• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wasn't there a post here a while back detailing Maximilian Dood's reaction to Sephiroth's reveal, and one of the things he said was "Final Fantasy VII characters are expensive to license due to how popular they are"?
It doesn't make sense for there to be only 2 costumes in this pack.

Even if more FF characters were too expensive, there's no reason they couldn't fill out the pack with NON-FF characters. You know, like EVERY OTHER PACK has done.

Like, what did Bomberman and Travis have to do with Steve? Or Vault Boy with Min Min? Or Altair and Cuphead with Byleth? etc.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It doesn't make sense for there to be only 2 costumes in this pack.

Even if more FF characters were too expensive, there's no reason they couldn't fill out the pack with NON-FF characters. You know, like EVERY OTHER PACK has done.

Like, what did Bomberman and Travis have to do with Steve? Or Vault Boy with Min Min? Or Altair and Cuphead with Byleth? etc.
My only idea on how this might be possible is if Square is so stingy that they don't allow any Mii costume from a game they down own to be revealed with content they own.

It would explain why Cloud only had Geno and Chocobo and why Hero only had Dragon Quest.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
So... wait.

How do we know this then?
Know what? That the 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 notifications exist? They appeared in game around when those respective updates released; anyone who started up Ultimate and pressed any button on the title screen while those notifications were active could've seen them.

What we can't check is their news post numbers; at least, the method I was using up until 8.0.0/Min Min doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I can't see a scenario where we don't get at least the Chocobo hat back. I can see us not getting Geno or the other FF7 characters, but Chocobo came with Cloud before and I doubt they'd cut it entirely when Sephiroth has just been added to the game. That's one I'm sure will be back no matter what happens tomorrow.

That said, if we're only getting the Chocobo costume tomorrow I wonder what's going on with the skipped event we found earlier. Are they planning a Chocobo event for the release, or did we jump the gun and it's not related to the Mii Costume at all?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Know what? That the 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 notifications exist? They appeared in game around when those respective updates released; anyone who started up Ultimate and pressed a button on the title screen while those notifications were up could've seen them.

What we can't check is their news post numbers; at least, the method I was using up until 8.0.0/Min Min doesn't work anymore.
Not that those notifications exist.

I mean, how do we know there will only be a certain amount of notifications in the near future?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, just in-case Sephiroth doesn't launch today, I decided to do some more math stuffs and figure out a potential release date if the same-day launch scenario doesn't pan out.

I made [x] the date of Sakurai Presents, and [y] the release date of each DLC character. And mapped a liner function to it.

I got two possible release dates of:
December 25th, 2020
December 29th, 2020

So... yeah. The equation is trending towards end of the month, and even includes a potential Christmas Day release! Of course, definitely take with salt since this is just math, and might not be entirely accurate. I still think Sephiroth launching today makes the most sense, but we'll just have to wait and see!

Last edited:

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Not that those notifications exist.

I mean, how do we know there will only be a certain amount of notifications in the near future?
Oh, because the news post for the newest 'Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members' went up, and its number (110) leaves a notable gap between it and the last known number (103). Assuming the notifications for 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 take up two of those spots (because we can't actually check what numbers they occupy), that would only leave four posts for content related to 10.0.0 and Sephiroth.

There are a lot of potential ways those four posts could be filled, but we won't know for certain until 10.0.0 is actually released.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, how many on here buy the mii costumes and actually use them?
I only buy Premium costumes and costumes for characters I want to become playable.

When I play Gunner, I play Sans.
When I play Swordsman, I play Goemon.
When I play Brawler(one of my mains), I play Rude(who I made myself).

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Oh, because the news post for the newest 'Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members' went up, and its number (110) leaves a notable gap between it and the last known number (103). Assuming the notifications for 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 take up two of those spots (because we can't actually check what numbers they occupy), that would only leave four posts for content related to 10.0.0 and Sephiroth.

There are a lot of potential ways those four posts could be filled, but we won't know for certain until 10.0.0 is actually released.
Didn't the 'Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members' post show up before the Mii Costumes for Min Min and Steve previously?

Staarih

Smash Master
I dunno, these "news post numbers" remind me of spirit event and/or tournament numbers and the likes, which they sometimes skip and go back or just ignore etc, like couldn't they just add new news posts if needed? Does it have to be the four in between for Sephiroth?

Or then I'm just not educated on the matter as the whole shenanigan took place while I was sleeping. Oh well, we'll know soon enough.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Bear in mind one thing...

The exclusive offer for Steve was actually ordered before Steve and his mii costumes
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/cb89fd6e/img/2092_list.jpg (2092)
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/b94dfc13/img/2095_list.jpg (2095)

This is also true for the other fighters
EXCEPT for Min Min for whom the opposite was true
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/7a77f37f/index.html? (2089)
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/3e8d1637/index.html? (2083)

Don't think you can reach any actual conclusion from this.

