• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Is Palutena in any real danger?

I'm confident Pit is safe and Dark Pit is a different set of circumstances.
I really don't think we can say if a character is "safe" or not until we know what direction the next game is going to take, but assuming it's a traditional Smash with an increased roster and all that, I think she'd be fine... but I'd really hope they give her better specials.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

If Uprising HD actually happens then I think she'll be in a pretty decent spot.

Otherwise, if the next game ends up having a pared down roster... her chances are quite a bit more questionable, I'd say.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
She's in a weird area where she's both from a smaller series and a secondary character within it, so that's two immediate Ls. I expect most smaller series to keep their main rep in all scenarios (so yeah Pit good), but in downscaling like I expect to see in Smash 6, I can easily see the small guys struggling to keep their secondary cast when trying to juggle dozens of other series. On the first party side, once you nip off like, the Pichus and Young Links and Plants, the secondary smaller rep characters are probably next, or at least close.

Let's assume about 55-65 characters, maybe 12-15 newcomers (my rough prediction for Smash 6). IDK how many cuts that would require and I'm not interested in crunching that rn, and of course there's the question of how many cuts would be third parties but:
  • If the roster's closer to 65, I'd guess the needed cuts would end just before reaching characters like Palutena so she good
  • If it's closer to 55, well, she less good
I guess I'd consider her at risk, but not in grave danger. Characters like her would probably naturally end up in the middle-lower half of priority, below all the main characters, single rep franchises, etc, but I imagine there's still a good few characters you'd need to prune off before she's in the red, and most of the time I doubt they'll exhaust that list.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

I'm gonna go a little against the grain here after seeing the other answers, but I really don't think Palutena has anything to worry about. It's not like she has any more work than anyone else to do at this point since she doesn't have a million specials from Custom Moves anymore, and even though she is from a smaller series, Uprising is still a game that Sakurai and crew made themselves, so I really don't see her being at risk tbh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Kid Icarus is named after Palutena in Japan. In addition, she's majorly popular there(which is why it wasn't hard to see her getting into 4 in the first place).

I doubt she's in any danger, outside of the franchise itself being reduced to 1 character. Dark Pit is easily safe as long as they have time to make him(and even then, he might be planned from the start just like in Ultimate). It's a small series, but that matters little in this context. Both characters are popular in their regions, and the third is hyper easy to make(and popular for other reasons).

I feel the same way with Isabelle. She's rather safe bar extreme circumstances. And I don't see why Animal Crossing would be reduced to 1 character anyway generally. So it's not an issue for her to return after Villager clearly does.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I feel unless cuts get extreme she's fine. Kid Icarus may be small, but she's a very popular and important character from it, she's the type of character I'd see them place high on their priority list.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

I think her getting cut is entirely possible, once they go past the most obvious exclusions. It's less to do with her and more to do with where she'd just line up priority-wise amongst bigger series with more familiar faces, some of whom have been part of things longer.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel Palutena is the definition of a middle of the pack character, someone who will probably be able to return under normal conditions but might struggle a bit if the cuts end up more drastic. Kid Icarus is, on paper, the kind of series that may lose a character in transition like Star Fox or Mother (smaller, less currently active series). But unlike those series, Palutena is a fully original character and I'd say she is probably more popular than Wolf or Lucas were. She was one of the most heavily requested characters in Smash 4.

And then all the extra bits. She is fairly unique, being the only staff wielder in the game. Uprising is synonymous with Smash for obvious reasons, Palutena herself is like to return in a prominent role already via her Guidances. And it's safe to say that Sakurai and the team just plain like her a lot. So I would say her situation is less certain than some, but maybe about on par with the likes of fan favorites like Falco or K. Rool.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
You can all pretend his bias doesn’t exist all you want but that won’t change the fact nor prevent us from getting another Kirby’s fun pack stage
Also took three games to get a second Kirby character. Sakurai's bias seems to mostly take the form of being selective about his own Kirby content over other Kirby content, not some blanket pedestal for everything he's ever touched.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also took three games to get a second Kirby character. Sakurai's bias seems to mostly take the form of being selective about his own Kirby content over other Kirby content, not some blanket pedestal for everything he's ever touched.
funny I was going with modern smash as an indicator of what sakurais current mindset might be like rather than 20 years ago

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's really cool the way Palutena could be such a great character from an amazing game and organically build a following that wants to play as her in Smash, and when it pays off you have a bunch of people just pretend that Sakurai just couldn't help himself and forced her upon us. What a cheap faceturn some of this community decided to do toward one of its most popular characters from Smash 4 era.

It's not even like anyone here was denying that Sakurai's role in Uprising is a factor, so once again just unnecessary spite. Nobody is "pretending" anything, most of us are just mature enough to get the hell over it. Ultimate added practically nothing new from Uprising. It's been over 10 years man.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I suspect BWD's inclusion for Smash has been dependent on Nintendo pushing for him, which we have no evidence they have yet. If the more high-profile status of the Kirby franchise that's really kicked in with Forgotten Land continues (and it most likely will) with Nintendo seeing value in putting him in as a result of that, then Sakurai does not strike me as the type to balk and veto his promotion to playable. The inclusion may not excite him or have a moveset concept that dances in his head as much as others, but he will put forth a good faith effort to make him work in Smash if Nintendo wants him to.

