• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

So, thoughts…

It looks better than SwSh, probably around where Arceus looked. It still doesn’t look amazing tho graphically in terms of the overworld. I hope like Arceus this was a rougher first impression and they polish it up a bit before release.

I praised SwSh for its social aspects, and this is taking that further. Being able to adventure with friends at the same time is going to be great at least locally. I am hoping that it ends up having some online functionality with that.

New Pokémon look alright. Nothing I fell in love with immediately, tho the new legendaries are pretty sick. I still like the starters the best, they are just so well designed and emotive. I honestly think this is the best batch of new starters we have gotten since Gen 4: there isn’t a single one I dislike. Here’s hoping none of them pull a Sobble and have their evolution line completely ruin the Pokémon for me.

Some of my complaints from SwSh have not been answered obviously. Until they outright say so, assume national dex is gone again despite it being a terrible idea. I’m also not pressing my luck that the writing will be halfway competent. I’m hoping we at least get a SuMo tier campaign without the handholding. SwSh had such a bad campaign. Nothing yet for postgame either tho that makes sense. I’m also sure there is a new gimmick in store. I hope it isn’t as intrusive and bad as dynamic.

So so far decent, but like with Arceus I will need to see more to truly feel it’s great. You have my curiosity right now more than Sword and Shield ever did at least.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well there’s our version mascots for this gen

For the first time, you get a different professor to help you in the respected versions. Legendaries look sick, but torn on which version should I choose. Also, last part of the video before the end may display trading pokemon worldwide or transporting them from Pokemon Home as a representation warping from Time and Space.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well there’s our version mascots for this gen

koraidon for scarlet and miraidon for vi

others are, pawmi the electric type, lechonk, the normal and smoliv a grass/normal
I think I’m going to to try something I haven’t been able to do before. I want to know as little as possible about these games before playing them. I think it would be a fun experience discovering brand new Pokémon I’ve never seen before as I’m playing the game. I just don’t know if I have the willpower to avoid trailers for that long lol. Obviously I know it will be almost impossible to go in completely blind because I’m inevitably going to see some things.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I will do the same to avoid spoilers past small trailers nintendo keeps dropping. Though, near the release date is when THOSE people will try to display the gameplay footage to the whole world. For now, we are safe.

Also, what is the pokemon you want in your team if Pokemon Home services is available? Honestly, Nidoran and Ralts will migrate first since they did manage to hold my battles in past generation games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I will do the same to avoid spoilers past small trailers nintendo keeps dropping. Though, near the release date is when THOSE people will try to display the gameplay footage to the whole world. For now, we are safe.

Also, what is the pokemon you want in your team if Pokemon Home services is available? Honestly, Nidoran and Ralts will migrate first since they did manage to hold my battles in past generation games.
Most new generations, I try to focus on using exclusively brand new Pokémon from that generation for the playthrough. I’ll bring over everyone once I beat the Elite Four (or whatever the equivalent in this game is). If I can manage to avoid spoilers, I think it would be fun to rotate out a ton of new Pokémon until they evolve to see what they evolve into and switch to another. Once I feel like I’ve seen everything, I’ll form a team of my favorites from that Gen.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Most new generations, I try to focus on using exclusively brand new Pokémon from that generation for the playthrough. I’ll bring over everyone once I beat the Elite Four (or whatever the equivalent in this game is).
Have you also decided which starter to begin your new journey? I'm currently stuck with either Quaxly or Sprigatito.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Have you also decided which starter to begin your new journey? I'm currently stuck with either Quaxly or Sprigatito.
I think I want Fuecoco. My friend is picking Sprigatito and my brother is stuck with Quaxley because we all want to use a different starter. I don’t even want to know what their evolutions look like before I evolve them. That should be a fun experience all playing together and showing each other when we evolve our starters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think I’m going to to try something I haven’t been able to do before. I want to know as little as possible about these games before playing them. I think it would be a fun experience discovering brand new Pokémon I’ve never seen before as I’m playing the game. I just don’t know if I have the willpower to avoid trailers for that long lol. Obviously I know it will be almost impossible to go in completely blind because I’m inevitably going to see some things.
well i think ill be posting future trailers in spoiler boxes so youll be ok on that front

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Still on Pokémon? My god. Anyways, to hopefully steer away from Pokémon a tiny bit, who would y’all choose for every Third Party Company in Smash if they were to get another rep?
Request denied apparently^^;

I have nothing further on Pokemon. My assessment is thus: like any other beloved Franchises Nintendo Owns "... there are hits... And there are misses."

I am not one to judge this Merit per installment because the only game I really take seriously is the card game. Come at me with jo h'dek-sun!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Request denied apparently^^;

I have nothing further on Pokemon. My assessment is thus: like any other beloved Franchises Nintendo Owns "... there are hits... And there are misses."

I am not one to judge this Merit per installment because the only game I really take seriously is the card game. Come at me with jo h'dek-sun!
Lol, I tried at least. Funny thing is, even with the limitation of one new rep for each existing third party developer, those characters were still all pretty close to the top of my most wanted list overall, even if a lot of my favorites tend to skew towards Microsoft and Square-Enix.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Still on Pokémon? My god. Anyways, to hopefully steer away from Pokémon a tiny bit, who would y’all choose for every Third Party Company in Smash if they were to get another rep?
Square - Neku (The World Ends With You)
Microsoft - Crash Bandicoot
Sega - Alis Landale (Phantasy Star) or Dr. Eggman
Capcom - Dante (Devil May Cry)
Konami - Alucard (Castlevania)
Bandai Namco - Lloyd Irving (Tales)
SNK - Iori Yagami (KOF)
Disney - Roxas (KH)

Sprigatito for me. I love its first form and unless its evolutions suck I will probs go with it. That being said, at least both are good fallback options. Gen 8 I was gonna go with Sobble... and then Drizzile and Inteleon made the Sobble line the worst starters ever made so I am glad I bailed on that.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Aside from KOS-MOS and Terra, I never really though too hard on more characters from the existing third parties, if I'm being honest. Though while I am open to surprises in seeing what new franchises could be added, since it's now proven that a single third-party series can feature more characters, that does keep things nice and simple for me.

Konami - Bomberman
Sega - Tails
Capcom - Zero
Bandai-Namco - KOS-MOS
Square-Enix - Terra Branford
Microsoft - Fulgore
Disney - (Oh come on, must we count them? They're effectively only one eligible franchise that's Square-Enix anyway, but fine....) Axel

New Pokémon look alright. Nothing I fell in love with immediately, tho the new legendaries are pretty sick. I still like the starters the best, they are just so well designed and emotive. I honestly think this is the best batch of new starters we have gotten since Gen 4: there isn’t a single one I dislike. Here’s hoping none of them pull a Sobble and have their evolution line completely ruin the Pokémon for me.
Nah. Given the past three freakin' generations or so, you can expect the final evolutions of the starters to resemble RPG job classes more than some kind of animal with a variable personality. I'm usually fine with the new Pokemon that each generation introduces (even if I hate the generation itself), but I really can't say I'm fond of this particular on-going design trend.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Aside from KOS-MOS and Terra, I never really though too hard on more characters from the existing third parties, if I'm being honest. Though while I am open to surprises in seeing what new franchises could be added, since it's now proven that a single third-party series can feature more characters does keep things nice and simple for me.

Konami - Bomberman
Sega - Tails
Capcom - Zero
Bandai-Namco - KOS-MOS
Microsoft - Fulgore
Disney - (Oh come on, must we count them? They're effectively only one eligible franchise that's Square-Enix anyway, but fine....) Axel

Nah. Given the past three freakin' generations or so, you can expect the final evolutions of the starters to resemble RPG job classes more than some kind of animal with a variable personality. I'm usually fine with the new Pokemon that each generation introduces (even if I hate the generation itself), but I really can't say I'm fond of this particular on-going design trend.
what rpgs have you been playing with wrestler and footballer as classes?

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
what rpgs have you been playing with wrestler and footballer as classes?
Well, they are NPC Trainer classes within Pokemon itself, for one thing.
My point is that the full-evolved starters nowadays resemble some kind of HUMAN occupation rather than anything...... well, bestial. And it's a shame considering they JUST got done finishing up the previous obnoxious trend of Fire/Fighting-types.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, they are NPC Trainer classes within Pokemon itself, for one thing.
My point is that the full-evolved starters nowadays resemble some kind of HUMAN occupation rather than anything...... well, bestial. And it's a shame considering they JUST got done finishing up the previous obnoxious trend of Fire/Fighting-types.
I agree. I miss when most Pokémon just felt like creatures instead of being so blatant in referencing a particular thing. Sure, we always had Pokémon like Hitmonchan and Mr. Mime but it seems like we’ve been getting more and more lately, especially starters. I don’t mind a few humanoid Pokémon every once in a while but I don’t think that should be the default for almost every starter.

That said, I’m not hating on newer designs overall. I love Orbeetle, Toxtricity, Corviknight, Sneasler, and Hisuian Zoroark. I just wish we’d get a few more designs on the simpler side like the earlier starters.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I got an idea; what if there's multiple invincibility items but you only get to choose one for a match? Either the Super Star from Mario, Invincible Candy from Kirby, or Invincibility Barrier from Sonic.

Konami: Bill/Lance (Contra)
SEGA: Nahobino (Shin Megami Tensei)
Capcom: Arthur (Ghosts n' Goblins)
Namco: Mitsurugi (Soul Calibur)
Square Enix: Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Microsoft: Doom Slayer (Doom)
SNK: Athena (Psycho Soldier)
Disney: Riku (Kingdom Hearts)

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Ah, crap. I forgot SNK (and Atlus? Do they count, or are they just Sega?). To be honest, I just copy/pasted and edited the list that Gengar84 posted earlier.

SNK - Nakoruru
Atlus - Jack Frost

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
On the topic of 3rd parties, I’m gonna be doing a mix of fighters, AT’s and Spirits
  • Konami: Frogger (Spirit)
  • SEGA: Dr. Eggman (fighter)
  • Capcom: Red Arremer (Assist Trophy)
  • Namco: Solaire (Assist Trophy)
  • Square Enix: Neku (Assist Trophy)
  • Atlus: Futaba Sakura (Assist Trophy)
  • Microsoft: Mumbo Jumbo (Assist Trophy)
  • SNK: Nakoruru (Assist Trophy)
  • Disney: Riku (Assist Trophy)
I have a more general list

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ah, crap. I forgot SNK (and Atlus? Do they count, or are they just Sega?). To be honest, I just copy/pasted and edited the list that Gengar84 posted earlier.

SNK - Nakoruru
Atlus - Jack Frost
I was counting Atlus as Sega but I really liked Makoto from Persona 5, Kanji from Persona 4, and Mitsuru from Persona 3. Not that any of them have any real chance but I’d go with one of them if it were completely up to me.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

If this keeps up, then Sans may as well be a shoe-in for the next Smash...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Microsoft - Fulgore

Sega - Akira

Capcom - Chun-Li

Konami - Alucard

Disney - Mickey Mouse

Bandai-Namco - Mitsurugi

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Microsoft - Fulgore

Sega - Akira

Capcom - Chun-Li

Konami - Alucard

Disney - Mickey Mouse

Bandai-Namco - Mitsurugi
Fulgore’s a very close second to the Toads and I’d be almost equally happy. Killer Instinct has always been the fighting game that’s resonated the most with me since the SNES (besides Smash). Just imagining getting the amazing 2013 soundtrack in a Smash game is enough to get me hyped. Soul Calibur is my other favorite fighting game series after Smash and KI so Mitsurugi would be awesome too (even if I’d go with Nightmare or Astaroth personally).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Assuming this is a new game, so assist trophies are eligible...

Konami: Bomberman (glad that he made it into Smash 4 as an assist trophy, at least, but a playable spot would be nice)

Sega: Dr. Eggman (it seems a little weird that we don't have a second Sonic character - Tails & Knuckles would also be fine)

Capcom: Dante from the Devil May Cry series (I've basically written four or five movesets for the guy at this point, so I'm passionate about the idea of him getting in)

Bandai-Namco: Agumon (would be nice to have Pokemon vs. Digimon in an official capacity)

Square-Enix: Geno (I've wanted to see Geno in Smash since the Brawl days, and unless Nintendo and Square-Enix collaborate on a Mario game, it seems unlikely that he'd appear in anything else)

Microsoft: Doomguy (tempted to go with Conker for the Diddy Kong Racing reunion, but I'd love to see them adapt Doom's fast paced run-and-gun gameplay into Smash)

SNK: Geese Howard (SNK's infamous for its overpowered bosses - I'm torn between Geese and Rugal)

Disney: Scrooge McDuck (we need the Moon Theme in Smash Bros.!)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
(Counting some companies has their own just for bias)
  • Sega: Joe Musashi or Kiryu
  • Konami: Alucard or Raiden
  • Capcom: Dante
  • Bandai: Nightmare or Lloyd/Yuri/Velvet/Cress/Luke/Milla
  • Square Enix: Crono or Terra
  • Platinum Games: 2B
  • Atlus: Yu Narukami or Nahobino/Demifiend
  • SNK: Kyo, Rock, the Metal Slug soldiers or Geese
  • Microsoft: Doom Slayer
Can't remind right know if I'm missing someone else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I wondered if he’d be doing some more

My 3rd Party picks:
SEGA: Space Harrier and Opa-Opa (My bias picks, since they represent 80's Era of SEGA)

Konami: Bill Rizer

Capcom: Leon Kennedy

Bandai Namco: Klonoa

Square Enix: Crono

Atlus: Nahobino or Demi-Fiend

Microsoft: Master Chief

SNK: Marco Rossi

Disney: Mickey Mouse (If 4th Parties were allowed or Penguin (Club penguin)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As much as it seems like I might be down on Doomslayer because I prefer other Microsoft characters, I actually think he’d be awesome in Smash. DOOM has a huge legacy and the new games have awesome soundtracks composed by the same guy that made so much of the 2013 Killer Instinct music that I love. I’d still be pretty excited to see him get in even if he’s not at the top of my list for Microsoft characters. I think I might have a bad habit of unintentionally putting down popular characters when comparing them to my personal favorites but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t still be happy to see many of them.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
(Counting some companies has their own just for bias)
  • Sega: Joe Musashi or Kiryu
  • Konami: Alucard or Raiden
  • Capcom: Dante
  • Bandai: Nightmare or Lloyd/Yuri/Velvet/Cress/Luke/Milla
  • Square Enix: Crono or Terra
  • Platinum Games: 2B
  • Atlus: Yu Narukami or Nahobino/Demifiend
  • SNK: Kyo, Rock, the Metal Slug soldiers or Geese
  • Microsoft: Doom Slayer
Can't remind right know if I'm missing someone else.
You’re missing Disney lol. You told me to inform you.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s kind of funny that everyone has nominated a different Kingdom Hearts character for the Disney rep. There doesn’t seem to be a general consensus for the next logical KH character. My personal favorite is Xemnas with Ansem (Seeker of Darkness) as a close runner up but I’ve seen support for Roxas and Rikku. I’m sure there are quite a few Aqua and Axel supporters out there too. I think my ideal choice would be a Pokémon trainer style transformation character with all of Xehanorts forms from each mainline game (Ansem, Xemnas, and Master Xehanort).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I mean, probably not Sans, but definitely a character from one of his games. Frisk, Papyrus, or Kris.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I'm known here for being very critical of people and game companies, and I have ripped on Sw/Sh here many a time. I think BDSP was a failure overall as Gen 4 fans got done dirty, and I felt that Legends Arceus was a step in the right direction but having seen some of the final gameplay it felt like it was in beta still and I decided GameFreak still hasn't done enough to get my money.

That being said, I think Scarlet and Violet thus far are showing that GameFreak might be listening and are possibly breaking away from catering entirely to children with the IP. The past two main series titles were horribly hand-holdy and linear, but S/M made up for this with it's story and characters (that US/UM took a dump on) and a fun region that tried something new and had a lot of great Pokemon designs. Sw/Sh was glitchy (to the point of being broken in some ways), bland, even MORE hand-holdy and linear, was not graphically impressive and was in fact lacking among MANY other issues, and I personally felt that no single new Pokemon spoke to me.

Sc/Vi seems different. I'm already impressed by one of the starters (especially after seeing his little hair flick), 4-player local is absolutely amazing and a step in the right direction, ACTUAL OPEN WORLD that hopefully really means what they say and allowing you to go to any city in any order instead of being linear in design and following a path everywhere is huge, and it seems like we may be carrying things over from both traditional Pokemon and Legends Arceus which fits with this theme of Past vs Future. It's also looking like there may be more differences between versions than we've ever seen before, so maybe more unique experiences and not just a slimey cash grab? I'm still cautious, but I'm more optimistic this time around.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Itoi should let Toby make Mother 4 when Deltarune is doneso.

Yeah I have nothing nice to say about Pokemon and especially GameFreak.

Anyways...

I have a hard time with these lists because I think of them as more opportunities to put in characters I think wouldn't have a chance versus popular requests that I also like and would love to see. So I'm gonna cheat here and there and do both.

Bamco - Kite from .hack but more likely it'll be Chosen Undead, especially after the false hope during Sora's reveal. I wonder if Bamco is capable of putting together their own Dark Souls game without FromSoftware? They should really try considering it's one of their flagship series. Sorry Digimon I love you too! I just think the .hack franchise has an even worse chance than you! It's a compliment!

Microsoft - Spyro but for really reals also super seriously Crash Bandicoot already please because wtf is wrong with you Nintendo? But I guess if that doesn't count yet then Master Chief. My 3 most-wanteds will actually be tied to one company.

Konami - Faithful classic Frogger but more likely it'll be Bomberman because I think Japan actually stans Bomberman hence the dedicated Sakurai shout-out for his AT reveal. I could see both Castlevania and Metal Gear getting their respective second reps in Alucard and Raiden respectively too so basically literally anybody from Konami before Frogger... Even that Pyramid Head guy.

Capcom - Resident Evil Hero Situation = Leon, Chris, Claire, Jill this one has a great shot though Capcom's list of candidates is a pretty wide field but I actually think Resident Evil has them all beat. I legitimately just hope Smash team would take the time to make the unique male and female skeletons function. It's something I'd really like to them to do for Coco Bandicoot too but I won't be expecting it.

SEGA - Dr. Robotnik this one has a great shot but is in competition with other Sonic characters mostly. Maybe a Shin Megami Tensei rep is hiding in some corner waiting for the perfect moment of Sakurai bias to pounce?

Square Enix - Moogle and Chocobo but more likely it'll be either a new FF protag or more FFVII and I'm not gonna lie and say that I wouldn't prefer more FFVII characters because I definitely would... It's definitely my least popular Smash opinion but I'd literally put the entire FFVll party into the game as playable at this point but I could only pick one character so I went with the best single character slot.

SNK - Metal Slug Hero Situation = Marco, Tarma, Fio, Eri this one is actually likely because other KOF/FF and Samurai Showdown this is SNK's primary franchises and is also not a fighting game. Same thing as Resident Evil hopes in regards to the skeleton.

Disney - Revan cuz idgaf 'bout da roolz anymur and neither shud u! But it'll likely just be Riku. Just hope he has a bitchin Heartless Riku alt and is entirely unique.

Last edited:
Top Bottom