• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Edward Carnby the protagonist from the Alone in the Dark series is one of the many video game characters I'd like as newcomers to the Super Smash Bros. series, but on the other hand I can't think of how that would work.
Only if his taunt is a censored version of this
:4pacman:
Edit: Unrelated to previous discussion, but SMRPG Remake sold more then the original.
That's really good, not just for Geno's chances but also new Mario RPG games in general that go back to the OG turn-based combat.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Only if his taunt is a censored version of this
:4pacman:
Edit: Unrelated to previous discussion, but SMRPG Remake sold more then the original.
That's really good, not just for Geno's chances but also new Mario RPG games in general that go back to the OG turn-based combat.
That’s great news! I loved the original and the remake was on my list of games I wanted to get around to eventually but unfortunately my backlog of games I already own but haven’t completed is so big I couldn’t really justify buying a game I’ve already beaten at the moment. Same deal with the Persona 3 remake. Hopefully this is a positive sign for the direction of the series going forward.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Today's video of Sakurai's series discusses licensed games, but he also discusses Smash Bros. and how it's technically a licensed game due to using existing properties and being restricted to how he's allowed to use them. It's notable to mention that the only characters where he had full freedom to make a moveset have been Captain Falcon and Fox.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Today's video of Sakurai's series discusses licensed games, but he also discusses Smash Bros. and how it's technically a licensed game due to using existing properties and being restricted to how he's allowed to use them. It's notable to mention that the only characters where he had full freedom to make a moveset have been Captain Falcon and Fox.
I liked how he gave a nod to Megami Tensei when pointing out how taking liberties with the source material can occasionally make games more fun.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

This was a really strong analysis of licensed games. A lot of companies that make licensed games aren't as focused on the fun or gameplay aspects as other factors or don't have as much experience in making games, and if you're adapting a story for the licensed game, you already know that the story likely isn't going to turn out as good than the original since it's mostly a retelling in a very different format.

Of course, there are plenty of licensed games that have turned out good, I feel like licensed games tend to turn out best when they're doing their own thing and telling a new story rather than trying to adapt a full story. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom is an example of a legitimately good licensed game, as it's a very strong platformer telling it's own story (not the most serious one beyond a robot takeover being a threat, but even some of the other popular platformers before it didn't have super serious stories) and to this day still holds up gameplay-wise. it wouldn't have gotten an HD remake if it wasn't popular.

Also, I didn't know that Persona was a spin-off/licensed game from Shin Megami Tensei. That's interesting. It seems to have practically evolved into it's own thing with how popular it's become. That itself is a standout example for a well done licensed game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That was so weird that they wouldn’t allow the word Ninja in the titles in Europe back then. At least the intro song says “Heroes in a half shell” so there’s some precedence for the Hero title.
it was probably legal reasons. that’s why it couldn’t be called star fox until the third game

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's also why Michelangelo switched using a grappling hook as a weapon in later seasons of the cartoon.

For some reason, Nunchucks were deemed to violent for kids. Even though they, ya know, let Leonardo keep his swords...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's also why Michelangelo switched using a grappling hook as a weapon in later seasons of the cartoon.

For some reason, Nunchucks were deemed to violent for kids. Even though they, ya know, let Leonardo keep his swords...
I guess nunchaku were more accessible to younger people and they don’t seem like they’d be as dangerous just looking at them? I don’t really get it either. There’s also the fact that none of them could use any of their weapons in Secret of the Ooze. Still a great movie and I never really noticed as a kid but it was definitely weird looking back on it. It was fun in a way seeing them have to get creative in how they fight without their classic weapons. Like Michelangelo used sausage links instead on nunchaku in one scene.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I feel Fox and the Captain are basically the Ryu and Ken, the Scorpion and Sub-Zero, the Kyo and Iori, the Sol and Ky...
Practically the two most well known characters in Smash.

You know them before you know abot that F-Zero and Star Fox were actual games.
I knew about F-Zero (which I owned) and Star Fox (which I rented) before Smash Bros came out.

Speaking of F-Zero, even though it's made by Nintendo, I always thought it looked like it could have been made by SEGA. Looking at games like Hang-On, Power Drift, and Out Run, F-Zero looks like it could have been on one of those 3D-style racing games made by Yu Suzuki back in the day. That's what I thought long before SEGA actually got involved in the series.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I know it's not DIRECTLY related to Smash, but Capcom has a poll going on about a bunch of their IPs, including some that are currently in the middle of being dead:

Depending on how this goes, Sega might not be the only ones looking to revive their older IPs...

Ivander

Smash Legend
So I know it's not DIRECTLY related to Smash, but Capcom has a poll going on about a bunch of their IPs, including some that are currently in the middle of being dead:

Depending on how this goes, Sega might not be the only ones looking to revive their older IPs...
Yeah, I've already gone through it. And it's pretty balanced for the most part. The only issues I had is that:
  1. They only allow you to do 1 complaint about something when they should've allowed 2 or 3.
  2. The last bit with commenting only reminded me that Comment things that restrict the amount of "Characters" frickin' suck. It restricts you to 400 characters altogether and it includes spaces, so you only have enough for about 4 and a half lines of words. Like what I originally wrote was not that much and it wouldn't let me until I took out more than 3/4 of what I originally wrote, meaning that I could not bring in much needed details to my comment. Man, I hate (Comment must be under X Characters maximum) so much.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Also, I didn't know that Persona was a spin-off/licensed game from Shin Megami Tensei. That's interesting. It seems to have practically evolved into it's own thing with how popular it's become. That itself is a standout example for a well done licensed game.
They use the same monster list, how did you not know it was a spin off?

Hearing the name Naruto in this video format that im so used to seeing in regards to Nintendo characters actually made feel very weird.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
They use the same monster list, how did you not know it was a spin off?
Because I've never played a game from either series.

I'm considering trying a Persona game someday because of Smash Ultimate and BlazBlue, but Shin Megami Tensei never really caught my interest enough to read much about the series before.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Man, that Capcom survey....it sure is something.

Couple thoughts: first, I've noticed that the list of options for the sequel question is very very similar to a list they have on their website of million-selling IP, so I don't think it's a curated list of stuff they're considering bringing back so much as it's just them putting in all the series' that are internally classified as Big Deals, and asking which ones you'd like to see sequels for - so yeah, there's plenty of dormant picks on there, but there's also SF and RE. So, y'know, take that however you might. It's still worth it to show support for any of the deader picks on there, though. I voted for Capcom Vs. and so should you.

But then there's also a separate question for remakes specifically, and this one is....hm. This one feels more specifically catered to the question at hand and it is interesting. You have the hilariously pointless choice of the original Ace Attorney trilogy, but also Mega Man, Onimusha, Final Fight.....Onimusha would be pretty cool if they haven't done it yet. But then it gets weirder. Gargoyle's Quest? Rival Schools? Commando? Quiz Nanairo Dreams!? Very eclectic lineup. Mind you, I don't think this is what they're genuinely considering - it feels to me like a bunch of simple examples - but I do wonder what was the rationale behind specifically these choices.

It's also interesting cause another one of the questions has a built-in character database you can choose from. I didn't get to really do as much of a deep dive as I'd liked, but there are still some interesting observations to be made. All your dead fighting game favorites are there - Cyberbots, Star Gladiator, Red Earth and Power Stone are all present and accounted for -, there's also some deep cuts like Remember Me and EX Troopers, some real oldies such as Knights of the Round and Magic Sword, but then also some interesting omissions. In the midst of all the old-ass arcade picks, I was very disappointed that the Battle Circuit cast was not up for selection, but that's just a personal niche fave - a friend of mine pointed out that Menat and Rashid are randomly just Not There, and I would wager there are also other omissions yet to be found as well. Captain Sawada is on there though!

Ivander

Smash Legend
I voted for Capcom Vs. and so should you.
Vs. Capcom, Darkstalkers and Breath of Fire, baby. Yeah, you could choose 3 of them, as I would've chosen Dino Crisis too, but it told me only 3, not 4. Let me pick all of my wants, Capcom! :drflip: And I certainly wouldn't have picked the majority of them to support other fans.

And obviously, I chose BoF for the remake bit, but hey, nothing wrong with the other choices for those who are interested in a remake of those games. Even if Quiz Nanairo Dreams is a very weird choice, although it's not 100% unknown, since fans of the Vs. Capcom series know at least about Saki.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I just finished taking this survey, and I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that they limit us on the 'Which game/series do you want to get a reboot?' question.

I was hoping to answer BOTH Rival Schools AND Quiz Nanairo Dreams, but I went with R.S. in the end...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just finished taking this survey, and I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that they limit us on the 'Which game/series do you want to get a reboot?' question.

I was hoping to answer BOTH Rival Schools AND Quiz Nanairo Dreams, but I went with R.S. in the end...
If it makes you feel better, my recent Ace Attorney obsession caused me to vote for that one on the remake question. Would such a remake be redundant given you can play the originals on all modern platforms? Most likely yes. Did my curiosity over how they would approach such a remake ultimately win out? Also yes. I may have a problem...

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

Scarlet and Violet spirits. The Paldea starters, Ogerpon and Terapagos, Koraidon, and Miraidon.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
no arceus legends spirits? lameeeeeeeeee
Arceus already has a spirit.

Scarlet and Violet spirits. The Paldea starters, Ogerpon and Terapagos, Koraidon, and Miraidon.
Its actually weird how this generation 7 game has generation 9 Pokemon in it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I voted for Capcom Vs. and so should you.
Vs. Capcom
Darkstalkers
Mega Man

Same. I wanted to vote Darkstalkers. Went with Gargoyle's Quest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom