• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
DUDUNSPARCE
Digs the scene!
sigh Ya know what, I'll allow it.

Actually, as much as I dislike Dudunsparce for not being an interesting design once the joke has worn off, I do think it could be redeemed by doubling down: Dududunsparce, the new fully evolved form with a comical amount of segments. Due to how many wings its gotten, it has the ability to fly, but only after grabbing the end of its tail with its mouth, causing it to spin uncontrollably while in flight, and making it appear as a UFO. That way Dudunsparce would act as setup for a joke that's actually funny. lol

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t know a lot about Lyn since I only started playing the series with Path of Radiance. She does have a pretty cool design and I like the idea of another katana wielder in Smash. I’m also a big fan of her voice actress. I’d be happy to see her in Smash for those reasons despite not having played her game yet.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Re: Lyn

I think there’s a chance that she could get in over Alear. But it’s a small chance.
And there’s a decent chance she gets censored akin to Palutena in Smash 4.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll say, according to the poll, Alear isn't doing all that well. They aren't doing terrible, but there are five Fire Emblem characters ahead of them. No points for guessing who's first.

Meowscarada has jumped up the polls for Pokemon (yes the prior top three is invalid, no Meowscarada isn't in the top three, it's top five).

But what I'm confused about is Octoling, the most boring choice for Splatoon has nearly twice as many voices as Marina, who is second on the Splatoon poll. It's absurd how well they are doing.

The "boring choices" aren't actually that unpopular, barring perhaps Alear.

Meanwhile Mio and Noah (in that order) and topping the Xenoblade poll with no other character coming close. Lol

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Never really looked into the character, but I never minded Lyn amidst the topic of potential fighters.
She seemed very popular and respected amongst fans.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll say, according to the poll, Alear isn't doing all that well. They aren't doing terrible, but there are five Fire Emblem characters ahead of them. No points for guessing who's first.

Meowscarada has jumped up the polls for Pokemon (yes the prior top three is invalid, no Meowscarada isn't in the top three, it's top five).

But what I'm confused about is Octoling, the most boring choice for Splatoon has nearly twice as many voices as Marina, who is second on the Splatoon poll. It's absurd how well they are doing.

Meanwhile Mio and Noah (in that order) and topping the Xenoblade poll with no other character coming close. Lol
just cause you find character boring doesn't mean the rest of us do

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
just cause you find character boring doesn't mean the rest of us do
Well yes.

I fully acknowledge that.

I will acknowledge Octoling's popularity, moveset potential and importance within the Splatoon franchise.

But I can still have the opinion that they are a boring choice for a character.

Or maybe I'm jealous because I want most of the other Splatoon characters more.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I think Meowscarada would have a pretty cool moveset, and I like the Pokémon fine.

People are just kinda tired of discussing in Smash, that’s what gives it the boring stigma.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well yes.

I will acknowledge Octoling's popularity, moveset potential and importance within the Splatoon franchise.

it sounds like jealousy

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Weirdly Lyn has popularity that seems to grow larger with time. Back in the Brawl speculation days, her support was mild in comparison. Ike overshadowed her a lot, but it might be cause Path of Radiance was new then, or relatively. Radiant Dawn was also either on the horizon or released closely before Brawl.

Anyway back to Lyn, I would like to see her and think of her as somewhat likely. I think a remake of her game is pretty much guaranteed too, once upon a fateful day. Her popularity demands it.

My guesses for top 5 most popular Fire Emblem characters on the poll right now: Lyn, Edelgard, Anna, Dimitri and Alear.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That doesn't surprise me tbh, Alear's design is pretty polarizing. I like them but I also know people who really dislike them.

I still think they're the most likely since they're the new protag and IntSys usually goes for those, but yeah.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Weirdly Lyn has popularity that seems to grow larger with time. Back in the Brawl speculation days, her support was mild in comparison. Ike overshadowed her a lot, but it might be cause Path of Radiance was new then, or relatively. Radiant Dawn was also either on the horizon or released closely before Brawl.

Anyway back to Lyn, I would like to see her and think of her as somewhat likely. I think a remake of her game is pretty much guaranteed too, once upon a fateful day. Her popularity demands it.

My guesses for top 5 most popular Fire Emblem characters on the poll right now: Lyn, Edelgard, Anna, Dimitri and Alear.
Well... Considering we're just got 300 votes!!! And it's my birthday!!!

I'll share the top few Fire Emblem results.

It goes Lyn, big drop off, Black Knight, big drop off, Tiki, Edelgard, Anna, Alear, and Hector.

Armors have taken over.

Lyn WAS a top ten character, but it seems going viral on Twitter has hurt her a bit. She's still in that grey area of the top twenty-ish characters.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

Alear doing poorly could have been anticipated, considering the divisive nature of Engage. My bet is Lyn is topping the poll.

Meowscarada may just be the popular choice right now. People seem to be begging for a grass-type starter.

Octoling is a case of being extremely obvious. They’re identical to Inklings, and would be an easy inclusion.

Noah and Mio are also just obvious. Granted, a similar case to others as many see them as an obvious pick.

I’d imagine series that sell less may have a harder time in the poll.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

It goes Lyn, big drop off, Black Knight, big drop off, Tiki, Edelgard, Anna, Alear, and Hector.

Armors have taken over.

Lyn WAS a top ten character, but it seems going viral on Twitter has hurt her a bit. She's still in that grey area of the top twenty ish characters.
Can't wait to see where the Kirby characters stand... Heh heh. 😇

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can't wait to see where the Kirby characters stand... Heh heh. 😇
It is extremely obvious who's in first. And they take it away by a landslide. Only unpredictable thing is that Adeline is somehow third.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

Armors have taken over.

Lyn WAS a top ten characters, but it seems going viral on Twitter has hurt her a bit. She's still in that grey area of the top twenty ish characters.
Happy birthday!

As expected, Lyn tops the poll. Pretty much the one FE character most of the Smash community actually wouldn’t mind seeing.

I imagine with more people of the more casual side will inflate the vote for the series you’d expect, such as Mario, DK, Zelda, Kirby, etc.

Speaking of Mario, my guess is the man in purple is leading the poll. Paper Mario could have a bit of a drop off after that, in second place. Geno doing poorly could mean Toad is actually beating him (Toad Circuit sweep that’s true), or maybe Twitter has saved him. I’d say even King Boo might have a decent following.

Kirby likely has Bandana Dee leading by a large margin. Pretty obvious.

I’m interested as to where Zelda lies. That will be interesting to see. It will likely be a fractured vote, with a poll leader not having that much of a lead. Impa, Skull Kid, Midna, or even Ganon might be leading.

Mio leading Xenoblade, with Noah in second was spoken above, but beyond that, as we know there’s a drop off, Rex could be third, and Elma not far behind. Nia is also generally popular, so I imagine she’s in the top five.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I’m pretty sure I’m one of the only people who voted for Alear. Guess that just goes to show how over-hated they are (to me, anyway).
I don’t hate Alear, I just have no affinity for them since I haven’t played Engage. They certainly have a very unique aesthetic, I’ll give them that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Claude and Dimitri are doing pretty well all things considered. Fire Emblem has a lot of characters in the 20-40 votes range.
good to know

I don’t hate Alear, I just have no affinity for them since I haven’t played Engage. They certainly have a very unique aesthetic, I’ll give them that.
Even then you might not have affinity for him

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, I’m pretty sure I’m one of the only people who voted for Alear. Guess that just goes to show how over-hated they are (to me, anyway).
Alear has like 60 votes. She's just middling.

She's not like... Rowan with only two votes.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Well yes.

Tbh I support Octoling moreso in the good taste that Splatoon needs to have multiple newcomers next time around.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't think it's very likely that they'd be so low priority that they could be cut due to time constraints when Charizard would be developed pretty early on with his perceived high priority, especially if he's planned from the start to be one part of a trio
We of course don't know exactly all that happened with Squirt and Ivy in 4, but let's look at the facts:

- Charizard was not only able to go solo, but this was also decided and finalized early enough for him to serve as a highlight of a CGI trailer shown months before release.
- Other former transformation components, ZSS and Sheik, were able to become solo characters, and were revealed in the same Direct as Charizard. (this is all on the timeline here: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._4_Official_Site)

This shows that these characters could not have been too low in priority and that former transformation components could go solo.

In fact, it may well even be no coincidence that these were revealed in the same Direct; it seems likely that the decisions to turn these into solo characters were made about the same time, and if so, apparently Squirt and Ivy weren't in a position to receive the same outcome.

Regardless of that last bit, which is admittedly speculative in nature, it seems extremely unlikely that Squirt/Ivy would've been technically impossible as solo characters, or that it would've been an issue giving them feasible down specials, given that the other former transform components had no apparent problems.

So yeah, we don't know exactly, but it seems extremely likely that Squirt/Ivy were either much lower than Zard in priority from the start, or that they were dropped significantly when it was realized they weren't going to be able to make the trio fighter. I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen again if the 3-in-1 concept proves unrealizable for some other reason than technical issues, like for example limited resources, and regardless of whether that is determined from the start of development or midway through.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Armors have taken over.

Lyn WAS a top ten character, but it seems going viral on Twitter has hurt her a bit. She's still in that grey area of the top twenty-ish characters.
Happy Birthday!

Any other notable changes to the top ten that stuck out?

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman

Armors have taken over.

Happy birthday dude.

You know what we might be sleeping on? A surprise pick from Pokémon. The series has so many creature designs that are both ridiculously silly and fairly well known from Psiduck to Bidoof. Since Pokémon (potentially) doesn't really have a hot new generation to pull from, what if we get something like that instead?
There's only one appropriate pick.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Anyway, obligatory Lyn post incoming.

Around now is by far the most Smash-oriented Lyn support I have ever seen, as a longtime supporter myself. And it's honestly amazing, because of how dramatically disadvantaged she's been: AT'd three times, the perception that Smash will only ever go for the most recent protagonist, and hatred against sword/JRPG characters and any and every FE character in particular.

Of course, Lyn has always been extremely popular among FE fans, it's just been a matter of getting that to spill over into Smash speculation, and that process has been the long and difficult trek because of the above factors.

And by the way, her popularity isn't just doing well on CYL1. That's a very easy and objective measure to point to, hence why it gets cited a lot (and rightfully so, really), but her popularity in FE fandom is very well evidenced beyond just that, for example how she got into Warriors despite that game explicitly only aiming to include Archanea/Awakening/Fates reps and her being given a bajillion heroes alts. Now this current poll.

Lastly, I really don't see how Roy would have any impact on Lyn, regardless of whether he returns. Sure, both are from Elibe, but from different games and one is a clone character.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Armors have taken over.

Happy Birthday dude!

Noipoi

Howdy!

Armors have taken over.

Swampy birthday!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the perception that Smash will only ever go for the most recent protagonist
If only the most recent Smash game had an FE newcomer whose lack of recency was countered by fan demand.

Yes, it was with an echo whose model is recycled from Robin's final smash, but I'm sure whoever they add regarding FE needs IntSys's permission anyway. And they were fine with Chrom being added after both Awakening and Fates stopped being the newest FEs, so what's stopping them from being okay with Lyn?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In regards to Pokémon Trainer. I feel like it's worth pointing out how prevent they are in the marketing for Ultimate. They might be the only veteran not in Smash 4 who gets to show up in CG trailers, notably they're in the World of Light cutscenes. They're even on the front cover and switch icon of the game. (Actually, I think they were on the front cover to Brawl too)

I do think they're pretty safe unless there's some pretty major cuts across the board. Like I could see the Trainer out prioritizing Mewtwo, Jigglypuff and even possibly Lucario and Greninja.

Top Bottom