• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I will add that Pokemon is in a weird spot. There are lots of Pokemon characters with votes, but none of them have over 60. To put things in perspective, Poochy is doing better than any individual Pokemon character.
I'm glad that Poochy is performing fairly well lol, I threw a vote toward him. I wonder if the format of the poll incentivizes people to vote for at least one candidate per series, so someone like Poochy will just do well by virtue of Yoshi getting its own category / being the favorite from that crop?

I'll be really interested to see the results of this, the format will probably help some lesser discussed characters see good results since it's more of a vague "do you like x" rather than being exclusive to your top 1-3 characters. Hence... Funky Kong, I suppose. I actually must have glossed over the guy because I don't think I voted for him (even though I'd like to see him, generally speaking) but I do know I cast a vote for Cranky.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
View attachment 393409

Oh yeah, it's all coming together.
A Hex Maniac trainer with Gengar, Chandelure, and maybe Gholdengo would actually go really hard. It was hard to narrow it down to these three, even.

There's so many cool ghost Pokemon that could work well with this kind of concept. Aegislash, Rotom, Mimikyu, Hoopa, Annihilape, Dragapult... the list goes on.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You're too late. All I'll say is that Geno is currently doing much worse than I anticipated.
I think this makes sense too. Like, Geno is a controversial and polarizing character. So in a traditional poll you might have a group of people who REALLY want Geno, enough to cast one of their exclusive votes toward him. With enough people that dedicated toward the character, he'd place highly. But with this poll, it may reveal how this support is somewhat of a vocal fringe support base - that Geno isn't so much a character casually liked by the bulk of the community as much as he is one that is passionately liked by enough people to cause a stir.

I don't say this with any malice toward Geno or his supporters either, I like him well enough and cast him a vote. It's just something that a lot of us have surmised already and may demonstrate true (at least with this current sample size). Nothing wrong with Smash catering to the fringe support groups either but it does weaken his case as a K. Rool or Ridley level threat.

...which does make me wonder how our boy in purple is doing.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
It's uh...

It's pretty obvious honestly.

Take a guess.

And wow, they're leading by a lot.
It’s probably Alear, Lyn, or Anna, but I can’t tell which one.
nvm. It’s Lyn based on the above post, and that makes sense given that she was the most voted character on Choose Your Legends (They treated the Ike’s as separate characters then)

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Just now filled out the poll myself. It seemed to be well put enough, at least I couldn't think of any glaring omissions.

Although... HAS anybody noted any glaring omissions in the poll? I noticed there was a section for that at the end.
I filled it out, but these were just obscure characters that I also thought would have been cool to see instead of glaring omissions (I probably misread that part).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Although... HAS anybody noted any glaring omissions in the poll? I noticed there was a section for that at the end.
I included so many Rhythm Heaven characters.

AND PEOPLE KEEP SUGGESTING MORE!!!

Honestly Rhythm Heaven as an IP is really popular, but they don't have a unifying force like say... Isaac from Golden Sun?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which is strange given a major leak included an RH candidate. You'd think something like that would end up centralizing support.
It mostly has. Chorus Kids is by far the most popular Rhythm Heaven character, but enough people chose other characters (and specifically not them) that its noticeable.

Like, to give an example, when someone voted for Matthew or Felix from Golden Sun, they almost always voted Isaac too. That isn't the case with Rhythm Heaven. And somehow, they have two characters above the Ring Fit Trainee and in the top twenty of new franchise characters.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It mostly has. Chorus Kids is by far the most popular Rhythm Heaven character, but enough people chose other characters (and specifically not them) that its noticeable.

Like, to give an example, when someone voted for Matthew or Felix from Golden Sun, they almost always voted Isaac too. That isn't the case with Rhythm Heaven. And somehow, they have two characters above the Ring Fit Trainee and in the top twenty.
I'm sure it helps that most Golden Sun fans perceive that Felix or Matthew could be Echoes of Isaac, which makes it easier to show dual or triadic support.

Otherwise, makes sense. Will be interesting to see the final results for RH.

Anyway I think I am going to rest much easier tonight after seeing the tease on FE.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’ve been thinking…nobody knows what the future holds for Smash in a post-Ultimate world. With that being said, one thing I would personally like is for the next game to be a soft reboot. I.E. not necessarily eschewing the old ways of Smash, but changing enough to make it fresh for both new and longtime fans.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chorus Kids are an anomaly in that they aren't really a character that would ever develop organic support. It's a totally out there idea that we got a sneak peek into, that some of us got sold on and others were not convinced on. I think if we ever got Chorus Kids properly implemented into Smash everyone would be down, but knowing so little about how this could have panned out means we'll only be as excited about it as our imagination lets us be. But I can understand why it never became the centralizing frontrunner, because they're not like... that kind of character, you know? Most people are going to rush to try and find the most consistent character, the most definitive mascot, etc which is hard to pin down for this series.

That is to say there's probably a contrast between those who support a more abstract idea like Chorus Kids, or characters that they can more directly visualize as fighters like Karate Joe and the Wrestler. Specifically the former as he appears in every game in the series. I didn't vote for Joe personally (just not as silly as I'd like a RH character to be) but I endorsed the Wrestler, Barista and Yuka as well. I'm down for pretty much anything but Chorus Kids really won me over for how intuitively they could adapt what makes Rhythm Heaven special. Simple goofy little guys, they're in a trio so it opens the door for a lot of 1-2-3 rhythm attacks, they are musicians...

I wish we could have seen the world where they were lucky enough to make it, and we all praised the creativity behind this choice, but instead about 50% of people think it's cool and another 50% probably think it's a weird bandwagon pick that has somehow lingered around for all this time. The leak is the only reason we're talking about them, but it's also the only reason anyone has a problem with them. That's how I feel, at least. It's like if "Mr. Game & Watch" was leaked, never made it and we were supposed to come to our own conclusions about what the hell that entails.

Do these ramblings make sense lol? I just feel like the Chorus Kids inhabit a space completely unique to them, as such a strange concept that we probably should have ever really known about in the first place. So that's going to translate into community support in a somewhat odd, uneven way.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey, that's right!

Who's guaranteed for Smash 6?
View attachment 393405

Vote now! I'll publish the results later!
OK I'll just click my preferred optio-waitaminute it's just an image you tricked me!

I will add that Pokemon is in a weird spot. There are lots of Pokemon characters with votes, but none of them have over 60. To put things in perspective, Poochy is doing better than any individual Pokemon character.
2 Things:
  1. Of course Poochy is doing better. He's the best boi!
  2. I don't think this would affect all of the options, so I dunno what's up with that, but I do think the options of "New Trainer Concept" and "Human Character" are a bit confusing, as the latter generally implies the former. That might skew one or the other of those options.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Okay, what the heck. I can give one more sneak peak.

Give me one franchise and I'll tell you the top three choices for that franchise. I'll only respond to the first person who responds to me and I won't tell the exact order.

I'm having fun with this! We're almost at 200!
F-Zero?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, what the heck. I can give one more sneak peak.

Give me one franchise and I'll tell you the top three choices for that franchise. I'll only respond to the first person who responds to me and I won't tell the exact order.

I'm having fun with this! We're almost at 200!
Since Donkey Kong will be quite obvious, I'll ask for Zelda.

If am not too late of course

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I wish we could have seen the world where they were lucky enough to make it, and we all praised the creativity behind this choice, but instead about 50% of people think it's cool and another 50% probably think it's a weird bandwagon pick that has somehow lingered around for all this time. The leak is the only reason we're talking about them, but it's also the only reason anyone has a problem with them. That's how I feel, at least. It's like if "Mr. Game & Watch" was leaked, never made it and we were supposed to come to our own conclusions about what the hell that entails.
I really wish we could've seen this, if only so Rhythm Heaven wouldn't be trapped in this limbo hell it exists in right now. Considering they were in the Gematsu leak which is likely an early build of the game or at least the initial planning document, they got a franchise emblem, and the Sneaky Spirits were Smash Run enemies, I would imagine at least some work was done for them before they were scrapped. I would've at least liked a stage if a fighter wasn't feasible.

Also after rereading the unused content page on SmashWiki, kind of annoyed we didn't get a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage and instead got GCO

I really hope that even though Rhythm Heaven is kind of in purgatory right now, Sakurai goes back to the concept of a Rhythm Heaven character, whoever it may end up being.

That timing was so perfect for them though, it's hard to imagine a better chance to put them in. Fever was in 2011, Smash 4 started development in 2012, released in 2014, and Megamix came out in 2015.

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
It's really shocking to me that we haven't seen a Tales character in Smash yet. It's by far the biggest JRPG series not represented yet, other than maybe SMT. I suppose it just came down to Dragon Quest being higher priority and Sakurai wanting to make a Tekken character work.

If Tales did happen, who do you all think Sakurai would go with? I imagine Lloyd, since he probably had a decent showing on the ballot. Vesperia is very beloved among Tales fans though, so maybe Yuri? Or Alphen or Shionne from Arise?

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

Honestly Rhythm Heaven as an IP is really popular, but they don't have a unifying force like say... Isaac from Golden Sun?
Just voted on the poll. Only voted for a few characters, since there are lots of characters I would love to see in Smash but I feel putting in everyone I'd like to see kinda diminishes those I REALLY want in, so I voted for a select few.

Only did one write-in vote and is, you guessed it, a Rhythm Heaven character!

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
With some teasing from the poll, I’m shocked Geno is doing so poorly. As Louie G. mentioned, his support may primarily be a fringe group.
Also the original Super Mario RPG didn’t release in Europe, so some support isn’t as strong here.

This reinforces my thought that clearly, Waluigi is the most popular Mario character not in Smash yet. I’m curious how other popular picks like Paper Mario have fared.

Poochy outranking every individual Pokémon is shocking. Granted, there are so many Pokémon. But still. Maybe Poochy has a place as an AT in the future.

I’m curious as to how Xenoblade has fared. I’m confident either Noah or Mio will be leading those results, with minor support for Rex, Nia, etc.
Just now filled out the poll myself. It seemed to be well put enough, at least I couldn't think of any glaring omissions.

I noticed Pneuma was missing for the Xenoblade series when doing the poll.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I'd say that poll was fairly well covered and the only omissions anyone would consider glaring would be their own personal favourites

i knew i should have suggested the chameleon

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just voted in the poll. Glad I didn’t miss it since I was busy this weekend. Also glad to see Golisopod on the poll. Gengar, Golisopod, and Cofagrigus are my top three favorite Pokemon. I did think of a few characters I’d have added if I thought about it at the time but I already submitted. The biggest is Jenna Anderson from Astral Chain.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just voted in the poll. Glad I didn’t miss it since I was busy this weekend. Also glad to see Golisopod on the poll. Gengar, Golisopod, and Cofagrigus are my top three favorite Pokemon. I did think of a few characters I’d have added if I thought about it at the time but I already submitted. The biggest is Jenna Anderson from Astral Chain.
So Gengar is actually going quite good my friend! How you feel about this? And the chances of actually seeing Gengar ?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So Gengar is actually going quite good my friend! How you feel about this? And the chances of actually seeing Gengar ?
I’d be really hyped to see Gengar in Smash. My biggest concern is that we already have so many Gen 1 Pokémon so I’m not sure if it would be as well received as I’d hope. It’s also possible that Sakurai passes over Gengar for that reason. Still, it’s one of the most popular and consistently pushed Pokemon in the series and has never missed a game to my knowledge. I think there’s a non zero chance it could get in but if I had to put money on something it’s probably a Pokemon from a more recent generation. Hisuian Zoroark is also in my top 5 favorites and has the benefit of repping multiple gens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom