryunosuke Naruhodo 0/10

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ya'll chose to have a conversation about robots joining smash while im not around when i'm pretty sure i'm the only person here with a robot on their wish list lol

No Ryunosuke Naruhodo 0/10
Nope, both Fulgore (Killer Instinct) and Zero (Mega Man X) are in my top 10 most wanted characters so I actually have 2.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
i personally don't see any new Non-Nintendo character making it into smash 6 / SSBU Deluxe, Probanly the newest character would be from 2021-2020.
I mean, based on your wording, that would only exclude...third party characters that either debuted this year, debuted last year, or don't exist yet.

That's a very small pool to begin with.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I'm a big fan of Fulgore. I also would find Metal Sonic fun as a choice too. And to some degree, Genesect as well~

...Not counting non-game character options, anyway. >.>;

Good Night !

Smash Rookie
I mean, based on your wording, that would only exclude...third party characters that either debuted this year, debuted last year, or don't exist yet.

That's a very small pool to begin with.
Yeah, I doubt the newest character for SSB6 (if it become a thing in the future) exist yet.
Maybe it will be the same case as Roy in Melee. A character whose game hasn't even been released yet.

Top Bottom