• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I'm just gonna say it

These events are god awful. First time and second time were cute for major holidays, but then immediately afterward taking a Chinese New Year and then Valentine's one is just trying and failing to just keep relevant in conversation, and honestly feels like they're ripping off Overwatch's event model.
Wrong thread, gal.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna say it

These events are god awful. First time and second time were cute for major holidays, but then immediately afterward taking a Chinese New Year and then Valentine's one is just trying and failing to just keep relevant in conversation, and honestly feels like they're ripping off Overwatch's event model.
And they haven't even added any new Spirits or anything!

That's what you were talking about, right?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have to say Multiversus' lost player count is an odd occurrence to base a big online event around, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm just gonna say it

What events are those?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Interesting thing I just saw. Some user on GameFAQS must have seen the Magus moveset I shared here the other day and pretty much copied and pasted his specials and final smash word for word and claimed it was their own idea. I guess I’m flattered in a way that someone liked my moveset enough to try to steal it but it’s definitely weird that someone would do that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting thing I just saw. Some user on GameFAQS must have seen the Magus moveset I shared here the other day and pretty much copied and pasted his specials and final smash word for word and claimed it was their own idea. I guess I’m flattered in a way that someone liked my moveset enough to try to steal it but it’s definitely weird that someone would do that.
somebody nicked the my ideas for kingdom hearts world names for an atrocious fan project they were posting on a forum i'm part of. so i feel ya

Gengar84

Smash Hero
curious if Boss Galaga becomes playable in smash which design do you think Sakurai would have choosen?
Galaga Wars

Galaga 2

Galaga Dimensions

or the original 8 bit version?
I think I’ll take Galaga Wars but they’re all pretty cool. I wonder if Orbeetle from Pokémon took any inspiration from this design. Orbeetle’s one of my favorites so this would be pretty close.

1676552451034.png

This one in particular even matches the colors of one from Galaga Wars.

1676552907628.png

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Did you call them out?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Did you call them out?
I did but I feel a little bad about it. It could just be a kid that really liked my moveset and wanted to impress someone. It’s not like my support thread or even post here really got any replies so I don’t understand the motivation to do something like this. Since I don’t know if we’re allowed to link to GameFAQS here, I’ll just say it’s on the front page of the Smash Ultimate section right now. No one has really responded since I called them out.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
GameFAQs, NeoGAF, and ResetERA are what I call collective Gehenna. I personally wouldn't concern myself too much with any of their dealings, and I speak as someone who did at one point.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I did but I feel a little bad about it. It could just be a kid that really liked my moveset and wanted to impress someone. It’s not like my support thread or even post here really got any replies so I don’t understand the motivation to do something like this. Since I don’t know if we’re allowed to link to GameFAQS here, I’ll just say it’s on the front page of the Smash Ultimate section right now. No one has really responded since I called them out.
Cool! Aafyre what's that? Anyway I've been at gf since like 2001 haha place is still a cesspool :p

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Cool! Aafyre what's that? Anyway I've been at gf since like 2001 haha place is still a cesspool :p
Aafyre’s the name of a character in a story/game my brother and I have been working on since we were kids. He’s a side character so I’m not sure why we went with that. My brother came up with that as a user name many years ago and I use it everywhere besides Smashboards. I made Gengar84 before we started using the name Aafyre for everything. Even my old Brawl mods were under the name Aafyre so I’ve been using it for over a decade. It’s convenient in a way because it always puts our user name at or near the top alphabetically. I’m not sure whether that factored into my brother choosing it.

Here’s our image of Aafyre. The art style is inspired a bit by Fire Emblem:

1676560505121.jpeg

We’ve made over 30 of these character portraits so far and we still have a ways to go. I’m not sure we’ll ever finish but my brothers done a bunch of backstory and made a map of the first area in RPG Maker.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Aafyre’s the name of a character in a story/game my brother and I have been working on since we were kids. He’s a side character so I’m not sure why we went with that. My brother came up with that as a user name many years ago and I use it everywhere besides Smashboards. I made Gengar84 before we started using the name Aafyre for everything. Even my old Brawl mods were under the name Aafyre so I’ve been using it for over a decade. It’s convenient in a way because it always puts our user name at or near the top alphabetically. I’m not sure whether that factored into my brother choosing it.

Here’s our image of Aafyre. The art style is inspired a bit by Fire Emblem:

View attachment 368194

We’ve made over 30 of these character portraits so far and we still have a ways to go. I’m not sure we’ll ever finish but my brothers done a bunch of backstory and made a map of the first area in RPG Maker.
Wow that's... Actually really good! I'd love to see more. Are you the main artist or do you split it between you? Get yer game made so we can root for it as an independent rep in smash!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wow that's... Actually really good! I'd love to see more. Are you the main artist or do you split it between you? Get yer game made so we can root for it as an independent rep in smash!
My brother draws all the characters in pencil and goes over them in ink and scans them. I use photoshop to do all the shading.

I don’t want to flood the thread with my character portraits so I’ll just share a link to our Artstation. That has all our completed portraits we’ve made so far.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
My brother draws all the characters in pencil and goes over them in ink and scans them. I use photoshop to do all the shading.

I don’t want to flood the thread with my character portraits so I’ll just share a link to our Artstation. That has all our completed portraits we’ve made so far.

East Freetown? I grew up in Arlington! Anyways wow just awesome all around very solid. Great lines and color. You two make a good team!

Well I guess the lesson here is that no where is safe from plagiarism lol but clearly yours was posted first so they're prolly not going to press the issue.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
East Freetown? I grew up in Arlington! Anyways wow just awesome all around very solid. Great lines and color. You two make a good team!

Well I guess the lesson here is that no where is safe from plagiarism lol but clearly yours was posted first so they're prolly not going to press the issue.
Thanks. It’s taking us a long time and progress is really slow. We definitely don’t do things anywhere near efficiently so that probably adds to it. I’ve been thinking of pulling a bit more inspiration from a comic style with my shading since I love the harsh black shadows.

I love the art style of the League of Legends Ruined King game so I might experiment with that type of shading as opposed to FE: Awakening and Fates I’m currently drawing inspiration from:

1676563564663.jpeg

I think we’re still a ways off from actual professional artists like this but we’re making progress and I’m happy with how much we’ve improved.

Back to Smash, I just love this style and type of character design so much and it would be awesome to see representation from a game with this style in Smash some day. I still don’t really know what to call it but games like League of Legends, WarCraft, Darksiders, and Soul Reaver are some examples.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Back to Smash, I just love this style and type of character design so much and it would be awesome to see representation from a game with this style in Smash some day. I still don’t really know what to call it but games like League of Legends, WarCraft, Darksiders, and Soul Reaver are some examples.
I call them Awesome but that's just me :D

But yeah over the years each generation of artists influence the next, and blend things and make experimental choices and sometimes it works and sometimes it gets panned. These titles share elements of all kinds of classic genres, and to label them kinda boxes them in unnecessarily.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I call them Awesome but that's just me :D

But yeah over the years each generation of artists influence the next, and blend things and make experimental choices and sometimes it works and sometimes it gets panned. These titles share elements of all kinds of classic genres, and to label them kinda boxes them in unnecessarily.
That makes sense. The only reason I’d like a name for that general style is to make it a bit easier to talk about rather than having to list out a bunch of examples every time. You’re right though that it doesn’t really make a ton of sense to try to group them under one label.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That makes sense. The only reason I’d like a name for that general style is to make it a bit easier to talk about rather than having to list out a bunch of examples every time. You’re right though that it doesn’t really make a ton of sense to try to group them under one label.
Lol I get ya ... 🤔 Dark Anime is the closest I can think of next to Dark Fantasy. If you look up examples of either art style you'll find examples that share most qualities with those games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One thing I’m really hoping for in the next Smash game is a return to interesting stage layouts rather than so many Battlefield variants. Those seem especially pointless when we have Omega and Battlefield forms of every stage. I want to feel like I’m actually fighting in an area, not a random floating platform in front of it. I feel like Smash 64 and Melee already had a great formula for the most part.

Even with modding, there are way more mods that try to make stages closer to the typical Battlefield style in order to make them tournament viable. Almost no one does the opposite and tries to make really creative stage layouts. I’d personally love to see someone take a stage like Hollow Bastion and put the player in the actual castle to make it feel like you’re in the game.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
One thing I’m really hoping for in the next Smash game is a return to interesting stage layouts rather than so many Battlefield variants. Those seem especially pointless when we have Omega and Battlefield forms of every stage. I want to feel like I’m actually fighting in an area, not a random floating platform in front of it. I feel like Smash 64 and Melee already had a great formula for the most part.

Even with modding, there are way more mods that try to make stages closer to the typical Battlefield style in order to make them tournament viable. Almost no one does the opposite and tries to make really creative stage layouts. I’d personally love to see someone take a stage like Hollow Bastion and put the player in the actual castle to make it feel like you’re in the game.
The three Square enix stages in smash are pretty boring whn you think about it, they are the exact same concept.

When it probably would have been more fun if the FF7 and KH stages were inside the dungeons themselves rather than flying around them. Dragon quest's is fine though, i like how we go throught th entire DQ11 world.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The three Square enix stages in smash are pretty boring whn you think about it, they are the exact same concept.

When it probably would have been more fun if the FF7 and KH stages were inside the dungeons themselves rather than flying around them. Dragon quest's is fine though, i like how we go throught th entire DQ11 world.
I think we could have had a decent compromise with Sephiroth’s stage. Just basically do what you did with Bayonetta’s and have chunks of rock float by that you can use as platforms. That would it a little closer to it’s Dissidia counterpart.

Lenidem

Smash Lord

I agree. It's so great, this feeling of putting a character in a game he's not supposed to be in or was never in, like Banjo & Kazooie in Peach's Castle. Small list of the stages that give me the impression of being a portal towards another game:

• Peach's Castle (Melee);
  • Mushroomy Kingdom, although I don't get the post-apocalyptic vibe...;
  • Rainbow Cruise (more or less);
  • the 3D Land level;
  • the Mario Kart stages;
  • the F-Zero stages;
  • the bridge to the Gerudo valley;
  • the pirate ship (but it's way too small);
  • the Great Fox (but it's way too small, again);
  • Dream Land's Game Boy version;

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I agree. It's so great, this feeling of putting a character in a game he's not supposed to be in or was never in, like Banjo & Kazooie in Peach's Castle. Small list of the stages that give me the impression of being a portal towards another game:

• Peach's Castle (Melee);
  • Rainbow Cruise (more or less);
  • the 3D Land level;
  • the Mario Kart stages;
  • the F-Zero stages;
  • the bridge to the Gerudo valley;
  • the pirate ship (but it's way too small);
  • the Great Fox (but it's way too small, again);
  • Dream Land's Game Boy version;
Maybe my memory was bad but was the Great Fox a lot bigger in Sector Z in Smash 64 than it was in later games with Corneia? I felt like that stage felt right back then. Other stages could use a little scaling up to be a bit more immersive to feel like you’re actually playing in that environment. Fourside is another that feels a bit too small.

I feel like a lot of modern stages don’t really take advantage of the platform aspect of Smash’s genre as a platform fighter. That’s one thing I always tried to focus on in Stage Builder. I just wish we could make the stages a little better visually.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Mushroomy Kingdom, although I don't get the post-apocalyptic vibe...;
Maybe it was because of a trend during Brawl's time where Japanese video game companies made grittier and gloomy versions of classic games.
or as Matt McMuscles said "Appeal to The West".

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I think it was just to point out the fact that Super Mario Bros. is an old game, so everything there is just a wasteland now.

Though, what I would really hope is that they combine that stage with the NES-style design, so that it could look completely like the first stage in that game.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Maybe it was because of a trend during Brawl's time where Japanese video game companies made grittier and gloomy versions of classic games.
or as Matt McMuscles said "Appeal to The West".
Basically the reason why Twilight Princess is so "Mature" And i dont have an issue with mature stories more with things like THIS:
Normal Zeldas: Slimes with Faces
Twilight Princess: WoRm!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still really miss part 2 of Mushroomy Kingdom. I think that was probably my favorite Smash stage ever.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Maybe my memory was bad but was the Great Fox a lot bigger in Sector Z in Smash 64 than it was in later games with Corneia? I felt like that stage felt right back then. Other stages could use a little scaling up to be a bit more immersive to feel like you’re actually playing in that environment. Fourside is another that feels a bit too small.

I feel like a lot of modern stages don’t really take advantage of the platform aspect of Smash’s genre as a platform fighter. That’s one thing I always tried to focus on in Stage Builder. I just wish we could make the stages a little better visually.
You're right, in Smash 64, the Great Fox is as huge as it is supposed to be. And it was a great stage, downising it felt totally unnecessary.

Concerning Mushroomy Kingdom, yes, I know that its look is partly due to Brawl's "dark" esthetic, and partly to the attempt to show an old forgotten place who has been neglected for years... But it's a miss for me. This is not Super Mario Bros. Alas.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Corneria is much smaller, yep. It also has a gun in the bottom front that of the Great Fox can be used as a temporary platform(till you destroy the gun). Besides that, it has the unique dialogue options you can set up, akin to Snake's Codecs.

They're functionally different stages. They only have the basic same layout... if you ignore the differences as noted. I think the way characters bounce off the tail end could possibly be different a bit too? I'm not sure the shape is different there.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Hmm you know what i keep that in mind when pigs fly and im asked by sakurai to make a stage based on my series!

Top Bottom