• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I rarely get mad on here, but today I have to make an exception.
You are Nintendo. You have decided that apropros of nothing, you will finally give the rest of the world three games from a series dormant for almost 15 years. This is the first time ever that you are officially giving the rest of the world these games, these games that have a LOT of text and story in them. You have the potential to revitalize interest in this series with this move.
And then you choose to leave these games entirely untranslated even though Western audiences will be able to readily play these games tomorrow.

WHY???
What is the point of doing this? There have been other games on the service left untranslated, but leaving the Starfy games untranslated is going to seriously hurt in this instance. The games are a lot more dialogue and story-driven than the average Nintendo platformer--each stage has multiple cutscenes each, and the three games are overall very character-driven. Having the games untranslated is going to leave a terrible first impression on the average player using the NSO service, which is going to be fatal if Nintendo's intent with doing this is to measure interest in the series going forward. If Nintendo seriously cares this little, they might as well have put Mother 3 untranslated on the English service as well, but they didn't! This whole inconsistent treatment of Japanese-only games on NSO is genuinely infuriating--I genuinely would've been less angry if we got random shovelware and only the Japanese NSO got the Starfy games.

Between this and what happened to Madou Monogatari 4 today, I'm genuinely upset. It feels like this was done just to hurt me in particular.
Ah so this is what Chibi-Robo fans felt like when Zip-Lash came out.

You have a point though, why would they release these story based games untranslated, but not Mother 3? Is it because they knew westerners would be furious or is it the fact that Starfy is a platformer and they therefore thought it'd be fine?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ah so this is what Chibi-Robo fans felt like when Zip-Lash came out.

You have a point though, why would they release these story based games untranslated, but not Mother 3? Is it because they knew westerners would be furious or is it the fact that Starfy is a platformer and they therefore thought it'd be fine?
It might be because Starfy is a platformer while Mother 3 is an RPG. Yeah, Starfy is story-focused, but compared to Mother 3? Where the story is LITERALLY THE MAIN APPEAL? They probably felt it'd be easier to justify leaving it as is.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With due respect to Starfy, it's because these are fairly simple platformers accessible to children and Mother 3 is an RPG that lives and dies off its story. Its core gameplay is reliant on text. Even though something is lost by not entirely being plugged into Starfy's narrative - I only played the DS one, but I recall it having a substantial amt of text to move the story forward - you can still theoretically complete the game without much trouble.

Puyo 2 is on NSO also and similarly has a lot of great dialogue that goes untranslated. But it's an easily understood game in execution, so it's still fine to play on there. I really wish the Starfy games were translated too, but maybe I'll use them to practice learning Japanese instead.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It would be weird if only some characters had acknowledgement of their games and others don't. I think Sakurai might decide to represent E-rated games only next game in order to preserve Smash's legacy as a crossover game.
Nintendo would 100% include enough to Smash to bump the rating up to T rather than cutting all of the T rated characters to maintain an E10+.

They're not cutting Samus, Ness, Shulk, and every post-Tellius Fire Emblem character, not to mention Ryu of all third parties.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
With due respect to Starfy, it's because these are fairly simple platformers accessible to children and Mother 3 is an RPG that lives and dies off its story. Its core gameplay is reliant on text. Even though something is lost by not entirely being plugged into Starfy's narrative - I only played the DS one, but I recall it having a substantial amt of text to move the story forward - you can still theoretically complete the game without much trouble.

Puyo 2 is on NSO also and similarly has a lot of great dialogue that goes untranslated. But it's an easily understood game in execution, so it's still fine to play on there. I really wish the Starfy games were translated too, but maybe I'll use them to practice learning Japanese instead.
It just feels jarring to have Nintendo bring attention to this but not go the extra mile at all. While others have raised points about other games not being translated but put on here anyway, it stings more when it happens to a game that's behind the more expensive Expansion Pack. I don't usually go for this kind of angle, but I genuinely don't see why I should go out of my way to get the Expansion Pass for this when I could just watch fan-translated playthroughs instead (there do exist videos for that, FYI.)
Also, I wouldn't really compare this to Super Puyo 2's case, since the latter has a pretty short single-player experience, you aren't guaranteed to see every cutscene the game has to offer in a single run, and the only other text present in the game is for the menus. A different case compared to three full games with pretty involved narratives, as you described.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So this came out of nowhere!
A day after showing that teaser for "Emio", all of the sudden, Starfy 1, 2 and 3 are coming over to the West on the GBA NSO! Sadly untranslated, but still(hopefully this means Custom Robo V1 and V2 for the West N64 NSO). And the NES NSO Update with the 7 NES games was just around 8 days ago, near the start of the month.

When did Nintendo start cooking and why are they cooking so quickly?
This kinda gives me hope for Fire Emblem 6 and MOTHER 3. :ultroy::ultlucas: That would be amazing.

Except, well, they'd need to translate these games. Just realized the Starfy games aren't getting that, which really hurts the availability. I cannot comprehend this logic.

But yeah, might as well bring Japanese FE6 and MOTHER 3 then. Why not? Troll us good while you're at it.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
The whole conversation about Emio got me thinking: am I the only one who thinks this new ESRB rule won't impact Smash at all? It seems like other E-rated games are fine referencing other T- and even M-rated games by name. Everyone's overreacting. Also there's no way these shareholders will let Nintendo use their IP if they aren't even allowed to name the game... that's pretty insulting.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The whole conversation about Emio got me thinking: am I the only one who thinks this new ESRB rule won't impact Smash at all? It seems like other E-rated games are fine referencing other T- and even M-rated games by name. Everyone's overreacting. Also there's no way these shareholders will let Nintendo use their IP if they aren't even allowed to name the game... that's pretty insulting.
I'm in the camp of wait-n-see. I hadn't even heard of there being changes to ESRB and until now it's been very vague in terms of what actually will or won't happen. Basically until it's learned Snake is being cut because of this or Smash 6 gets a higher rating to avoid losing him, etc I'm not losing sleep.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
When it comes to the Emio teaser Being age restricted that cause the game is for adults so for all intends and purposes Kids Shouldnt know about it because they shouldnt/ Cant play it!
I mean thats still better than giving your 3 year old kid a mascot horror plush!

NO IM NOT UPSET THAT FRIGGIN HUGGY WUGGY GETS MORE PLUSH LOVE THAN LINK!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nintendo would 100% include enough to Smash to bump the rating up to T rather than cutting all of the T rated characters to maintain an E10+.

They're not cutting Samus, Ness, Shulk, and every post-Tellius Fire Emblem character, not to mention Ryu of all third parties.
I don't know if Nintendo would want Smash to get a T-rating out of fear of alienating the game's target audience of kids, and Game Freak might also completely pull all involvement in the game if they go for a higher rating.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don't know if Nintendo would want Smash to get a T-rating out of fear of alienating the game's target audience of kids, and Game Freak might also completely pull all involvement in the game if they go for a higher rating.
I mean its USK 12+ In german so i dunno!
As Long as the game isnt Bloody or gorey and not too creepy everything should be fine!
Also especially ultimate suffered from censorship for some Characters so a slightly higher rating could help with that!

I mean Pyra and mythra better get their Actual Main Designs if they return!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, that'd be something, wouldn't it?
71aV0SbNGCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Please be serious.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's 2024, people do not care about T-ratings these days lmao. Fortnite is rated T and it's played by countless kids.

As for GameFreak, I mean, Brawl and Melee already exist. They've been through this song and dance before. Hell, they've already made their bed with the M rated characters that have representation already (:ultsnake::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:). They'd be foolish to act like it's suddenly an issue.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's 2024, people do not care about T-ratings these days lmao. Fortnite is rated T and it's played by countless kids.

As for GameFreak, I mean, Brawl and Melee already exist. They've been through this song and dance before. Hell, they've already made their bed with the M rated characters that have representation already (:ultsnake::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:). They'd be foolish to act like it's suddenly an issue.
I guarantee he replies to this with "The E10+ rating didn't exist when Melee came out" and nothing else, not debating anything of substance.

Stratos

Smash Lord
All that with the rating, I never thought they could change the rating in any video game. Of course, for a company to create a new video game that has a different rating from the others it makes, that is another matter.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
While we’re on the subject of ratings there’s something I don’t get. What exactly does not mentioning the game by name achieve? Especially when the characters and their outfits are still allowed
I mean... nothing really? People will still know who the characters are. It seems like they're only doing this just to not piss off the ratings boards.

Which... yeah, if they're that stubborn when it comes to even simply saying the name of a franchise, maybe a slightly higher rating isn't that bad of an idea.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Given how many crossovers there have been post this ESRB change with major m-rated series and kids games, I get the impression most companies don't really care lol. Any non-indie or nintendo series probably isn't going to turn its nose up at Fortnite no matter what.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean... nothing really? People will still know who the characters are. It seems like they're only doing this just to not piss off the ratings boards.

Which... yeah, if they're that stubborn when it comes to even simply saying the name of a franchise, maybe a slightly higher rating isn't that bad of an idea.
seems like a pretty big flaw for a rating system if it be get around like that

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
seems like a pretty big flaw for a rating system if it be get around like that
The rating system only exists because of a 90s moral panic over Night Trap and Mortal Kombat. It was never anything more than a bit of performative grandstanding to get in the good graces of a conservative voting population. "Think of the children" and all that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The rating system only exists because of a 90s moral panic over Night Trap and Mortal Kombat. It was never anything more than a bit of performative grandstanding to get in the good graces of a conservative voting population. "Think of the children" and all that.
ah yes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While we’re on the subject of ratings there’s something I don’t get. What exactly does not mentioning the game by name achieve? Especially when the characters and their outfits are still allowed
Literally nothing. This is a very "my work here is done" "but you didn't do anything" cape swoosh kind of a rule.

The idea itself does have value. It's good for parents to know what their child is getting themselves into. There are some flaws like really vague categories and bias within the system, but overall it's a good thing that it exists.

Rules like this are kinda dumb though because it assumes parents aren't watching their kids at all. Maybe they're worried that the child will look up one of the games without their parent's knowledge but...I dunno. Considering that stuff like Happy Tree Friends was a thing I don't feel like that's as big an issue as the suits believe.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Me reading the minds of Sakurai and fellow Nintendo executive shareholders to discern what they would be most comfortable implementing for their next installment so I may disguise my personal opinion under the coat of the righteous

1720791901635.gif

The idea itself does have value. It's good for parents to know what their child is getting themselves into.
When I was 12, I watched my aunt buy my cousin Black Ops 2 and GTA V without hesitation.

He was 9. :sakbanjo:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When I was 12, I watched my aunt buy my cousin Black Ops 2 and GTA V without hesitation.

He was 9. :sakbanjo:
There's no accounting for adults being dumb. lol

A relative of mine took her child to see a very R rated movie. The two left really early on and she went to chew out the poor clerk at the front desk.

"Ma'am. The movie was rated R."
"REGULAR AUDIENCE?!?"
"No! Restricted!"

Granted this was a long time ago so the rating system was probably new at the time, but still.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Melee and Brawl were rated T.
The entire series has been rated 12+ in Europe since its inception. I promise y'all no one cares about this that much.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The Rating system is rather superfluous in general with the only real discerning factor being M.

You could literally break the rating system into games Rated M and games Not Rated M and it would work just as well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Rating system is rather superfluous in general with the only real discerning factor being M.

You could literally break the rating system into games Rated M and games Not Rated M and it would work just as well.
I'd argue that there are some T rated games that you probably don't want little children to play but then again, this becomes a matter of doing parents' job for them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ll admit I am quite curious about how PEGI does things differently, something I ought to look into, after all we got the game titles for the most part

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Granted this was a long time ago so the rating system was probably new at the time, but still.
The ratings system was founded in the 60s, are you saying you're 60 years old?

That said, I feel like the same misassumptions about Gremlins and Temple of Doom's PG ratings that resulted in PG-13 being created are bound to happen again soon, with movies like the Paw Patrol ones that are explicitly targeted at preschoolers receiving that rating now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The ratings system was founded in the 60s, are you saying you're 60 years old?
I was not involved in this story. I don't remember when this was said to have happened, but it was before my time.

EDIT:
That said, I feel like the same misassumptions about Gremlins and Temple of Doom's PG ratings that resulted in PG-13 being created are bound to happen again soon, with movies like the Paw Patrol ones that are explicitly targeted at preschoolers receiving that rating now.
Wait, really? That's super weird. From what very little I've seen of both the show and the movie, it looks like the movie is more dramatic with its stakes, so maybe that's why? Still pretty weird.

There's also funny stuff that happens when media ages. Like, Darksiders has gore, but the graphics are so outdated that it wouldn't be disturbing enough to justify an M rating nowadays. It's pretty analogous to all those kids shows that dismember robots.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait, really? That's super weird. From what very little I've seen of both the show and the movie, it looks like the movie is more dramatic with its stakes, so maybe that's why? Still pretty weird.
The PG rating is joked about that it now stands for "Practically G" due to all the movies made for little kids that have it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Raiders of the Lost Ark was released in 1981 with a PG rating and it was so scary for a 5 year old lol but I wonder if today's 5 year olds would be equally as affected or if they would find it really cheesy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Raiders of the Lost Ark was released in 1981 with a PG rating and it was so scary for a 5 year old lol but I wonder if today's 5 year olds would be equally as affected or if they would find it really cheesy.
Well I'm not exactly today's 5 year old, but I couldn't handle that movie even at age 10.

...Though before that I was traumatized by the Deep Trouble episode of Goosebumps and the Ben 10 episode where an old lady turns into a zombie so maybe I'm an outlier that shouldn't be counted. FNaF is the only reason why I can handle horror in any capacity nowadays. lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing to note is that PG-rated movies from the 80's can get TV-14 ratings when aired on TV. That's the same rating that some R-rated movies get, as well as the rating a lot of classic South Park episodes now have as of 2012.

Noipoi

Howdy!
PG meant something totally different back in those days though.

Today PG is basically G but with one or two subtle adult jokes. Back in the 80s PG ran the gamut from child friendly to “We’re gonna show you people dying, drugs, maybe a little sex, and even more people dying. If you don’t like it Care Bears is next door.”

Top Bottom