• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I thought they didn't "get" or "not get" the rights, but rather they just haven't heard back from Nintendo and prefer not to proceed until they do.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
They CAN'T proceed until they do, that's the thing. I don't believe Nintendo outright said no, but no answer gives up a temporary no until they say yes which means MLG cannot live stream or post VoD.

Unless Nintendo allows MLG to live stream, I see Brawl being sadly short lived.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
For this season, yes I would say they did. But I'm not sure how much rights you have to have in order to use a game in a tournament.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
You have to have some sort of rights because capcom won't let mlg
near sf4 they only want it at Evo. They don't trust mlg to pay out the winners from an incident that happened a few years back.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I don't advocate the spreading of potentially false information, so I won't say what I heard or did not hear, but I do not think that is the reason why Capcom isn't letting MLG put SF on the circuit, and I wouldn't waste TOO much time trying to speculate on it.

However, the OP does bring up a good point. Since Capcom is specifically prohibiting MLG from putting SF on the circuit, we can partially assume then that they got permission from Nintendo for Smash. If that's so, then how is it that Nintendo has not replied at all about a stream? If not so, then why is MLG able to host a tournament in which they charge players to enter, but not able to put up a live stream for money, or even a FREE STREAM that's not in high def?

Damage Points

Smash Ace
ExTxly what I'm saying^^^. Doesn't make sense MLG def got nintendos permission to put brawl on the circuit but no live stream very odd. Makes me think it's doubtful it will return next season.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I absolutely agree that it's odd and makes no sense. But regardless, that is the reason why I feel like Brawl is going to be a one season game.

I mean look at Gears of War 2, it had a live stream but no developer support. A game needs full support for it to say on the circuit.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I don't think Nintendo has much interest in the competitive Smash scene, at least not enough to get involved. It would be awesome to see Nintendo get behind MLG and competitive Smash in general, but I don't see it happening. It doesn't help that Sakurai didn't intend for SSB to be played competitively in the first place.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
But they don't actually have to DO anything right now. Them just allowing MLG to stream is the only thing holding them back right now.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Even if mlg drops brawl which it will I still can go to my local tournaments which is why I got into smash to begin with.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Even if mlg drops brawl which it will I still can go to my local tournaments which is why I got into smash to begin with.
I agree with you fully, but (IMO) MLG has a big draw to it and I love going to the events. It'd be a shame to see Brawl get dropped but it can easily happen.

But yea, I'll still go to locals.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm LOLing at all these unsupported predictions with absolutely no knowledge of what's going on at levels way above you.

Relax. Just because we have no stream, doesn't mean MLG's trying to drop Brawl off the circuit. If people come out to the events, then I'm relatively sure that MLG will keep having Smash. The way things seem, it is UNLIKELY that MLG will drop Smash next season.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
It's not unfounded, believe me. Gears of War 2 still had decent attendance and got dropped. MLG will drop games that don't get the full treatment.

I think Brawl has a much better chance of staying on the circuit, but who knows.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
But Gears of War 2 sucked...

And Brawl actually adds some diversity to their events, since Tekken isn't quite repping.

Aposl

Smash Ace
This is GIMR

Nintendo doesn't care if people run tournaments they just won't put any money towards them. That's probably why MLG got the go ahead so easily to have Brawl on the circuit.

Second, MLG's VOD makes you pay for the HD version. This is probably why they're having problems getting rights to it. They're making money showing another company's game. If the stream was completely free I could see this being less of a problem

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A lot of things are different since Melee was around in 2006. Mainly, MLG is bigger and better and therefor a larger target.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
As is the case with most of the threads on this board.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guys please do not send things to Nintendo. MLG is working hard to make it happen, and while your support is great, they would prefer to be the only ones speaking with Nintendo on the issue.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I wonder about 1 thing:

If Nintendo would give MLG the permission to show Brawl, a lot of people would see brawl => 20% are actually interesting in the game => ~10% are buying it after they saw it.

Maybe not this high %iges, but anyway, Nintendo can get people who buy Wii/brawl so they could get profit out of a stream, since the stream would be some kind of advertise...

And everybody knows smash, but not everyone knows competetive smash, if someone doesnt liked the item-brawl they probably like competetive brawl so they re-think about buying the game...

tl;dr: Nintendo doesnt make sense.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
considering what I heard about Orlando there isn't much reason for them not to keep smash, especially if turnouts increase, its also to early to be speculating now only ONE event has occurred and met with decent success IIRC. Wait until November before getting worried

Rephoria

Smash Rookie
considering what I heard about Orlando there isn't much reason for them not to keep smash, especially if turnouts increase, its also to early to be speculating now only ONE event has occurred and met with decent success IIRC. Wait until November before getting worried
Agreed. Orlando was a success for the most part. Nintendo just needs to let MLG record VoD for smash.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
I use to go to MLG events for Gears
but I'm done with that game for now. I love the smash community to much. I have a great local scene with tournies every weekend and most kids aren't douches like the GOW community was. Only if they would fix the MK problem my dreams would come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom