• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m on my phone so I’m not sure how to do that Capcom survey but I feel like I’m one of the only people that would vote for Sengoku Basara. I had a lot of fun with the Wii game but none of the others were translated. I’d love to see the series brought back. Masamune Date would also make for an awesome Smash character. The others would be between Mega Man, Vs. Capcom, Final Fight, and Slam Masters. I’m not sure why Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are on that list. I feel like votes for any of those are kind of wasted since they’re obviously getting sequels anyways.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Predicting the fighters for the spirits
Paldea starters: Green Incineroar, Red King K Rool, Default Falco
Ogerpon and Terapagos: Green Meta Knight, Dark Blue Squirtle
Koraidon and Miraidon: Red Ridley and Meta Ridley

And for the 4th and final Spirit Event, I think it's going to be a game from third party judging from the pattern. My guess is that it's going to be Sonic Frontiers.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
CapTown_hunter_headshot (1).png
Favorite Character Jill Valentine
Most Influential Game RE
First Game MegaMan
Favorite Game RE4
Game Series Remake Onimusha 1,2,3
I can't remember anymore lol

Ivander

Smash Legend
I’m on my phone so I’m not sure how to do that Capcom survey but I feel like I’m one of the only people that would vote for Sengoku Basara. I had a lot of fun with the Wii game but none of the others were translated. I’d love to see the series brought back. Masamune Date would also make for an awesome Smash character. The others would be between Mega Man, Vs. Capcom, Final Fight, and Slam Masters. I’m not sure why Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are on that list. I feel like votes for any of those are kind of wasted since they’re obviously getting sequels anyways.
Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are bizarre since we know there's new games for them coming out, so like, why do we need to ask for a sequel? Street Fighter is weird, but I can sorta see it being put on since it's not a sequel or spin-off heavy series compared to the other two. Especially when Street Fighter mostly focuses on crossovers.
Although if people want more spin-off content related to Street Fighter, they should try asking for Final Fight, Rival Schools, Slam Masters, etc, since they are tied to Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With State of Play announcement done hours ago, it does look like the Nintendo Direct will appear next week. Nintendo like to have a week when other companies are done with theirs.

Also, a lookback of people's reasons to why that character cannot make it until their reveal. Well, it was done up till FP2's reveal and was created on twitter.
2251bb05b03c1e70cc7f460c0ad992c7.jpg

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Oh, looks like Koraidon and Miraidon will be the same spirit then.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With State of Play announcement done hours ago, it does look like the Nintendo Direct will appear next week. Nintendo like to have a week when other companies are done with theirs.

Also, a lookback of people's reasons to why that character cannot make it until their reveal. Well, it was done up till FP2's reveal and was created on twitter.View attachment 384300
Here's the ones for FP2:
Min Min: Spirits are deconfirmations!
Steve: How would he even work in Smash?
Sephiroth: Square Enix is too stingy. There's no way we're getting a second Final Fantasy character.
Pyra/Mythra: If XC2 gets a character it has to be Rex. The Aegis will just be a part of his moveset. And besides, transformation characters are dead and we only got the concept back because they had to bring back the Pokémon Trainer.
Kazuya: If Tekken is getting a character it has to be Heihachi.
Sora: He's owned by Disney so he's too expensive and difficult to get.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
is it me or do these spirit events feel like a countdown to something ?
It's weird how there's no cohesion between them at all.

Event 1: One Spirit for four first party Switch games that released after Sora was added
Event 2: Three third party Sprits from games that had absolutely no representation in Smash before
Event 3: An entire Spirit Event themed around Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet

There is just no cohesion at all. It's almost downright suspicious.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Kazuya: If Tekken is getting a character it has to be Heihachi.
To be very honest, I don't think Kazuya ever had an argument. If there were people who said "If Tekken got a fighter, it's guaranteed to be Heihachi because he's considered the mascot" or something like that, it was very few because the common argument for Heihachi was because of Heihachi's Japanese VA dying, but even then, it was a non-issue because they could use voice clips from the games, which I think Min-Min did.
As far as I'm aware, the common thought process for Tekken was, "If Tekken gets a fighter, it will be one of the Mishimas." Which in that case, did pass through to the end. And was the only one that passed through successfully. Every other DLC character had their naysayer arguments crushed, which is ironic because Kazuya's trailer was about him crushing most of the characters.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To be very honest, I don't think Kazuya ever had an argument. If there were people who said "If Tekken got a fighter, it's guaranteed to be Heihachi", it was very few because the common argument for Heihachi was because of Heihachi's Japanese VA dying, but even then, it was a non-issue because they could use voice clips from the games, which I think Min-Min did.
As far as I'm aware, the common thought process for Tekken was, "If Tekken gets a fighter, it will be one of the Mishimas." Which in that case, did pass through to the end. And was the only one that passed through successfully.
Yeah, but Heihachi was usually the go to for Tekken representation in other past crossovers, such as Soul Calibur 2 and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
To be very honest, I don't think Kazuya ever had an argument. If there were people who said "If Tekken got a fighter, it's guaranteed to be Heihachi because he's considered the mascot" or something like that, it was very few because the common argument for Heihachi was because of Heihachi's Japanese VA dying, but even then, it was a non-issue because they could use voice clips from the games, which I think Min-Min did.
As far as I'm aware, the common thought process for Tekken was, "If Tekken gets a fighter, it will be one of the Mishimas." Which in that case, did pass through to the end. And was the only one that passed through successfully. Every other DLC character had their naysayer arguments crushed, which is ironic because Kazuya's trailer was about him crushing most of the characters.
The main thing on Kazuya is that I don't think anyone was expecting a Tekken character after the Heihachi costume came with Min Min.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
is it me or do these spirit events feel like a countdown to something ?
Thank God, so I'm not the only one who's been feeling that way too, apparently.

I'd be stoked if they began adding new singleplayer content or missing stages back to the game.
Ngl, I genuinely would like that. Like, I don't even need new characters (for now, at least). Just give us something like Smash Run, and I'll take that. I'll even BUY it, if it's meant to be paid DLC or whatever. As I'm sure many of us can agree on, Ultimate's single-player is barebones as all get-out...

I hope the fourth set of spirits is also weird third party stuff. Just stuff we can never see coming.
Same here. Personally, I'd also like 'weird 1st party stuff' too, but I'll be fine with either.

Last edited:

Serix

Smash Rookie
Ngl, I genuinely would like that. Like, I don't even need new characters (for now, at least). Just give us something like Smash Run, and I'll take that. I'll eve nBUY it, if it's meant to be paid DLC or whatever. As I'm sure many of us can agree on, Ultimate's single-player is barebones as all get-out...
Just imagining a souped up version of Smash Run with more levels, enemies, the ability to interact with other players, + online makes me hyped. Feels like a huge missed opportunity IMO. :glare:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pyra/Mythra: If XC2 gets a character it has to be Rex. The Aegis will just be a part of his moveset. And besides, transformation characters are dead and we only got the concept back because they had to bring back the Pokémon Trainer.
yeah slight problem with that. none of us thought they would be transforming characters. people may have said this but not in relation to those two

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Since this is the 25th anniversary of the original Smash Bros., I'd like the final event to feature Mario to Jigglypuff with their old artwork from the first game. You could fight overpowered versions of the characters on the N64 stages.
Probably won't happen but it would feel like a good send-off to Ultimate given how prominent the original 8 are in marketing and in the game itself

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Since this is the 25th anniversary of the original Smash Bros., I'd like the final event to feature Mario to Jigglypuff with their old artwork from the first game. You could fight overpowered versions of the characters on the N64 stages.
Probably won't happen but it would feel like a good send-off to Ultimate given how prominent the original 8 are in marketing and in the game itself
if it's mario to jigglypuff then it's the original 12

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know if there'd be a direct before the last spirit event. If there is, that's where id expect to see any announcement for smash. If not, then I'm gonna have to assume this is just bonus spirits that they decided to add after they secured the rights to the sora amiibo and realized they'd have to go back to update the game anyway one last time.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and realized they'd have to go back to update the game anyway one last time.
I didn't even realize the game wasn't programmed to handle Sora amiibo yet until you made me want to check the patch notes
"Added support for the Min Min, Steve, Alex, Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra, and Kazuya amiibo, despite them not being released at the time."

Dukefire

Smash Master
Best to wait and keep expectations low with so little information found within the fog. TBH, I doubt that Smash News is ready yet, but I'm open to the idea. Also, do you think Shinen the Wanderer is a good character to join smash bros?

Stratos

Smash Ace
I guess none of the first 12 characters are going to be cut from the Super Smash Bros. series ever.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Best to wait and keep expectations low with so little information found within the fog. TBH, I doubt that Smash News is ready yet, but I'm open to the idea. Also, do you think Shinen the Wanderer is a good character to join smash bros?
Same here. I’m not really expecting anything either but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. Best to just wait and see what happens.

As for Shinen, I’ve never heard of him until just now but I’m cool with the idea. I’d love for Smash to get some kind of samurai character, whether that’s a Samurai Warriors character, a Sengoku Basara character, Mitsurugi, Yasuo, Haohmaru, Shinen, or someone else.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I would be so down for this. The Mystery Dungeon series is the grand daddy of the console roguelike, has been running for a long time as one of (Spike) Chunsoft's most successful properties, and Shiren himself has such a cool design

Dukefire

Smash Master
The original twelve started smash bros, so a lot of people will notice if one is gone. Again, Smash Bros has grown far since its humbling debut on Nintendo 64 and Sakurai's first game project. This video covers up to Smash Bros 20th anniversary, but shows how far we come.

Top Bottom