• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DKing

Smash Apprentice
Quick summary:

Melee: Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Marth where the most highly requested characters. Marth not specifically but as the face of Fire Emblem it's logical. Ganondorf and Zelda where up there too.

Brawl: Sonic was by far the most requested ever here. Followed by the likes of Wario, Diddy, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit and even Ike. Others who had decent popularity are easily Lucario, Lucas, Wolf and Toon Link. Brawl had a lot of fan favorites added.

Smash 4: Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Little Mac, Mega Man, Palutena, Pac Man, Villager, Mewtwo, Roy. These where notable ones. Most popular overall where definitely Mega Man and Mewtwo. Duck Hunt had it's fans too even.

Source: I was around bro.
It's true for megaman there some old discussions I found when they talked about megaman when snake and sonic were added.

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Quick summary:

Melee: Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Marth where the most highly requested characters. Marth not specifically but as the face of Fire Emblem it's logical. Ganondorf and Zelda where up there too.

Brawl: Sonic was by far the most requested ever here. Followed by the likes of Wario, Diddy, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit and even Ike. Others who had decent popularity are easily Lucario, Lucas, Wolf and Toon Link. Brawl had a lot of fan favorites added.

Smash 4: Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Little Mac, Mega Man, Palutena, Pac Man, Villager, Mewtwo, Roy. These where notable ones. Most popular overall where definitely Mega Man and Mewtwo. Duck Hunt had it's fans too even.

Source: I was around bro.
Pit is interesting to hear, were a lot of people intrigued by his Melee trophy description?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pit is interesting to hear, were a lot of people intrigued by his Melee trophy description?
It was highly speculated because Kid Icarus was just a good game, and often compared to Metroid. This was a huge reason, and people thought Pit has great move set potential of course. The fact this is not so well known is that Pit was revealed very very early.

Meta Knight was also highly speculated , because he became extremely prominent in Kirby too in recent releases back then. And Wario is of course Wario.

Another Metroid character in the form of Ridley was also requested heavily back then. And there was some sort of negative reception towards her by Ridley fans. Especially once Ridley didn't make it in.

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
They really were. It helps that the OG Kid Icarus was just a good game.
It was highly speculated because Kid Icarus was just a good game, and often compared to Metroid. This was a huge reason, and people thought Pit has great move set potential of course. The fact this is not so well known is that Pit was revealed very very early.
That's crazy considering I remember a fan animation from the post-Brawl years cracking a joke at the expense of Kid Icarus, acting like next to no one played it.

Stratos

Smash Lord
If Konami's next playable character is to come, I'd say Bomberman. Of course Bomberman is one of the two Konami characters I want as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros series, the other being Black Panther. For those who don't remember or don't know who "Black Panther" I'm talking about, I mean the cybernetic Black Panther from Konami's arcade video game of the same name. Here is the image:
1723493033508.png

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Sad to hear about Rachel Lillis, the voice of Jigglypuff (and the OG voice of Misty and Jessie)

I wonder if future Smash games will continue using those voice clips for Jigglypuff or if a new voice actor will be brought in
I would think unless they change Puff's kit next game, they'd just reuse voice clips. I imagine the same is true of Mewtwo's Japanese VA Keiji Fujiwara who passed in 2020, and Incineroar's Japanese VA Unsho Ishizuka, who passed away before Incineroar was revealed. That is of course unless Pokemon Company has plans to recast them in the anime.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys.

It's been about a day and so far we have 158 votes.

Should I post a sneak peak of some results?
Alright, that's enough interest.

The sneak peak is that the top ten is mostly what you would expect, but two characters really surprised me.

And those two are Raven Beak and Funky Kong.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

The sneak peak is that the top ten is mostly what you would expect, but two characters really surprised me.

Raven Beak was kind of expected, being a standout from Metroid Dread.

But wow, Funky Kong in the top 10? I do wonder if he outranked Dixie Kong in that regard. Mario Kart Wii’s blood runs strong in the voters.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
I would think unless they change Puff's kit next game, they'd just reuse voice clips. I imagine the same is true of Mewtwo's Japanese VA Keiji Fujiwara who passed in 2020, and Incineroar's Japanese VA Unsho Ishizuka, who passed away before Incineroar was revealed. That is of course unless Pokemon Company has plans to recast them in the anime.
Being fair on that, Fujiwara wasn't the original Mewtwo voice and the original returned to the role with the first movie's remake and Mewtwo's appearance in the Journeys anime.
So theoretically if they really wanted to have him return to the role for Smash after being recast to Fujiwara for Smash For/Ultimate, he is an option.

Ishizuka also isn't credited for any known Incineroar in the anime (Ash's is unknown but he obtained Incineroar after Ishizuka's unfortunate passing so it's not him by default, Kukui's is voiced by Toru Sakurai, and Cross' is unlisted; theoretically could have been Ishizuka since he was part of the cast already as Oak but no way to feasibly find out), so they could use another existing voice if necessary.

As for English Jigglypuff....the famous one from the anime had been recast to Michele Knotz for her appearance in Alola. If they decide to recast Jigglypuff for Smash for any reason, she'd be the prime candidate.

That's even assuming there are recasts in the first place.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Raven Beak doesn't surprise me that much. Funky does but I wonder if he got some more votes because a lot of people want him as an Echo?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
With how the poll is formatted, it's easy to click on more characters for that "sure, why not?" factor. Funky was listed next to Dixie so I voted him because sure, why not?
On the other hand, I was voting purposefully conservatively. Only characters I actually, legitimately would really be elated to see. I still voted for a lot of characters, like, way more than we can realistically get in one game, but I'm going to guess that I voted for much less than most folks.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I hope they tone down the item powercreep next game. Items that were introduced earlier in the series were cool little things that could give you a slight advantage (and the opponent could still play around them to a fair degree) but nowadays there's a lot more that are just ridiculously disruptive, obtrusive, or overpowered like the Gust Bellows, Ore Club, Special Flag, Black Hole, and so on.

I know you could just turn them off, but when we get the next set of new items for the next Smash I hope that they're fun and intuitive to the point where I wouldn't mind leaving them on in much more casual matches. The Drill, Healing Field, Rocket Belt, and X-Bomb are my favorite new items in the sense that they're not too disruptive but are still fun to use.

Stratos

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I want a new Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot, I mean I like to nominate the characters I want as newcomers to the Super Smash Bros. series, but on the other hand I prefer Sakurai to choose which newcomers to bring to the Super Smash Bros. series, because for example I have 120 characters that I want as new player players and I know that not all of them could come in a single game of the series let alone some never come. But on the other hand, Sakurai could see in pictures which characters we have to recommend him and have them saved and use some of them for Smash 6 and the rest to have for the next games in the Super Smash Bros. series even though this cannot be done. But as I wrote before, I prefer Sakurai to choose them himself without me or another fan recommending them to him. Besides there are countless video game characters, so how to store them all together?

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
I also think Square is gonna be weird, because I feel like Sora will come back since he's the most popular requested character of all time, but then you HAVE to talk to Square because of Firaga, Blizzaga, and Thundaga I would think (plus, you know, they made the series). In my mind, I could see Disney allowing Sora to come back and Square allowing Hero to come back in base game, but Cloud and Sephiroth get a little DLC dual pack thing going on so Square can get a little extra money out of them, then maybe one extra character from Square like 2B or something in the DLC as well. Weird take I know, but that's just kinda the feeling I get, even if it's really out there.
Regarding the Square thing, I have also been thinking that Cloud and Sephiroth being a bundled DLC pack is a realistic outcome.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, what the heck. I can give one more sneak peak.

Give me one franchise and I'll tell you the top three choices for that franchise. I'll only respond to the first person who responds to me and I won't tell the exact order.

I'm having fun with this! We're almost at 200!

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

Give me one franchise and I'll tell you the top three choices for that franchise. I'll only respond to the first person who responds to me and I won't tell the exact order.

Duck Hunt.
:V

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326

Hmm...this might be hard but I'll say ARMS.

Edit: Didn't catch that you're only doing the first response.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As of right now, the top three Pokemon choices are...

• Another Pokemon Trainer Concept
  • Gengar
  • Zoroark
Another Pokemon Trainer Concept and Gengar makes sense being at the top to me, but I am surprised by Zoroark being so high. Then again, wasn't there a time in Smash 4 where they were a very popular request? Perhaps its a holdover from that time in Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmm...this might be hard but I'll say ARMS.

Edit: Didn't catch that you're only doing the first response.

For the record, the results aren't entirely accurate yet. With less than 200 votes I can't really say its indicative of the community yet.

I will add that Pokemon is in a weird spot. There are lots of Pokemon characters with votes, but none of them have over 60. To put things in perspective, Poochy is doing better than any individual Pokemon character.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Super Mario?

Top Bottom