• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Next Gen

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
I didn't do only that though. I added three tails, drew the rest of the body where flames once were, and drew wings, which took awhile to get right.

I can't scratch a sprite, so just because my sprite doesn't look as good doesn't mean the idea is bad.

To be honest, I don't like the way the grass Zebra looks anyway. First time I saw it, I was thinking "a branch for a tail? WTF?" No offense.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I didn't do only that though. I added three tails, drew the rest of the body where flames once were, and drew wings, which took awhile to get right.

I can't scratch a sprite, so just because my sprite doesn't look as good doesn't mean the idea is bad.

To be honest, I don't like the way the grass Zebra looks anyway. First time I saw it, I was thinking "a branch for a tail? WTF?" No offense.
If ever we really get a legitimate Pokedex together (which would be beyond awesome) then we might need to revamp the sprite among others. For one, it does not fit the parameters of a normal sprite (about 80x80), and it could use some better shading, coloring, and overall design, BUT, it is completely unique in its own right, enough to garner a following, so that says a lot.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Hm...I see. In that case, maybe I should become a sprite artist if I like making new Pokemon so much. I know who I can learn off of too, but he's not a member here.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Zebrevanah
Type: Grass/Dark
Abilities: Vital Spirit / Chlorophyll
HP: 50
Attack: 90
Defence: 65
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 55
Speed: 80​

So this would be the second form of that Zebra Grass starter that we talked about ages ago..
It'd be Grass/Dark by this stage though. Took a fair while to scratch but I love him, I think he is my best sprite yet, not that there is too much competition for that title.
I guess he would run like a sexier version of Shiftry.
I would love to know what you think!
Edit: The first form (Zeebrief) should be coming tonight or this weekend.
I'm pretty sure it would have Overgrowth, but, yeah.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
But why does that...thing have a green branch for a tail? It's...ugly. Sorry. And it also has markings on its back similar to that of Pikachu.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
But why does that...thing have a green branch for a tail? It's...ugly. Sorry. And it also has markings on its back similar to that of Pikachu.
What does that matter? I might happen to find a lot of official pokemon ugly, and a lot seem to have similar markings as well.

Also, it's a branch because it's a Grass-Type pokemon.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The same could be said (in a different manner, of course) about a lot of OFFICIAL pokemon. I could give you a few examples if you want.

Besides, it's a little stupid to argue about a pokemon just because of how you THINK it looks.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I thought the sprite looked awesome.

On the OP we should get a Dex format going and Zebrevanah is no. 2

Will the Dex be a standard 151? How many ledgendaries should we have?

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe the voting for whether or not there's going to be a grass Zebra or an electric Zebra has ended yet. Though, I hate to admit it, it's pretty much one-sided.

EDIT: Btw, why is the back leg on that thing so tiny compared to the front legs?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I vote for the Grass Zebra. It seems more fitting.

Also, I think the back leg/front leg thing is just an illusion created by the position of Zebravanah. Y'know, the way he's facing and standing and all that.

EDIT: Koarin, I don't think there should be as many legendaries as there were in Gen 4, but other than that, I don't have a definite number.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I don't believe the voting for whether or not there's going to be a grass Zebra or an electric Zebra has ended yet. Though, I hate to admit it, it's pretty much one-sided.

EDIT: Btw, why is the back leg on that thing so tiny compared to the front legs?

Perspective, it looks like it would standing on a rock.

I vote for a ??? type horse.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I vote for the Zebravanah, but ONLY if it is redone. Not saying it's bad, but its overall design doesn't actually fit into the world of Pokemon very well. Even if you were to repose it.

Of course, it might just need moar leaves. I definitely plead that it get more areas for such things.

EDIT: Actually, I know something you could do to it. Make its tail the seaweed-like stuff it has for the mane, and make the mane more like the branch (only more bush-like of course). I feel like it would look better like that, and more natural. I may be wrong though. I'd have to see it to know.

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
I like Zebravanah more, just tweak it a little bit and it'll be great. It may just be the way the sprite looks. To me it looks like a three legged zebra chilling on a rock.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still like my idea of a squid being the grass starter better than a Zebra...

A Zebra kinda sounds more like a rare, but not legendary single evolution pokemon to me...

There is barely any changes in the last horse-esque pokemon

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Seriously? Your constantly making rude comments about green's sprite yet when someone makes a completely normal critique on your sprite you start getting all defensive. I, as a spriter, would rather hear you critique my sprite then say "This part of it looks completely ugly, WTF!". Harsh critique is fine but that's not even harsh, it's rude. Finally, I direct you to this video that firus posted in the CPS >_>.

As for zebravannah, I think it could use a repose and a slight tweaking to make it more of a 2nd part (as spire has said before, it looks sorta like a 2.5 evo). It's pose should be more natural and it's a bit big but other then that it looks really good. Especially the hair-thing (>_>).

-:bowser:Bowser King

rockem7

Smash Ace
How about a Lion? Seeing as they're the real kings of the jungle...Maybe another Growlithe/Arcanine and Vulpix/Ninetales thing? Maybe (if diving is part of the story) a sea Lion?

Land Lion: I don't know what type it should be yet. Obvious moves: Bite, Crunch, ect. Should evolve once.

Sea Lion: Still evolves once, and uses water type moves, yet has the capability to use Fire Fang.

I haven't put too much thought into it...But I kind of like it.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I still like my idea of a squid being the grass starter better than a Zebra...

A Zebra kinda sounds more like a rare, but not legendary single evolution pokemon to me...

There is barely any changes in the last horse-esque pokemon
I'm not really sure that a SQUIDlike pokemon would be the best idea for a GRASS-Type starter.

rockem7

Smash Ace
For the Ghost Building/Area for this gen...(if it's still focused on a tropical plot):

The building should be a tower, similar to the past generations, which is spoken about by tribal people and shamans, warning people not to enter into it's haunted walls. When the main character hears that (enter bad guy's name here) wants to turn the building into a (enter syndicate name here) headquarters, he has no choice but to go mess up their evil plan. (Bad wording, but this is just a rough idea. >.>)

The building would have three floors:
1st: Two or three members of the enemy group, no wild pokemon encounters (as usual on the first floor...Or maybe that was just first gen, I can't seem to remember.).

2nd: A double battle situation where you have to walk between the two people where one is waiting above and one is waiting below, and another enemy trainer. Wild pokemon encounters can be found on the second and third floors.

3rd: (Staggered like the first gen top floor) Three trainers, and then at the top there should be some sort of leader. Not sure whether there will be three (or some other number) of peon-esque people such as the 4th generation, but some sort trainer who is stronger than the last nine(ish) people you just knocked out.

Some sort of reward relevant to the story should be added, such as the PokeFlute in 1st gen, The Red or Blue orb in 3rd, ect.

Pokemon wise, there should be a new duo of pokemon. But this time, I think it should be ZOMBIES instead of the average ghost. While the ghost generally get more human like in shape, I think that there should be a Zombie, who is more human shaped than the last.

Whether or not it should be an entirely new type, or if we make use of the ??? type, or keep it just plain ghost is open for ideas, but I just thought that we should have a more Zombie like pokemon, seeing as they've steadily been working up to it if you look at the final forms of previous pokemon.

Gengar: Arms and legs, stands on two feet. Eyes, nose, mouth.

Misdreavus: Looks like the head of a woman, and once it evolves it seems to be a bit more human like.

Banette and Dusclops: Look pretty human like to me.

Drifblim: Got away from the human look, but I think we should stick with it for 5th gen.

Now, the Zombies (should they be made into a new class, or use the ???) won't be transparent like ghosts. They will be solid pokemon, thus are able to be hit by normal and fighting type. If decided that they should be ghosts, then obviously they will pick up the traits of ghost type pokemon.

Possible Zombie traits:
Low Speed. For somewhat obvious reasons.
Weak to Fire and Ice.
Strong against Dark, and possibly Ghost or Psychic.

And...That's about all I have up to this point. Ideas?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I think that they should just keep the zombie as a Ghost-Type. Maybe he could get some sort of special ability that affects his type differences, but it seems like a waste to create a whole new type for just one pokemon.

In addition to the stats, it should probably also have high HP and low defense for its type.

Overall, I like the idea, but I don't think that a whole new type should be made for it.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Besides Pokemon, I've been thinking of what types of pokemon gyms and elite four members should have. I took note of the number of representations they had from the 4 generation out of both the gyms and pokemon league:

Normal - 1
Fire - 3
Water - 3 or 4
Grass - 2
Electric - 3
Fighting - 4
Flying - 2
Poison - 2
Ground - 2
Rock - 3
Bug - 2
Psychic - 4
Ghost - 4
Ice - 4
Dragon - 4
Steel - 2 or 3
Dark - 2
Note: The or's are from the changes in R/S/E where Steven was Champion in Ruby and Sapphire while Wallace was champ in Emerald.

So IMO, the next gen should include leaders, elite four members, or a champion (although he/she could have various types like Cynthia) with these types:

Normal
Grass (preferably Elite Four)
Flying
Poison
Ground
Bug
Steel
Dark (preferably Gym Leader)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
That would be pretty cool...

Zombie Pokemon (Insert name here)
Type: Ghost
Ability: Revival: Can get hit by ghost immunity moves (fighting and normal) but ghost moves become 2x effective on them as well (I think that should be good, any other idea's are fine)

Mummy (Insert name here)
Type: Ghost/Ground (rock works too)
Ability: Revival

-:bowser:Bowser King

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
So IMO, the next gen should include leaders, elite four members, or a champion (although he/she could have various types like Cynthia) with these types:

Normal
Grass (preferably Elite Four)
Flying
Poison
Ground
Bug
Steel
Dark (preferably Gym Leader)
I agree. Oh, and steel should be one of the E4 as well; although not champion. It only make sense from a competitive standpoint, seeing as how dominant steel types are in the OU environment as of now.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Speaking of mummies...

How about an evolutionary chain based on Egypt? Maybe a pharaoh, pyramid, or sphinx pokemon?

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
How about a Lion? Seeing as they're the real kings of the jungle...Maybe another Growlithe/Arcanine and Vulpix/Ninetales thing? Maybe (if diving is part of the story) a sea Lion?

Land Lion: I don't know what type it should be yet. Obvious moves: Bite, Crunch, ect. Should evolve once.

Sea Lion: Still evolves once, and uses water type moves, yet has the capability to use Fire Fang.

I haven't put too much thought into it...But I kind of like it.
Luxray is a lion. xP

Luxray is the king of Pokemon! ^^

And Spheal and Sealeo are seals/sealions who evolve up to a Walrus, Walrein.

Clownbot: Again, Shinx, Luxio, and Luxray.

How about a polar bear? It could be an ice/water type starter or something.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Speaking of mummies...

How about an evolutionary chain based on Egypt? Maybe a pharaoh, pyramid, or sphinx pokemon?
YES YES and more YES.

However, Dusclops very much resembles a mummy already, so we should stray more towards the mythology of Egypt. Also, Lucario is obviously based on Anubis to some degree, so we'll need to specify a bit more. Sphinx is a good bet, Pyramid is an interesting idea for Rock, and the Sun God Ra is sort of represented by our Garuda Pokemon that XACE-K and I began designing.

I'm thinking that we should design a large desert area where some of the following Pokemon can be found:

- Duskull/Dusclops
- Riolu/Lucario
- Seviper
- Sandshrew/Sandslash
- Onix (outside of a cave, what?)
- Cacnea/Cacturne
- Phanpy/Donphan
- Skorupi/Drapion
- Hippopotus/Hippowdon
- Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
- Garuda/Ra Family
- Sphinx/Pyramid Family

I'm voting on:

- Duskull/Dusclops
- Riolu/Lucario
- Seviper
- Skorupi/Drapion
- Garuda/Ra Family
- Sphinx/Pyramid Family

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Luxray ought to be in a jungle area, since he's a lion, methinks. But desert could work for Shinx though, since its name comes from the actual word sphinx.

But Luxray, king of the Pokemon jungle. xP

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not really sure that a SQUIDlike pokemon would be the best idea for a GRASS-Type starter.
They have a fire and grass turtle, I think they can be creative with the starters...

Besides, my original concept made perfect sense for having a grass squid

rockem7

Smash Ace
Yeah, good point. Making an entire type for 4 pokemon wouldn't make much sense (although ??? has only one move and is considered a type...>.>) And I was thinking something that looked more like a lion...less slim and more of a mane.

And wouldn't that Revival ability basically hurt the Zombie a lot more than it would help it?

rockem7

Smash Ace
EDIT: Nevermind. Read King Bowser's post wrong. >.>

Also, (going to a zombie and a mummy), which would be better?

1. Being able to obtain each in one game, with one evolution.

2. Only being able to get one per game, (such as Shuppet and Duskull), but each evolves twice, and to get from second stage to third, we have found another reason to use a dusk stone.

I'll try to think of some pretty legit abilities and whatnot later on.

XACE-K

Smash Master
- Seviper
- Sandshrew/Sandslash
- Cacnea/Cacturne
- Skorupi/Drapion
- Hippopotus/Hippowdon
- Garuda/Ra Family
- Sphinx/Pyramid Family
Those are my votes. For Duskull and Dusclops, I don't see them being a desert but instead a tomb that could be found inside the desert. Onix and Duskull/Dusclops could be some pokemon (among with the above listed) that can be found in the tomb.

Edit: Btw Spire, call me Xace.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I agree with #1 to an extent, but I can't quite think of evolutions and such at the moment. A zombified/mummified pokemon (this is only my opinion) seems better off being the only one of its evolutionary chain.

Also, I don't really think much of the "one per game" thing. I'm not for it, but I'm not really against it. I guess I wouldn't mind if it were to happen. And, like I said, I'm not sure if it would be better for these pokemon to have evolutions, although I agree with you that some evolution stones (not only the Dusk Stone, although that could be used more) should be brought back for the new generation.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Well, I already have ideas for the mummy's first stage (in the case of #2) and if #1 or just no evolutions is prefered, I could just use the second stage. The mummy will also look a tad more mummy like than Dusclops; browner instead of grey, and the rags would be a bit more defined than just some lines.

As for the Zombie, I haven't put too much into that yet, but I have a general idea.

XACE-K

Smash Master
For the sphinx/pyramid family suggested by Clownbot, I see them being cats since sphinx are cat-like and thy are either ground, rock, or both. Also, I see the family have 3 stage where the cat grows and size (of course) and it gather more rocks on its body to the point where it's all rock.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
^ That, like, to the 2nd degree, man.

Believe it or not, that's almost exactly how I pictured the family working out.

Top Bottom