• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I dunno, man, a lot of people forgot that he WAS IN the game at first.
Which considering the connections Vincent has to major players to the story (like Sephiroth and Hojo), it's honestly kinda baffling. It was revealed that they wanted to do a whole lot more with him but had to get the game done so he was rushed.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I hope Vincent's given a fun playstyle if/when he appears in FF7 Remake Series. He's a cool character but man does his gimmick make me never want to actually use him in FF7 on purpose over anyone else.
Prompto in FFXV was fun to play as after his DLC was released.

Would you be fine with his gameplay if it was something similar to that? More flashy though of course.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
For the record I'm not saying Sephiroth's overall DLC update will be lacking cause "Square is stingy"

i'm saying it because literally every time it's a Square character, it happens to be less than that of most others, with the exception of I think either Banjo or Minecraft getting less songs?

Either way, it's less the company itself and just more context clues about what we've already been given in the past lol

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Remember these hero vs villain artworks in the K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie trailers?

I wonder how the initial reactions to beginning of the Sephiroth reveal trailer would have been if it included these shots in the very beginning.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think it’s possible not sure how close to Christmas they want to release him
That’s what I was thinking. I know on Steve/Alex’s presentation they were released 10 days after. Now, that’d be 2 days after Christmas. Not that it matters I suppose.

I just want to play him so bad. When he got revealed, I freaked out. Never thought he had a chance. Never knew how bad I wanted him until he showed, but my God, I have a MIGHTY NEED.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Random thought: Silent Hill's whole deal is that it's ironically trying to help people through their trauma by scaring the ever loving poop out of them through symbolic nightmare monsters right? So what if a Silent Hill stage changed depending on who was on it? I think they'd have a lot of fun with such an idea.

I'm not sure they'd go as far as design entirely new monsters for a single stage, but the possibilities are intriguing...
That would be a dope idea for a stage, but Silent Hill only works like you say in Silent Hill 2.

In Silent Hill 1 or 3, while the town certainly isn't a normal place, it isn't a symbolic prison of the protagonist.

So maybe that wouldn't be really accurate to the series.

Everyone talking about Barret Mii gunner outfit, but what about Vincent Valentine? He's probably the most popular secondary character in the game.
Vincent is a really popular character so I could see him making it as a Mii Costume instead of Barret, Tifa or Aerith, to be honest. Similar to how Iori made it and not Kyo, though I guess Sakurai being an Iori fanboy influenced that lmao

He is quite popular, but I feel like he is less than Barrett, Tifa and Aerith. It doesn't help that he's not in the remake for now.
Well, Vincent doesn't appear during the Midgar part so while the Remake had multiple changes, putting Vincent that early in the story doesn't feel like a good idea in my opinion.

SKX31

Smash Master

I guess it was just the style at the time of the mid-2000s. (seeing as these games came out between late 2004 and early 2006)
Oh boy this is a trip down memory lane. Yes, that was a major part of the mid-2000s zeitgeist. Sure, by that point the two Matrix sequels had largely stifled interest in the Matrix franchise (the previous "edgy" cultural touchstone),... but Harry Potter had plenty of room for edgy stuff (as evidenced by the torrents of fan fics, My Immortal was written and first spread in 2006-2007 just as an example). South Park and Family Guy were seen as rather fresh (IIRC) back then too, etc.

There were several video game edgelords popular within their respective fandoms at the time, partly because that was seen as "mature" by a largely teenage fanbase: Not just Sephiroth and Shadow, but also characters like WarCraft's Illidan (who like Vincent has a demonic transformation). And that was further amplified by sites like NewGrounds, Fanfiction.net and early YouTube in its "Unregistered Hypercam 2" glory (?). This old Flash-animated battle between Link and Zero to the tune of Linkin Park's "In The End" is in retrospect a prime example. (Edit: Youtube Mirror uploaded 2008 here, with different music apparently.)

Oh and also:

Which considering the connections Vincent has to major players to the story (like Sephiroth and Hojo), it's honestly kinda baffling. It was revealed that they wanted to do a whole lot more with him but had to get the game done so he was rushed.
Wouldn't be surprised if Vincent gets a much more expanded role in FF7R Part 2 or whatever because it's seen as a chance to "redo" stuff, even if that's not confirmed at all.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Oh boy this is a trip down memory lane. Yes, that was a major part of the mid-2000s zeitgeist. Sure, by that point the two Matrix sequels had largely stifled interest in the Matrix franchise (the previous "edgy" cultural touchstone),... but Harry Potter had plenty of room for edgy stuff (as evidenced by the torrents of fan fics, My Immortal was written and first spread in 2006-2007 just as an example). South Park and Family Guy were seen as rather fresh (IIRC) back then too, etc.

There were several video game edgelords popular within their respective fandoms at the time, partly because that was seen as "mature" by a largely teenage fanbase: Not just Sephiroth and Shadow, but also characters like WarCraft's Illidan (who like Vincent has a demonic transformation). And that was further amplified by sites like NewGrounds, Fanfiction.net and early YouTube in its "Unregistered Hypercam 2" glory (?). This old Flash-animated battle between Link and Zero to the tune of Linkin Park's "In The End" is in retrospect a prime example.
Let us never forget this monstrosity:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Wouldn't be surprised if Vincent gets a much more expanded role in FF7R Part 2 or whatever because it's seen as a chance to "redo" stuff, even if that's not confirmed at all.
I agree that Vincent is likely to get a much more expanded role in Remake. Not just to make him much more relevant in the plot of FF7 with his connections to Sephiroth and Hojo, but likely to erase Dirge of Cerberus from the face of the planet. XD

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think I'm still committing to my prediction of the Geno Mii showing up today. I personally just really don't see Nintendo going for two third-party characters from the same company in the same pass, as that's a trend we haven't seen bucked since DLC started on Smash 4.

I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you: Any non-zero chance is still a chance. I just don't really see it, especially if he isn't CP9 and skips the very easy Mario 35th promo tie-in. It'd be a very strange move from Nintendo, and if today's content drop truly is the smallest we've seen yet, that only hurts Geno IMO because it'd show SE really is just a butt to work with.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Random thought: Silent Hill's whole deal is that it's ironically trying to help people through their trauma by scaring the ever loving poop out of them through symbolic nightmare monsters right? So what if a Silent Hill stage changed depending on who was on it? I think they'd have a lot of fun with such an idea.

I'm not sure they'd go as far as design entirely new monsters for a single stage, but the possibilities are intriguing...
I honestly think Silent Hill might be a bridge too far. If Sakurai thought Dracula's Castle was getting a little too dark for Smash with a gothic aesthetic and classic horror monsters, then I don't know how a bloodstained, rusty asylum with flesh monsters running around is going to get by.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder what the balance patch that comes with Sephiroth will bring.

Thanks to Covid, the hive of scum and villainy that comp Smash became, and Nintendo's lawyers being Nintendo's lawyers, we haven't had much tourney data to go off of for Steve. I'm thinking his lava + TNT trick might get patched out.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Oh right, Cloud's VA is also a Sakurai. Wonder how many times people got those two mixed, especially given their first name being pretty similar.

Remember these hero vs villain artworks in the K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie trailers?

I wonder how the initial reactions to beginning of the Sephiroth reveal trailer would have been if it included these shots in the very beginning.
It would have been cool but they reused the idea for Banjo's trailer and i don't think a third time would ever be considered

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
So I'm not sure where we're getting the "only two mii outfits" thing from, but if that's the case I can see it going two ways:

1:
Barret Gunner
Tifa Brawler

2:
Chocobo Brawler
Geno Deluxe Gunner

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A few pages late on this, but if you honestly believe there was no pragmatic advertising component to adding Greninja and Incineroar, and that it was purely Sakurai thinking they'd be unique, then hoo boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

You don't throw your draconian business partners, who are rich enough to buy and sell you twice over might I add, under the bus by saying "oh yeah they said I had to use this one to match their multi year ad plan." Hell, that's not even a secret, really. Sakurai even said he talks it over with them to keep the Pokémon roster contemporary.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well, Vincent doesn't appear during the Midgar part so while the Remake had multiple changes, putting Vincent that early in the story doesn't feel like a good idea in my opinion.
Considering the nature of the remake, I wonder why. :nifty:
Oh yeah, I know that he couldn't be in the remake, I'm just saying that most of the new fans will probably not known about him, so I think they will stick with Barrett and Tifa.

I honestly think Silent Hill might be a bridge too far. If Sakurai thought Dracula's Castle was getting a little too dark for Smash with a gothic aesthetic and classic horror monsters, then I don't know how a bloodstained, rusty asylum with flesh monsters running around is going to get by.
I just want a Pyramid head costumes from Silent hill. It would probably looks silly, but it's probably the best realistic way to represent the franchise.

New Prediction.

