• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, Super Smash Bros. is in a pretty unique spot
Sure. But that doesn't mean all other comparisons to all other video games everywhere becomes automatically invalid. Because then I could use the same excuse to counter any argument as well.

"Sorry, your logic doesn't matter, because Smash unique."

I know no one wants to lose the big roster, but I'm just trying to get around the obfuscation and get to some direct questions which on your end should be defensible if you believe Ultimate Deluxe wouldn't definitely sell worse than Smash 6.
Because you're asking me prove something that can't be proven. Because there's no evidence for it. But then you're acting like that's proof that what you're saying IS true. But it's not.

You can't prove that Smash 6 would outsell Ultimate Deluxe any more than I can prove Ultimate Deluxe would outsell Smash 6.

All I can do is point so some instances of a previous game's DLC outselling the sequel(like, say, Cities: Skylines). At which point someone goes "Well that doesn't count because [insert random difference between two games]"

I feel like some dudes underestimate the fact that all people really need to see is a trailer with Master Chief and some Waluigi memes and they'll be down with the new Smash. It's not like they'll turn their nose up at a brand new Super Smash Bros because Young Link isn't on the roster.
Sure. But by that same token, if you go "Smash Ultimate, now with Master Chief and Waluigi!" they'd be just as down. They're not going to turn their noses up at a better running version of Smash with more characters because its a rerelease.

Eh, people aren't always willing to defend their points. Which just means there's nothing to pursue conversation-wise. It's better to move on when someone just dodges the question. Either they can answer it, or are ignoring it, or don't know enough to give an actual answer.
And sometimes, people think that if they type more words, it automatically makes their argument more valid.

It doesn't. Sometimes it's just filler, meant to make the argument seem more intelligent or supported than it is.

Smash Bros discussion should be fun, not tedious.
We're 56 thousand posts into this topic... There are limits to the number of ways you can assemble human language together.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’ve never understood people complaining about being lied to when it comes to these games. Of course they lied, that’s what marketing is.
No it's not. It's about showing off the product and why it's worth getting. Lies and misdirection aren't a part of that assignment. In fact, to a certain degree it's literally illegal.

but I think you’re missing the point. It’s not that sword and shield sold well it’s that they’re the second best selling in the series. That is a lofty position to hold and you don’t achieve it through people wanting to see how bad something is. These games sold better than than every game the fandom say they have no complaints about.
I wasn't trying to imply that everyone was hate playing the game or something, just that the discourse probably kept the games in people's minds more. I also listed the fact that it was the first mainline Pokémon title on a home console. That alone is super enticing.

And honestly I think you're missing my point. It's not that the series is doing poorly now. It objectively isn't. It just isn't on a sustainable course. It seems they may be moving to fix that, but if they don't, it will probably start to show beyond people yelling online and then buying the games anyway.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Did anyone predict that Smash would eventually get a roster so large it couldn't be sustainable say back in the melee or brawl days? Or that "Everyone is here" would lead to some fans clamouring for "and it'll be forever?" Just curious, in retrospect because I didn't get into speculation until half way through fighter pass 2...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Shantae would rock. I'd also vote for sans, Shovel Knight, Cuphead ... any popular independent oc.
I still don't think Shantae counts as an indie character anymore. Because WayForward is too large to still be considered an indie company at this point.

Did anyone predict that Smash would eventually get a roster so large it couldn't be sustainable say back in the melee or brawl days?
I didn't.

Or that "Everyone is here" would lead to some fans clamouring for "and it'll be forever?"
Yes. I knew as soon as it was announced that I'd want it to always be a thing. :p

For the same reason I was annoyed about Dexit, I'll be annoyed about EiHxit when it happens.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No it's not. It's about showing off the product and why it's worth getting. Lies and misdirection aren't a part of that assignment. In fact, to a certain degree it's literally illegal.

I wasn't trying to imply that everyone was hate playing the game or something, just that the discourse probably kept the games in people's minds more. I also listed the fact that it was the first mainline Pokémon title on a home console. That alone is super enticing.

And honestly I think you're missing my point. It's not that the series is doing poorly now. It objectively isn't. It just isn't on a sustainable course. It seems they may be moving to fix that, but if they don't, it will probably start to show beyond people yelling online and then buying the games anyway.
well i just it hard to give credibility to the fandom that cried wolf

Did anyone predict that Smash would eventually get a roster so large it couldn't be sustainable say back in the melee or brawl days? Or that "Everyone is here" would lead to some fans clamouring for "and it'll be forever?" Just curious, in retrospect because I didn't get into speculation until half way through fighter pass 2...
i know i certainly didn't

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Real talk, I think I'm gonna step away from honest Smash speculation until the next game is announced. Right now, speculation has done nothing but keep going in circles over and over again and it's not fun for me anymore.
I'm considering doing the same. Most times, I can't even think of what to say here.

That, and speculation does get tiring...

Although, I don't know if I have the willpower either.

To break up the monotony of the current conversation, what characters from the 2000s do you think could be added.
Does Joanna Dark count?

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
And sometimes, people think that if they type more words, it automatically makes their argument more valid.

It doesn't. Sometimes it's just filler, meant to make the argument seem more intelligent or supported than it is.
Yeah, certain people need to stop making these ridiculously long posts on things they could easily say in just a couple of sentences. It's very unnecessary.

To break up the monotony of the current conversation, what characters from the 2000s do you think could be added.
Isaac and Felix (Golden Sun).
Travis (No More Heroes).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I still don't think Shantae counts as an indie character anymore. Because WayForward is too large to still be considered an indie company at this point.
I didn't realize. Ooo she could be the first 3rd party from a company not in smash that also started after all the giants already in the game.

But riddle me this why is shovel Knight an assist and she isnt in your opinion? Was she already too big to play ball back during Ultimate dev? I never played her games but her design is great and I know she's mega popular so it's a safe horse to back. But maybe less so eh?

A new bar then? Characters from" independent" studios who are basically too big for Nintendo to approach without the expected bag and budget means putting the bigger bags into the giant's hands first ofc...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Aren't indie game developers studios that aren't owned or backed by video game publishers?

I think in that case, WayForward still would count as indie regardless of its size.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Monster Hunter seems like a pretty safe answer here. Shadow as well.

In terms of first party, I think Ashley might have an alright shot next time. WarioWare's been getting some decent attention over the years.

But riddle me this why is shovel Knight an assist and she isnt in your opinion? Was she already too big to play ball back during Ultimate dev? I never played her games but her design is great and I know she's mega popular so it's a safe horse to back. But maybe less so eh?
Shovel Knight had some strong ties to Nintendo even before Ultimate, what with the amiibo he got a couple of years prior and Nintendo actually publishing the game in Japan. Probably was pretty easy to contact Yacht Club and get the rights to him for the AT.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel very stubborn about considering a third Animal Crossing character. It's a big series, yes, but something doesn't sit right about a potential third Villager running around; compared to the Marth or Fox archetype, I feel that turning Villager into a complete character archetype would fly in the face of what made the Villager an interesting inclusion in the first place, being a non-fighter whose tools and objects are refitted for a fighting game context. I gave Isabelle a pass primarily because she is overwhelmingly popular, but I think any more beyond her would run the risk of making the once-unique Villager feel...ordinary. It'd be like if I took Mr. Game & Watch's concept and added a "Mr. Famicom" and "Mr. Arcade" alongside him. Sure, the latter two would have great potential for unique toolsets, but now Mr. Game & Watch doesn't feel really all that special any more.
I understand this perspective, but I do think it's a bit dismissive of someone like Tom Nook or KK Slider's potential. Because yeah, at face value it's yet another quirky "non-fighter" moveset. But Tom Nook for example, he's got certain thematic elements and design traits that would effectively make him incompatible with Villager's kit in the first place. He has a slight snobbishness to him, he feels somewhat above the likes of using a slingshot or fireworks. His tail opens up more direct physical combat opportunities, he's got the Nooklings for potential assists, his role within the games begs for some sort of bells mechanic / install situation. The most I see him sharing with Villager and Isabelle is basically Pocket - which I think is an okay unifying factor between the three. My idea for Nook's Pocket is that instead of storing an item and throwing it back he exchanges whatever he grabbed for bells. And no need to get into KK Slider, a music oriented kit and a guitar are more than enough to start building off of.

But I do understand the concern. Admittedly though, I don't know if it matters to them that much? I would argue Marth has lost his luster a bit over the years too through the expansion of his own series and the retooling of his own kit - in Melee his role as a stoic, calculated swordsman really stood out among a crowd of wacky Nintendo characters. Over time more characters who looked, spoke and acted similarly to Marth were added, as well as eventually three different spins on his moveset, and his "straightman" essence doesn't really pop anymore. And a common complaint with the roster in general is the way old legacy characters have by proxy become less compelling than all the flashy new ones with fancy gadgets.

Now of course it's understandable why Fire Emblem grew the way it did, but to the same token it's understandable why Animal Crossing would too. Tom Nook is one of the biggest absent Nintendo characters and the series is responsible for possibly the Switch's biggest breakout success story. New Horizons is one of the definitive games of the last console generation and the series is of higher value to the Nintendo brand than ever. Nook is often occupying the same space as major Nintendo mascots such as Peach and Link. So ignoring him for the sake of keeping Villager's integrity as a "non-fighter", even though Isabelle exists and even though we have characters like G&W, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt etc of a similar essence, feels unnecessary to me. Because sure it does make Villager a bit less special, but by the logic applied here Isabelle already did that and Nook isn't really that far behind her.

Which is to say at the end of the day, I don't even inherently disagree with your perspective here - I just think that's more what you think is appropriate, rather than the precedent that Smash has already established. Which is fine, I respect your opinion on it but I think AC's strong notoriety and the existing potential of a few big names off the series make it a no-brainer to pull from for new characters and appeal to a wide market. These guys have asserted themselves as some of Nintendo's most marketable and beloved characters, so it's becoming hard to neglect that.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Tom Nook, I know AC gets overlooked due to the nature of the series, but it remains one og Nintendo's most popular and Tom Nook is still a beloved character people would like to see from it.

As said before, Monster Hunter is one to keep an eye on. It's a very popular series that has only grown in recent years and still maintains a strong presence, and the Hunter is still a popular request from the franchise's fans.

Ace Attorney and Phoenix Wright are also good possibilities as they remain a beloved part of Capcom's franchises and characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People predicted that Smash 4's roster wasn't going to be that much bigger than Brawl and that it was as big as Smash was going to go back in the day, but that was mainly because everyone had their expectations sky high back during the Brawl day's only for it to come crashing down when they found out the roster was much smaller than they had initially dreamed expected.

Which is funny looking back how small Brawl's roster looks now compared to Ultimate...

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone predict that Smash would eventually get a roster so large it couldn't be sustainable say back in the melee or brawl days?
Sakurai kinda did.
This him after Brawl, before Smash 4: "In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed."

And this is him After Smash 4, before Ultimate: "At the same time, if we were to keep adding popular characters to Smash as DLC, we’d eat up IPs in no time flat. Moreover, people’s “shock and awe” would gradually start to fade. If at some point in the future we had 100 characters in Smash, adding the 101st character wouldn’t have the same impact as new fighters have had up until now. In that sense, I feel now is the perfect time to close the curtains on development."

It's almost like he posted here 😛

I'm sorry I haven't answered to everyone who quoted me, but I don't have much time to post. One long post per day Is usually the most I can manage. I'll try to answer back when I have time.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
2000s characters, that's a really big topic. You have some characters debuting in the 2000s who are still very prominent, like Waluigi or Tom Nook, some very popular one-off types like Midna or Lyn, a litter of unrepped franchises including the aforementioned Golden Sun and Advance Wars, and several still-popular Pokémon. And we could go on: WarioWare characters technically, Krystal from Star Fox...but this is already turning more list-post-y than I'd like. Point is, it's a deep group. Sure, you could say most are more unlikely than likely, but certainly no shortage of merit and popularity.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Waluigi: One of the largest fan requests right now.
Ashley: Wario Ware has been pretty successful recently, and she is one of the more prominent characters.
Tom Nook/K.K. Slider: Animal Crossing is a behemoth in terms of popularity like Super Mario, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Splatoon, and I think it’s just a matter of who interests Sakurai the most gameplay wise.
Shadow: A second Sonic character isn’t out of the question, and he is one of the four leading choices.
Master Chief: Halo is a notable franchise, and it seems that Nintendo and Microsoft have a pretty good relationship at the moment.
Dante: He was requested and has a Mii outfit.

What I want but don’t see as realistic.
Isaac: I’m not sure his level of fan demand is large enough to overcome Golden Sun’s obscurity at the moment.
Tidus

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Very Confident - Waluigi, Tom Nook
It's easy to forget these two belong to any era in particular, but they debuted right at the cusp of the new millennium. I think Mario and Animal Crossing are pretty much assured brand new content to keep the roster appealing to an audience predominantly familiar with Nintendo's biggest series. One is arguably the most popular fan request at the moment and the other is the most significant character absent from his respective series.

Have a Good Feeling - Isaac, Monster Hunter
I believe Isaac's fan demand and the nostalgia surrounding Golden Sun has become prominent enough for him to be as serious a contender as he's ever been. Meanwhile Monster Hunter continues to be a huge success for Capcom and Nintendo alike, already has a presence in Ultimate and continues to be a near Dragon Quest level phenomenon in Japan. As long as there are no issues with making the Hunter playable, it really just feels like a no-brainer.

Could Happen - Skull Kid, Lyn, Paper Mario, Lloyd Irving / Yuri Lowell, Shadow the Hedgehog...
Bit more of a mixed list here, but mostly want to highlight the first two. Skull Kid and Lyn are victims of their series moving forward without them, due to the fleeting nature of Zelda villains and FE protagonists respectively. But despite this have managed to maintain a strong following and remain icons within their series to this day. Majora's Mask is one of Zelda's biggest pieces of iconography and Lyn manages to stand among Marth and Ike as one of the faces of Fire Emblem, and demonstrably one of its most popular characters. I place this in the "could happen" category because it wouldn't be all that surprising to see them neglected yet again in favor of new content from their series, but their persistence would make their addition feel warranted at any point.

And oh yeah, I guess Master Chief is a 2000s character too. He's kind of THE 2000s character, actually. But for what it's worth, I was thinking more in the realm of base game picks and I don't see him as a practical choice until DLC kicks in post-release. Hence why I'm not hitting on too many third party characters outside some of the most obvious returning collaborators and series here.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Aren't indie game developers studios that aren't owned or backed by video game publishers?
How is WayForward not also a video game publisher?

The only thing that makes a company indie is it's size.

WayForward is much smaller than someone like Capcom, but much larger than someone like Team Cherry.

WayForward produces a steady stream of games, including many licensed properties, and has over a hundred employees at this point. I don't see how that can still qualify as indie.

Borskaboska

Smash Rookie
Ya know I can't really get behind the idea of Tom Nook in smash. Maybe if he got in brawl, but nowadays they portray him as just an old guy. He doesn't really strike me as the fighting type tbh. He probably has back issues.

Once they started putting him in sweater vests his chances were OVER.

If they had to add another AC rep, I'd probably go with Resetti. He seems like he has enough free time.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ya know I can't really get behind the idea of Tom Nook in smash. Maybe if he got in brawl, but nowadays they portray him as just an old guy. He doesn't really strike me as the fighting type tbh. He probably has back issues.

If they had to add another AC rep, I'd probably go with Resetti. He seems like he has enough free time.
I can't say I agree as this is similar to the arguments we saw with Isabelle. Many fans back in Ultimate's pre-release period argued that she shouldn't be a fighter because she's a pacifist and is never involved in fighting, with even some pointing to her Smash 4 AT as proof as she hands out healing items and avoids attacks. Yet, she still got upgraded to a playable fighter despite the arguments made against her. Tom Nook being an old guy doesn't stop him from being a potential fighter, as long as they can think up a way to make him work they can easily make him playable.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Very Confident - Waluigi, Tom Nook
It's easy to forget these two belong to any era in particular, but they debuted right at the cusp of the new millennium. I think Mario and Animal Crossing are pretty much assured brand new content to keep the roster appealing to an audience predominantly familiar with Nintendo's biggest series. One is arguably the most popular fan request at the moment and the other is the most significant character absent from his respective series.

Have a Good Feeling - Isaac, Monster Hunter
I believe Isaac's fan demand and the nostalgia surrounding Golden Sun has become prominent enough for him to be as serious a contender as he's ever been. Meanwhile Monster Hunter continues to be a huge success for Capcom and Nintendo alike, already has a presence in Ultimate and continues to be a near Dragon Quest level phenomenon in Japan. As long as there are no issues with making the Hunter playable, it really just feels like a no-brainer.

Could Happen - Skull Kid, Lyn, Paper Mario, Lloyd Irving / Yuri Lowell, Shadow the Hedgehog...
Bit more of a mixed list here, but mostly want to highlight the first two. Skull Kid and Lyn are victims of their series moving forward without them, due to the fleeting nature of Zelda villains and FE protagonists respectively. But despite this have managed to maintain a strong following and remain icons within their series to this day. Majora's Mask is one of Zelda's biggest pieces of iconography and Lyn manages to stand among Marth and Ike as one of the faces of Fire Emblem, and demonstrably one of its most popular characters. I place this in the "could happen" category because it wouldn't be all that surprising to see them neglected yet again in favor of new content from their series, but their persistence would make their addition feel warranted at any point.

And oh yeah, I guess Master Chief is a 2000s character too. He's kind of THE 2000s character, actually. But for what it's worth, I was thinking more in the realm of base game picks and I don't see him as a practical choice until DLC kicks in post-release. Hence why I'm not hitting on too many third party characters outside some of the most obvious returning collaborators and series here.
No bwd? 🥺

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

bit ageist

Borskaboska

Smash Rookie
I can't say I agree as this is similar to the arguments we saw with Isabelle. Many fans back in Ultimate's pre-release period argued that she shouldn't be a fighter because she's a pacifist and is never involved in fighting, with even some pointing to her Smash 4 AT as proof as she hands out healing items and avoids attacks. Yet, she still got upgraded to a playable fighter despite the arguments made against her. Tom Nook being an old guy doesn't stop him from being a potential fighter, as long as they can think up a way to make him work they can easily make him playable.
i mean yeah, it's just my opinion. technically, they can do anything they want. But most people i think would say it'd be a little weird if Tortimer got into smash, so obviously there's some line where a character's in-game portrayal makes it weird for them to fight.

But idk they could probably cook up a cool moveset for nook revolving around piling on debt onto your opponent or something.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Resetti is a great idea, but he doesn't make a whole lot of sense these days without sufficient outcry to bring him back to the limelight. I like him a lot but the series has all but retired him, so it would be weird to see him make it into Smash when mainstays like Nook and KK Slider are still absent.

The way I see it, Animal Crossing is late to the party. Series like Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc all got to fill out their major players by Brawl... Animal Crossing has only had two games to do so, and has been incrementally growing. Inarguably, moveset potential aside (I've spoken on it before, you can scroll up a bit for a brief breakdown), Tom Nook is a cornerstone of the series and one of the most important characters relative to series importance missing from the roster. After such a blowout success in New Horizons, I'd just be surprised to see them neglect that.

The only other option I can see it KK Slider getting in instead, as a similarly prominent series fixture and one who might have more distinct moveset potential. Beyond that, I still think Animal Crossing is pretty much assured a new fighter in line with its current series trajectory. There's even a slight possibility we could see BOTH of these guys, honestly. But if anything I think Nook's stuffiness makes him a more compelling and fun fighter, it gives him a unique flair against Villager and Isabelle who are more happy go lucky and concerned about cute lifestyle activities.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Animal Crossing just doesn't offer much when it comes to moveset potential, which is a given as it's a life simulation game with not a lot of action. Villager already covers a lot of what the player can do in the game in his moveset, and Isabelle had to share some attacks with him. I think that we might be in for more Villager semi-clones if AC does get more reps.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The absolute max AC can bring to the roster is Villager, Isabelle, Tom Nook, K.K Slider, and Resetti. Everyone else is just stuff that can be easily done by those five. And even thats REALLY stretching the potential of AC for fighter candidates.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Animal Crossing just doesn't offer much when it comes to moveset potential, which is a given as it's a life simulation game with not a lot of action. Villager already covers a lot of what the player can do in the game in his moveset, and Isabelle had to share some attacks with him. I think that we might be in for more Villager semi-clones if AC does get more reps.
I wish people who kept saying this would actually read the dozens of times we've spoken about this and provided all sorts of different directions that can be taken to fill out Tom Nook's moveset. Let alone KK Slider, who I can't see operating remotely similar to any of these three.

You could argue for Nook to be, very loosely, a semiclone. But at worst we'd be talking something equivalent to Wolf, who is barely a Fox clone at all and just shares a couple basic special move concepts. This hypothetical Animal Crossing trio probably all possess some version of Pocket, and not much else in common. Smash is concerned with character accuracy, enough not to make Isabelle an echo in the first place, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for someone with Nook's personality to be whipping out a slingshot for example.

The absolute max AC can bring to the roster is Villager, Isabelle, Tom Nook, K.K Slider, and Resetti. Everyone else is just stuff that can be easily done by those five. And even thats REALLY stretching the potential of AC for fighter candidates.
Truthfully I only think Villager, Isabelle and Tom Nook are 100% necessary. KK Slider serves his role nicely as a Smashville easter egg and Resetti is MIA (they should at least bring him back as an AT). It's just when people deny the potential that any of these characters uniquely possess it can be a little frustrating. Either way I'd gladly accept any of those three as newcomers, but I wanted to also make it clear I'm not trying to greedily say the series should have as many characters as Pokemon either. We really just need the one other Big Guy. Three characters is entirely fair and warranted for a series of its size.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
But like... Villager, Nook, Isabelle, Slider, Resetti would be an epic AC lineup.
And especially if we're just talking straight-up "would this character work and be unique" that would not be a stretch at all.
Nor is it everyone who could work. You could try Blathers focusing on the collecting aspect, a Timmy & Tommy duo, or Kapp'n with some kind of vehicle-based moveset, for example.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You just lack imagination, amigo :191:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Yeah, certain people need to stop making these ridiculously long posts on things they could easily say in just a couple of sentences. It's very unnecessary.
Oof. I'm probably in that camp somewhat, though more because my posts are just stream of consciousness and I do very little proofreading. It's why my longer posts are end on a very different not than they start.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Even ignoring my pfp, I'm going to provide counterpoints in Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle.

Also, Tom Nook feels like he's in his late 40s at the oldest

Top Bottom