• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
I couldnt remember it and wasnt focused enough atm to google it, sue me.

One tiny little trait like you mentioned is not enough justification to give them a spot on the roster.
and thats a hard maybe on all of them. Like what could Tom Nook do that Isabelle and Villager dont already do? Oh Im sorry he could tax the opponent so he has ONE unique neutral special.

Splatoon is more fine you could do Callie and Marie duo with splat roller Callie and Splat long shot rifle weapon with Marie, DJ Octavio definitely works and Octoling is echo with different weapons.
I stand though that Animal Crossing brings basically nothing outside of Isabelle and Villager, they represent it just fine
I feel like Tom Nook's niche could be building. This might be hard to balance but perhaps you could take Isabelle and Villager's final smash and expand that into an entire moveset. Maybe he could collect bells somehow, and spend those to build things like mini houses, mailboxes, boats, etc? The balancing team would have to be careful though to not make Steve 2.0: Landlord Edition :rotfl:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I couldnt remember it and wasnt focused enough atm to google it, sue me.
I mean, if you’re going to speak with authority on how little a series has to offer I’d at least like you to know the name of its most recurring antagonist. I’m glad you seem to have 180ed on it now.

One tiny little trait like you mentioned is not enough justification to give them a spot on the roster.
and thats a hard maybe on all of them. Like what could Tom Nook do that Isabelle and Villager dont already do? Oh Im sorry he could tax the opponent so he has ONE unique neutral special.
I hate to keep insisting on my own post but I’d rather just keep linking it than typing the same thing out every time. If the idea doesn’t interest you that’s all well and good but fixating on one potential aspect of the design, and not even in the way most people agree it would be implemented, is being either ignorant or disingenuous.

And the things I mentioned aren’t “one tiny little trait”, they’re the entire character. KK Slider would fight with a guitar and have a music oriented kit. You think he’s going to use a slingshot, run around with a flowerpot and float around with balloons? Obviously not.

Resetti has a pickaxe and can dig around the stage. Aside from being facetious and mentioning Villager’s down smash, where are these elements in their moveset? Nook has a dozen things I mentioned in the post I linked. It’s just not true.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
KK is probably my favorite choice because they could go for a very varied angle with him by having moves inspired by the different genres he dabbles in and songs he sings.

Imagine if they gave him like, a Rider Kick to reference Go KK Rider.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Resetti has a pickaxe and can dig around the stage
Quite frankly, it isn't a lack of moveset potential that has me worried about Mr. Resetti not becoming playable.

It's that Resetti isn't really Resetti anymore in New Horizons. It has autosaving so he has no chance to be his old self anymore, and when he does appear, he's mellowed out.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Quite frankly, it isn't a lack of moveset potential that has me worried about Mr. Resetti not becoming playable.

It's that Resetti isn't really Resetti anymore in New Horizons. It has autosaving so he has no chance to be his old self anymore, and when he does appear, he's mellowed out.
Forgive me, but I am not sure if change in character is going to be enough to keep Resetti out of Smash as a playable character. I mean, there are other factors that could have prevented other characters from getting in and they still did get in, and they could use any version of Resetti, and they may likely use the old version.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Forgive me, but I am not sure if change in character is going to be enough to keep Resetti out of Smash as a playable character. I mean, there are other factors that could have prevented other characters from getting in and they still did get in, and they could use any version of Resetti, and they may likely use the old version.
Nintendo doesn't want Mr. Resetti to be "the scary mole who yells at you for not saving your game" anymore, period.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nintendo doesn't want Mr. Resetti to be "the scary mole who yells at you for not saving your game" anymore, period.
Like I said, I still don't see what the problem is or how that would keep Resetti from getting into Smash. There have been worse "barriers" come up by fans, and I think this is just a fear of yours, nothing more.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I agree. I just wanted to emphasize that the potential is there since that’s what was initially in question. Unfortunately I think it’s pretty unlikely that Resetti sees any major role in Smash again until the series starts utilizing him prominently again.

Forgive me, but I am not sure if change in character is going to be enough to keep Resetti out of Smash as a playable character.
Well unfortunately it may have contributed to his Assist Trophy being scrapped from Smash 4 onward, I’d say his absence from this role is a pretty lousy sign.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I thought we were talking about Resetti's character in recent Animal Crossing games. Well, maybe not.

Still, do recent Nintendo systems have a reset button anymore? Other than that, I can see Resetti not being able to be used the same way he was used in the earlier games, which is sad.

Still, I don't see that as much of a problem in terms of getting Resetti playable in Smash.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Like I said, I still don't see what the problem is or how that would keep Resetti from getting into Smash. There have been worse "barriers" come up by fans, and I think this is just a fear of yours, nothing more.
Well, it's less so that it keeps him from being in Smash and more like... If Animal Crossing themselves don't even want to use the character for anything anymore beyond like a faceless role as the Rescue Service that most players won't use because it requires you to be lost or stuck, which is kinda hard to do on a small island that you can terraform, then it's not very likely anyone at Nintendo would push for him over someone like Tom Nook, who is extremely prominent, K.K. who's in every game, etc.

It doesn't make Resetti impossible by any means, but his role has kinda diminished more and more over time, which doesn't typically lend itself to playable character status (especially when the Assist Trophy doesn't exist anymore either).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, it's less so that it keeps him from being in Smash and more like... If Animal Crossing themselves don't even want to use the character for anything anymore beyond like a faceless role as the Rescue Service that most players won't use because it requires you to be lost or stuck, which is kinda hard to do on a small island that you can terraform, then it's not very likely anyone at Nintendo would push for him over someone like Tom Nook, who is extremely prominent, K.K. who's in every game, etc.

It doesn't make Resetti impossible by any means, but his role has kinda diminished more and more over time, which doesn't typically lend itself to playable character status (especially when the Assist Trophy doesn't exist anymore either).
Like I said in my above recent post, I thought we were talking about his character.

BUT yeah, I can see Nintendo having no problem adding him in a Smash game as a playable. I will admit, the lack of wanting to do things with him may be a negative factor, but to me, at least it is not like they could use the old version from earlier games, even if that is kinda irrelevant now and such. I mean, they don't have to use modern Resetti.

I have not seen many fans request him nowadays, though.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
It'd be funny for Resetti to become playable because of a meta-narrative that he joins Smash to vent his frustrations and anger, since Animal Crossing isn't much of a home for him anymore. Here, he can be as violent as he wants!

Would be funnier if they double down and only Don Resetti appears in AC games going forward, saying his brother's found greener pastures somewhere else where he can truly be himself. Don isn't exactly sure what his brother meant by that, but he's happy for him all the same.

As far as I know, Resetti's the only example of a Nintendo character whose gameplay role has gone outright obsolete. They could give him a new role, but if he's barely going to have a substantial presence, I'd rather they take the funnier alternative method.

Last edited:

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
How are we feeling about Metroid's representation in the next game? I expect Samus to be based on her Prime 4 design next game. That game seems primed (heh) to get delayed until the switch 2 launches, and take the role breath of the wild had for the switch as its big launch title. It would be a great flagship title to showcase whatever graphical power the switch 2 has. Dread was also very successful, and with all this in mind the series seems to be in a good position to get a lot of new content in smash 6. Whether that includes a new character or not depends on if the dev team feels the series is already represented well or not.

Raven Beak and Sylux are the definitely the front runners. We aren't sure what role the other hunters will have in Prime 4 though, so perhaps it's not out of the question to get someone like Rundas instead. Or maybe they would just declone Dark Samus. The funniest outcome would be Meta Ridley getting upgraded from costume to echo and we get 3 Samuses and 2 Ridleys :p.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
How are we feeling about Metroid's representation in the next game? I expect Samus to be based on her Prime 4 design next game. That game seems primed (heh) to get delayed until the switch 2 launches, and take the role breath of the wild had for the switch as its big launch title. It would be a great flagship title to showcase whatever graphical power the switch 2 has. Dread was also very successful, and with all this in mind the series seems to be in a good position to get a lot of new content in smash 6. Whether that includes a new character or not depends on if the dev team feels the series is already represented well or not.

Raven Beak and Sylux are the definitely the front runners. We aren't sure what role the other hunters will have in Prime 4 though, so perhaps it's not out of the question to get someone like Rundas instead. Or maybe they would just declone Dark Samus. The funniest outcome would be Meta Ridley getting upgraded from costume to echo and we get 3 Samuses and 2 Ridleys :p.
I think Samus is gonna be based on Samus Returns due to Prime 4 releasing too late.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think Samus is gonna be based on Samus Returns due to Prime 4 releasing too late.
Don’t you mean Dread? Either way, I think they might give Samus an even 50/50 split between her Dread design and her Prime 4 design, assuming the latter is something that Sakurai is privy enough to the development of.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Don’t you mean Dread? Either way, I think they might give Samus an even 50/50 split between her Dread design and her Prime 4 design, assuming the latter is something that Sakurai is privy enough to the development of.
I think Prime 4 won't be a factor at all unless Samus is made DLC due to timing issues.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Crossing the clone talk with the Kirby talk, what are everyone's thoughts on Galacta Knight, Morpho Knight, and Dark Meta Knight?

Galacta Knight arguably makes the most sense at this point. He's the most reoccurring of them and is typically seen as MK's biggest rival of these three. I know that using a lance seems weird for a MK clone, but that hasn't stopped HAL from using Galacta Knight's lance the same as MK's sword.

Morpho Knight seems to be the up and coming replacement for Galacta Knight, though. After semi-killing Galacta off in Star Allies, he seems to be the new go too EX MK after retuning for Forgotten Land. He's also just a touch easier to implement as well as a clone.

Dark MK I'm mostly going for completion. He seems to be semi-reoccurring after Star Allies brought him back and these days seems to be the go-to representative for when they want to reference Amazing Mirror. Obviously, he's so similar they might have to work harder to prevent confusion between Pit and Dark Pit, though I at least can think of one way to make it easier (keep his wings always out like the modern games).

Personally, I always feel like an MK clone always has a dark horse chance, with Galacta as the front runner, but I'd like some other opinions.
I don't think any of them are super likely just because their appeal is extremely similar to Meta Knight for the most part, and there's also the strange aversion to adding things that are newer than Kirby Superstar, but if they do go for it, I think Morpho Knight is the only one that they would go for:

Dark Meta Knight is just Meta Knight without a code of chivalry, and while you could have some cool flavor animations involving mirrors, there's not a whole lot to differentiate them since Meta Knight's code of chivalry isn't even present in the series. The closest you get is his "come back when you can put up a fight" line, which would work in the opposite direction too. Arguably, it works better. Without giving him his moveset, I'd say he works best as an alternate costume.

Galacta Knight has problems since he seems to not be entirely cannon, and he lacks a Dimensional Cape, so his down special would have to be something else. With how he animates, he seems to be more of a paladin than a duelist, so there is that to differentiate them animation wise, but just having him do Meta Knight's moves doesn't seem super fitting, especially since the main thing about him is that his attacks are super extra.

Morpho Knight kind of falls in with Galacta Knight in how extra he is, but instead of summoning a screen spanning tornado, his main standout attacks are a teleport (which give him an easy replacement for Dimensional Cape since he also doesn't have one), and making his swords really big, which could be pretty easily implimented as an easter egg that happens when you charge his smash attacks for a silly amount of time.

As fun as any of them could be, I don't think they'd actually do it.

Costumes are different than whole characters. They can take any design that's been finalized even if the game is unfinished. For example Xenoblade Chronicles and ARMS came out a year before SSBU, and missed the boat for characters, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild released the same year and got a visual redesign and moveset tweaks for Link, music, and an entire stage.

IIRC, the Wooly World stage on SSBWiiU came out before Yoshi's Wooly World. Things like that aren't going to be as much of an issue, so it's really a toss up for which design they think is more important: Metroid Prime 4 or Metroid Dread. They could even have both as kind of classic and modern design alternate costumes.

Also, Metroid: Samus Returns? Is that what you meant to say? Why that one specifically?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think any of them are super likely just because their appeal is extremely similar to Meta Knight for the most part, and there's also the strange aversion to adding things that are newer than Kirby Superstar, but if they do go for it, I think Morpho Knight is the only one that they would go for:

Dark Meta Knight is just Meta Knight without a code of chivalry, and while you could have some cool flavor animations involving mirrors, there's not a whole lot to differentiate them since Meta Knight's code of chivalry isn't even present in the series. The closest you get is his "come back when you can put up a fight" line, which would work in the opposite direction too. Arguably, it works better. Without giving him his moveset, I'd say he works best as an alternate costume.

Galacta Knight has problems since he seems to not be entirely cannon, and he lacks a Dimensional Cape, so his down special would have to be something else. With how he animates, he seems to be more of a paladin than a duelist, so there is that to differentiate them animation wise, but just having him do Meta Knight's moves doesn't seem super fitting, especially since the main thing about him is that his attacks are super extra.

Morpho Knight kind of falls in with Galacta Knight in how extra he is, but instead of summoning a screen spanning tornado, his main standout attacks are a teleport (which give him an easy replacement for Dimensional Cape since he also doesn't have one), and making his swords really big, which could be pretty easily implimented as an easter egg that happens when you charge his smash attacks for a silly amount of time.

As fun as any of them could be, I don't think they'd actually do it.

Costumes are different than whole characters. They can take any design that's been finalized even if the game is unfinished. For example Xenoblade Chronicles and ARMS came out a year before SSBU, and missed the boat for characters, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild released the same year and got a visual redesign and moveset tweaks for Link, music, and an entire stage.

IIRC, the Wooly World stage on SSBWiiU came out before Yoshi's Wooly World. Things like that aren't going to be as much of an issue, so it's really a toss up for which design they think is more important: Metroid Prime 4 or Metroid Dread. They could even have both as kind of classic and modern design alternate costumes.

Also, Metroid: Samus Returns? Is that what you meant to say? Why that one specifically?
It's the most recent proper "Samus" look due to the drastically different direction Dread took.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No, this one is very much based in reality. Parents of young children complained endlessly about Resetti scaring their kids around when City Folk came out. The European manual straight up included a content warning disclaimer about him.

Ever since then, Nintendo has been further removing him from the series, to the point where he's now almost not in the game at all (you have to go out of your way for him to physically appear in New Horizons and he's completely mellow even then). Smash including him would 100% rely on his old personality, and if that's a no-go...then so is Resetti. Again, it's not a coincidence that his Assist Trophy was removed for seemingly no reason compared to the other removed ones.

I firmly believe that Resetti won't ever happen unless Nintendo themselves reverse course on babyproofing him.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's the most recent proper "Samus" look due to the drastically different direction Dread took.
When it comes to overall design though, it's mostly different in that it's blue (EDIT: and white). It's otherwise pretty similar to other Power Suit designs, and the Varia Suit is the classic orange, so that would still be an option. Do you think they'd find it important to put Samus an I guess more recognizable orange Power/Varia Suit as the default? Keep in mind they elected to make Link's default his Champion of Hyrule outfit, and that's way more different than the Dread Suit.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No, this one is very much based in reality. Parents of young children complained endlessly about Resetti scaring their kids around when City Folk came out. The European manual straight up included a content warning disclaimer about him.

Ever since then, Nintendo has been further removing him from the series, to the point where he's now almost not in the game at all (you have to go out of your way for him to physically appear in New Horizons and he's completely mellow even then). Smash including him would 100% rely on his old personality, and if that's a no-go...then so is Resetti. Again, it's not a coincidence that his Assist Trophy was removed for seemingly no reason compared to the other removed ones.

I firmly believe that Resetti won't ever happen unless Nintendo themselves reverse course on babyproofing him.
Well, I was previously thinking that the talk was about his character, rather than his role. As an error as that may be, I still don't think there is much problem with adding him in overall. I mean, he has history as a character; a character in Animal Crossing, not Smash, so I think that with that history around, his CURRENT history won't do much to deter from it, since he was already having less of a role.

Besides, it is not like he would be so scary in Smash as he was in Animal Crossing.

On a side note, no offense to anyone who fits this, BUT people complain about a lot of things. They are pretty much wussies, anyway.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think Prime 4 won't be a factor at all unless Samus is made DLC due to timing issues.
By that logic, Link wouldn’t have gotten his Champion’s Tunic unless he was a DLC fighter. I mean, after all, Min Min and Pyra/Mythra are DLC fighters from games released in 2017, right?

My point is, giving a veteran alts based on their most recent games isn’t the same thing as trying to squeeze a character from a game released during a Smash game’s development into the base roster. Sakurai is surely at least aware of Prime 4’s existence, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume he can make a 50/50 split between the Prime 4 and Dread designs work with Samus.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, I was previously thinking that the talk was about his character, rather than his role. As an error as that may be, I still don't think there is much problem with adding him in overall. I mean, he has history as a character; a character in Animal Crossing, not Smash, so I think that with that history around, his CURRENT history won't do much to deter from it, since he was already having less of a role.

Besides, it is not like he would be so scary in Smash as he was in Animal Crossing.

On a side note, no offense to anyone who fits this, BUT people complain about a lot of things. They are pretty much wussies, anyway.
Smash is a marketing arm for Nintendo. They won't approve of characters being used in ways that go against their own beliefs. That's what, in my eyes, dooms Resetti. If they forbid him from having his old personality because it goes against the Animal Crossing brand identity™, then he's left with the "approved" version from New Horizons...that is to say, nothing. At that point there's nothing they could make a fighter out of, and as such he wouldn't make it in. Yeah he has history...but it's history that the Animal Crossing team seemingly doesn't want to acknowledge.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Smash is a marketing arm for Nintendo. They won't approve of characters being used in ways that go against their own beliefs. That's what, in my eyes, dooms Resetti. If they forbid him from having his old personality because it goes against the Animal Crossing brand identity™, then he's left with the "approved" version from New Horizons...that is to say, nothing. At that point there's nothing they could make a fighter out of, and as such he wouldn't make it in. Yeah he has history...but it's history that the Animal Crossing team seemingly doesn't want to acknowledge.
Well, either way, that history should not have an impact on things Smash related. I mean look, you and I don't know Nintendo personally as a whole company. They may actually not, I repeat, may actually not, think that way, or they may do. Either way, Sakurai is in charge of Smash from what I know, and he likes to keep characters in character, which does not always turn out that way, but Smash is a game series celebrating Nintendo's and gaming's history. I can see Sakurai want to put in Resetti despite all things against him, (even though he has been removed since Brawl as an assist, but I think it was mostly the big text box thing). Anyway, people from Nintendo did not disallow Sakurai from adding a character like King K. Rool, who has not been in a game for a while before Ultimate, did they not? If Sakurai does want Resetti in Smash, somehow, and use his old self, I can see Nintendo not keep Sakurai from doing so.

Besides, how scary can Resetti be as a playable in Smash Bros. compared to Animal Crossing? How he works in those two games would be two different things I imagine.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
By that logic, Link wouldn’t have gotten his Champion’s Tunic unless he was a DLC fighter. I mean, after all, Min Min and Pyra/Mythra are DLC fighters from games released in 2017, right?

My point is, giving a veteran alts based on their most recent games isn’t the same thing as trying to squeeze a character from a game released during a Smash game’s development into the base roster. Sakurai is surely at least aware of Prime 4’s existence, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume he can make a 50/50 split between the Prime 4 and Dread designs work with Samus.
Considering how troubled its development was who knows if Sakurai even had any idea of what Prime 4 was going to be like when the Project Plan was devised, which I think was in either 2022 or 2023.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Considering how troubled its development was who knows if Sakurai even had any idea of what Prime 4 was going to be like when the Project Plan was devised, which I think was in either 2022 or 2023.
I don't think he'd have needed to know what the game would be like, there'd just have to be a finalized design for Samus, which should have been done early on due to concept art and stuff. We've also had examples of alternate costumes being made by individuals in their spare time with Zero Suit Samus's casual outfits. Samus's costumes probably require a little more work due to the animations on her arm cannon, but I don't think it's quite as difficult as you think it is.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think he'd have needed to know what the game would be like, there'd just have to be a finalized design for Samus, which should have been done early on due to concept art and stuff. We've also had examples of alternate costumes being made by individuals in their spare time with Zero Suit Samus's casual outfits. Samus's costumes probably require a little more work due to the animations on her arm cannon, but I don't think it's quite as difficult as you think it is.
It could have been changed during development, and Sakurai might possibly have ended up using an early concept design for Samus instead of the final one.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I never really understand resetti
Reset Ti heh
He was that AT in Brawl where the giant speech bubble came up and interfered with the match for 20 minutes. I used to just beat on him bc he was invincible but it was still fun. Fun like wall jamming as Kirby on Onett.. fun like spamming DACUS with Snake on Green Hill Zone... fun like _____

I MISS BRAWL SOMETIMES

Louie G.

Smash Hero
re: Samus, the Varia suit appears in Metroid Dread. I don’t think the Dread suit will suddenly become the default (nor do I really want it to… we didn’t exactly have Fusion Suit Samus in Brawl) but I wouldn’t be surprised if her appearance in Dread is still the basis for the way Samus is handled next game.

I do really like her design in Samus Returns, though. So if that’s the route they want to go I’d be down. I could see Sakurai getting tipped off early for the Metroid Prime 4 design like he was for BOTW. But I haven’t seen enough of it to have an opinion yet.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It could have been changed during development, and Sakurai might possibly have ended up using an early concept design for Samus instead of the final one.
I suppose it's a possibility, but assuming that did happen, it would be a fairly simple fix to change Samus in Smash with it, especially if they were able to take and optimize the new character model. Also, given that it's a classic orange Varia Suit design, it seems unlikely that it would change all that much just because there wouldn't be much reason for it to do so. I don't think it would have been that big of a worry for Sakurai, especially if he planned on adding the Dread Suit, as it would make for an easy fall back option.

EDIT: Looking at it, it appears to straight up just be the Metroid Prime 3: Corrupted design (which may or may not be just how she looks in the Metroid Prime series), so even assuming it did change, you'd still be using an official design, and one that's similar to how she looked in Brawl at that.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, either way, that history should not have an impact on things Smash related. I mean look, you and I don't know Nintendo personally as a whole company. They may actually not, I repeat, may actually not, think that way, or they may do. Either way, Sakurai is in charge of Smash from what I know, and he likes to keep characters in character, which does not always turn out that way, but Smash is a game series celebrating Nintendo's and gaming's history. I can see Sakurai want to put in Resetti despite all things against him, (even though he has been removed since Brawl as an assist, but I think it was mostly the big text box thing). Anyway, people from Nintendo did not disallow Sakurai from adding a character like King K. Rool, who has not been in a game for a while before Ultimate, did they not? If Sakurai does want Resetti in Smash, somehow, and use his old self, I can see Nintendo not keep Sakurai from doing so.

Besides, how scary can Resetti be as a playable in Smash Bros. compared to Animal Crossing? How he works in those two games would be two different things I imagine.
The difference is that Resetti is proven to be controversial. So controversial that his inclusion was seen as an objective negative to their products. None of the Smash characters ever included have had that level of controversy.

We aren't talking about Bayonetta showing skin, Fire Emblem being icky sometimes or Persona and Pokemon being accused of Satanism kind of controversy. We're talking about needing to put a content warning in a manual for the game. For a game that is marketed to children.

Is the controversy kind of stupid? Yeah. But its real and has had some very real world consequences. You can't just dismiss them by saying "Sakurai can do whatever he wants." He can't. Mai Shiranui is proof of that. Tharja's trophy being removed is proof of that. Nintendo didn't prevent K.Rool from being included because they have absolutely no reason to say no. Why would they? Older characters being included happens all the time in both Smash and non Smash games. You're trying to equivocate things that have no business being compared.

You're trying to imply that Example A, is actually Example B which is easier to dismiss. But Example A =/= Example B.

Regardless, Sakurai can just sidestep this whole dumb issues by picking Tom Nook or K.K. Slider. More prominent, popular and safe choices for new characters. He's probably going to pick the easier solution here.

toonito

Smash Ace
I saw a lot of people making their prediction rosters and I wanted to join in the fun but instead of just picking favorites I found this Tiermaker list with 150 potential newcomers and arranged them all in corresponding tiers. Had a lot of fun with this, and also avoided a "Don't want" tier and instead simply put them in either "Don't know" or "Don't care". Characters are also ordered alphabetically so those sharing tiers are pretty much equal.

(Gets ready for getting booed for not recognizing certain characters)

my tier list below, tiers separated by varying levels of enthusiasm

my-image.jpeg

Last edited:

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
EDIT: Looking at it, it appears to straight up just be the Metroid Prime 3: Corrupted design (which may or may not be just how she looks in the Metroid Prime series), so even assuming it did change, you'd still be using an official design, and one that's similar to how she looked in Brawl at that.
Exactly this. It's as simple as knowing there's another Prime game coming and returning to the design that's consistent across all 3 (and soon to be 4) games. And that's assuming he can't just look at concept art for the game, which seems silly considering it's been in development for 5 years already, since Retro took over.

I never really understand resetti
Reset Ti heh
He was that AT in Brawl where the giant speech bubble came up and interfered with the match for 20 minutes. I used to just beat on him bc he was invincible but it was still fun. Fun like wall jamming as Kirby on Onett.. fun like spamming DACUS with Snake on Green Hill Zone... fun like _____

I MISS BRAWL SOMETIMES
I miss Brawl every day. The character interactions in subspace, the jank, the edgy 2000s style... Truly unmatched 💯

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The difference is that Resetti is proven to be controversial. So controversial that his inclusion was seen as an objective negative to their products. None of the Smash characters ever included have had that level of controversy.

We aren't talking about Bayonetta showing skin, Fire Emblem being icky sometimes or Persona and Pokemon being accused of Satanism kind of controversy. We're talking about needing to put a content warning in a manual for the game. For a game that is marketed to children.

Is the controversy kind of stupid? Yeah. But its real and has had some very real world consequences. You can't just dismiss them by saying "Sakurai can do whatever he wants." He can't. Mai Shiranui is proof of that. Tharja's trophy being removed is proof of that. Nintendo didn't prevent K.Rool from being included because they have absolutely no reason to say no. Why would they? Older characters being included happens all the time in both Smash and non Smash games. You're trying to equivocate things that have no business being compared.

You're trying to imply that Example A, is actually Example B which is easier to dismiss. But Example A =/= Example B.

Regardless, Sakurai can just sidestep this whole dumb issues by picking Tom Nook or K.K. Slider. More prominent, popular and safe choices for new characters. He's probably going to pick the easier solution here.
The difference, though, between Mai and Resetti is that Mai's case, it was because of a CERO rating issue. Resetti does not have the same kind of issue. And I am not saying Sakurai can do whatever he wants, I am just saying Nintendo does not seem to hold him back that much, which might or might not be the case for Resetti.

Yes, I said "might or might not", which means I am aware that it could go either way. Still, I do think you underestimate if to an extent, what Nintendo might say about Sakurai's choice if he wanted to add Resetti in as a playable. I am not sure if the past history of Resetti would be enough for Nintendo to say no, especially if Sakurai really wanted to add him in. (For some reason)

Sure, Resetti scaring children has some real world consequences, but I just don't see how Resetti scaring children would translate into Smash. I mean, he was scary, but as a fighter in Smash Bros.? At least give him a chance so people might see that his being a fighter is not the same as how he was in the early days.

By the way, this is all coming from someone who is not so crazy about Resetti. I did not mean to imply what you said about "Example A and B". I just think that Animal Crossing Resetti and Smash Bros. playable Resetti would be two different enough things.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There actually seems to be a bit more to say on this than I thought, so here's my thoughts on Samus's default costume options:
  • Metroid: Samus Returns-This seems unlikely since it would have been available for SSBU, and they didn't go for it. My guess is either because it's a remake, or because other redesigns outprioritized Samus's.
  • Metroid Dread-This will definitely show up as a color scheme, but I don't think it'll be the default costume. Hopefully though, it will be a full costume.
  • Metroid Prime 4-Samus's most recent outing, and with a color scheme that doesn't go against the grain. This along with it being a design she's had before makes it seem like the most likely option.
  • Metroid: Other M-They could always just keep it the same, though with the series moving on from this game and mounting frustrations on how Samus is handled, I feel like there'd be pressure to at least update her visual design.
re: Samus, the Varia suit appears in Metroid Dread. I don’t think the Dread suit will suddenly become the default (nor do I really want it to… we didn’t exactly have Fusion Suit Samus in Brawl) but I wouldn’t be surprised if her appearance in Dread is still the basis for the way Samus is handled next game.

I do really like her design in Samus Returns, though. So if that’s the route they want to go I’d be down. I could see Sakurai getting tipped off early for the Metroid Prime 4 design like he was for BOTW. But I haven’t seen enough of it to have an opinion yet.
I'm gonna be the cynicall one this time and say that her portrayal in terms of characterization, game physics, and ability set will be almost or entirely ignored because they don't want to change her move set, and her characterization is fairly subtle and context specific.

EDIT: It will be equal parts funny and sad if/when her neutral attack is still a two-hit not-combo when Melee Counter is right there.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
For Samus, I do think it'll be another Link case for her. Historically, Smash has generally used the most recent mainline Metroid game as the main basis for her design (64 and Melee was Super, Brawl was ZM, and 4 and Ultimate was Other M) and they've shown they've been more willing to make notable changes to a character's design and concept. Dread is currently the most successful entry in the franchise and the new design has been used in things like the Figma figure, so it is a design that Nintendo does see value in and could be something Sakurai could use for the next game, especially if they do make any changes to her moveset that reflects that game. The classic Varia suit would still be there like Link's classic tunic, and I could see them either using Returns, bringing back the older designs like ZM, or using Prime 4 if the situation allows, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dread ends up being the main design.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I may or may not have asked this before, but do you think, if we got either Leon or Jill for Smash, we could also have each other and the Redfield siblings Chris and Claire as alts? Because, if we could, they could each have two costumes based on the games you play as them in. (RE2 and RE4 for Leon, RE1 and RE3 for Jill, RE1 and RE5 for Chris, RE2 and RE: Code: Veronica for Claire)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Since we're still sort of on Animal Crossing, my most wanted (but never happening) characters are Brewster, Daisy Mae and Rover (with other cat villagers as alts.)

I may or may not have asked this before, but do you think, if we got either Leon or Jill for Smash, we could also have each other and the Redfield siblings Chris and Claire as alts? Because, if we could, they could each have two costumes based on the games you play as them in. (RE2 and RE4 for Leon, RE1 and RE3 for Jill, RE1 and RE5 for Chris, RE2 and RE: Code: Veronica for Claire)
You mean like Chris as an alt for Leon or do you mean the Redfields as alts for each other? Either way I would say probably not unless they base the movesets specifically on the classic tank control RE games.

You could probably get away with doing this for a Jill/Claire combo but Leon and Chris have a sort of Ryu and Ken relationship in terms of the moves their known for. Chris is more straightforward and is all about punching things and Leon is more stylish and kick oriented. Plus the difference in their builds physically.

If it was strictly RE1-CV focused then you could maybe squeeze all four into a Hero situation.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
One thing I wish to say while we are still on the Resetti thing; I must admit, I may have exaggerated Resetti's case, as a Smash character and as a character in Animal Crossing a bit, by which I mean more than a bit. I must say that I should admit that Resetti does or may seem to have more going against him, and he has changed a lot since his early days.

That said, I still think Resetti's possible situation in Smash Bros. would be different from his situation in his early days as an Animal Crossing character. I honestly don't know as to what extent, but I can't see him be so scary in Smash the same way he was in Animal Crossing.

Top Bottom