• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Trevenant

Smash Lord
He doesn't need a sword. He just needs to a mix of Falcon and Ganondorf.
Nah, the actual reason was that previously Ganondorf was literally based on Cap and had no sword aside from a taunt which would have changed if Black Shadow somehow joined in 4 anyway.

Sidenote but Ultimate definitely changed Dorf for the better. He was way too slow to ever actually be able to attack despite his raw strength, but now he actually has some level of range to not make it so lopsided. TBH one of the reasons people hate Dorf's current portrayal is probably cos of how bad he is. All the other heavies are way better whilst Dorf, who Brawl made sure to represent as one of the big bads of SSE cos of him literally being referred to as the King of Evil, is considerably worst than pretty much every other big body heavy out there. I really like what that one project m mod did with him. He had like 3 different movesets, that were distinct and different from the Brawl versions, even if one was more so based on his Brawl variant, and Melee technically too I guess...

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
This is why I prefer Goroh. People who would want him are more likely to want him for reasons other than "he can take ganondorf's old moveset if he was decloned". The same can also be said for Pico too.
I'd personally love to see Pico and Goroh to be completely honest

If there were to be an Echo of Captain Falcon, though, I'd personally say that someone like Bio Rex, Super Arrow or even someone like Beastman or Phoenix is more logical, purely because of body type. Black Shadow is significantly larger and with a bigger build than the Captain, so I don't know if the models would really work.

In terms of reworks, I think that at this point, rebuilding Ganondorf from the ground up is probably our best option. Hear me out here.

The thing is, it's widely accepted that after Ultimate or maybe an Ultimate Deluxe, well... we're going to have cuts. With a game like this, it's inevitable. The thing is, though, I feel like it's totally reasonable at this point to completely reinvent, or at least change up, characters. Say that there's only like 40 characters in the next title - it gives a ton of space to better fine-tune movesets and the like.

On Ganondorf himself, I'd love to see him use a trident. Sure, he often doesn't himself, but he does in the form of Ganon - and I think it would be a really cool, unique, and interesting way to take his design. a

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I really like what that one project m mod did with him. He had like 3 different movesets, that were distinct and different from the Brawl versions, even if one was more so based on his Brawl variant, and Melee technically too I guess...
I know that one.

Project Ganondorf is a really badass mod.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I know that one.

Project Ganondorf is a really badass mod.
Yeah, admittedly the Pokemon Trainer approach may seem unprecedented for a character who could probably blend all those combat styles together, but it definitely allows each individual aspect to be fleshed out more, and that's what I like about it. Represents all the different dynamics, and then adds more on top of that. Like the mage Up b was a really cool idea for example

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Another character I feel could use some moveset updates is Lucario. It really feels a bit lacking that Lucario doesn’t have any attacks that utilize its aura bone. That is a pretty major part of its fighting style. It could also use a new running animation similar to the Naruto run that it has been shown to do.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's not exactly fair to Black Shadow when it feels the only reason to care about him is him being the arch-enemy of Captain Falcon and people wanting him to have Ganondorf's old moveset.

At the same time, it also doesn't help that F-Zero in general doesn't have a whole lot for movesets and Captain Falcon's moveset is for the most part original, so when people's idea of Black Shadow is Captain Falcon, but slower and stronger against Falcon's fast and furious, it kinda shows alot of issues with both originality and lack of attention with F-Zero.

It'd be like people asking for Jody Summer to have Zero Suit Samus' moveset because most of what Zero Suit Samus does is original and is not very accurate to her character, therefore ZSS should be revamped and Jody Summer could have it because she has a similar build and design to ZSS, she works for the Police Force/Federation of F-Zero and goes after criminals and it'd be more acceptable for Jody to have the original moveset like Captain Falcon does compared to ZSS who should have moves based on her games.
To be fair, I think a lot of suggestions for Black Shadow came about while Echo speculation was rampant. This was back when it seemed like Echoes could be semi-clones (especially after seeing Chrom), but before the realization that Echoes needed to fit base character's skeletal frame. With that said, Black Shadow seemed like a viable contender as a Captain Falcon Echo since he could essentially preserve Ganondorf's pre-sword moveset. He would've pretty much been a clone of a clone while also bringing it back to F-Zero (Ganondorf having notably been the only cross-franchise clone).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Black Shadow does not use a goddamn sword.
And neither did Ganondorf for three Smash games.

