• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Saying The House of the Dead Remake, or Panzer Dragoon Remake suck is fighting words honestly. The games are solid. They’re fun. That’s really all people could ask for out of these franchises that Sega had no care for.

Im not sure anyone these days really remembers what a AA developer looks like but Forever definitely fits that bill. They’re not top of the line games and that’s fine. The games are fine. Saying they suck because these $40 Remakes have issues at launch is disingenuous when the rest of the industry is content at selling you half a game that doesn’t even work for $70.
Maybe I was too mean to the SEGA remakes - I don't find them satisfying personally, but others might and I'll concede to that - but honestly I think their other releases are the worse issue here - the Front Mission remakes had terrible translations that ppl genuinely thought were machine-translated for a bit, Magical Drop VI from my understanding was practically broken at launch and they keep falling behind on patches.....these are releases by them that I do find inexcusable, and even in the less offensive scenarios like the aforementioned SEGA remakes, I just....don't get the sense that Forever really particularly puts a lot of effort into these games, and that frustrates me, because I feel like a lot of these old games and franchises deserve better than what Forever's going to give them and yet they're always the guys who manage to snatch these up, especially when stuff like PD and HotD ends up coming in lieu of more faithful reissues. This is a smaller issue but HotD didn't even have the original music, for example. DKCRHD is probably going to be the least bad case so far, as it's a straight port and maybe Nintendo might be overseeing it more closely? Genuinely sorry if I got too carried away, but I've just been consistently let down by what I see from this studio

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
If were going with Adventure game protags i think Phoenix or Layton would be better options.
I can't imagine Ashley begin playable, Layton seems like the most fit adventure game rep tho, he actually fights a few times.

feel like this Smash would go back to a slightly more slow burn approach like the Dojo
I completely agree, i think Ultimate was just diferent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Needs more Bernard Bernoulli.
Yeah, I wanted to limit it in scope to two Nintendo, two western third party, and two JP third party just for size reasons, but if I added more to the western side I'd've absolutely given Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, and Space Quest a shout lol.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If we end up having a bigger newcomer list like Brawl and Smash 4, this is my prediction:
1. Waluigi
2. Octoling
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Dixie Kong
5. Mio and/or Noah
6. Takamaru
7. Ring Fit Trainee
8. Officer Howard
9. Isaac
10. Alucard
11. 2B
12. Crash Bandicoot
13. Geno
14. Master Chief

Noipoi

Howdy!
Was thinking about Legends Z-A, because I’m always thinking about Pokemon. This is all hypothetical, but so is all the other **** we talk about so who cares?

If the Kalos starters get new Mega Evolutions, should Mega Greninja replace Ash Greninja in his final smash?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Was thinking about Legends Z-A, because I’m always thinking about Pokemon. This is all hypothetical, but so is all the other **** we talk about so who cares?

If the Kalos starters get new Mega Evolutions, should Mega Greninja replace Ash Greninja in his final smash?
Probably, considering Battle Bond doesn't even turn Greninja into Ash-Greninja anymore so it's basically non-existent in the games lol

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I don't know why people are adding what are essentially Japan-only characters to their predictions, like Takamaru and Sukapon. It's true they're not technically Japan-only anymore, but what they have isn't nearly enough to actually address Sakurai's concerns regarding those kind of characters.

That's also putting aside that the precedent for token retro characters has ended.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably, considering Battle Bond doesn't even turn Greninja into Ash-Greninja anymore so it's basically non-existent in the games lol
They could easily turn Ash Greninja into Mega Greninja.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
That's fair, but I feel like this Smash would go back to a slightly more slow burn approach like the Dojo, probably with more frequent updates (should stress I mean bigger updates like veterans and things, since TECHNICALLY Smash 4 updated every day lol) than Smash 4's "nothing for a month after announcing the game and then revealing Olimar" deal due to having a bigger roster than 4.

I feel like Ultimate's was only as short as it was because Everyone is Here means you knock out the veterans + Inkling (plus Ridley was at the end of that presentation) in pretty much one fell swoop minus the teaser, and then you only have to worry about showing off like 6 more characters and a handful of Echoes, so it makes sense to have a pretty short March/June-December prerelease since Everyone is Here and the official unveiling of the game's name already showed like 95% of the roster.
I don't think they're going back to some protracted showing. For one, I don't think they need to, schedule-wise. I think Smash 6 can probably be out by 2026, and 2025 will be dedicated to the Switch 2's launch window lineup. So I think Smash 6's pre-release promotion will last less than a year.

Most Nintendo games these days exist less than a year from reveal to release, barring delays.

Plus, the way the DOJO worked is less conducive to how engagement works these days. It's great for the diehards who will bother to check every day, but concentrating the content into a select few shows is much more shareable and reactable. Also, iirc, Sakurai seemed to dislike the time it took to make frequent notable updates.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I don't think a new Smash game has any chance to be released within the first year of the Switch 2. Hyper-focusing on Smash during year 1 would overshadow smaller titles that usually get released close to a system's release. 2026 is a lot more likely, both for the announcement and the release of a new Smash game.

Smash is kind of... greedy as a franchise. It's like Nintendo's spoiled "gifted" child. When it enters the scene, it takes all the attention. 2018 was basically the year of Ultimate, they had no other games planned because they just know Smash can carry an entire year. So...
They had few others games because they doubled down on 2017 to give the Switch momentum from the jump, because they were desperate for it to succeed. 2017 had more bigger games in that year than normal, and the casualty was fewer in 2018. It wasn't just because Smash commands all attention. They were allegedly planning to release Retro's cancelled game in 2018, but it didn't come together.

The two Smashes that preceded Ultimate released the same year as that system's Mario Kart. In fact on the Wii, those two only released one month apart. Smash can coexist with other titles in the same proximity. Even smaller ones. Nintendo released Bayonetta 2 in between Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U, so obviously they thought Smash wouldn't completely cannibalize it.

On the Switch Smash released less than a month apart from Pokemon's first main console release.

That said, I do agree a 2025 release isn't in the cards. Frankly I'd be surprised if we even got a tease. They just don't need to do any of that if they have a strong launch lineup. But that doesn't mean I think 2026 is going to be inherently sparse apart from Smash, though.

I think people get too upset at remakes for dormant series being announced usually they are a sign of a brand new release:
Metroid, 2d Zelda and Pikmin show this really well!
Im sure we get a new dkc in a few years!
I think they're just holding a new DK for the Switch 2. If they want to revive the series and have something to offer on their platform in the coming years concurrently with the theme park and probably the movie, makes sense they'd put it on the system that's actually going to be current then.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's also putting aside that the precedent for token retro characters has ended.
Not really? Smash 4 proved that "surprise" characters don't have to be from the 80s with Wii Fit Trainer, but still added Duck Hunt. Furthermore, SSBU only had Piranha Plant, but newcomer resources for the base game were so limited it had to be an early purchase bonus, and of course there wouldn't be two "surprise" newcomers like that when resources were that limited.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Not really? Smash 4 proved that "surprise" characters don't have to be from the 80s with Wii Fit Trainer, but still added Duck Hunt. Furthermore, SSBU only had Piranha Plant, but newcomer resources for the base game were so limited it had to be an early purchase bonus, and of course there wouldn't be two "surprise" newcomers like that when resources were that limited.
Token retro =/= no more retros. They can happen, but they'd have to be for some other reason. Duck Hunt fit the surprise choice, of which being highly identifiable is seemingly a requisite, so that would eliminate a good handful of remaining retros, in particular the Japan-leaning ones.

Btw WFT was surprising but wasn't the "surprise pick", Duck Hunt was explicitly stated to be the surprise pick.

It's just that now there are few viable paths for retros, because not being current is a big mark against a first-party, especially one without much if any demand. And if they are current, they're not going to really fit the "retro" niche anymore - like Little Mac.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know why people are adding what are essentially Japan-only characters to their predictions, like Takamaru and Sukapon. It's true they're not technically Japan-only anymore, but what they have isn't nearly enough to actually address Sakurai's concerns regarding those kind of characters.

Why do you insist on doing this every time people bring up Takamaru and Sukapon? It's incredibly toxic. We ****ing get it, dude. Sorry the thread isn't talking about one of the Dream1ng Approved Characters™.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Btw WFT was surprising but wasn't the "surprise pick",
Maybe, but she was partially chosen because no one expected her.

Then again, at this rate half the newcomer choices are going to be "surprising" solely because people forgot even Smash 4's base game newcomer selection wasn't something that can be entirely summarized as "Here's who was too new for the last game".

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Why do you insist on doing this every time people bring up Takamaru and Sukapon? It's incredibly toxic. We ****ing get it, dude. Sorry the thread isn't talking about one of the Dream1ng Approved Characters™.
...wh- what? This conversation is literally the first time I've mentioned either in all of 2024, other than once when I said Takamaru was a common Smash 4 request. I checked.

Are you sure you have the right person?

Also I much more frequently talk about how highly lopsided third-parties don't align with what Smash looks for, which is a very similar principle, but you've never snapped over that. I know you like Takamaru, but this seems hypocritical.

Master_Scorpion

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about retro characters...which ones do you guys think are the most likely ones?
Ayumi Tachibana maybe? iirc she had a remake (i think?) for the switch.
She could use her suitcase to fight, but might be tricky to make her work.
I think Excitebiker just because he’s iconic and would have a crazy moveset

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
...wh- what? This conversation is literally the first time I've mentioned either in all of 2024, other than once when I said Takamaru was a common Smash 4 request. I checked.

Also I much more frequently talk about how highly lopsided third-parties don't align with what Smash looks for, which is a very similar principle, but you've never snapped over that. I know you like Takamaru, but this seems hypocritical.
Either way, it seems very hypocritical for you to post this when someone doubted Master Chief's chances:
Because do you know how many times people have assumed an unbroken pattern was a rule? Sakurai doesn't change his mind. No western third-parties. One third-party per company. Only four characters max per series. Nothing from competitors. No traditional fighting characters. Spirits can't be upgraded. No second reps from third-parties. No unique second reps from third-parties. Square won't give more than bare minimum content. No guns. No realistic guns. A third-party needs strong Nintendo association. No solo starter Pokemon. No mooks. There's always a retro spot. Costumes from the same series will come with the character, if there is one. It goes on and on.
But when the character isn't MC, whoops, never mind, the fan rules are an impenetrable fortress!

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Maybe, but she was partially chosen because no one expected her.
Right, but she was current. She was unexpected, but she didn't get in in any strange way or via a specialized spot.

Then again, at this rate half the newcomer choices are going to be "surprising" solely because people forgot even Smash 4's base game newcomer selection wasn't something that can be entirely summarized as "Here's who was too new for the last game".
Smash 4 is a strange example because other than the token surprise and third-parties, it basically just was who had done something notable since Brawl's roster was picked.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only actual Retro pick was Ice Climbers anyway. He's never referred to anything else as a Retro either. The other characters he considered were the only ones actually treated as "Retro" in that way. So unless it's those, there's no real context to suggest another Retro character is possible. That doesn't mean he can't do it again outside of those specific characters, either. We just have nothing to suggest he's looking for another one, though it doesn't help many mislabel a lot of characters as them despite being a different intention.

And no, the US-only amiibo pack doesn't count, as that's not how Sakurai refers to them as. Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Mr. Game & Watch are treated the same as Piranha Plant category-wise. That is, a surprise character.

But regardless, there's lots of cool characters that could work as a retro rep either way~ :)

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Either way, it seems very hypocritical for you to post this when someone doubted Master Chief's chances:

But when the character isn't MC, whoops, never mind, the fan rules are an impenetrable fortress!
Are you equating Takamaru's western prevalence with Chief's Japanese prevalence? Halo in Japan isn't huge but it's definitely a thing - the 360 games were even fairly successful given their system. I've also repeatedly said, in posts you didn't quote, that Japan is by far Master Chief's biggest impediment - assuming he's even eligible, which I believe he is, but have also said I don't know for sure.

Meanwhile, Sakurai has explicitly stated characters like Takamaru won't get in due to lack of western familiarity, and if he'd known Lucas wasn't getting localized he wouldn't have included him. It's not impossible that changes, but it's been several games now without anything to indicate that it will.

On one hand you have characters who have one game (outside of cameos) that eventually and rather unceremoniously dropped on the VC/NSO - with Sakurai statements against them... on the other you have an entire series which launches globally, and is just smaller in Japan. And not even Doom or Rayman small.

So... no... I didn't contradict myself. Those aren't 1:1 comparisons.

I also think it's interesting that Chief is the best character you have to hit me in my "bias". He's not even in my top 10. I'd like to see him but... there are several others I'd like to see more. I don't think I ever even posted in his thread.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

"in all of 2024" is doing a lot of heavy lifting when it's fairly easy to see. It gets even worse if you search "retro."
Screenshot_20240621-091744~2.png

You don't need to pull out the whole "actually he'd fall under the Japan only ruling" (despite Smash 4's roster being decided BEFORE Mysterious Murasame Castle got an English release) or "actually Retro Characters don't exist" (despite NoA specifically using that terminology for the amiibo Retro 3-Pack) thing every time these characters get brought up or called likely in some regard.

What purpose does it serve to stomp out a grassroots campaign? To prevent a manifestation of something through word of mouth?

I'm not hypocritical for not being annoyed at this for Every Character. But it gets really annoying when something is obviously a targeted thing against a specific subset of characters I enjoy. It makes people less likely to engage in conversations about them because out of the blue, there will always be a person parroting the same talking points that people have debunked but still take as gospel. It's annoying. It's frequent. And it always just shifts the thread back to the cycle of Doomguy/Dante/Octoling/Monster Hunter/Officer Howard for the umpteenth time.

It sucks.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The only actual Retro pick was Ice Climbers anyway. He's never referred to anything else as a Retro either. The other characters he considered were the only ones actually treated as "Retro" in that way. So unless it's those, there's no real context to suggest another Retro character is possible. That doesn't mean he can't do it again outside of those specific characters, either. We just have nothing to suggest he's looking for another one, though it doesn't help many mislabel a lot of characters as them despite being a different intention.

And no, the US-only amiibo pack doesn't count, as that's not how Sakurai refers to them as. Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Mr. Game & Watch are treated the same as Piranha Plant category-wise. That is, a surprise character.

But regardless, there's lots of cool characters that could work as a retro rep either way~ :)
What about Pit in Brawl? His only games at the time were on the NES and Game Boy.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
"in all of 2024" is doing a lot of heavy lifting when it's fairly easy to see. It gets even worse if you search "retro."View attachment 391376
First of all, that means you're going off on me for repeatedly raising something I haven't raised in at least six months. Maybe it's heavy lifting, or maybe it's been six months.

We raise a lot of the same things a lot more frequently than that. And since we get no developments, and it's mostly the same people, a lot of us keep the same opinions. This one of mine is honestly pretty infrequent, in the grand scheme. I've kept and shared many other opinions which conflict less with characters you like.

Second, go ahead and search. Often I'm using it as a counterexample to a western equivalent, a counterexample I probably detract more from overall, but somehow it's only Takamaru I'm getting attacked here for. At least once last year was because someone else had already raised the Japan-only thing.

You don't need to pull out the whole "actually he'd fall under the Japan only ruling" (despite Smash 4's roster being decided BEFORE Mysterious Murasame Castle got an English release) or "actually Retro Characters don't exist" (despite NoA specifically using that terminology for the amiibo Retro 3-Pack) thing every time these characters get brought up or called likely in some regard.
Well listen, it's not inaccurate, it's not trolling, it's not flaming, it's not name calling, and it happens, on average, what? Once a quarter? Sometimes twice a year?

More over, people have every right to ignore me, if they don't like my post. But I have every right to say it, and at the current rate I've brought it up: it sounds like it's a you problem.

What purpose does it serve to stomp out a grassroots campaign? To prevent a manifestation of something through word of mouth?
You know who actually stomped out the frequency with which we speak about Takamaru? Not me. It was Sakurai.

My statements are not nearly frequent or impactful enough to stomp out any campaigns, especially since I wouldn't even be posting in that character's thread, once those are a thing - where a campaign would actually be centered. Sometimes I go weeks without posting at all.

Also, if you want to start a Takamaru campaign, you have to get used to the main point against him, which is that Sakurai **** all over characters that are Japan-only (or effectively so). If one person saying that derails the campaign, it's not a campaign that's going to work.

I'm not hypocritical for not being annoyed at this for Every Character. But it gets really annoying when something is obviously a targeted thing against a specific subset of characters I enjoy. It makes people less likely to engage in conversations about them because out of the blue, there will always be a person parroting the same talking points that people have debunked but still take as gospel. It's annoying. It's frequent. And it always just shifts the thread back to the cycle of Doomguy/Dante/Octoling/Monster Hunter/Officer Howard for the umpteenth time.
It's targeted at these characters because it applies to these characters. I didn't say anything about the other retro characters, other than there's no longer a token retro spot... which is also the truth. Frankly they were lucky there was at one point, because no other past era of character was allocated such a spot.

You're on me for saying things you don't want to hear, because I've also spoken about characters like Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Rayman, Arle, Reimu, and even Chief who I believe are also all hindered to varying extents by their lopsided status. In fact, you liked my posts about Reimu, which is very close argument-wise, given most of Touhou's titles are unlocalized.

If you think I have the power to quash conversation on Takamaru for six months because I raised that Sakurai has virtually taken him off the table, you're giving me far too much credit. I talk about how I think Doom Slayer is too niche in Japan to be as likely as people think he is (and I like Doom Slayer btw), and we talk about him like every other day. If people aren't talking about Takamaru, it's because Sakurai virtually took him off the table. My comment isn't even enough to end the current conversation. You'll see that in the search as well.

And it's not out of the blue either, the conversation entailed predicting retro characters. These are retro characters, and predictions have to do with actual chance, not just wish. When people make wishlists, I leave well enough alone. If there are predictions, it is fair game to be objective.

Master_Scorpion

Smash Rookie
I think King Boo is going to be a surprise Mario character that many weren’t expecting with Luigi’s Mansion 3 selling around 15 million and Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD releasing soon. Would finally put Luigi’s villain in the game. I’m sure Luigi’s Mansion 4 is now more of a priority especially with Nintendo buying Next Level Games. Mario and Luigi vs Bowser and King Boo would be cool.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
other than there's no longer a token retro spot... which is also the truth.
The only proof of that is SSBU not having the resources to make a new fighter from a retro game along with a stage for one, and people not wanting to notice that every single Smash game has added first-parties old enough to be in the first game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think people get too upset at remakes for dormant series being announced usually they are a sign of a brand new release:
Metroid, 2d Zelda and Pikmin show this really well!
Im sure we get a new dkc in a few years!
When Retro is done with Prime 4 am sure they will be put to the task. I still hold out hope Nintendo themselves are developing something, or are working through the mess that was a canceled DK project. The same happened with Prime 4 after all.

With Tropical Freeze and Returns soon on Switch, there's no good excuse for not making another Retro DKC platform game after this. Probably one with K.Rool and Kremlings. Or a spin off staring both Diddy and Dixie cause DKC2 is the fan favorite.

Am very certain we get at least this. And hopefully Retro will keep releasing DKC games after this all, same with Metroid. These games are just too good to sleep on. Let them specialize both these formulas!

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
The only proof of that is SSBU not having the resources to make a new fighter from a retro game along with a stage for one, and people not wanting to notice that every single Smash game has added first-parties old enough to be in the first game.
The Duck Hunt dog isn't the retro pick, he's the surprise pick. He's retro, but that's incidental - he was chosen for the same spot that PP took the following game. It's not a retro spot, which is a spot specifically for a retro character - it's just open to retro characters in ways usual spots aren't. Though they have to fit the criteria for the surprise spot too.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So... Mario RPGs are in the best place they've ever been. Do you think that will be reflected in Smash?

What content do you think we could get from Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi in a new Smash game?
In all odds: Geno as a playable character. Been a mii costume, is as relevant as he'll ever be again.

If they do bosses, possibly Hooktail/Fracktail from Paper Mario as a boss.

If Sakurai is going for broke.... Mario and Luigi as an Ice-Climbers like duo except they control like the mario and luigi games where your A button attacks control mario, and your b button attacks control luigi.

Top Bottom