• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think my most wanted stage is probably Hornet Hole from Donkey Kong Country 2. Basically make it feel like a section of the actual stage. The sticky honey could make for a fun stage hazard where there could be a small puddle on the floor that you’d need to jump to get out of and it would lock you from just walking across it. That stage has such a cool aesthetic that would be awesome to see in Smash. I feel like DKC could use a bit more varied representation than just a bunch of intro jungle stages. Chemical Plant Zone, Central Highway, Bowser’s Castle and TETRIS are just a few others I’d love and have made in Stage Builder.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
My most wanted stage for Smash is the Senran Kagura pinball table from that spin-off game. :4pacman:

Out of jokes, my REAL most wanted stage is Namco Museum, in which you see elements from Namco history (and some Bandai toys) as easter eggs throughout it.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Has anyone here used Ultimate’s Stage Builder much? My brother and I have made around 25 stages. It’s a great start but I feel there’s still a lot of potential to build on. What would you all like to see improved upon if the feature comes back in the next game?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
When I think of stages, I think of how they can be fun and fair (i.e. Not so boring you might as well be playing on Battlefield, but also not so gimmicky it's borderline unplayable). Here are a few of my Smash dream stages:

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So a couple days ago, I was looking into some older Smash stuff, and I came across this old Source Gaming article:
This is a list of Nintendo IP not in Smash, and it's from the Smash 4 era. It's fascinating to look back on this after Ultimate went ridiculously hard on Nintendo history for its spirit selection.

The IP listed here are shown in various categories that try to explain why they may not be in. Some are from the earrrrrrly days of Nintendo, some are kind of western-centric, some are kind of simple and thus wouldn't have much to pull from, and some he thinks are just plain obscure enough to not get a look. But after all that, there's an "I have no clue" section, for IP that he thinks by all rights made perfect sense for Smash representation but missed the cut.

Out of those 14 big missing IP? 11 made it to Ultimate, leaving only 3 still on the outside looking in: Pro Wrestling, Endless Ocean and KoroKoro Puzzle. Not only that, but 11 more IP in the "probably too obscure" section made it, and we even got one from the Western section (Eternal Darkness), and there's at least one IP Ultimate included that this list outright missed (Saru Band). It's fascinating, and it really goes to show how cool it is that Ultimate went so deep on the Nintendo history well. Seeing so many IP come back that were in Melee and Brawl but not 4, plus finally seeing notable games like Eternal Darkness, Marvelous and GiFTPiA get the Smash nod, is really nice. Cool ****.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Has anyone here used Ultimate’s Stage Builder much? My brother and I have made around 25 stages. It’s a great start but I feel there’s still a lot of potential to build on. What would you all like to see improved upon if the feature comes back in the next game?
-Give more space or have object backgrounds/foregrounds take less space.
-An option for some of the blocks/textures to have different colors.
-An option for Water would be nice. Maybe handle it similarly to how Mario Maker 2 handled water in some level layouts.
-An option for objects where they "activate" when touched or stood on, and then when the character is off, the object moves back to it's start point. Like those grab ropes or platforms in some platforming games.
-More regular backgrounds would be nice.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So a couple days ago, I was looking into some older Smash stuff, and I came across this old Source Gaming article:
This is a list of Nintendo IP not in Smash, and it's from the Smash 4 era. It's fascinating to look back on this after Ultimate went ridiculously hard on Nintendo history for its spirit selection.

The IP listed here are shown in various categories that try to explain why they may not be in. Some are from the earrrrrrly days of Nintendo, some are kind of western-centric, some are kind of simple and thus wouldn't have much to pull from, and some he thinks are just plain obscure enough to not get a look. But after all that, there's an "I have no clue" section, for IP that he thinks by all rights made perfect sense for Smash representation but missed the cut.

Out of those 14 big missing IP? 11 made it to Ultimate, leaving only 3 still on the outside looking in: Pro Wrestling, Endless Ocean and KoroKoro Puzzle. Not only that, but 11 more IP in the "probably too obscure" section made it, and we even got one from the Western section (Eternal Darkness), and there's at least one IP Ultimate included that this list outright missed (Saru Band). It's fascinating, and it really goes to show how cool it is that Ultimate went so deep on the Nintendo history well. Seeing so many IP come back that were in Melee and Brawl but not 4, plus finally seeing notable games like Eternal Darkness, Marvelous and GiFTPiA get the Smash nod, is really nice. Cool ****.
While I absolutely appreciate how deep Ultimate went with Nintendo's more obscure games, I just wish the base game did the same thing for the 3rd parties represented in the base game (i.e. Using as many IP's as it can, both popular and obscure, for Spirits and music, regardless of whether or no they can get a fighter), but at the same time, I understand it would've been a lot more effort in comparison to Nintendo.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I played Endless Ocean as a kid and i legit never realized that it's never been in smash.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
GameFAQs, NeoGAF, and ResetERA are what I call collective Gehenna. I personally wouldn't concern myself too much with any of their dealings, and I speak as someone who did at one point.
Once tweeted how I wish we could get more western reps or something, it got posted to gamefaqs, and at least 2 people said I must be a pedo because of it.

Truly a lawless land. The others you listed are trash too.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I wonder what the list would look like now post-Ultimate. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Smash stages in general would improve across the board if they weren't so reliant on using the first levels so often. Yes, they're the most iconic, but they're rarely the most interesting. DKC especially has so much of its potential settings wasted in Smash because the constant insistence on using jungle levels or 75M.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Smash stages in general would improve across the board if they weren't so reliant on using the first levels so often. Yes, they're the most iconic, but they're rarely the most interesting. DKC especially has so much of its potential settings wasted in Smash because the constant insistence on using jungle levels or 75M.
Pokemon probably has the best ones.
Saffron city, Spear pillar, Lumiose city, and two made up Pokmon stadiums feel like good variety.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
MrMcNuts MrMcNuts Is this the topic you were talking?
Yeah, that looks like it. I read through the whole thread and it’s crazy how people get so upset and casually throw out insults like that. It feels like it’s most of the internet that’s really toxic and not just GameFAQS but this place is pretty chill.

On the topic of JRPG characters vs platform mascots, while I prefer JRPGs overall, I can totally understand how someone who really isn’t into that genre would have a hard time getting excited for Ultimate’s DLC. Sephiroth and Joker were two of my favorite DLC characters but not everyone needs to have the same opinion. JRPGs are actually my favorite genre but there are tons of characters from other genres I’d love to see as well. In fact, there are now more Western characters among my most wanted characters than Japanese characters despite the fact that I spend way more time playing games made in Japan. I think it’s cool that we all have different preferences and I wish we could just discuss what we love without people getting so hostile over it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Once tweeted how I wish we could get more western reps or something, it got posted to gamefaqs, and at least 2 people said I must be a pedo because of it.

Truly a lawless land. The others you listed are trash too.
He was obviously trolling all because you were supporting a character from Ubisoft. His post even got modded for saying that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I am kind of bummed that Pokemon Sun and Moon didn't get a stage. So many cool locations.
that's kind of the downside of Everyone is Here, I guess. I'm glad there was the opportunity to bring so much of Smash's history together, but it did take away a lot of room for new content, which IMO is the most fun part of each Smash game. sometimes I think about what kind of stages we could've gotten had they not been so dead set on bringing almost all of them. a shame

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah, that looks like it. I read through the whole thread and it’s crazy how people get so upset and casually throw out insults like that. It feels like it’s most of the internet that’s really toxic and not just GameFAQS but this place is pretty chill.

On the topic of JRPG characters vs platform mascots, while I prefer JRPGs overall, I can totally understand how someone who really isn’t into that genre would have a hard time getting excited for Ultimate’s DLC. Sephiroth and Joker were two of my favorite DLC characters but not everyone needs to have the same opinion. JRPGs are actually my favorite genre but there are tons of characters from other genres I’d love to see as well. In fact, there are now more Western characters among my most wanted characters than Japanese characters despite the fact that I spend way more time playing games made in Japan. I think it’s cool that we all have different preferences and I wish we could just discuss what we love without people getting so hostile over it.
Thank you

I've never knocked anyone for preferring JRPGs either just that if you don't play that genre at all, that's like half the dlc you most likely won't be excited for. But for some reason people lose their **** if you have that opinion lol

I did once have someone on here type an entire book telling me I'm an idiot for thinking Rayman is likely, and I've had my share of being a menace on here (my bad) but I'd say this place has definitely gotten better and is far more civil than other sites.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Were we talking about stages? Always a fun time when people remember Smash Bros isn't just a picture of the roster!

A few of my own ideas/wants:

-Mario Party, it would be like Isle Delfino crossed with Wario Ware as you fly around various maps with mini-games popping up
-Mario Clash, a two-layer stage in red and black
-Training, an autoscroller with Doc Louis chasing you down the street
-Sprout Tower, it would have a gimmick where the stage kinda sways back-and-forth while you fight
-Chemical Plant Zone, IDK I just think it'd work
-Rhythm Concert, A rhythm heaven stage where the hazards change depending on the music playing
-Pokemon Stadium 3, I think there's enough new stuff since Brawl to make it happen
-FlatZone 3, with four new Game and Watch games
-Gyromite, with the pillars and enemies as stage hazards

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Terms of stages I would want...

Well outside of ones for characters I want to see in the game (Maybe I'll get to that another time), I kinda wanna see a stage based on Tetris, specifically the Game Boy version
Tetris (Game Boy) - YouTube

We have Tetris content in Smash not to mention Nintendo recently got the license back to Tetris (Hence why Tetris 99 is a thing and Game Boy Tetris is on Nintendo Switch Online) so like it's kind of criminal we don't have a stage.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For stages that I’d like, a Pokefloats sequel and a stage from the Sonic Adventure games would be my most wanted.
Also, I’d be happy with something from Mario Party, a Pre-Awakening stage for Fire Emblem, and if Cloud stays, Golden Saucer.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman were to be playable characters, what stages could they bring?

Yeah that reminds me. Poor R.O.B. is the only one in the roster with no real home stage. He gets Wrecking Crew of all things. Been a veteran since Brawl and he's never gotten a stage.
The only reason I can think of is that it is because he originated as a real-life toy.

that's kind of the downside of Everyone is Here, I guess. I'm glad there was the opportunity to bring so much of Smash's history together, but it did take away a lot of room for new content, which IMO is the most fun part of each Smash game. sometimes I think about what kind of stages we could've gotten had they not been so dead set on bringing almost all of them. a shame
The funny thing is that whilst Everyone is Here is a thing, Everything is Here is not. If every single past stage returned, stuff like 75m and Pac-Land returning wouldn’t feel bad, but the fact that it isn’t means there was no real reason to keep 75m (or at the very least not drastically redesign the stage) or Pac-Land (the ugliest stage in Ultimate and not nearly as historically significant as Pac-Maze).

Honestly speaking, since every stage wasn’t going to return, it would have been better to have some more focus on newer stage. Instead of bringing back Kongo Jungle and adding yet another samey DK jungle stage, it would have been better to make a Tropical Freeze stage based off one of its boss battles like Punch Bowl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as stages, I just want a stage from Shadow Dragon or Mystery of the Emblem. Marth has been in every game since Melee and was even planned for 64, but he's never had a stage from his actual games (made even more apparent when he was meant to get one in Melee).

It's not even like the Archanea games are lacking stage options either. Altea Castle, Galder Harbor, the Millennium Palace, the Macedonian Aerie, Chiasmir Bridge, the Fane of Raman, Anri's Way (as a traveling stage covering the Mamorthod Desert, the Flame Barrel, and the Ice Dragon Temple), Khadein, and the Tower of Thabes are all more than viable options. Any of them would be so much better than just defaulting to the non-descript and generic Castle Siege.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As far as stages, I just want a stage from Shadow Dragon or Mystery of the Emblem. Marth has been in every game since Melee and was even planned for 64, but he's never had a stage from his actual games (made even more apparent when he was meant to get one in Melee).

It's not even like the Archanea games are lacking stage options either. Altea Castle, Galder Harbor, the Millennium Palace, the Macedonian Aerie, Chiasmir Bridge, the Fane of Raman, Anri's Way (as a traveling stage covering the Mamorthod Desert, the Flame Barrel, and the Ice Dragon Temple), Khadein, and the Tower of Thabes are all more than viable options. Any of them would be so much better than just defaulting to the non-descript and generic Castle Siege.
I'm just glad we're actually getting stages based on actual locations for Fire Emblem stages now. Arena Ferox and Gareg Mach Monastery are steps in the right direction.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just glad we're actually getting stages based on actual locations for Fire Emblem stages now. Arena Ferox and Gareg Mach Monastery are steps in the right direction.
Oh absolutely lol. I really hope that trend continues for newer Fire Emblem fighters as well.

Quillion

Smash Hero
True, but what non-first stages actually are iconic though?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Truth be told I wouldn't mind stages from less iconic parts of a game if it lead to a more interesting lineup. It's not like it's unprecedented - I hardly think Silph Co., Great Bay, Rainbow Cruise, and Magicant are the most beloved parts of their games.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman were to be playable characters, what stages could they bring?
For Bomberman, i pick a stadium from Super Bomberman R. As for Hayabusa, i'm not into Ninja Gaiden but i think the train from NG 2 or 3 (sorry for misremembering it) would be fun, it is on Famicom Fighters.

Pokëmon Stadium 1 and 2. Those even aren't acknowledge in the spin-off games, the Trading Card Game, the mangas nor the anime, etc.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Truth be told I wouldn't mind stages from less iconic parts of a game if it lead to a more interesting lineup. It's not like it's unprecedented - I hardly think Silph Co., Great Bay, Rainbow Cruise, and Magicant are the most beloved parts of their games.
I totally agree. Smash defaulting to intro stages in most cases left us with a ton of stages with a very similar aesthetic. I think there is so much untapped potential in the types of environments found throughout a whole game that Smash could be utilizing. I can personally go without a ton of grassy field areas for the next game and get something more creative in its place like the inside of a giant hornet hive, an ice cave, an underwater area, and more.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I totally agree. Smash defaulting to intro stages in most cases left us with a ton of stages with a very similar aesthetic. I think there is so much untapped potential in the types of environments found throughout a whole game that Smash could be utilizing. I can personally go without a ton of grassy field areas for the next game and get something more creative in its place like the inside of a giant hornet hive, an ice cave, an underwater area, and more.
I just wish video games as a whole can move away from the generic grass, desert, water, etc. progression, but I also think it's a necessary evil for game design.

Top Bottom