Obviously, Black Shadow would not inherit the most recent version of 'dorf.

But wasn't the code first included in Gradius?
So, Vic Viper (Zone of the Enders incarnation or the Otomedius girl) going to be a joke character with it's gimmick being the OG Gradius power-ups
I don't think Gradius gets a Fighter.

I see either Vic Viper as an AT, or the Gradius Option as an item.

I'd be happy with Samus in a future smash game if she could speed boost and shinespark for sick offstage plays.
I want her dodge roll replaced with Flash Shift.

Yeah, it's not exactly fair to Black Shadow when it feels the only reason to care about him is him being the arch-enemy of Captain Falcon and people wanting him to have Ganondorf's old moveset.
I don't see how that's "not fair". That's literally all there is to the character. His biggest claim to fame is getting punched through a galaxy by Falcon in the anime. There's some serious revisionism going on here if people are acting like BS should be the next Ridley/KRool.

The Ganondorf thing is, frankly, giving him EXTRA attention he doesn't otherwise deserve. It's not unfair to him, it's benefitting him.

If there were to be an Echo of Captain Falcon, though, I'd personally say that someone like Bio Rex, Super Arrow or even someone like Beastman or Phoenix is more logical, purely because of body type.
...are we really going to even pretend Blood Falcon isn't the obvious choice for a Falcon Echo?

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so i was just thinking about xenoblade chronicles x and was wondering if sakurai would considering adding elma in the next smash game. i have a stronger connection to elma due to xenoblade chronicles being the 1st xenoblade game i played and beaten. also she could have a moveset that makes her switch between her guns and swords. just wish they would rerelease the game on the switch. i would play it again.

Shroob

Sup?
so i was just thinking about xenoblade chronicles x and was wondering if sakurai would considering adding elma in the next smash game. i have a stronger connection to elma due to xenoblade chronicles being the 1st xenoblade game i played and beaten. also she could have a moveset that makes her switch between her guns and swords. just wish they would rerelease the game on the switch. i would play it again.
Probably not tbh.

Xenoblade feels very much like Fire Emblem in the "We'll go for the most recent entry".

X is just kinda.... ignored almost wholesale, by both Smash and Nintendo as a whole.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
I'd only feel confident in Elma if there was an X2 which heavily featured her, but, as the epilogue implied, it seems the story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one that will never really end...

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Guys go vote for which characters you want to play as in smash crusade

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Veterans: Banjo and Kazooie / Joker
Newcomers: Sub-Zero / Jibanyan

D

Deleted member

I've been kind of obsessing over it as of late, but the best compromise for :ultganondorf: in my opinion is to be more of an amalgamation of all of his appearances, including those as Ganon, by giving him his trident along with his sword.

Because let's face it, "Pig Ganon" is a pretty niche request, and how many people among the millions of Smash fans genuinely want it?
Hundreds?
Thousands if we're generous?

And it would spare more time and development to dedicate on more fighters with unique movesets.

And hey, :ultganondorf: using the trident he uses as Ganon wouldn't be weirder than :ultzelda: using spells Link used in Ocarina of Time and summoning a Phantom from Spirit Tracks.

Or :ultness: and :ultlucas: borrowing PK moves from their female partners.

Or :ultrobin: using dark tomes despite his Tactician class.

And judging by this:

Tridentdorf is gonna be the next cool thing to request for.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I always thought it would be cool to turn Ganondorf into a transformation style character like Zelda and Sheik were where he could transform between his human and pig forms. Unfortunately, with Smash separating Zelda from Sheik, that will probably never happen.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I always thought it would be cool to turn Ganondorf into a transformation style character like Zelda and Sheik were where he could transform between his human and pig forms. Unfortunately, with Smash separating Zelda from Sheik, that will probably never happen.
Unless they rework Ganondorf I dunno what the strengths and weaknesses of either form would be. Ganondorf is currently big, slow, heavy, with long-ish range. Ganon then would be bigger, slower, heavier, with even longer range?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm surprised there's still nothing from Super Scope 6 other than the item. A stage could work but there should at least be some music from it. It had a pretty good soundtrack,

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Unless they rework Ganondorf I dunno what the strengths and weaknesses of either form would be. Ganondorf is currently big, slow, heavy, with long-ish range. Ganon then would be bigger, slower, heavier, with even longer range?
If they did this, I think they would likely make Dorf a bit lighter and floatier with a focus on magic where Ganon would be the bruiser heavyweight with powerful melee attacks.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If there's gonna be character reworks, I think Samus would be pretty highly requested for a new moveset due to Dread being successful and giving her a new suit and abilities.

(The one in Smash comes from Other M, I think?)

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I hope this is still being worked on in secret.

Sad that the modded version of Smash will always be superior to the official release. At least with Ultimate putting Smash back into hibernation will take some attention off the modding community.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I hope this is still being worked on in secret.

Sad that the modded version of Smash will always be superior to the official release. At least with Ultimate putting Smash back into hibernation will take some attention off the modding community.
That vid's a year old so uhh, doubt it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Seeing this makes me glad Nintendo just sticks to Video-game characters.
Yeah, if this is a Smash clone, it's, frankly, too big.

I wanted a Cartoon Network Smash game. But one that's all of WB means you're just never gonna see anything from smaller series.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sad that the modded version of Smash will always be superior to the official release.
Nothing against mods, but Smash Ultimate is superior just for doing alot that could only be seen in fanfiction. It's very easy for a mod or Mugen to have characters like Sephiroth, Sora, Snake, Banjo-Kazooie, Steve, etc. They hardly need to worry about stuff like copyright and etc.
Smash Ultimate, an official game, had to fight against the reality of copyright and licenses, and it won. All because one guy and his team loved video games as a whole and wanted to celebrate that love with players and developers all-around.
You guys see this thing show up on Twitter and Youtube?

View attachment 335948
Supposedly, WB had them yanked down so...👀
I'll see what happens.

That aside, it looks like it's following Ultimate's design of having the characters look like they actually fit together for the most part. And I can't say I dislike the picks or the roster looks awkward. I mean, I don't know much with Adventure Time, Rick and Morty or Steven Universe, but they don't look out-of-place next to the characters I do know, like Scooby-Doo, DC, Tom and Jerry, etc. Nor do they really clash against or look awkward next to each other.

Assuming it's real, I'll wait and see what happens and what is shown later. It doesn't amaze me, but it does have my interest in keeping an eye and ear on it.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate, an official game, had to fight against the reality of copyright and licenses, and it won. All because one guy and his team loved video games as a whole and wanted to celebrate that love with players and developers all-around.
Amen to that. There’s borderline no telling where we go from here, which is probably the most exciting part. We could see a lot more characters from outside of Japan in the next game.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You guys see this thing show up on Twitter and Youtube?

View attachment 335948
Supposedly, WB had them yanked down so...👀

It's great to see more platform fighters get made. I don't want Smash to be the only one of its kind still being big.

But there's still only one other company I really want to see give it another go and that's Sony. Man, I wish there was another PlayStation All-Stars.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
It's great to see more platform fighters get made. I don't want Smash to be the only one of its kind still being big.

But there's still only one other company I really want to see give it another go and that's Sony. Man, I wish there was another PlayStation All-Stars.
Given the way Sony is now? Yeah, I don't see it going too well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nice. Submitted Chrom and Min Min for veterans and Edelgard and Henry Fleming for newcomers.

Top Bottom