Last edited:

DKing

Smash Apprentice
It's really cool the way Palutena could be such a great character from an amazing game and organically build a following that wants to play as her in Smash, and when it pays off you have a bunch of people just pretend that Sakurai just couldn't help himself and forced her upon us. What a cheap faceturn some of this community decided to do toward one of its most popular characters from Smash 4 era.

It's not even like anyone here was denying that Sakurai's role in Uprising is a factor, so once again just unnecessary spite. Nobody is "pretending" anything, most of us are just mature enough to get the hell over it. Ultimate added practically nothing new from Uprising. It's been over 10 years man.
Did Sakurai take inspiration from sin and punishment when He was developing Kid Icarus Uprising?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Did Sakurai take inspiration from sin and punishment when He was developing Kid Icarus Uprising?
I'm not sure if he ever said anything about that, but there are a lot of similarities. I came to that conclusion when I played Sin & Punishment also.

Maybe he can use some of that famous bias to give us Saki next time? Come on Sakurai, you know you wanna.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
There was one character in the Captain N: The Game Master series that made an impression on me years ago and that is Wombatman. I was impressed because he is a character that debuted in this series, when at first I thought he was a video game character that was a parody of Batman. I thought this because I didn't have the episode he appeared in.
View attachment 393359
I used to think that he was meant to reference the NES Batman game but since he comes from a TV series, that may not be the case. I guess he's just simply that universe's Batman.

I always find it strange how Captain N never featured anything from Technos Japan since it also made a lot of games on the NES during that time. Though maybe not something like Renegade or River City Ransom but something like Super Dodgeball or Nintendo World Cup would have been a good fit for a show like that.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Maybe he can use some of that famous bias to give us Saki next time? Come on Sakurai, you know you wanna.
I mean, he's been an Assist Trophy twice and got a Mii costume. And Sakurai appeared to have a soft spot for him when talked about him when he first revealed him as an Assist Trophy.
Though considering Sakurai is a big fan of shooters and Saki's creator Treasure is known for making a lot of shooters/shooter-like games, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai had a soft spot for Treasure.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I never said I was mad about her inclusion. I said he’s not going to cut her. What I’m annoyed about is this insane fandom who constantly try to post their biases as logic. Oh you’re not denying it? Then why respond with a counter argument? You’re not denying it? Then why respond at all?

oh and by the way maturity is a juvenile concept. If you wanna be mature what on earth are you doing speculating on the future of a series in which a fairy balloon can beat up a dragon turtle that’s has an age rating of 12? Maturity is a big a lie of normality. A social construct only used to try and make a person seem right

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
I feel unless cuts get extreme she's fine. Kid Icarus may be small, but she's a very popular and important character from it, she's the type of character I'd see them place high on their priority list.
...High priority? Nahhh. No way. Middle priority, I could see the argument, but "high priority" is like, Link or Mario or Inkling Kid or whoever. Characters that you just could not have Smash without. That is not Palutena. I'm not gonna deny her merit but you can easily have a Smash game without her. Pit could have an argument for high priority but not Palutena. There's at least 20 characters you definitely need to include before her.

Kid Icarus is named after Palutena in Japan. In addition, she's majorly popular there(which is why it wasn't hard to see her getting into 4 in the first place).

I doubt she's in any danger, outside of the franchise itself being reduced to 1 character. Dark Pit is easily safe as long as they have time to make him(and even then, he might be planned from the start just like in Ultimate). It's a small series, but that matters little in this context. Both characters are popular in their regions, and the third is hyper easy to make(and popular for other reasons).
I feel like the thing with this argument is, yeah she has merit, but like, so does just about everyone else in Smash. She's popular, yeah, so's many others. That won't necessarily save all of them if they need to trim down.

When you have to decide to split things fairly between dozens of different returning series, I think Kid Icarus being a smaller series is not something that's easy to handwave. Yeah she's an important second character from Kid Icarus... but we have many, many other series, some of which have multiple essentials before the conversation of Kid Icarus's secondary rep even becomes relevant.

I agree Kid Icarus being small wouldn't be a dealbreaker for it keeping a character, Pit is never leaving, but it keeping its lesser ones is much easier to debate in the trim-down scenario. Once they get as many different first party series repped as they reasonably can and they have time for extras, Palutena's probably gonna be one of the first they look for, but that's quite a lot of ground you gotta pave in first.

(oh yeah you mentioned Pitto. I doubt anything's happening to him but I don't even really count him)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like the thing with this argument is, yeah she has merit, but like, so does just about everyone else in Smash. She's popular, yeah, so's many others. That won't necessarily save all of them if they need to trim down.

When you have to decide to split things fairly between dozens of different returning series, I think Kid Icarus being a smaller series is not something that's easy to handwave. Yeah she's an important character from Kid Icarus... but we have many, many other series, some of which have multiple essentials before the conversation of Kid Icarus's secondary rep even becomes relevant.

I agree Kid Icarus being small wouldn't be a dealbreaker for it getting a character, but multiple unique ones is much easier to debate in the trim-down scenario. Once they get as many different first party series repped as they reasonably can and they look for extras, Palutena's probably gonna be one of the first they look for, but that's quite a lot of ground you gotta pave in first.
That has nothing to do with the fact the series is named after her in Japan. She's actually highly important to it. As is Pit. They're both major characters. The series being small isn't as relevant as it's being made. This makes sense a bit for Mother. Where it has 3 notable protagonists, and the only reason Ness is higher priority is he got in first. And he was twice considered to be replaced.

It's effectively two characters and one quick Echo. It's the most important two characters otherwise, one you really should never be without. It's no different from Zelda being removed from the Zelda cast just because Link is there(Ganondorf is important too, don't get me wrong, but he's not Zelda either). There's a reason I compared her to Isabelle(albeit, Palutena is actually more important to the Kid Icarus series than Isabelle is to Animal Crossing, but it's only a minor difference anyway, since only one has an actual story). Regardless, no, she's not in any real danger even then. It's not some Sakurai bias thing. It's her importance to the franchise that makes her a much higher priority than others. It's one of the few smaller franchises that's in little danger of losing any character due to the ones chosen specifically.

Also, things have never been split fairly among franchises. That's a myth. Franchises pretty much are all over the place, heh.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Like write ups or other polls? I eventually plan on doing both, but other polls are very far away.
I was thinking a poll for 3rd parties mostly

Ok it will have been another three games since he's added any more Kirby characters too.
Yeah he’s bias towards his Kirby games not Kirby as a whole. In his games there are three main characters and that’s who we have

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In his games there are three main characters and that’s who we have
It might surprise you who the three main characters of the games after he left are too.

I'm not going to pretend like Sakurai has treated the Kirby series fairly, because I think at least the stages are pretty egregious, but the roster ain't the problem.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Re: Palutena :ultpalutena:

I do think she’s on the chopping block beyond the obvious cuts, such as legacy clones, a few retro picks, and the third parties with licensing issues.

But I also think she could be one of the first veterans back. She sits comfortably with :ultfalco: and :ultkrool: in my opinion as easy veterans to bring back as DLC, but just expendable enough at this point in time to be lower priority for the base game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It might surprise you who the three main characters of the games after he left are too.

I'm not going to pretend like Sakurai has treated the Kirby series fairly, because I think at least the stages are pretty egregious, but the roster ain't the problem.
It might surprise you to know we’ve had a 4th main character since the wii

again I never said I had a problem with palutena being on the roster. I’m saying the reality is things aren’t going to change that much. Sakurais gonna treat the next smash game as he always does with a mix of things for the fans and for himself

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It might surprise you to know we’ve had a 4th main character since the wii
Bandana Dee got to sit in with the big boys in Return to Dream Land, and then served in a background supporting role in Triple Deluxe and Robobot. His major appearances past that, leading up to the crafting of Ultimate's roster, were spinoffs like Battle Royale and Rainbow Curse. This really wasn't that impressive of a resume up until he hit a further stride with Star Allies, reaffirming him as the fourth party member, and then upgrading to Player 2 in Forgotten Land. Star Allies came out the same year as Smash Ultimate and was only able to influence music and spirits.

The bottom line is I really can't take the criticisms about Bandana Dee all that seriously until now. Right this moment, and leading into next game, is where his inclusion makes the most sense. His track record was way spottier than that of Dedede or Meta Knight prior to this, both of these characters had much more impact on a given narrative and usually served as one of the game's central elements (Triple Deluxe and Robobot, for Dedede and MK respectively). "Player 4 in Return to Dream Land" was his badge of honor circa 2016, when the roster was decided, because I don't think throwing Kirby power-ups was uniquely inspiring.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Yeah he’s bias towards his Kirby games not Kirby as a whole. In his games there are three main characters and that’s who we have
Those are the same facts as during the earlier years of Smash, when it took three games to get the other two characters. Which is apparently too long ago to matter, even though nothing about this has changed. He wasn't in a rush to include his characters then, and he still doesn't seem to be now.

So, despite the Kirby content being highly concentrated to his games since the beginning of the Smash series, Sakurai's bias kicked in around the time it was convenient for your argument, huh?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the issue is the (seeming?) lack of more significant non-Sakurai Kirby elements in Smash makes BWD not being playable look worse than it really merits. Most probably would simply conclude he lacked major significance until recently but that backdrop of perceived Sakurai bias with all things Kirby related in Smash colors a lot of perceptions, fairly or unfairly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom