• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's certainly a possibility. I think it may depend on what Sakurai wants to do with Octoling; we could get unique Octoling or we could get Echo Octoling + someone else unique. Even in the latter scenario, there is other competition such as DJ Octavio, so I'm not banking on playable Squid Sisters, but yeah they're a little slept on as candidates.

edit: sorry for double post
There's a lot to talk about in regards to what comes next for Splatoon. I know DJ gets a bit of talk with the Smash community but I do think Squid Sisters would be a higher priority.

One thing I could see is making the Octolings a unique character and then Callie and Marie get in as separate echo fighters. One for Inkling and another for Octolings.

Though on the side, one thing to consider that is often overlooked is Octolings only get in as an alt for Inklings. There is a part of me that feels echoes are more for totally separate characters with completely different personalities. Octolings don't really feel different enough to Inklings for me. It's still basically the Splatoon avatar so for me it'd almost be like making all the boy/girl characters separate.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ok, here's the complete list of suspicious ATs/Mii costumes/4 star spirits/bosses:

-Bomberman
-Krystal
-Alucard
-Isaac
-Zero
-Shovel Knight
-Black Knight
-Knuckles
-Shadow
-Tails
-Sukapon
-Skull Mid
-Midna
-Ghirahim
-Ashley
-Takamaru
-Waluigi
-Lyn
-Akira
-Saki
-Squid Sisters
-Samurai Goroh
-Spring Man
-Guile
-Gray Fox
-Prince of Sable
-Altair
-Arthur
-Chibi Robo
-Cuphead
-Dante
-Dixie Kong
-Doom Slayer
-Dragonborn
-Dunban
-Geno
-Goemon
-Heihachi
-Iori
-Jacky Briant
-Lip
-Lloyd
-Marx
-Nakoruru
-Octoling
-Ray Mk III
-Rabbid
-Sans
-Shantae
-Monster Hunter
-Toad
-Travis
-Vault Boy
-Dillon
-Tifa
-Barret
-Aerith
-Viridi
-Pauline
-Black Shadow
-Leon / Jill / Chris / Wesker

You could build a couple of amazing newcomer line-ups just pulling from this list 🤞

Also, I've noticed that every Legend Spirit who's a popular character also has either an AT or a Mii Costume, sometimes both.
Black Shadow and Pauline are pretty much the only exceptions.
I do have to ask what you mean by suspicious? I know I'm being a bit nitpicky but it's probably not the best word to use here. It's more a list of characters that could feasibly be playable without a body type that gets in the way.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I do have to ask what you mean by suspicious? I know I'm being a bit nitpicky but it's probably not the best word to use here. It's more a list of characters that could feasibly be playable without a body type that gets in the way.
I counted characters that are either noticeably requested to some degree, generally popular and/or probably noticed by Sakurai (like Sukapon).
Or, in short, those who could feel like "consolation prizes" anyways.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Characters like Alucard and Zero honestly feel like they would be playable if there was just more room for em. If they were first party, they probably would be. But being third party, I think it's harder fight to get a second rep, especially a unique one, of which we only have Sephiroth.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Looking back at the Spirit list, giving 1 star to Lord Fredrik has to be the most spiteful decision in the game.
Poor dude is the main villain of a beloved game and a very tough final boss, but they really wanted to emphasize that THE nemesis of DK is good ol' K. Rool lol

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Ok, here's the complete list of suspicious ATs/Mii costumes/4 star spirits/bosses:

-Bomberman
-Krystal
-Alucard
-Isaac
-Zero
-Shovel Knight
-Black Knight
-Knuckles
-Shadow
-Tails
-Sukapon
-Skull Mid
-Midna
-Ghirahim
-Ashley
-Takamaru
-Waluigi
-Lyn
-Akira
-Saki
-Squid Sisters
-Samurai Goroh
-Spring Man
-Guile
-Gray Fox
-Prince of Sable
-Altair
-Arthur
-Chibi Robo
-Cuphead
-Dante
-Dixie Kong
-Doom Slayer
-Dragonborn
-Dunban
-Geno
-Goemon
-Heihachi
-Iori
-Jacky Briant
-Lip
-Lloyd
-Marx
-Nakoruru
-Octoling
-Ray Mk III
-Rabbid
-Sans
-Shantae
-Monster Hunter
-Toad
-Travis
-Vault Boy
-Dillon
-Tifa
-Barret
-Aerith
-Viridi
-Pauline
-Black Shadow
-Leon / Jill / Chris / Wesker

You could build a couple of amazing newcomer line-ups just pulling from this list 🤞

Also, I've noticed that every Legend Spirit who's a popular character also has either an AT or a Mii Costume, sometimes both.
Black Shadow and Pauline are pretty much the only exceptions.
the fact that Rayman, Tetris and Kunio arent 4 star spirits is disappointing

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Man, just imagining the next Smash starting off with Bomberman, Shadow or Geno would already make it top tier for me.
None of these are really "first newcomer reveal" material. Think of the previous ones; Peach and Bowser in Melee, Meta Knight in Brawl, Villager in Smash 4, and Inkling in Ultimate. Bomberman, Shadow and Geno have their fans alright, but they don't have that wide of an appeal.
Also, I doubt the next Smash would start things off with an echo fighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's a lot to talk about in regards to what comes next for Splatoon. I know DJ gets a bit of talk with the Smash community but I do think Squid Sisters would be a higher priority.

One thing I could see is making the Octolings a unique character and then Callie and Marie get in as separate echo fighters. One for Inkling and another for Octolings.

Though on the side, one thing to consider that is often overlooked is Octolings only get in as an alt for Inklings. There is a part of me that feels echoes are more for totally separate characters with completely different personalities. Octolings don't really feel different enough to Inklings for me. It's still basically the Splatoon avatar so for me it'd almost be like making all the boy/girl characters separate.
i think it's be something of a disservice to the sisters to make them echoes. they both are known to favour a certain weapon type so they should have movesets based on those

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Brawl started out with only two third party characters in total (Snake and Sonic). Today, we’re seeing nearly half of all newcomers as third party. I’m thinking we may see a similar trend but to a smaller extent to third party characters originating from outside Japan. Historically, Smash has stuck to Japanese characters which makes sense seeing as that’s where the games are developed and Nintendo’s main quarters are located. However, Smash is a huge global franchise so I think it makes sense to start branching out even more. I believe Smash actually sells better in the west than it does in Japan so that’s another consideration. Like Brawl had two third party characters, Ultimate had two western characters. I’m not suggesting that half of all newcomers will be western but I do think that number will drastically increase, possibly to 30-40% of third party newcomers in the future.

If we do start seeing more characters originating from outside Japan, who are some characters you’d like to see? Or if you prefer, ones do you think might be likely? Here’s a list of some I’d personally like to see:

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)
Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Jinx (League of Legends)
Diablo (Diablo)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Death (Darksiders)
Bad Mr. Frosty (ClayFighter)
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Master Chief (Halo)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Brawl started out with only two third party characters in total (Snake and Sonic). Today, we’re seeing nearly half of all newcomers as third party. I’m thinking we may see a similar trend but to a smaller extent to third party characters originating from outside Japan. Historically, Smash has stuck to Japanese characters which makes sense seeing as that’s where the games are developed and Nintendo’s main quarters are located. However, Smash is a huge global franchise so I think it makes sense to start branching out even more. I believe Smash actually sells better in the west than it does in Japan so that’s another consideration. Like Brawl had two third party characters, Ultimate had two western characters. I’m not suggesting that half of all newcomers will be western but I do think that number will drastically increase, possibly to 30-40% of third party newcomers in the future.
its hardly surprising that a game sells better internationally than it does in a single country

Gengar84

Smash Hero
its hardly surprising that a game sells better internationally than it does in a single country
I believe Ultimate sold better in the US alone than it did in Japan. I may be wrong though since I’m having a hard time finding specific sales by region by I thought I remembered hearing that at some point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I believe Ultimate sold better in the US alone than it did in Japan. I may be wrong though since I’m having a hard time finding specific sales by region by I thought I remembered hearing that at some point.
ok but the US has twice the population. roughly

Gengar84

Smash Hero
ok but the US has twice the population. roughly
I’m just saying that it makes sense to broaden the selection to incorporate more characters from the rest of the world, not that they should stop making characters from Japan.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m just saying that it makes sense to broaden the selection to incorporate more characters from the rest of the world, not that they should stop making characters from Japan.
well you’re not wrong but it does need a little note

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Nah nah you got a point, Ultimates art isnt bad but you can tell the artist isnt used to drawing a lot of these characters so it feel kinda "Fanart-y"
A little, maybe, but I still absolutely adore the painted style and that banner of all the playable characters is truly a sight to behold. It's gorgeous.

Like, hot dang. This was a brilliant idea for this title and I'm glad they went through with the decision to do this. I just wish it was referenced more in-game.

I hope future Smash titles incorporate more flashy, stylized supplemental material like this. I wouldn't mind if the CSS character artwork for the next game were painted instead of 3D renders, not unlike these.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Fun fact: the man behind the Smash Ultimate banner is none other than Yusuke Nakano, a long time illustrator for the Zelda series since Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I hope future Smash titles incorporate more flashy, stylized supplemental material like this. I wouldn't mind if the CSS character artwork for the next game were painted instead of 3D renders, not unlike these.
And have that poor main paint at least 8 different variations of the same position of the same character, and then repeat that across 82 characters, plus Echoes, plus alternate costumes?

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Hey everyone ♡ As you can see, I'm new to the boards!

A lot of recent news seem to be quietly implying that a Smash game is in its early stages of development, so I thought I'd get speculating! These boards seems to be the only place where people seriously talk about this stuff, so I'm looking forward to speculating w/ y'all!
Welcome Newcomer!

I got just 2 questions:

1) Top 5 newcomers for Smash?

2) Ultimate Deluxe or Smash 6?

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

If we do start seeing more characters originating from outside Japan, who are some characters you’d like to see? Or if you prefer, ones do you think might be likely? Here’s a list of some I’d personally like to see:

Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Jinx (League of Legends)
Diablo (Diablo)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Death (Darksiders)
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Master Chief (Halo)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash)
Mine would be:
Rayman
Crash bandicoot
Club Penguin
Doom slayer
Tetromino
Sub-zero
Rash
Spyro
Angry bird
Smiley (minesweeper)

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Welcome Newcomer!

I got just 2 questions:

1) Top 5 newcomers for Smash?

2) Ultimate Deluxe or Smash 6?
1) My top 5 newcomers... well, I already got my most wanted characters in SSB4 and Ultimate (Rosalina and Daisy) but if I had to make a new list:
  • Chun-Li
  • Toad/Toadette
  • Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem)

2) Smash 6 all the way. I'd groan if I had to see the same physics/mechanics, menus, graphics, modes etc. as Ultimate in the next Smash.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Jinx (League of Legends)
Diablo (Diablo)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Death (Darksiders)
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Master Chief (Halo)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash)
Master Chief
Lara Croft
Ezio Auditorre
Crash Bandicoot
Tracer
Scorpion
Ori
Thrall
Crazy Dave
Diablo

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Now that would be a twist, someone else the echo with Octolings unique. However, there's probably more interesting things you could do with Squid Sisters so I'd hesitate to pull the trigger on something that doesn't realize their potential. I'd have to think more about how specifically I'd imagine Squid Sisters working, though.
For now IMO the best option is to just do unique Octoling, giving them different weapons and such that Inkling doesn't have. The series has gotten huge but it still only has three games, so while it definitely should be expanded upon in the next game there's no rush to force characters in before they have the resources to do them right.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Master Chief
Lara Croft
Ezio Auditorre
Crash Bandicoot
Tracer
Scorpion
Ori
Thrall
Crazy Dave
Diablo
Can’t believe I forgot about Lara Croft with that list. She’d be a great addition. Lilith from Borderlands is another often overlooked character.

chinkuru

Smash Cadet

Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Jinx (League of Legends)
Diablo (Diablo)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Death (Darksiders)
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Master Chief (Halo)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash)
My favourites:
-Crash Bandicoot
-Sub-Zero
-Conker
-Lara Croft
-Tommy Vercetti
-Joanna Dark

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey everyone ♡ As you can see, I'm new to the boards!

A lot of recent news seem to be quietly implying that a Smash game is in its early stages of development, so I thought I'd get speculating! These boards seems to be the only place where people seriously talk about this stuff, so I'm looking forward to speculating w/ y'all!
Dang, my IRL stuff has kept me so busy, I didn't realize we had a newbie. Now I feel bad...

But welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Laniv

Smash Champion
1) My top 5 newcomers... well, I already got my most wanted characters in SSB4 and Ultimate (Rosalina and Daisy) but if I had to make a new list:
  • Chun-Li
  • Toad/Toadette
  • Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem)

2) Smash 6 all the way. I'd groan if I had to see the same physics/mechanics, menus, graphics, modes etc. as Ultimate in the next Smash.
"Toad/Toadette and Captain Syrup"

Ah, I see you are one of culture as well.

Also, welcome to the forums! And remember:

1706722465167.jpeg

:4pacman:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I guess they were both owned by Square-Enix at one point but since that’s no longer the case for Lara, I don’t think either impacts the others chances at all.
Wait, Tomb Raider isn't owned by Squenix anymore? I didn't know that.

"Toad/Toadette and Captain Syrup"

Ah, I see you are one of culture as well.

Also, welcome to the forums! And remember:

View attachment 383823

:4pacman:
A fellow Syrup supporter? That's rare.

To be completely honest, I'd probably take Toadette with a Peachette transformation over Toad with Toadette as a costume. But 1) there's pretty much no way that'd happen 2) I'd get burned at the stake for seriously entertaining such an idea :skull:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wait, Tomb Raider isn't owned by Squenix anymore? I didn't know that.

A fellow Syrup supporter? That's rare.

To be completely honest, I'd probably take Toadette with a Peachette transformation over Toad with Toadette as a costume. But 1) there's pretty much no way that'd happen 2) I'd get burned at the stake for seriously entertaining such an idea :skull:
Yeah, it was bought up by the Embracer Group along with other Eidos and Crystal Dynamics properties like Legacy of Kain and I believe Deus Ex. Unfortunately, the Embracer Group has been having a lot of issues of their own lately so I’m worried about the status of these franchises. I’d have loved to see a new Legacy of Kain game and it looked like they were teasing one but who knows now.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, it was bought up by the Embracer Group along with other Eidos and Crystal Dynamics properties like Legacy of Kain and I believe Deus Ex. Unfortunately, the Embracer Group has been having a lot of issues of their own lately so I’m worried about the status of these franchises. I’d have loved to see a new Legacy of Kain game and it looked like they were teasing one but who knows now.
Man, I remember when people were hyping up Embracer Group. Now look where we are...

Top Bottom