• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As much as I’d love to see Nightmare, Astaroth, or Ogremon in Smash, I think I might want either Velvet Crowe or a tag team of Alphen and Shionne from Tales even more. I’ve been a big fan of the Tales series and Velvet and Shionne are my favorite main characters from the series. Lloyd is probably the most likely but I never particularly cared much about him as a character. Yuri is a great character but I think he’s a little basic both visually and moveset wise to be truly exciting as a Smash rep compared to Velvet or Alphen/Shionne. Unfortunately, I think the possibility of a Noah/Mio team hurts the chances of seeing Alphen/Shionne. I don’t really see them adding two pairs of JRPG protagonists in the same game. That’s one reason I think a permanent Ouroboros fusion form for the latter would be cool.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Tbh I think Yuri could be pretty interesting in Smash, the Overlimit mechanic is very fleshed out in Vesperia compared to the other entries, I think it has a lot of potential to make him an interesting character. His base moveset is pretty interesting too, he has a katana and throws in boxing and kickboxing moves, he could be pretty fun.

Of course I’d love Velvet too.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Tbh I think Yuri could be pretty interesting in Smash, the Overlimit mechanic is very fleshed out in Vesperia compared to the other entries, I think it has a lot of potential to make him an interesting character. His base moveset is pretty interesting too, he has a katana and throws in boxing and kickboxing moves, he could be pretty fun.

Of course I’d love Velvet too.
Yeah that’s true. I certainly wouldn’t complain if we got Yuri in Smash. I loved him as a character. He’s probably my next choice after Velvet and Alphen/Shionne. Yuri was more interesting character-wise than Alphen so I’d go with him over Alphen alone if I had to choose. It’s possible that Berseria and Arise are just fresher in my mind than Vesperia so I may be underestimating Yuri’s potential for a really interesting moveset. It might also be Yuri’s choice of weapon that doesn’t really stand out much compared to the Fire Emblem cast, though he does play differently. To be fair, I did main Rita in Vesperia so I never had quite as much experience with Yuri.

While it may not really represent Yuri’s moveset perfectly, I think some kind of pairing with Repede would be awesome in Smash. Maybe something a little closer to Rosalina and Ice Climbers where both characters are active at once than a straight tag/transform mechanic could be fun. Yuri has plenty of potential as a stand-alone fighter but I think the inclusion of Repede into his moveset would definitely make him stand out in Smash compared to the other sword users.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah that’s true. I certainly wouldn’t complain if we got Yuri in Smash. I loved him as a character. He’s probably my next choice after Velvet and Alphen/Shionne. Yuri was more interesting character-wise than Alphen so I’d go with him over Alphen alone if I had to choose. It’s possible that Berseria and Arise are just fresher in my mind than Vesperia so I may be underestimating Yuri’s potential for a really interesting moveset. It might also be Yuri’s choice of weapon that doesn’t really stand out much compared to the Fire Emblem cast, though he does play differently. To be fair, I did main Rita in Vesperia so I never had quite as much experience with Yuri.

While it may not really represent Yuri’s moveset perfectly, I think some kind of pairing with Repede would be awesome in Smash. Maybe something a little closer to Rosalina and Ice Climbers where both characters are active at once than a straight tag/transform mechanic could be fun. Yuri has plenty of potential as a stand-alone fighter but I think the inclusion of Repede into his moveset would definitely make him stand out in Smash compared to the other sword users.
A pairing with Repede would be nice if they could find a way to make it work but I imagine it’d mostly be an original moveset since they have different moves, I feel like him being standalone would be much less intensive honestly, there’s plenty you could pull from his kit to make him stand out,

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A pairing with Repede would be nice if they could find a way to make it work but I imagine it’d mostly be an original moveset since they have different moves, I feel like him being standalone would be much less intensive honestly, there’s plenty you could pull from his kit to make him stand out,
I can’t remember exactly, was Yuri paired with Repede in Project X Zone? I vaguely remember something to that effect. If so, there’s at least some precedent for pairing the two in a crossover game. You’re right though that he does have enough on his own for a fully fleshed out moveset. I’m just trying to brainstorm ideas to make characters stand out for the average Smash fan that may not be as familiar with a character’s exact kit. On the surface, swordsman with dog companion just sounds cooler than swordsman who also punches. I’d be fine either way though.

It’s not just Yuri how I think like this though. I try to find ways for every character to differentiate themselves as much as possible whenever they have any obvious unique trait that no one else currently does. That’s one reason I prefer an Alphen/Shionne tag pair to just Alphen alone. While his moves may be different, Roy and Pyra already have the whole flaming swordsman/woman theme. I also feel like Alphen and Shionne’s playstyles play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses perfectly, both mechanically and in lore. Finally, I just like Shionne more than Alphen and this would be the most logical way to get her.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I can’t remember exactly, was Yuri paired with Repede in Project X Zone? I vaguely remember something to that effect.
No, Yuri was paired with Estelle in PxZ1 and Flynn in PxZ2. IIRC, Repede was mentioned in one of the pre-battle dialogues.

That being said, I kinda wish Yuri was paired with Lloyd in the first game.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I can’t remember exactly, was Yuri paired with Repede in Project X Zone? I vaguely remember something to that effect. If so, there’s at least some precedent for pairing the two in a crossover game. You’re right though that he does have enough on his own for a fully fleshed out moveset. I’m just trying to brainstorm ideas to make characters stand out for the average Smash fan that may not be as familiar with a character’s exact kit. On the surface, swordsman with dog companion just sounds cooler than swordsman who also punches. I’d be fine either way though.

It’s not just Yuri how I think like this though. I try to find ways for every character to differentiate themselves as much as possible whenever they have any obvious unique trait that no one else currently does. That’s one reason I prefer an Alphen/Shionne tag pair to just Alphen alone. While his moves may be different, Roy and Pyra already have the whole flaming swordsman/woman theme. I also feel like Alphen and Shionne’s playstyles play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses perfectly, both mechanically and in lore. Finally, I just like Shionne more than Alphen and this would be the most logical way to get her.
He was paired with Estelle in PXZ1 and Flynn in PXZ2

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
These were apparently datamined in NSO for the GBA.

Some of this was already confirmed but Some of these other options are weird, seeing as Battle Network and Castlevania are already on Switch and the games that arent bizzare.
Astro boy and Super robot wars specifically seem like odd picks for NSO.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Some of this was already confirmed but Some of these other options are weird, seeing as Battle Network and Castlevania are already on Switch and the games that arent bizzare.
that’s the old list from well over a year ago when the rumour first started right? I imagine it’s been changed a bit

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It is now time for me to spread Lloyd propoganda.

Not to knock Yuri or Alphen. They're awesome.

But Lloyd, is the perfect choice.

He's got like two swords. That's double the potential hype.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Battle Network, Castlevania and MMZero are more than likely gone because of their collections. Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town is a big maybe because last time I checked, that had a re-release alongside More Friends of Mineral Town to recent systems and that would certainly put down Harvest Moon coming to GBA.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team

Barring the games that are probably off the table because of the collections; if the OG Chain of Memories came to NSO, I'd be a happy boy.
It is now time for me to spread Lloyd propoganda.

Not to knock Yuri or Alphen. They're awesome.

But Lloyd, is the perfect choice.

He's got like two swords. That's double the potential hype.
Again, he should've been PAIRED WITH YURI IN PXZ1

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Battle Network, Castlevania and MMZero are more than likely gone because of their collections. Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town is a big maybe because last time I checked, that had a re-release alongside More Friends of Mineral Town to recent systems and that would certainly put down Harvest Moon coming to GBA.
It also probably doesnt help that the Harvest moon devs lost the "Harvest Moon" name. I dont know if that would prevent re-releases but i would imagine a lot of negotiations would have to take place for that.

The one i'm interested in is of course Super Robot Wars, it's interesting that this game would be considered since it's still a relatively niche thing in the west. There's nothing really stopping the game from getting re-released or anything sinc it doesnt have the same legal red tape other games in the series do it's just a weird choice.

I see it as a win either way tbh
View attachment 368125
And i'm both.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It also probably doesnt help that the Harvest moon devs lost the "Harvest Moon" name. I dont know if that would prevent re-releases but i would imagine a lot of negotiations would have to take place for that.

The one i'm interested in is of course Super Robot Wars, it's interesting that this game would be considered since it's still a relatively niche thing in the west. There's nothing really stopping the game from getting re-released or anything sinc it doesnt have the same legal red tape other games in the series do it's just a weird choice.
I don't think it does, as the SNES Harvest Moon is on the Switch Online in Japan and supposedly, Harvest Moon 64 is going to be released on the Japan NSO this year. Unless it uses a different name from Harvest Moon in Japan.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think it does, as the SNES Harvest Moon is on the Switch Online in Japan and supposedly, Harvest Moon 64 is going to be released on the Japan NSO this year. Unless it uses a different name from Harvest Moon in Japan.
It's called story of seasons in Japan, they lost the name in the west and had to change it to Story of seasons worldwide.

That's why the SNES Harvest moon isnt in th western NSO, that makes it weird that the list specifies the english version of Friends of mineral town.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah I’m really not sure why Yuri needed to be paired with Lloyd when literally the only relation they have is that they’re both commonly debated on which would be chosen for Smash Bros.

Whereas he has pre-established relationships with Flynn and Estelle so it makes sense for them to be together, if you’re randomly going to have him paired with another protagonist you could make a case for Cress I suppose because they were rivals in Tales Vs on the PSP but I’m not really sure where Lloyd is coming from here.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
.....Why? Lloyd and Yuri both have their own party members they can have more interesting dynamics and chemistry with. Just shoving two unrelated popular characters together does not a good pair make
Yeah I’m really not sure why Yuri needed to be paired with Lloyd when literally the only relation they have is that they’re both commonly debated on which would be chosen for Smash Bros.

Whereas he has pre-established relationships with Flynn and Estelle so it makes sense for them to be together, you could make a case for Cress I suppose because they were rivals in Tales Vs on the PSP but I’m not really sure where Lloyd is coming from here.
Okay yeah, I’m gonna be honest; their popularity was the only real reason I wanted to pair them up, so I understand it might not make much sense as far as chemistry.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You just know they abandoned Battle network the moment they found out about the Legacy collection.
I'd be surprised if those two Castlevanias showed up either, what with them being on their own collection now.

I also balked at Astro Boy, given that it's licensed. But then I guess Goldeneye DID happen.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So anyways umm, probably the prospect that excites me most about Tales content in Smash is the potential for Skits
1676416709126.jpeg

Just imagine this, it'd be like Codecs and Guidances where you could have conversations via taunting about the character you're fighting with whatever party they choose.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So anyways umm, probably the prospect that excites me most about Tales content in Smash is the potential for SkitsView attachment 368129
Just imagine this, it'd be like Codecs and Guidances where you could have conversations via taunting about the character you're fighting with whatever party they choose.
Oooooh, i didnt even THINK of that! That's a good idea!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So anyways umm, probably the prospect that excites me most about Tales content in Smash is the potential for SkitsView attachment 368129
Oh yeah! The skits are probably my favorite part of the whole series. There’s just so many fun and memorable moments for those and they really help convey the characters’ personalities and party dynamic. That could be a lot of fun seeing it incorporated into Smash in some way.

I have a feeling I’m alone here but does anyone else think about modding potential for possible newcomers? That’s one reason I love to have as varied of archetypes as we can get. For example, if we were to get Yuri with Repede, there’s a lot you can do with that like Karen and Houndoom, Giovanni and Persian, or H’aanit with Linde. Lloyd’s dual swords could allow for a good Leonardo from TMNT. Again, I don’t think this is something many people care about but I often find myself thinking about stuff like that.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay going back to this idea, since Yuri has met some of the Smash bros fighters in PXZ have a small nod to the fact that Yuri, Flynn and Estelle have met them before.

Like if he fights Chrom the gang says something like:
"I'm so glad we got to see him again."
"I kind of wanted to cross swords with him last time we met but didnt get the chance too."

Or something referential like that before explaining his fighting style.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Anyways, lemme do a write-up on factors that make me see Lyn for the next game.
View attachment 367945
First thing’s first she won CYL1 in the woman’s bracket.
View attachment 367947
And if you look at the votes she got she actually won by a landslide, it wasn’t even a competition really (unless you count Ike having two variants but I digress)View attachment 367943
Then you have the fact that after the fact she became a recurring character, starting with Fire Emblem Warriors which outside of Celica, she was the only character in the game that did not come from one of the main three represented.
View attachment 367949
She also was the Emblem chosen for Blazing Blade in Engage‘s base game, and halfway through the game plays a very big role in the story along with Lucina.
View attachment 367950
Then there is the matter of her alts, she currently has the most alts of any character in all of Fire Emblem Heroes, only tied with Camilla.
View attachment 367951
That image wasn’t even all of them.
View attachment 367952
Lastly there is the matter of her statue, many Fire Emblem characters have gotten statues but I think it speaks volume that she was able to get one despite not being a recent character herself, designed by her original artist nonetheless.

Lyn became a breakout character in 2017, this was two years after Ultimate finished planning. I don’t think they were remotely aware of just how popular she was at the time. However another Smash game could be a chance to rectify that, as I think her popularity and recurring status bodes well for her chances.
View attachment 367953
I’m just quoting this post cause I really like it a lot and it really hammers home the absolute absurdity that Lyn hasn’t made it in yet.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
On the topic of Lyn, idk I don’t usually say characters are “Missing” from Smash but I think Lyn is one you could easily justify saying is, she’s like probably(?) one of the biggest Nintendo characters not in the game yet?

Like I think it says something that whereas most classic Fire Emblem characters gained their popularity through Smash, she got her popularity without it. Especially in a mainstream sense that is pretty impressive.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On the topic of Lyn, idk I don’t usually say characters are “Missing” from Smash but I think Lyn is one you could easily justify saying is, she’s like probably(?) one of the biggest Nintendo characters not in the game yet?

Like I think it says something that whereas most classic Fire Emblem characters gained their popularity through Smash, she got her popularity without it. Especially in a mainstream sense that is pretty impressive.
I’d be happy to see Lyn in Smash. I started with Path of Radiance so I haven’t played her game but she looks cool and is voiced by my favorite voice actress (Wendee Lee and Luci Christian are about tied). I particularly like her modern design in Fire Emblem Warriors.

It would be refreshing to see Fire Emblem take a bit of a break from just defaulting to whoever the lord of the newest game is. I feel similarly with Pokémon and getting a bit too predictable lately with going with one of the starters of the most recent Gen. There are plenty of legacy characters as well as non lords or starters in each series that it’s a shame to me to just go with the safe choice every time.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

There goes another game people were hyping up as a Smash Killer. First NASB, now this.

Although I guess that means now Mortal Kombat would HAVE to come to Smash? Even though these are barely connected to one another. You know somebody's gonna try pulling that one out...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

There goes another game people were hyping up as a Smash Killer. First NASB, now this.

Although I guess that means now Mortal Kombat would HAVE to come to Smash? Even though these are barely connected to one another. You know somebody's gonna try pulling that one out...
Literally nobody worth listening to was calling either of them a Smash Killer. It was limited to internet reactionaries and clickbait youtubers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
personally i always find it curious when people call any game a killer for another game. i wonder how long people have been saying it for
It's a really weird form of tribalism, almost like a smaller scale version of console wars.

But in these cases it's especially weird because only an extremely small number of people (and usually ones in bad faith at that) were giving them the "Smash Killer" billing, and yet Smash fans feel the need to take a victory lap about it not being the case. Like, yeah...congrats, your multimillion dollar juggernaut didn't get dethroned by the equivalent of a little league team. Real big accomplishment that doesn't feel like punching down at all!

Just weird vibes all around.

Top Bottom