The Steve thing was a completely different case since the post that was used as a point of comparison for him was
which was completely unrelated to the presentation batch of news.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Very unlikely.

The "Planned software update" notifcations and "Software update available" news posts have seperate numbers from each other; this has been the case for all of Ultimate's life so far. Any in-game notifcation that appears when starting up the game has a news post number; and while it was possible to check them in the past, I don't believe that can be done anymore.
So we have no clue what those two posts might be. They could be anything, 111 and 112, 104 and 105, or even something else. We'll just have to wait for the presentation because we don't know right now.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I'm just gonna wait and see what happens, because it feels like we're missing a key piece to a puzzle.
That's very likely! It's hard for me to see only one Mii Costume happening myself.

The two major posibilities that I see that would lead to more than one Mii Costume are:
  • The exclusive offer post is actually breaks up the 10.0.0/Sephiroth/Volume 2 notifications and the Mii Costumes.
  • There are four unexplained gaps in the numbering and all of the 10.0.0/Sephiroth posts, including the Mii Costumes, come after 110.
Both of them break the typical order these news posts have abided by since they started doing these exclusive offers with Terry, but they're technically possible,

Didn't the 'Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members' post show up before the Mii Costumes for Min Min and Steve previously?
The 'Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members' have come both before and after every other post for their respective updates:
  • Terry - before
  • Byleth - before
  • Min Min - after
  • Steve - before
We only have one example of it coming after so far (not much precedence though, to be fair), but considering the amount of unexplained gaps between 103 and 110 i'd be surprised if none of the 10.0.0 news posts fell in there.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I will say though, if he really comes with 2 costumes that theory about Square holding FF7 content ransom in exchange for yet another FF7 character kinda goes down the ****ter, and the "ackshually square isn't stingy/expensive" people will suffer a major blow

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Only two Mii Costumes, eh?
I was about to give up on Geno, but this might actually work out in his favor.
Iirc, ever since Sans, every DLC wave came with a Deluxe Mii Costume.
That may mean that Geno's getting the Deluxe Mii upgrade, but if it's someone else like Rayman or Shovel Knight, we could be in for a wild speculation ride.
I'll just say right now that if Geno isn't a Mii Costume tomorrow, then I'll be all in on him as a playable fighter.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Well, here is my prediction on the Mii costumes showing up for the Sephiroth's showcase, regardless of the current rumor going on right now.
  • Mii Swordfighter: a outfit based on the SOLDIER enemy
  • Mii Gunner: a outfit based on the trooper/officer/infantryman enemy from Shinra Public Security Division
  • Mii Brawler: a outfit based on the member from the Turks organization, though the business suit outfit already exist in Smash, so it is kinda unlikely
  • A returning Mii costume(s) from Smash 4
  • A Mii Costume from a indie or rated-M game

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Well, here is my prediction on the Mii costumes showing up for the Sephiroth's showcase, regardless of the current rumor going on right now.
  • Mii Swordfighter: a outfit based on the SOLDIER enemy
  • Mii Gunner: a outfit based on the trooper/officer/infantryman enemy from Shinra Public Security Division
  • Mii Brawler: a outfit based on the member from the Turks organization, though the business suit outfit already exist in Smash, so it is kinda unlikely
  • A returning Mii costume(s) from Smash 4
  • A Mii Costume from a indie or rated-M game
Now those are some cool ideas. Those outfits would be such an instant buy.

D

Deleted member

Two Mii Costumes? Yeah, I don't see that happening.

They were able to provide four Mii Costumes for Hero's presentation, and Dragon Quest is a massive series.

They were also not only able to purchase Sephiroth, but they were also able to make a three minute CGI trailer with him and Cloud dueling. If they were able to do the stuff I mentioned, then I don't see the issue in getting some Mii Costumes.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Two Mii costumes only, out of the numbering of the news posts? Given how we've consistently had 5 costumes minimum each time, regardless of source material of either the newcomer or costumes, it'd be very hard to see that happening.

Part of me morbidly wonders if we'll get both Sora and Geno Mii costumes later. Smash Ultimate has not been one to leave popular requests ignored, but it does follow up on them in less-than-desirable ways...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As Shroob said, Geno's fate hangs on a thread right now.

If Geno gets in as a Mii Costume, he's not becoming a fighter at all.

If Geno's Mii Costume isn't showed, then Geno will have an interesting chance if FP3 is confirmed.

I don't think FP3 is likely, but who knows what will happen?

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Given how we've consistently had 5 costumes minimum each time, regardless of source material of either the newcomer or costumes
Actually, Erdrick's corresponding pack only had 3 costumes <technically 4 but, come on>, the smallest of them all so far
DQ1 Erdrick, Martial Artist, Veronica and the Slime hat
and Dragon Quest belongs to, you guessed it, Square Enix

this is definitely in their wheelhouse to just
not give us anything, especially since Cloud's costumes from Smash 4 were already just 2 costumes already

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh- so we're back in the "Square-Enix are ****ing stingy" train uh?

I missed that one, probably my favorite behind "Mickey Mouse keychain" and "RUGH ANIME SWORDSMAN FE BAD"

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'm probably in the minority here for not caring about mii costumes at all. I've never bought one, and probably won't anytime soon.

I may get the Sans one because that song is pretty awesome but I'll see.

Only thing I care about is how much music we're getting, and if Sephiroth is actually viable, and fun to play as.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Oh- so we're back in the "Square-Enix are ****ing stingy" train uh?
The Sora icon is having hard time believing there favorite company hasn’t been having the best representation when it comes to Smash, 4 times in a row

So he’s getting mad when people are putting there expectation low based on those 4 times

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Sora icon is having hard time believing there favorite company hasn’t been having the best representation when it comes to Smash, 4 times in a row

So he’s getting mad when people are putting there expectation low based on those 4 times
Nah I agree with Nekoo, Square clearly isn't the stingy party as they gave the ok to Octopath, Mana, SMRPG, DQ and FF. The music's got Sugiyama, who we know is stingy, and Uematsu, who'd need royalties. FF spirits would need Nomura's ok and the English VA's entirely on Nintendo NA being anti-union or in the case of Hero, lazy.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I've literally been there for both Smash 4 and Ultimate explaining the change of relationship between Square and Nintendo during the past years.
Before we knew that Smash Ultimate would have EVERYONE IS HERE as it's tagline, EVERYONE though that Cloud would be cut, I though he wouldn't.
I said we would get another SE DLC, people though "LOL NO NEVER THEY'RE STINGY", we did get one.
We though we wouldn't get anything special when Erdrick got rumoured, we got 4 Heroes. (albeit the music is a sad thing, but that's all on Sugimuya's part, not SE) and more than 2 Mii costume didn't we?
We also got Octopath travelers Spirit Boards didn't we?
We also go Secret of Mana Spirit board didn't we?

I'm on the train that if we get Sephiroth, it won't be just two music, two mii costume and that's it, we will get more as there is also a spirit board to fill up.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly Dragon Quest's representation is mostly totally adequate.

Besides the character (with four different heroes in one) and stage, we got 14 spirits (one of which was added post release, even), three costume sets + a hat, and eight music tracks. The only problem is that those eight music tracks are awful sounding MIDIs, but as Nekoo mentions above, that's all on Sugiyama.

It's just the Final Fantasy department that seems to be an issue.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Tbh, there is no way in heaven or hell that Square is only giving us less than 4 costume. If Hero could provide 4 costume that easily then it goes without saying that that would be the same case with Sephiroth, data mining or whatnot.

This is just mii costume, I don't want to talk about music since that's all on their own.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
My post was purely an hypothetical based on the data on the in-game news site that I've already put into question by pointing out the ordering is inconsistent when it comes to those switch online exclusive offers
No need to blow up like that

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
I've literally been there for both Smash 4 and Ultimate explaining the change of relationship between Square and Nintendo during the past years.
Before we knew that Smash Ultimate would have EVERYONE IS HERE as it's tagline, EVERYONE though that Cloud would be cut, I though he wouldn't.
I said we would get another SE DLC, people though "LOL NO NEVER THEY'RE STINGY", we did get one.
We though we wouldn't get anything special when Erdrick got rumoured, we got 4 Heroes. (albeit the music is a sad thing, but that's all on Sugimuya's part, not SE) and more than 2 Mii costume didn't we?
We also got Octopath travelers Spirit Boards didn't we?
We also go Secret of Mana Spirit board didn't we?

I'm on the train that if we get Sephiroth, it won't be just two music, two mii costume and that's it, we will get more as there is also a spirit board to fill up.
You're forgetting Cloud's new final smash in that list :)

I think we are going to have an acceptable pack. 6-8-10-12 songs, 10 spirits, a good stage (i hope with cameos) and 4-6 mii costumes

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're forgetting Cloud's new final smash in that list :)

I think we are going to have an acceptable pack. 6-8-10-12 songs, 10 spirits, a good stage (i hope with cameos) and 4-6 mii costumes
Only thing I really disagree with here is cameos, we'd have seen them in the trailer if there were any but all we saw was the Highwind. Shame too cause I'd love to see Jenova appear, terrifying kids like The Thing it is

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Square Enix in relation to Smash is such an odd beast anyway. Anywhere between 1-5 costumes wouldn't surprise me in the least, and I'm not holding my breath when it comes to a lot of new music tracks. I suspect the spirit board will be a bit more generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom