• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The last Nintendo Direct didn't show us anything new about Nintendo's next console, it remains to be seen if sometime in the Fall or 2024 they show something about it.
I don't get why people think we'll get a console reveal in a Direct. This never happened. Most we've seen are console revisions like the various 3DSes.

Granted, the Switch was the first actual console to have been in the works after Directs started being a thing (the Wii U was already announced months before the first Direct and the 3DS was already released) but they never revealed it in a Direct anyway, proving my point.

If the Switch is setting a precedent, it'll be that console reveals will always be their own thing, separate of any Direct.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Are we still doing top 10s? I'm going to cheat and combine characters if they appeal pretty much exactly the same way as each other to me.

1. Celebi or Jirachi
2. Void or Dark Matter
3. Other super specific Pokemon I really like (Whimsicott, Togetic, Shaymin, etc)
4. Spamton
5. Bandana Dee
6. Bizarre Mario character nobody asked for but I want (Includes Poochy, Wiggler and Polterpup)
7. Scream Tail
8. Plasm Wraith
9. Mario character people actually want that I like (Includes Waluigi and Toad/Toadette)
10. Fernandez/Fernandeath

The sequel to the Nintendo Switch system...

Wonder how they'll call it.
The Nintendo Pasta. It has the exact same line-up as the Switch except every game devolves into very poorly made creepypastas. Truly the revolutionary console we've all been waiting for.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
The Current State of Every Nintendo Franchise ;
Thoughts ?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we're still doing personal top tens...

Edelgard
Kyle Hyde
Waluigi
Takamaru
Starfy
Sans
Frogger
Spring Man
Mach Rider
Gholdengo

Narrowing it down was a bit tough. Of these I think maybe three or four have good odds lmao.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What will be the HD Rumble for the next console?

Like, what will be a feature gimmick of the console itself that will only be used in like, 5 Nintendo mainline titles and then mostly forgotten about for the rest of the systems life? :wiismith:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
What will be the HD Rumble for the next console?

Like, what will be a feature gimmick of the console itself that will only be used in like, 5 Nintendo mainline titles and then mostly forgotten about for the rest of the systems life? :wiismith:
I’m pretty sure HD Rumble got used in a decent number of games; I think the real feature in that category is the Joycon R’s IR camera. The Labo games used it pretty well, but, beyond that, there was a single minigame in 1-2 Switch, the (optional) heart rate checker in Ring Fit Adventure, a minigame in Vitamin Connection IIRC, and that one third party app on the eShop that lets you see what the camera sees, and I can’t think of any others.

There’s also the gyroscope that’s in the Switch console itself, that also has only pretty obscure uses.

I wonder if they might do some kind of lifestyle thing in the same sort of genre as the Ring Fit heart rate checker, but it allows you to check your activity level and heart rate while playing any game in order to promote you exercise while playing, IDK. Although, the fact that this would support all games would make it not be niche.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
If we're still doing personal top tens...

Edelgard
Kyle Hyde
Waluigi
Takamaru
Starfy
Sans
Frogger
Spring Man
Mach Rider
Gholdengo

Narrowing it down was a bit tough. Of these I think maybe three or four have good odds lmao.
I think Gholdengo has a shot to be a fighter or least a Poke Ball as Pokemon number 1,000. Even got that one video counting up to it. I'd say its main competition right now is Meowscarada(The anime starter) and Tinkaton(the breakout favourite)

Mach Rider could be potential retro rep

Sans and Waluigi still have a decent shot.

Takamaru... maybe if Sakurai decides to pull another Kid Icarus: Uprising
Thoughts ?

It reminds me of the absolute state of Donkey Kong games. I can get why stuff like Kid Icarus Uprising(which was a cult classic with sales that were just okay) can go so long without new games, but Tropical Freeze sold like 4 million. I guess Retro has been busy with Prime 4 recently though...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If Paper Mario was in Smash, ideally I would want to take elements from all the games rather than choose one basis over the other (even though Nintendo would probably want to use the later games as a basis, but that’s besides the point).
Decided to just go ahead and make a moveset. I based him off the first two games and Sticker Star because I figured Sm4sh would be the "ideal" point in time for him to join the battle.
Intro: Paper Mario unfolds and gets ready for battle.

Stance/Idle 1: Paper Mario’s overworld idle stance from the games.
Idle 2: Paper Mario thinks for a second.
Idle 3: Paper Mario adjusts his hat.

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Sticker Star design (default)
  2. Fire Mario (white)
  3. Luigi (green)
  4. Wario (yellow)
  5. Waluigi (purple)
  6. X-Naut (black)
  7. 8-bit Mario (brown)
  8. Super Mario Land sprite (gray)
Walk: His walk from the games.
Dash: Paper Mario loosely imitates the Racoon Mario running animation from Super Mario Bros. 3
Damage: His damage animation from the games.
Jump: His jump from the games, followed by a somersault for the second jump.
Crouch: Paper Mario crouches how he does in the first game.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Paper Mario loosely imitates regular Mario’s jab combo (8%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Slaphammer; Paper Mario swings his hammer to the ground (10%, small knockback)
Up+A: Superguard; Paper Mario hops up and performs a spinning uppercut that hits once (8%, small knockback). Paper Mario’s body is briefly invincible during the attack.
Down+A: Tail Whip; Paper Mario spins along the ground with a Tanooki Tail, tripping opponents (8%, small knockback)
Dash Attack: Spin Dash; Paper Mario spins forward and hits the opponent a single time
Edge Attack: Paper Mario rolls onto the stage (7%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Paper Mario pokes upward by turning into a paper cone (9%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Paper Mario spins forward in midair with his hammer
Air Forward+A: Paper Mario swings his hammer downward (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Spike Helmet; Paper Mario places a Spike Helmet on his back (13%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Paper POW Block; Paper Mario punches a POW Block above himself that causes a shockwave of papercraft stars (12%, OK knockback). Opponents who touch the POW Block right before the shockwave are launched, replacing the shockwave entirely (16%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Ground Pound; Paper Mario front flips once, then falls down and hits the ground with his rear end, with stars appearing on each side of him (11%, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Power Smash; Paper Mario slams his hammer on the ground with considerable force (22%, medium knockback)
Up+A: Tornado Jump; Paper Mario hops up and performs a spinning uppercut that hits multiple times (18%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Spin Hammer; Paper Mario winds up and spins with his hammer to hit opponents around him multiple times (24%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Paper Mario loosely imitates Mario’s grab
Pummel: Eekhammer; Paper Mario bonks the enemy with his hammer (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Fire Flower Toss; Paper Mario tosses the opponent forward like a fireball, complete with fire damage (8%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Fire Drive; Paper Mario uses a Burnhammer to send the opponent flying in the opposite direction (13%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Paper Mario tosses the enemy into the air (7%, small knockback)
Down+Throw: Power Bounce; Paper Mario jumps on the enemy twice, burying them the first time (3%) and launching them the second time (5%, small knockback)

Special Moves
B : Shell Kick; Paper Mario tosses a green shell into the air and kicks it forward (16%, OK knockback). The shell will then return to Paper Mario; if he ignores it, it travels in the opposite direction before disappearing after a bit.
B + ← → : Hurlhammer; Paper Mario rears back and flings his hammer a short distance forward in an arc (10%, small knockback). Holding B until the Action Command reaches the large circle at the end causes Paper Mario to hurl it at a straight angle a longer distance forward (16%, OK knockback). If B is held past the end of the Action Command prompt, Paper Mario accidentally drops the hammer behind him.
B + ↑ : Paper Airplane; Paper Mario turns into a paper airplane and soars through the air in the direction tilted on the control stick, with the tip acting as a hitbox (8%, small knockback). Just keep in mind that once you run out of momentum, Paper Mario enters freefall.
B + ↓ : Handstand; Paper Mario jumps into the air and lands on his hands. Pressing B afterwards has Paper Mario use his hands to leap into the air at greater heights. If used in the air, you have to press B when Paper Mario’s hands are facing the bottom of the stage.

Final Smash: The Ultimate Show; Paper Mario performs a Spin Dash and hits any opponents in the way (5%). Any opponents caught are taken into a cutscene emulating Thousand-Year Door’s battle screen where Paper Mario jumps on their heads multiple times (after which stars fall down) before performing multiple front flips and slamming his hammer on the ground for a massive shockwave (50%, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Paper Mario can damage opponents with his footstool jump (3% with a slight meteor effect, small knockback)

Taunts
Up: Paper Mario jumps up and joyfully extends his arms on both sides.
Side: Paper Mario appeals to the audience by waving at the camera.
Down: Paper Mario gives a thumbs up to the camera.

Winposes
1: Paper Mario flies in as a paper airplane, unfolds, then joyfully extends his arms on both sides.
2: Paper Mario’s victory animation from Sticker Star.
3: Paper Mario hops around and tosses confetti.

Applause: Paper Mario claps for the winner.
Icon: A Super Mushroom
Boxing Ring Title: Paper Powerhouse
Star K.O.: N/A
Victory Music: Battle Won! - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Kirby Hat: Kirby gains a white outline and a cel-shaded art style loosely resembling the GBA and DS Kirby games.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder if they might do some kind of lifestyle thing in the same sort of genre as the Ring Fit heart rate checker, but it allows you to check your activity level and heart rate while playing any game in order to promote you exercise while playing, IDK.
New Eternal Darkness title where it gets spookier every time it detects a heart race increase. :demon:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I get the feeling the next switch won't have a gimmick, and will literally just be a beefier switch. I'd be happy to be wrong, since it's kinda boring if you don't care about graphics.
And for my top 10 if that's still happening (Unordered apart from No. 1):
  1. The Demifiend (Or any SMT rep, but he's the fan-favourite, and I'd like a Kaneko design in smash)
  2. Porky
  3. Adol (Literally just for the music)
  4. Professor Layton
  5. Dante
  6. An Etrian Odyssey rep (No clue who, maybe the fencer?)
  7. Impa
  8. KOS-MOS
  9. X-Parasite (Would transform into various Metroid enemies for attacks)
  10. Ryu Hayabusa (Again, mostly because of the music)
(Also Tatsuya Suou near the top, but there's no real point in mentioning him since there is literally no chance of that ever happening).

Ivander

Smash Legend
New Eternal Darkness title where it gets spookier every time it detects a heart race increase. :demon:
In all honesty, Eternal Darkness sounds like the perfect title to take advantage of the Joy-cons motion rumble/touch sensor thing that 1-2-Switch does. Imagine the game gets you to search for something and while you are searching for it, you "hit" something that isn't there and your Joy-cons react to it. Or your character walks into deep water and your Joy-cons make your hands feel like they are in the water like your character's hands. And so on and so forth.

Like considering the stuff Eternal Darkness pulled on you and your character, that sounds like the perfect title to pull off that kind of mind-boggle on you involving the Joy-cons.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In all honesty, Eternal Darkness sounds like the perfect title to take advantage of the Joy-cons motion rumble/touch sensor thing that 1-2-Switch does. Imagine the game gets you to search for something and while you are searching for it, you "hit" something that isn't there and your Joy-cons react to it. Or your character walks into deep water and your Joy-cons make your hands feel like they are in the water like your character's hands. And so on and so forth.

Like considering the stuff Eternal Darkness pulled on you and your character, that sounds like the perfect title to pull off that kind of mind-boggle on you involving the Joy-cons.
It’s too bad Silicon Knights went defunct nine years go.

Last edited:

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
Thoughts ?

Pretty much the most insane thing I've ever is the guy in this video saying that Chibi-Robo Ziplash is in the same vain as Castlevania.

Also they could've gone into more detail about why some series died. They don't even mention that Treasure Games doesn't make games anymore, when talking about Sin and Punishment.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I saw that video. The guy in it says that Chibi-Robo Ziplash is in the same vain as Castlevania. Chibi-Robo Ziplash.
It is though. Zip Lash isn't good, but it does have nonlinear side scrolling levels. I can see why they'd be compared.

If you're just upset that he compared the two, well then, I'll have you know Zip Lash isn't even the worst Chibi Robo game. That's Photo Finder.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Nintendo Pasta. It has the exact same line-up as the Switch except every game devolves into very poorly made creepypastas. Truly the revolutionary console we've all been waiting for.
Finally.

Earthbound can come back.

Regardless, since others were doing their top ten, I'll include mine.

In no particular order...

• Phoenix Wright
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Impa
  • Isaac
  • Crono
  • Tails
  • Waluigi
  • Big Daddy
  • Skull Kid

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Master Chief
Agumon
Ezio Auditorre
Lara Croft
Ryza
Rayman
Phoenix Wright
Dixie Kong
Scorpion
Jin Kazama

My top 5 are solid as before. Choosing rest was bit challenging.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Is anyone interested in seeing content from smaller third party franchises that have some connection to Nintendo in the next Smash? I’ve brought up RARE enough times but I’d also love to see something from Disgaea and Octopath Traveller among others. While I think an Octopath Traveller character would be awesome, I’d be happy enough with just a stage. The HD2D aesthetic would make for a really unique stage and the games have amazing soundtracks that would fit Smash really well.

Top Bottom