Chocobo Hat
Geno (Gunner: Deluxe/Premium) + Beware the Mushroom Forest soundtrack

Also, expect us only getting One Winged Angel and JENORVA as FFVII soundtracks.
Honestly I'm a bit more optimistic on the music side. Smash 4 dlc where different than what we have now. With the fighter pass and the individual challenger pack, Sakurai has stated that music is very important. You don't just buy a fighter, you buy a fighter, a stage and a bunch of music. I expect 5-7 music. That being said, none of them are going to be remixes and all of them from og FF7. My prediction would be:
-One winged angel
-J-E-N-O-V-A
-Hurry
-Bombing mission (opening theme)
-Crazy motorcycle chase
-Electric de chocobo
-Birth of a god

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
by that point the two Matrix sequels had largely stifled interest in the Matrix franchise
The "Matrix sequels bad" mindset didn't actually start until Revolutions. Reloaded was once popular enough to be the former highest-grossing R-rated movie.
There was also the Bomberman that said the **** word

Yes, but that's not edgy 2000s culture.

D

Deleted member

A few pages late on this, but if you honestly believe there was no pragmatic advertising component to adding Greninja and Incineroar, and that it was purely Sakurai thinking they'd be unique, then hoo boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

You don't throw your draconian business partners, who are rich enough to buy and sell you twice over might I add, under the bus by saying "oh yeah they said I had to use this one to match their multi year ad plan." Hell, that's not even a secret, really. Sakurai even said he talks it over with them to keep the Pokémon roster contemporary.
I have no idea if your post was in response to me or not, but I will add a point.

I agree. I definitely believe that Greninja and Incineroar were used to promote their generations. Byleth was definitely added to promote Three Houses and its new DLC I believe, but Min Min I am a bit confused. Maybe they just thought ARMS would be cool, or maybe they wanted to increase its community. Maybe both.

I was just confused about the word "shill" that people in here throw a lot. Like, isn't Smash a large advertisement, as somebody said?

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have no idea your post was in response to me or not, but I will add a point.

I agree. I definitely believe that Greninja and Incineroar were used to promote their generations. Byleth was definitely added to promote Three Houses and its new DLC I believe, but Min Min I am a bit confused. Maybe they just thought ARMS would be cool, or maybe they wanted to increase its community. Maybe both.

I was just confused about the word "shill" that people in here throw a lot. Like, isn't Smash a large advertisement, as somebody said?
All characters are shill but some are more shill than others.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Keeping the Pokemon roster contemporary isn't just about advertising, though (though I'm sure it enters into the equation). It's worth keeping in mind that the composition of the fanbase changes from decade to decade, and that with every new generation of Smash there's a new generation of Nintendo gamers who are starting with that generation's Pokemon title as their first Pokemon game. With that in mind, regularly adding new Pokemon makes a lot of sense! And while I was unconvinced at first, I have to admit that Incineroar really does have an excellent and and unique moveset.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Keeping the Pokemon roster contemporary isn't just about advertising, though (though I'm sure it enters into the equation). It's worth keeping in mind that the composition of the fanbase changes from decade to decade, and that with every new generation of Smash there's a new generation of Nintendo gamers who are starting with that generation's Pokemon title as their first Pokemon game. With that in mind, regularly adding new Pokemon makes a lot of sense!
At the same time, there's now way more people who got into Pokemon via Pokemon Go than Sword & Shield, so a gen 8 Pokemon would be irrelevant to them. At least plans for Incineroar might've started before Go got so big.
I mean having a character made for Children say swear words falls under edgy late 90's to edgy early 2000's.
Fair enough.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
At the same time, there's now way more people who got into Pokemon via Pokemon Go than Sword & Shield, so a gen 8 Pokemon would be irrelevant to them. At least plans for Incineroar might've started before Go got so big.

Fair enough.
Yup, good point re: Go!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Considering I like to present my ideals to other people, does that make me a shill?
It's a reference to Animal Farm by George Orwell. (I assume - maybe variations of that phrase have become a meme on their own and I wasn't aware of it. I know the book uses the phrase "All animals are equal", which is hastily edited to become "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" as the pigs take power for themselves)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a reference to Animal Farm by George Orwell. (I assume - maybe variations of that phrase have become a meme on their own and I wasn't aware of it. I know the book uses the phrase "All animals are equal", which is hastily edited to become "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" as the pigs take power for themselves)
I know, I have heard of that joke a lot of times.

I was just questioning myself. Like, what in the world is a "shill"?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Yo I want to know if the Sephiroth only coming with 2 mii costumes thing is like 100% gonna happen?
'Cause I heard some people say that it might point towards just 2 costumes or more depending on the order of the "smash news" or whatever I didn't really understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom