• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think we'll see ARMS again, but it won't be until Mario Kart 10 is wrapping up.

If not dev heck, it's probably just because the game is a lot. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild took quite a while too (and the first time we saw gameplay the Sheika Towers weren't even modeled in yet. lol). Also, the Fuse system absolutely floored programmers when it came out, so there was definitely a lot of time put into tech wizardry there.

We've had something like that since Brawl. SSB4 had Pic of the Day, and SSBU had Super Smash Blog.
Yeah, the build ups for Smash 4 and Ultimate were cool in their own way but neither of them really lived up to the hype I felt about the Dojo. We got a lot more than just a picture most days and got some piece of information, whether it’s a description of a new item, explaining a new feature, or something else.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So... Mario RPGs are in the best place they've ever been. Do you think that will be reflected in Smash?

What content do you think we could get from Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi in a new Smash game?
Music.

Spirits, or their equivalent.

The Paper Mario stage returns, to no-one's delight.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
There's still a chance of a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe+ happening instead of a Mario Kart 9.
But like...that makes no sense assuming the next console is backwards compatible. Plus, MK8D being Nintendo's best-selling game ever should absolutely warrant a brand new game in the first place.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I am absolutely sick of all this Mario Kart deluxe+ ultra **** I just want a new game

Anyway If the system releases in spring, I’d say Mario Kart 9 will be the console’s launch title. With a new 3D Mario coming in the holiday season. If the system itself is a holiday release perhaps the new 3D Mario could launch with the system, either Kart coming later. Or vice versa.

Add in some other games like that long rumored FE remake, maybe Splatoon 4 if certain rumors are to be believed, a delightfully gimmicky first party title, and some late last-gen releases like Prime 4 and Z-A which’ll run better on the new console. Sounds like a sweet launch line up to me.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Music.

Spirits, or their equivalent.

The Paper Mario stage returns, to no-one's delight.
the fact that this stage is usually stuck on its most boring setting makes me sad! The ship and bowser castle are so much cooler!
Also:
1718907641655.png

I finnaly know how zelda is supposed to look in the "toy" style! And i also get a design of her thats simpler...
The Monkey Paw Curls!

Noipoi

Howdy!
So... Mario RPGs are in the best place they've ever been. Do you think that will be reflected in Smash?

What content do you think we could get from Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi in a new Smash game?
Paper Mario and Geno both have a decent shot at becoming fighters this time around.

The various Mario RPG franchises could have a slightly increased presence in side content like trophies/spirits, more music is always welcomed, maybe Mallow or one of the Paper Mario partners could be an Assist Trophy.

I don’t really see us getting a new stage but it’d be cool. Star Hill, Shipshape Island, or maybe the battle stage from TTYD.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But like...that makes no sense assuming the next console is backwards compatible. Plus, MK8D being Nintendo's best-selling game ever should absolutely warrant a brand new game in the first place.
You're right.

Booster Course Pass 2 it is!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

with any luck it'll amount to more of yoko's music. and some more from ttyd

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the build ups for Smash 4 and Ultimate were cool in their own way but neither of them really lived up to the hype I felt about the Dojo. We got a lot more than just a picture most days and got some piece of information, whether it’s a description of a new item, explaining a new feature, or something else.
I still remember begin 9 yo and checking out the updates back in 2007....it was so hype.
Pic of the Day is nostalgic, but looking objectively it was boring for a news cycle tbh, most POTD were meh.
Super Smash Blog didnt really reveal new stuff tbh, but looking back its better than POTD i guess.
I'd be really up to DOJO to return.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I am absolutely sick of all this Mario Kart deluxe+ ultra **** I just want a new game
I didn't even think MK8D was worth buying until the Booster Course Pass. I don't think DLC is going to sway me into buying MK8 a third time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think it will be called Mario Kart 10 to avoid confusion.
They could go back to subtitles, but since Tour is considered a part of the main series, it will be the 10th entry so they won't call it 9, and since I can't speculate on what the subtitle will be instead, 10 it is.

You missed the punchline.
...Me too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

SMRPG: I've opted to remain completely neutral on the Geno situation, but if there's ever a time for him to be playable it's right this moment. A remake of his debut game, released to critical and commercial success, negates one of the greatest arguments and obstacles against him. Against all odds, he is a Switch-relevant character. I have to doubt much more than a few spirits or songs will appear with Geno himself, so substantial representation kinda hinges on that.

Paper Mario: It's been a good few years for Paper Mario. The Switch is home to a brand new entry in the series - perhaps the best received Paper Mario game in a decade - and its most beloved entry fully remade for a new generation. I'm not sure what to make of Paper Mario as a character choice. Which games would Sakurai pull from the most? Is there a way to handle this and make everyone happy? Is another Mario something the team would find captivating to begin with? I really don't know, but I can say I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he did show up this time. This era has set him up nicely for it, and if they did feel compelled to make him a character there are some obvious mechanics and quirks that could be wholly unique to him.

I anticipate a good amount of music will make the cut no matter what, and hopefully a new stage based on a more interesting location from either TOK or TTYD. Both have plenty of viable options - and while there's only been precedent for a single Mario RPG related stage across Smash's history, their prominence on the Switch has me believing at least one new one is kind of inevitable.

Mario & Luigi: Too early to say. Hopefully some music, maybe a stage since the trailer we saw already presents us with some very cool looking scenery. And it seems to involve some kind of ship, so that could be a viable option. Probably safe to say this isn't going to result in a full on new character, but for supplemental content I'm sure it will see some acknowledgement.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I know how it's probably too early for this, but for the Switch 2 we should keep in mind that Luigi's Mansion 4, Pikmin 5, a new Donkey Kong game, a new Paper Mario game, and a new 2D Super Mario Bros. game might be coming.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I know how it's probably too early for this, but for the Switch 2 we should keep in mind that Luigi's Mansion 4
Absolutely, it’s only a matter of time.
Too early. Give it about 9 years.
a new Donkey Kong game
IMG_8971.jpeg

a new Paper Mario game
Here’s hoping it’s a return to the standard set by TTYD, though with a few of the innovations from Origami King like more open areas.
and a new 2D Super Mario Bros. game might be coming .
I think we gotta get a new 3D Mario first, but a 2D game will definitely come eventually.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm actually kind of in agreement with Stratos on thinking we'll see a new Donkey Kong game. I feel like it won't be any time soon obviously, but Retro has been mostly dedicated their resources to Prime 4 I feel like, so once that comes out, I feel like they'd wanna work on something else after like 6 years, and a new Donkey Kong would fill that role pretty well I think.

Also, unrelated to quote, but I feel like Arms could still show up for Switch 2's early life. The first game didn't do Splatoon numbers but it has a pretty respectable 2.72 million in sales right now, so I could see them making at least one more at some point.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm actually kind of in agreement with Stratos on thinking we'll see a new Donkey Kong game.
As a fan of the DK franchise I've decided the most effective way to avoid disappointment is to abandon all hope. If you never expect anything, you never get let down :dkmelee:
I feel like it won't be any time soon obviously, but Retro has been mostly dedicated their resources to Prime 4 I feel like, so once that comes out, I feel like they'd wanna work on something else after like 6 years, and a new Donkey Kong would fill that role pretty well I think.
Poor Retro, constantly flip flopping between Metroid games and monkey games. When are they gonna get to do something different?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Poor Retro, constantly flip flopping between Metroid games and monkey games. When are they gonna get to do something different?
I mean outside of assistance on MK7, that's about all they've put out, and when they try to do something else, it tends to get cancelled according to Wikipedia, so I mean they could TRY and do something new! I dunno how well it would go given their track record from my small amount of research though lol

DKing

Smash Rookie
As a fan of the DK franchise I've decided the most effective way to avoid disappointment is to abandon all hope. If you never expect anything, you never get let down :dkmelee:

I really hope they could bring back some other dead nintendo IP.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Any retro characters that have improved chances since ultimate?
I know this is a copout answer, but pretty much all of them. With how little space there was in Ultimate, I feel like characters like that were not of especially high priority or strong consideration. Sure, characters like Simon or K. Rool appealed to a nostalgic sensibility but I'm referring to more out there picks like Takamaru, Mach Rider, Ayumi, whatever who would be kinda hard to justify when trying to optimize only 6 or 7 unique newcomer slots.

If we return to 12+ newcomers next game, we have more wiggle room to explore lesser expected or requested picks and pull into the less active corridors of Nintendo history. Maybe we could have brought Excitebiker into Ultimate, but whose place would that have taken? With two of the highest ballot fan requests, the two most important contemporary Nintendo characters, a third party guest and the obligatory new Pokemon you've already run out of opportunities. And maybe a retro pick could have taken Plant's place, but that was deliberately chosen to be a character everyone knows, so that easy to understand novelty might be lost the more obscure or retro you get. Bottom line, the concept of "retro" characters are in much better shape next time.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I know this is a copout answer, but pretty much all of them. With how little space there was in Ultimate, I feel like characters like that were not of especially high priority or strong consideration. Sure, characters like Simon or K. Rool appealed to a nostalgic sensibility but I'm referring to more out there picks like Takamaru, Mach Rider, Ayumi, whatever who would be kinda hard to justify when trying to optimize only 6 or 7 unique newcomer slots.

If we return to 12+ newcomers next game, we have more wiggle room to explore lesser expected or requested picks and pull into the less active corridors of Nintendo history. Maybe we could have brought Excitebiker into Ultimate, but whose place would that have taken? With two of the highest ballot fan requests, the two most important contemporary Nintendo characters, a third party guest and the obligatory new Pokemon you've already run out of opportunities. And maybe a retro pick could have taken Plant's place, but that was deliberately chosen to be a character everyone knows, so that easy to understand novelty might be lost the more obscure or retro you get. Bottom line, the concept of "retro" characters are in much better shape next time.
I actually think Sakurai might try to add a more obscure retro than usual if they return to 12+ newcomers instead of the more expected ones like Exitebiker or Takamaru, for a change of peace.
Like someone like DeMille from Tomato Adventure or someone from Magical Starsing, we never reslly had a superobscure character like that join the roster before except maaaaaaybe Ice Climbers.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, I'm kind of hoping another developer handles DK going forward (assuming one hasn't been for the last couple of years). The series' biggest issue has been couch surfing from one studio to the next and its potential has been hurt by that. Retro not being able to work on future Prime releases (or maybe even a new IP?) because its then going back to another Country title doesn't seem ideal in a lot of ways. Given the scope and resources Nintendo has, both 3D Metroid and Donkey Kong should be franchises where neither one has to go years without a release because the other's being worked on.

At this point it really should be under the umbrella of internal Nintendo team, especially if synergy between the titles and non-gaming aspects like the theme park or the movies is to be expected. Get a team in house made up of young creatives and let them really innovate with series and actually be allowed the consistency that Donkey Kong has long deserved.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I actually think Sakurai might try to add a more obscure retro than usual if they return to 12+ newcomers instead of the more expected ones like Exitebiker or Takamaru, for a change of peace.
Like someone like DeMille from Tomato Adventure or someone from Magical Starsing, we never reslly had a superobscure character like that join the roster before except maaaaaaybe Ice Climbers.
It's a nice idea, but I don't think Sakurai would make an obscure pull just for the sake of obscurity. Most "retro" type characters have come from pretty influential games, or those that were quite popular in their heyday. Ice Climber is definitely not as obscure as Tomato Adventure, which was never localized. Ice Climber also arguably influenced certain platforming mechanics and co-op gameplay that would manifest in other Nintendo games down the line. It's not an especially popular or fondly remembered game nowadays, but someone like Sakurai would recognize its ambition and influence.

Beyond that we've had Pit, Duck Hunt, ROB, arguably Little Mac. I understand that the dial is flexible, that any game can become "retro" with time, but I still have difficulty thinking of someone who debuted on GBA as a character in this vein. It may be more productive to just start calling these Arcade / NES characters - and even so, while Sakurai often puts aside space for a "surprise" character, he hasn't acknowledged a "retro" character slot being a real thing. It just happens that a lot of these old school NES games are foundational parts of Nintendo history that always stay relevant one way or another.

Excitebiker and Takamaru are valid changes of pace in their own right. One is a character perpetually mounted on a bike. The other is a samurai, an archetype shockingly absent from the series up to this point. I don't think Sakurai would pass on either of these simply because he's more committed to subverting people's expectations. Because yeah, you have your Wii Fit Trainers and Piranha Plants, but that feels like a separate classification from any of this. There is value in introducing audiences to characters they're unfamiliar with, I actually wish it happened more, but even Takamaru was passed on for his lack of notoriety and accessibility in the west. There's a reason why these choices are typically "expected" picks firmly established within the classic Nintendo canon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom