• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Dante is NOTHING like Sephiroth. Sephiroth is evil and has a style completely different than Dante. “Oh they have a sword and white hair.” Guess what Dante has. A sword, transforming nunchucks, a motorcycle sword, wind and fire dual blades, summon swords, fire gauntlets and greaves, metal wings that stick thorns into you that explode when a rose is thrown at them, and an electric guitar that shoots bats. Let’s not forget his dual pistols, shot gun, dual rocket launchers, magic hat, and magic brief case that can shift between 666 different forms! Dante is also a fun loving guy with a lot of personality and he loves to play with his enemies! He’s also got TWO different forms!

TL;DR Dante is VERY different than Sephiroth if you more than glance at him.
And Master Chief is very different from Doom Slayer, but they're both green armored gun dudes.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This might sound gate-keepy of me but I think there shouldn't be selectable difficulties for the challenge, only Very Hard being how it is. If you want him early, you should have to earn that, methinks. Obviously, if this was going to remain how to unlock him, I'd agree with the options, but nah.

Super tiny nitpick though, hardly matters.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And Master Chief is very different from Doom Slayer, but they're both green armored gun dudes.

Has nothing to do with it. You're saying different characters aren't allowed just because they have a certain feature someone has? Sephiroth and Dante don't even have the same hair style, stop being irrational.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Has nothing to do with it.
The point is, I don't see two visually similar characters being in the same Fighter's Pass.
I prefer Dante myself, but I feel like Monster Hunter is our Capcom fighter this time around.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So for anyone that has gotten Sephiroth. How you liking him so far? Is he as you guys expected?
I anticipated that his startup and endlag would be pretty bad - I was right.

His movement speed is fast so I'm pretty happy with that.

He definitely takes some getting used to, that's for sure. Have to learn to be good at spacing and being patient.

I like that he's got edge guarding options too.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed we finally get a playable katana user and his iaijutsu move is incredibly underwhelming, just the lame uncharged version of octaslash

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, but unlike Master Chief and the Doom Slayer, Dante and Sephiroth don't really share color schemes since Dante's mostly red and Sephiroth laughs at the concept of bright colors.

EDIT: But honestly the more important part is that they give off very different vibes both aesthetically (Dante is more modern while Sephiroth is pretty gothic) and personality/playstyle wise. Dante is wacky wahoo, and Sephiroth is "Omae wa mou shindieru".

This might sound gate-keepy of me but I think there shouldn't be selectable difficulties for the challenge, only Very Hard being how it is. If you want him early, you should have to earn that, methinks. Obviously, if this was going to remain how to unlock him, I'd agree with the options, but nah.

Super tiny nitpick though, hardly matters.
If you want him early, you should have to earn that, methinks.
you should have to earn that
Very Hard Sephiroth runs into a raw Cross Chop 3 times and dies

Yeah. Heheh. Earn it...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

So in the end...the two survivors of the Grinch Leak were Ken and Banjo-Kazooie.

May the others rest in peace.
FP2 and its hype phase being over will revive one, whether you think that's "realistic" or not. It just won't be Geno, obviously.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
The point is, I don't see two visually similar characters being in the same Fighter's Pass.
I prefer Dante myself, but I feel like Monster Hunter is our Capcom fighter this time around.
I disagree. If you add Chief and Doom Slayer in the same pass, they would be absolutely nothing alike, in terms of movesets, stage choices, spirits, and stages.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

So in the end...the two survivors of the Grinch Leak were Ken and Banjo-Kazooie.

What if the Grinch Leak was the same guy who made Cacamallow? The ultimate leak man?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
FP2 and its hype phase being over will revive one, whether you think that's "realistic" or not. It just won't be Geno, obviously.
Nah m8. Even if the last three fighters aren't super big hype characters, I'm more than certain Shadow, Isaac, Chorus Kids and Mach Rider ain't gonna be DLC.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so im downloading the update

then imma wreck sephiroth with joker on easy cuz im the mother of all cheapskates and i have zero shame

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I really hope Dante and Alucard are in Smash 7 so I can have my trifecta of white haired badasses.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nah m8. Even if the last three fighters aren't super big hype characters, I'm more than certain Shadow, Isaac, Chorus Kids and Mach Rider ain't gonna be DLC.
I did try to imply I didn't think they'd all make it. Besides, you thought Sephiroth and an ARMS rep were im-****ing-possible.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I disagree. If you add Chief and Doom Slayer in the same pass, they would be absolutely nothing alike, in terms of movesets, stage choices, spirits, and stages.
Like at least they share genres so you could conceivably say they would be too similar.
Why would you say a character-action beat-em-up fighter like Dante has no chance because a JRPG character stole his slot

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd buy your point if Dante was the next character, but if he was CP10 or CP11 I don't see a problem here.

The only thing they share is the white hair, and well, both characters have a sword, though their swords are pretty different. Besides that, Dante wears a red jacket. Sephiroth a black coath, and has a black wing. Dante's main gimmick would probably be multiple weapons or his style switching. Or both.

So I don't see an overlap that big that would make Nintendo go like "let's pick Dant-wait, nope. He's really similar to Sephiroth. We have to choose another one".

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

Da** haven't thought about the Grinch leak in a while. Talk about old speculation days, wasn't even around much during that time, considering we were almost practically a month away from Smash Ultimate's launch. Yeah, may those characters rest in peace. Isaac was one of those that I wanted during the base game cycle. Seeing his assist trophy still stings, but at least, he's still in the game and not completely missing like he was during Smash 4. I also want to put my condolences to the Geno supporters. I like maybe everyone else, thought Sakurai would've at least gave him the Bomberman Mii Costume treatment and not even that. Kinda surpised he didn't even mention him in the presentation neither. When we get his Famitsu column interview, I hope he brings up why, just to have some closure on him at least and to his supporters.

Now, that the presentation is over, I really hope we get another Nomura and Sakurai interview from Famitsu like last time with how they did Cloud. If we don't get it, it would be completely understandable considering everything, but I would honestly like to know what the thought process was when it came to choosing Sephiroth from both sides. As for Sephi himself as a character, he sure does fit in like a glove. Like he's one of those characters that you think should've already been in the game.

Shroob

Sup?
You know the one thing I dislike about the Sephiroth Challenge?

We won't be able to do it with the last three characters. :drsad:

I hope the team takes a note from Splatoon and allows it to come back at some point. And here's hoping the last three bring stuff like that too, because it's cool as ****.
On the off-chance it's Monster Hunter as one of the last spots, maybe you can do it in reverse.

Aka, play as Monster Hunter to defeat Rathalos.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
One thing I hate online is the teabagging.

Like man, cmon. shakes head

Like even when they're losing, they still do it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do have to wonder how Dante would work. Would he have sword normals and gun specials or a mix of both in the normals and the most iconic other weapons as specials? For his Neutral Special, would he wield his guns and would he be able to cancel his attacks into them, or would he have extendo attacks like Bayonetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom