• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Next Gen

Spire

III
BRoomer
No, your Pokemon only disobeys you if you do not have enough badges in comparison to a Pokemon's Level ("Pokemon Level 30/50/70/All will now obey you")
Thanks for confirming this. Still doesn't change the idea though.

I'll work on designing this Pokemon.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I was thinking up a few new Pokemon today after browsing through this thread, and here's my 2 favorite ones so far:

- A Bug/Dark-type Pokemon whos ability boosts its offensive powers whilst behind a Sub.

- A Water/Fighting-type with an ability that alters its stats depending on what item it's holding.

First, here's what I got for the Bug/Dark:

Physical description: A roughly humanoid, slim insect resembling a cross between a black cricket and a grasshopper. It stands on its rear 4 legs, the very last pair being powerfully built, like those of a grasshopper; the front 2 legs resemble pincirs, but end in 3 claws. The head is circular, and the small, circular eyes are set into black markings that roughly resemble eye sockets. Its jaws are small but long fangs, and opens sideways. Its most remarkable features are the 3 pairs of antennae it has: a small one on either side of its jaws, mimicking a moustache; a mid-sized pair near the center of its face; and two extremely long ones near the sides of the head. These antennae end in a lure, resembling a small insect.

Name: Needs one
Type: Bug/Dark
Ability: Lurk (Increases Attack and Special Attack 1 stage while behind a Substitute)
Stats:
Hp- 72
Atk- 115
Def- 68
Spe- 119
SpAtk- 105
SpDef- 31
Total- 510
Sample moves:
-Substitute
-X-Scissor
-Sucker Punch
-Nasty Plot
-Bug Buzz
-Taunt
-Toxic Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Bait (Pow: --, Acc: --; Makes the opponent switch out to a random Water-type Pokemon; does nothing if the opponent has none)
-Slash

I'll try to upload a picture once I find my SD card.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
I was thinking up a few new Pokemon today after browsing through this thread, and here's my 2 favorite ones so far:

- A Bug/Dark-type Pokemon whos ability boosts its offensive powers whilst behind a Sub.

- A Water/Fighting-type with an ability that alters its stats depending on what item it's holding.

First, here's what I got for the Bug/Dark:

Physical description: A roughly humanoid, slim insect resembling a cross between a black cricket and a grasshopper. It stands on its rear 4 legs, the very last pair being powerfully built, like those of a grasshopper; the front 2 legs resemble pincirs, but end in 3 claws. The head is circular, and the small, circular eyes are set into black markings that roughly resemble eye sockets. Its jaws are small but long fangs, and opens sideways. Its most remarkable features are the 3 pairs of antennae it has: a small one on either side of its jaws, mimicking a moustache; a mid-sized pair near the center of its face; and two extremely long ones near the sides of the head. These antennae end in a lure, resembling a small insect.

Name: Needs one
Type: Bug/Dark
Ability: Lurk (Increases Attack and Special Attack 1 stage while behind a Substitute)
Stats:
Hp- 72
Atk- 115
Def- 68
Spe- 119
SpAtk- 105
SpDef- 31
Total- 510
Sample moves:
-Substitute
-X-Scissor
-Sucker Punch
-Nasty Plot
-Bug Buzz
-Taunt
-Toxic Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Bait (Pow: --, Acc: --; Makes the opponent switch out to a random Water-type Pokemon; does nothing if the opponent has none)
-Slash

I'll try to upload a picture once I find my SD card.
Sounds broken, but for a Bug-type, it's about frickin' time!

Name could be like Taranka, or Tulorio, I don't know, just throwing stuff out there!
Any other names would be nice!

EDIT: Oh, geez! Didn't even see the 31 Sp. Def, maybe as broken as Yanmega!??

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I made an electric Zebra evo team awhile back. :]

Name: Joltallion

Type: Electric/Flying

Kind: Pegazebra Pokemon

Ability: Intimidate/Volt Absorb

Evolution: Evolves from Joltcolt at lvl 35

Like it?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Aw man, my final evo zebra has pegasus like wings.....
I feel somewhat unoriginal now...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Sounds broken, but for a Bug-type, it's about frickin' time!

Name could be like Taranka, or Tulorio, I don't know, just throwing stuff out there!
Any other names would be nice!

EDIT: Oh, geez! Didn't even see the 31 Sp. Def, maybe as broken as Yanmega!??
It's actually not broken at all. You just need to attack it like a mofo until it's dead. In fact, the only way it would ever get a sub off without losing it immediately afterward is if it took on walls or support or you gave it Brightpowder and prayed for evasion hax. And at least in the current metagame, neither are too reliable thanks to how rare such an occurrence for either tends to be (Blissey is your only common set-up fodder, and even it will sometimes murder you).

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Aw man, my final evo zebra has pegasus like wings.....
I feel somewhat unoriginal now...
lol really? XD

Sorry I disappointed you though. Didn't mean to make people feel unoriginal.

I'm going to make Joltcolt's sprite now out of Ponyta like I did Joltallion out of Rapidash. Btw, I changed their appearance since I first made them up. They used to be yellow with black stripes rather than black with yellow stripes and the wings were black and yellow too. Now the wings are simply white versions of Zapdos's, pretty much. xP

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I finished my electric Zebra team. :3

lvl 35 --->

Name: Joltcolt

Type: Electric

Kind: Zebra Pokemon

Ability: Run Away/Static

Evolution: Evolves into Joltallion at lvl 35

And from my previous post....

Name: Joltallion

Type: Electric/Flying

Kind: Pegazebra Pokemon

Ability: Intimidate/Volt Absorb

Evolution: Evolves from Joltcolt at lvl 35

:]

Wrath`

Smash Master
So after it evolves, it does not become Eletric/Flying? I could see this being the physical incarnation of Zapdos

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
No, after it evolves, it does become electric/flying. :/

And I used to see that, but after I changed the appearances, I couldn't see a Zapdos incarnation in the evolved form. ;)

Oh, as for moves it can learn...

Basic - Pound, Growl
lvl 5 - Leer
lvl 9 - Spark
lvl 13 - Bite
lvl 18 - Stomp
lvl 23 - Thundershock
lvl 28 - Thunder Wave
lvl 31 - Scary Face
lvl 35 - Aerial Ace
lvl 39 - Thunderbolt
lvl 43 - Thunder Fang
lvl 48 - Crunch
lvl 53 - Bounce
lvl 57 - Hi Jump Kick

They can learn a bunch of TMs as well as the Strength, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, and Cut HMs. ;D

Wrath`

Smash Master
No, after it evolves, it does become electric/flying. :/

And I used to see that, but after I changed the appearances, I couldn't see a Zapdos incarnation in the evolved form. ;)

Oh, as for moves it can learn...

Basic - Pound, Growl
lvl 5 - Leer
lvl 9 - Spark
lvl 13 - Bite
lvl 18 - Stomp
lvl 23 - Thundershock
lvl 28 - Thunder Wave
lvl 31 - Scary Face
lvl 35 - Aerial Ace
lvl 39 - Thunderbolt
lvl 43 - Thunder Fang
lvl 48 - Crunch
lvl 53 - Bounce
lvl 57 - Hi Jump Kick

They can learn a bunch of TMs as well as the Strength, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, and Cut HMs. ;D

I meant as in the current meta game.

This pokemon needs some Volt Tackle. Why should only Pikachu have it?

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Because Pikachu can't learn it by leveling up. It has to hatch as a Pichu while its Pikachu parent held a Light Ball.

Besides, I thought Volt Tackle would make this Pokemon's potential move line up overpowered.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well I made my Zebra a looong time ago, to be honest. And don't think grass fits a Zebra. I like electric better.
That's great, but it's a consensus that most of, if not all of us so far have come to. An Electric Unicorn would work far better. I see a Fire Zebra being more deserving than an Electric one really, seeing as how the Zebra is relative to the hot savannah of Africa. Remember, it all boils down to the fact that this is entirely opinion-based.

There are a lot of Pokemon that I'm sure plenty of us have come up with before that we won't submit because they just don't feel like they'll work. I applaud your work on the creation of these Pokemon, and you've quite the spriting skill, I'll give you that, but we work on this project as a team.

Plus, to be honest, Pegasus is pretty **** generic if you ask me. I'd advise staying away from that. Any animal that's winged meets a certain cliché that's been used and abused far too many times.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Too bad we already have a unicorn Pokemon (Rapidash). Also, my Zebra isn't a Pegasus. It's a Pegazebra, an original creature, and since it's striped and is a flyer, thus related to the sky, electricity works best since it's also related to the sky.

And I didn't know this was a project. I thought it was just an idea thread. I read the first post, but I didn't find anything on a project. If I missed it, I apologize.

But to be fair, why not have a vote on it?

As for winged Pokemon...well then you may as well eliminate the flying type if you think they're so cliche. :/

Spire

III
BRoomer
Too bad we already have a unicorn Pokemon (Rapidash). Also, my Zebra isn't a Pegasus. It's a Pegazebra, an original creature, and since it's striped and is a flyer, thus related to the sky, electricity works best since it's also related to the sky.

And I didn't know this was a project. I thought it was just an idea thread. I read the first post, but I didn't find anything on a project. If I missed it, I apologize.

But to be fair, why not have a vote on it?

As for winged Pokemon...well then you may as well eliminate the flying type if you think they're so cliche. :/
You don't get it.

Of course we already have a Unicorn Pokemon, and it was uniquely made, given the type of Fire rather than what might be even more expected - Electric. I admire that. There aren't many (none that come to mind immediately) mammalian Grass-type Pokemon, so a Grass Zebra would be entirely unique. Fire Zebra would be even better, but we've established that the Rapidash family takes the Fire type for the horse Pokemon.

And frankly, there's no such thing as a Pegazebra. What's a Pegasus? A horse with wings. What's a Pegazebra? A Zebra with wings. And what is that? Cliché. Flying-type Pokemon aren't cliché, but whenever you tack a pair of wings (especially feathered wings) onto a known animal that does not naturally bout wings, then that's cliché and that's what you did.

If you're so keen on getting your idea in, we can surely have a vote.

Grass Zebra or Electric Zebra, everyone?

I vote for Grass.

XACE-K

Smash Master
By cliche, he means things like a Pegasus, or a fire dragon and whatnot. Ideas that everybody has had. And because he said winged doesn't mean we can't have flying types (we can have birds), Spire just finds winged animals unoriginal.

Anyways, how does anyone think of a fighting/flying bird pokemon? I see it being either an eagle or falcon. Besides the usually flying moves, it can learn the "Kick" moves (Blaze Kick, Jump Kick, etc.), Close Combat, and other fighting type moves.

Edit: For the Zebra voting, I choose Grass because we need an animal grass type that isn't a reptile.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
I know, what I'm saying is if he finds flying animals unoriginal, then he finds any flying type Pokemon unoriginal because any flying type sans Gyarados has wings and Gyarados can't even learn any flying type moves, so it shouldn't even be flying at all.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I know, what I'm saying is if he finds flying animals unoriginal, then he finds any flying type Pokemon unoriginal because any flying type sans Gyarados has wings and Gyarados can't even learn any flying type moves, so it shouldn't even be flying at all.
No, I made myself clear. Stop assuming what I think. It's rude and obnoxious on your part.

"He thinks this, he thinks that." You don't know what's going through my head so when I do you the favor of writing my thoughts, you better be thankful. Fool.

Anyways, XACE-K, I'm loving the idea. I see a sort of Garuda Pokemon coming to fruition. It would have arm-wings, and legs, so four limbs rather than six. I'm thinking of an equal cross between Hitmonlee, Machop, Pidgeotto, and Xatu in its design. I'll cook up a sketch soon.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
No, I did not say "he thinks this, he thinks that." I said IF you think this. I don't know what's going on in your head, correct. And please don't flame me.

XACE: Chikorita isn't a reptile. :/

XACE-K

Smash Master
Oh yeah, forgot about him/her. I never picked it when I played G/S/C so I forgot about it.

Also, for the pokemon that you can find anywhere, I've been thinking of making it a hamster. There have been other rodent pokemon, but not really a hamster. Thoughts?

Edit: I threw together a quick idea of what the fighting/flying pokemon would be and I find that Xatu, Pidgeotto, and Hitmonlee seem to work best out of the ones Spire suggested.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
That'd probably be too similar to Bidoof. It kind of looks like a cross between a beaver and a hamster if you ask me. Looks nothing like a plump mouse. o_O

Spire

III
BRoomer
No, I did not say "he thinks this, he thinks that." I said IF you think this. I don't know what's going on in your head, correct. And please don't flame me.

Chikorita is a reptile. It's family is based on Sauropods (the family including the mighty Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus).

But back to our argument. You said:
if he finds flying animals unoriginal, then he finds any flying type Pokemon unoriginal because any flying type sans Gyarados has wings and Gyarados can't even learn any flying type moves, so it shouldn't even be flying at all.
And since you've blatantly argued me as if what I said is concrete and factual, then you obviously believe what I said to be exactly as I think, not "if I think that," despite having used that oh-so-iffy "if". I'm not here to flame, nor have I done so - I'm merely backing up my point and justifying what I've said as I've obviously been misunderstood.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That'd probably be too similar to Bidoof. It kind of looks like a cross between a beaver and a hamster if you ask me. Looks nothing like a plump mouse. o_O
Which is why we would make a hamster. Bidoof is a beaver, so we can make a hamster.

Actually, I'd like to go a different route. Rather than having some smelly little rodent infest the wilds throughout almost the entire land, I'd rather see a simple two-stage lizard Pokemon that serves the same purpose. Remember, breaking the formula is a good thing, especially if we're going to have mammalian starter Pokemon.

EDIT: **** double post. Sorry.

M.K

Level 55
Okay, both of you need to chill out. This is an idea thread, and neither of you need to try and prove the other wrong. If someone wants to create an Electric/Flying Zebra and another wants to create a Grass/Flying Zebra, that's fine, it is two different things and neither of you has to say why one is better than the other.
That being said, recoloring Rapidash with an Electabuzz-like print doesn't constitute a new Pokemon idea. That's why it seems so "generic".

Chikorita is a reptile. It's family is based on Sauropods
As it has been seen that all breedable Pokemon produce eggs regardless of classification, it can be inferred that animal classifications applied to the real world can not be applied to the world of Pokemon.
Yes, Chikorita is based on a Sauropod, but based on your logic, Steelix, a Pokemon based upon a snake, would also a reptile.

TL:DR, IRL animal classifications =/= Pokemon Classifications. The farthest we can discern is Breeding groups.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Well, how else was I supposed to make the sprite? I'm not good enough to make it from scratch, plus Zebras naturally have stripes like that anyway. If you know how I can make a more original looking sprite, then feel free to tell me, as it would be very helpful.

Also, I'm sorry I'm getting so defensive, but I have a history full of unaccepted ideas for projects and it gets me annoyed when it continues happening. However, ironically, people often say I have great ideas. Seriously, what's wrong with this picture? :/

EDIT: Oh, btw, I never knew black Electabuzz with yellow stripes existed.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Okay, both of you need to chill out. This is an idea thread, and neither of you need to try and prove the other wrong. If someone wants to create an Electric/Flying Zebra and another wants to create a Grass/Flying Zebra, that's fine, it is two different things and neither of you has to say why one is better than the other.
That being said, recoloring Rapidash with an Electabuzz-like print doesn't constitute a new Pokemon idea. That's why it seems so "generic".

As it has been seen that all breedable Pokemon produce eggs regardless of classification, it can be inferred that animal classifications applied to the real world can not be applied to the world of Pokemon.
Yes, Chikorita is based on a Sauropod, but based on your logic, Steelix, a Pokemon based upon a snake, would also a reptile.

TL:DR, IRL animal classifications =/= Pokemon Classifications. The farthest we can discern is Breeding groups.
Stay out of it MK. Two people can settle a conflict between ideas without interference from an outsider. This is simply a case of one person supporting an already accepted idea, and another proposing an opposing idea. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course some misunderstandings may come out of it, so correction ensues.

And you, I, and most people know that Pokemon produce eggs because live births would not be appropriate for the targeted age audience. Some Pokemon are obviously mammalian, some are obviously reptilian, fish, amphibian, bird, insect, or based a bit more abstractly, like Hitmonlee, Geodude, Haunter, etc, created around a specific concept or element rather than an animal. Because of this, because most animals in the world lay eggs, and because in Pokemon, many different types can interbreed (Skitty and Wailord), the egg is the universal symbol of birth, and hence, is applied to all species of Pokemon.
Well, how else was I supposed to make the sprite? I'm not good enough to make it from scratch, plus Zebras naturally have stripes like that anyway. If you know how I can make a more original looking sprite, then feel free to tell me, as it would be very helpful.

Also, I'm sorry I'm getting so defensive, but I have a history full of unaccepted ideas for projects and it gets me annoyed when it continues happening. However, ironically, people often say I have great ideas. Seriously, what's wrong with this picture? :/

EDIT: Oh, btw, I never knew black Electabuzz with yellow stripes existed.
Black Electabuzz with yellow stripes is the same as yellow Electabuzz with black stripes. Just depends on how you look at it.

Also, there's a method of spriting called "scratching", where you draw the sprite from scratch. There are quite an abundance of examples of these around the Poke Center. Check out The Custom Pokemon Shop for some. Mewter and I have quite a number of them, but we're not the only ones who have created them.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice

I see a lot more yellow on this guy than black. Plus I see a different stripe pattern anyway. :p

And I know what drawing sprites from scratch is, but I would suck at it because I've never done it before. >_<

Spire

III
BRoomer
And I know what drawing sprites from scratch is, but I would suck at it because I've never done it before. >_<
You should try it out. The more you practice, the better you'll become. It takes time, but is totally worth it if you enjoy spriting :)

XACE-K

Smash Master
Less talking about spriting, more talking about next gen. :)

How about an evolution of Spinda? With it being based upon a panda due to his fur, let's make the evolution more panda-like based upon physical appearance. It's ears could be less rabbit-like and it could be bigger and fatter.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, 'cept I'm not extremely interested in spriting. xP

And a Spinda evolution would indeed be nice. I'm all for that idea.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wait, what is the point in this thread again? Is it creating a 5th Gen, or guessing towards what 5th Gen probably will entail?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I seriously think that grass zebra is the best idea. It's not cliche and is more closely related to the in-real-life zebra then an electric zebra. We already have the main layout and sprite for it done so that only further pushes me towards the idea. A recolour of ponyta and rapidash with stripes doesn't really beat out something like a completely scratched sprite that must have taken a fairly long time to make.

Taking those things into account I think grass is the better choice.

EDIT: ...and I'm updating the OP again :)

-:bowser:Bowser King

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
^My sprites took a long time. >_>

Spire: Yes. Doesn't mean I absolutely have to create any myself. I did though, and I got complaints that I just recolored Rapidash. Well, I'm no better at spriting than that, so I won't create anymore sprites.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
^My sprites took a long time. >_>

Spire: Yes. Doesn't mean I absolutely have to create any myself. I did though, and I got complaints that I just recolored Rapidash. Well, I'm no better at spriting than that, so I won't create anymore sprites.
Were not saying your sprites are bad. All were saying is that green's sprite fits a lot better because it's completely new, just like all new generations.

Also, I never said yours didn't, it's just scratching takes a lot more then using the eraser tool and then adding stripes.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Top Bottom