• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I kinda disagree with the general opinion here. I love hubs, first stages and final stages in Smash, because they often represent best the games they come from. The problem is, there are so many of those... If we need one and only one DK stage, for instance, then it must be a jungle. It's only when we have more than one that it becomes important to add some variety.

Besides, I would argue that green, grassy first levels are different enough in every franchise. Green Hills and Mushroom Kingdom do not look the same at all.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think we should also have stages that best represent individual characters in addition to each franchise. Especially for the villains.

I still want Bowser's Castle like most everyone, and a Ganon's tower/castle type of stage wouldn't hurt either (Gerudo Valley doesn't count since Ganon is never seen there in OoT).

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In terms of Donkey Kong stages, I’d like to see Frozen Frenzy from Tropical Freeze as I’d really like to see one of the factory themed stages in Smash. I also think this particular level’s main gimmick, where pulley platforms and seesaws become electrified if they are allowed to move too far in either direction, could potentially work well in a stage.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I'd also really like another Mother stage, I just think there are a lot of fun locations

Also maybe a couple stages based on old arcade games from companies we have in Smash would be cool? People throw around a Namco Museum stage a lot but I think I'd rather have a standalone stage based on something like, say, Mappy or Tower of Druaga

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As far as Donkey Kong stages, Tropical Freeze alone has so many options. Mangrove Cove, Grassland Groove, Volcano Dome, etc.

Also, 25m should've been the OG DK stage in Brawl, but I'm sure most of us can agree on that.
I feel like Ultimate could have used a lot more Tropical Freeze content than we got. I don’t know if we got more than one or two songs. Promoting the game through Smash might have helped the sales of the Switch port too. It’s a shame because David Wise is among my favorite game composers and we don’t have a whole lot of his work from DKC in Smash. At least we got an awesome Gankplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony remix. Gangplank Galleon is especially cool because it’s a cover from one of my old favorite composers by one of my new favorites.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Smash stages in general would improve across the board if they weren't so reliant on using the first levels so often. Yes, they're the most iconic, but they're rarely the most interesting. DKC especially has so much of its potential settings wasted in Smash because the constant insistence on using jungle levels or 75M.
Mario in Ultimate is probably the worst example it has 18 stages and half of them are primarily 1-1s!
Imagine if we got a Underground , dessert, snow, cloud or well A Damn Bowsers Castle
There are so many Grass/ Forest Levels in smash seriously! Theres also no Ganon or dedede Castle And all these 3 castles should be more iconic than a PAtch of Grass!
Also Mario Kart keeping the two 8 circuits but not Rainbow Road (7) Is Outright criminal!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mario in Ultimate is probably the worst example it has 18 stages and half of them are primarily 1-1s!
Imagine if we got a Underground , dessert, snow, cloud or well A Damn Bowsers Castle
There are so many Grass/ Forest Levels in smash seriously! Theres also no Ganon or dedede Castle And all these 3 castles should be more iconic than a PAtch of Grass!
Also Mario Kart keeping the two 8 circuits but not Rainbow Road (7) Is Outright criminal!
Just imagine how great Rainbow Road could have been with updated HD visuals. I’d much rather have a Rainbow Road than two of the first courses.

Speaking of racing stages, who has the rights to Diddy Kong Racing between Nintendo and RARE? That game had a ton of fun tracks that could great for Smash.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah at the end of the day I'd like to see Stages based around the most iconic, memorable, and notable locations in these varied fictional worlds. Doesn't matter if that's the first level of the source, the last level, or something in between.

--

On FE stages, yeah I'd like to see Marth get a stage that's more exclusive to his games. At the least they could try to rework Castle Siege to more directly reference Altea Castle and such. A couple cameos from someone like Caeda could also be cool.
My dream FE stage, though, is the Dragon's Gate from FE7, which could be a companion stage for Lyn.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Just imagine how great Rainbow Road could have been with updated HD visuals. I’d much rather have a Rainbow Road than two of the first courses.

Speaking of racing stages, who has the rights to Diddy Kong Racing between Nintendo and RARE? That game had a ton of fun tracks that could great for Smash.

Talking out my ass but I think Nintendo owns Diddy himself obviously and RARE has everything else

Considering how much Microsoft has allowed Nintendo to use RARE products lately though it wouldn't be out of the question. Also holy **** the DKR OST is bopping so yes please

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Talking out my ass but I think Nintendo owns Diddy himself obviously and RARE has everything else

Considering how much Microsoft has allowed Nintendo to use RARE products lately though it wouldn't be out of the question. Also holy **** the DKR OST is bopping so yes please
Yet another game composed by David Wise. I feel he’s tremendously underrated among gaming composers. He’s done a ton of amazing work like DKC2, Tropical Freeze, Diddy Kong Racing, and Battletoads. I feel like Grant Kirkhope gets all the recognition among RARE composers and while he’s great too, I always preferred Wise’s work.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yet another game composed by David Wise. I feel he’s tremendously underrated among gaming composers. He’s done a ton of amazing work like DKC2, Tropical Freeze, Diddy Kong Racing, and Battletoads. I feel like Grant Kirkhope gets all the recognition among RARE composers and while he’s great too, I always preferred Wise’s work.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I have always been more of a Wise fan than a Kirkhope fan myself, honestly.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's already been mentioned how Sun and Moon didn't get a stage, so I'll say it's criminal how Gangplank Galleon didn't happen. Not even with that music?
Strange, isn't it? I was expecting a stage of that too. It would have made a great stage. Falling cannonballs for the win!

That said, we need more bad guy stages. Those stages don't get much love in Smash Bros.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's already been mentioned how Sun and Moon didn't get a stage, so I'll say it's criminal how Gangplank Galleon didn't happen. Not even with that music?
We probably didn't get Gangplank Galleon because of Pirate Ship, even if GG could've been made a bigger ship.

If we couldn't get Gangplank Galleon, the Flying Krock or Inside K.Rool's Fortress from DK64 as a stage would've been good too.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
We probably didn't get Gangplank Galleon because of Pirate Ship, even if GG could've been made a bigger ship.

If we couldn't get Gangplank Galleon, the Flying Krock or Inside K.Rool's Fortress from DK64 as a stage would've been good too.
At least we have a boxing ring. We can pretend it’s the one from DK64.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It should have had a light fixture obstacle that falls on a player's head in that case. I can imagine that happening being funny.
Don’t we already have that? There is a big platform above the ring you can fight on and knock down.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Don’t we already have that? There is a big platform above the ring you can fight on and knock down.
Yeah, I know, but one that actually makes it so the character can't see, and harder for the player to control them. I am not talking about the fixture crushing the character.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Keep the Great Sea (and make the ship bigger!!) and make a Gang Plank Galleon inspired by DKC2's first level, with lots of ropes and plateform, and Kremlins passing by.

Or just the exact replica of the first DKC's final fight, with Super NES graphics. After all, we have more than one playable ninja, we can have more than one pirate ship.

Also, make Captain K. Rool an alt for King K. Rool, and add a playable Tetra, so we can have the battle of the pirates!!

Oh, and one coffe, please. Thank you very much.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So a couple days ago, I was looking into some older Smash stuff, and I came across this old Source Gaming article:
This is a list of Nintendo IP not in Smash, and it's from the Smash 4 era. It's fascinating to look back on this after Ultimate went ridiculously hard on Nintendo history for its spirit selection.

The IP listed here are shown in various categories that try to explain why they may not be in. Some are from the earrrrrrly days of Nintendo, some are kind of western-centric, some are kind of simple and thus wouldn't have much to pull from, and some he thinks are just plain obscure enough to not get a look. But after all that, there's an "I have no clue" section, for IP that he thinks by all rights made perfect sense for Smash representation but missed the cut.

Out of those 14 big missing IP? 11 made it to Ultimate, leaving only 3 still on the outside looking in: Pro Wrestling, Endless Ocean and KoroKoro Puzzle. Not only that, but 11 more IP in the "probably too obscure" section made it, and we even got one from the Western section (Eternal Darkness), and there's at least one IP Ultimate included that this list outright missed (Saru Band). It's fascinating, and it really goes to show how cool it is that Ultimate went so deep on the Nintendo history well. Seeing so many IP come back that were in Melee and Brawl but not 4, plus finally seeing notable games like Eternal Darkness, Marvelous and GiFTPiA get the Smash nod, is really nice. Cool ****.
For sort-of obvious reasons, this is one of my favorite SG articles. Does anyone know whether or not the SG team will be working on a sequel to this article to talk about what remaining IPs are left to appear in Smash Bros. yet?

By the way, I thought that KoroKoro Puzzle WAS represented by 'proxy', due to Li'l Blue's appearance as a Spirit?

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
TBH, I would’ve traded Pirate Ship for a Gangplank Galleon stage that has some references to Wind Waker.
I'd keep it, every other mainline 3D Zelda has a stage so it'd odd for WW to be the odd man out, particularly with Toon Link as a character. Plus I don't think the cross references would work as well in Gangplank Galleon and there's more then enough material to work with from DKC1 and 2.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For sort-of obvious reasons, this is one of my favorite SG articles. Does anyone know whether or not the SG team will be working on a sequel to this article to talk about what remaining IPs are left to appear in Smash Bros. yet?

By the way, I thought that KoroKoro Puzzle WAS represented by 'proxy', due to Li'l Blue's appearance as a Spirit?
I'm not all too familiar with KoroKoro or Chalien, are they related in some way?

Anyway I'll be honest, I can live without another one of these. Ult made such significant strides in this regard that while there are still a few IP left that are IMO interesting enough to pull from, I just feel like another one of these wouldn't be nearly as fun now that so many of the big missing ones are in

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

As far as I'm aware, the only parts of Diddy Kong Racing that Nintendo owns are Diddy himself and Krunch, due to the latter being a Kremling. Apparently there's a source for that somewhere, but I don't actually know WHERE...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I always got the sense that Diddy Kong Racing was a bit off a mess rights wise, hence why neither Nintendo nor Microsoft has ever ported the original due to characters belonging to both companies as of now.

Top Bottom