• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The biggest Issue I see in frogger's way is the fact that Konami has no clue what they want to do with the franchise, and it seems that they just want to put out anything with the Frogger name so they can make money.
That's basically Konami's modus operandi for everything these days. This is the same company that scrapped Silent Hills but did use the IP for gambling machines:

And to make matters worse, they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to have one called the $25,000 Pyramid Head Game.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I saw this theory in the Eggman thread, what do you all think about it?

I don't know. I don't think Nintendo would give away the pass that easily. That'd make it so that two characters in Fighter Pass 2 are going to be from Sega and Konami or a third character from Microsoft is happening which is very unlikely.

Also I get Warpstar Inc. for King K. Rool's trailer because of King Dedede but there are no Kirby characters in Banjo & Kazooie's trailer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Garchomp would be awesome. I mean, it's a frickin' landshark. That's awesome by itself. It would also be our first Pseudo Legendary Pokemon in Smash.

Also, the parodies that would erupt if Garchomp were a character.
Not to mention we could finally have crocodile ( :ultkrool: ) vs. shark (Garchomp), better yet a team-up between them.

Apex predators baby!

Last edited:

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
As badly as the Sonic franchise needs new content, I wouldn't expect Eggman. Remember when Jonesy suddenly got a boost in speculation on Twitter because he was mildly similar to Steve? I feel like this is a repeat of those events, Sephiroth and Eggman are both popular villains from pre-estabilished franchises, but ultimately there is nothing specifically pointing towards him.

7NATOR

Smash Master
i don't think this content neccecarily needs to be a character, the Konami quota could've been filled by Bomberman. I don't think we've gotten any Sega content since Joker though.
Akira and Jacky came with Terry

However since the Trend of Fighting gam characters coming with each other exist, is interesting Situation though

There's been no Sega or Capcom Costumes in FP2 however, and Sega does not have any veteran costumes to return. yes

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Arle is cool but Beat is cooler. If we're getting another SEGA fighter it oughta bring in a bit of JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOO!
Speaking of SEGA... if Nintendo can't figure out what to do with F-Zero, they oughta let them take a crack at it. I can't think of any studio that could do it better justice.
They did, during the Gamecube Era, Sega developed F-Zero GX and F-Zero AX for Gamecube & Arcades respectively.
It's honestly my favorite game in the entire F-Zero franchise and I want at least an HD Remaster of it.
1.jpg

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
On another note. I'll be having supper at my dad's place tomorrow. Depending I'll be watching the presentation on his TV on YouTube or on my phone.
Your dad: puts his fork down "Son, why is there a one winged man beating people up on your phone?"

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
They did, during the Gamecube Era, Sega developed F-Zero GX and F-Zero AX for Gamecube & Arcades respectively.
It's honestly my favorite game in the entire F-Zero franchise and I want at least an HD Remaster of it.
View attachment 295825
GX was developed by Sega? Thats the best one! Nintendo should just hand over the IP at this point.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
GX was developed by Sega? Thats the best one! Nintendo should just hand over the IP at this point.
Specifically the guys that went on to make Yakuza
They even took a stab at racing again with the Taxi Racing "minigame" in Yakuza 5 and they did a Kart Racer in Yakuza 7.

D

Deleted member

Hey you know, we should look into the possibilities of what "setbacks" will no longer exist for the last 3 characters of Vol 2 since that has been a common theme of this lineup so far. We have Min Min (a character that says Spirits can be in Smash too), Steve (a character that says Nintendo can double dip on the same company for DLC if they want), and Sephiroth (a character that says an antagonist/non-protagonist can also be in Smash). They all pretty much open the gates for a list of possibilities for other characters, so maybe it's not so far fetched to believe in something like, say, an Indie Game getting a Challenger Pack which could open the doors for other Indie games to get DLC outside of just Mii Costumes.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Everyone but Banjo & Kazooie are using their in-game models. I don't really have enough context to believe the theory as a whole one way or the other, but this doesn't disprove the point you're trying to counter.
In-game model or not, they were still shown on a CGI scene, so I don't see how the same logic as the actual CGI stuff can't apply here.

blackghost

Smash Champion
We got Min Min bro get outta here with your backseat executive talk

All of the realistic Final Fantasy characters would still make bank because they're Final Fantasy characters. Hell, most people will buy whoever the fighter is because it's Smash and that's what people do.
In what world would N executive of Nintendo NOT want to push a new IP in essentially the best advertisement on the planet?

Once again you aren't thinking like they do. They ready know if arms is getting a sequel or not. Nintendo isn't like most game companies they don't usually announce things that early. The exceptions of Bayonetta 3 and method prime 4 don't change years of behavior patterns.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey you know, we should look into the possibilities of what "setbacks" will no longer exist for the last 3 characters of Vol 2 since that has been a common theme of this lineup so far. We have Min Min (a character that says Spirits can be in Smash too), Steve (a character that says Nintendo can double dip on the same company for DLC if they want), and Sephiroth (a character that says an antagonist/non-protagonist can also be in Smash). They all pretty much open the gates for a list of possibilities for other characters, so maybe it's not so far fetched to believe in something like, say, an Indie Game getting a Challenger Pack which could open the doors for other Indie games to get DLC outside of just Mii Costumes.
Yeah, I suggested this a while back too. Every DLC seems to break a pattern, but it ends up not mattering because the next fighter proceeds to break a different pattern. We started noticing this after people pointed out that we had a habit of rushing to similar characters after a reveal, only to shift gears when the next fighter gets announced.

I've suggested Reimu before, who would be the first true indie (Steve's an indie in spirit, but doesn't fully count due to Microsoft), as well as being the most Japan-centric third-party to date (Though Touhou does have a strong enough Western following for ZUN to just rely on them for translations). My other suggestion would be Isaac, who would be the first promoted Assist Trophy in the same game. This would also be an inclusion that you could actually say breaks a rule, though said rule was only explicitly given for Smash 4 and hasn't been reconfirmed or denied for SSBU.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So at the very least we know a "Premiium" costume is coming tomorrow due to the gap.
A Premium costume might be coming, but I again fail to see why that is the only option.

The spirit event can be based on a normal costume. It can be based on anything other than FF7 (and probably SMRPG). Just because this happened with Cuphead doesn't mean this has to be exactly the same situation.

Is it bad that I've just come to see "Eggman" and "Chun Li" as dumb memes thanks to the last few days?
Don't worry, for better or for worse people will drastically decrease discussing them when the next character isn't from an existing third-party series.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Anyone hoping for crono is going to need an actual miracle to see him in this game. Spra is an unlikely reach. Crono is a borderline impossibility.
I'm sticking with monster hunter in my head my heart wants chunli or Morrigan.

I do think a fighting game character is very likely and the two main sources I'd expect are tekken or soulcalibur. Soulcalibur most likely is easily nightmare. tekken is more complicated.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Is it bad that I've just come to see "Eggman" and "Chun Li" as dumb memes thanks to the last few days?
Chun li was discussed prior to sepiroth reveal. She has a legit claim if another Capcom character shows up.
Eggman only started discussion because some people thought he's more iconic than sepiroth. Then it mutated into Eggman should be next if we get another 3rd party villain.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In-game model or not, they were still shown on a CGI scene, so I don't see how the same logic as the actual CGI stuff can't apply here.
Not sure if a single image counts as a scene, but eh.

Let's be honest, Eggman was always a dumb meme
Or the devil incarnate. There's really no in-between with him.

Steve (a character that says Nintendo can double dip on the same company for DLC if they want)
I don't think that was ever a thing, just that they wouldn't "double dip" within the same pass. It's just the whole "appealing to a wide audience" thing taken to the company level.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Chun li was discussed prior to sepiroth reveal. She has a legit claim if another Capcom character shows up.
Eggman only started discussion because some people thought he's more iconic than sepiroth. Then it mutated into Eggman should be next if we get another 3rd party villain.
I've Seen Eggman brought up occasionally on here even before Sephiroth. There's also been Youtube Speculation videos that guess at him

Eggman did benefit from Sephiroth getting in from a Speculation Standpoint though. Like before on here while he was discussed, he wasn't taken as seriously. Legit Sakura and Arle were seen as Frontrunners, while Eggman was not. Now people looking into him more

Chun-Li I think's been mentioned less. at the least I don't see her in youtube Speculation videos. I think she's the one that benefitted the most from Sephiroth, because I rarely saw her discussed here

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wow, I can't believe we're getting five whole newcomers still! Surely, seeing as we've just gotten Piranha Plant, these five fighters will be mooks as well!
- Somebody, maybe, circa 2018
The funny thing about Piranha Plant is that "firsts" generally bust down the gate for an influx of additional requests in that vein. Look, for example, at the thing we were just talking about, people requesting Eggman and Chun-Li in the face of Sephiroth being the first second original third-party.

But despite being defended as he was, no one is really asking for more generic mooks, are they? Almost like most people don't really want those kind of characters, but will pretty much defend whatever we get regardless.

Which is... either troublingly conformist, or unwaveringly open-minded, depending on who you ask.

What I will say is that if someone's opinion over additions is either always positive or always negative, it hinders their credibility somewhat.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wow, I can't believe we're getting five whole newcomers still! Surely, seeing as we've just gotten Piranha Plant, these five fighters will be mooks as well!
- Somebody, maybe, circa 2018
There were people unironically thinking Poochy was a lock because there were no non-yarn spirits of him. That's as close as you'll get.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I know Sephiroth being the 1st character to be 2nd unique rep for a 3rd party series potentially open other 2nd unique reps for other 3rd party characters. It's clear why Sephiroth was added in 1st. The lack of content from Final Fantasy. I don't see characters from Sonic or Mega Man for example is because they would be bringing scraping from the bottom of the barrel for their DLC content.

The consistent pattern for the FP characters is that the characters's series or game(Three Houses in this case) had no or barely had content represented in Ultimate prior to their inclusion.

The only other 2nd rep 3rd party character that would be feasible would be from Street Fighter because III/IV/V barely have any content in the game right now.
You forgot Metal Gear with that. There's a lot of Revengeance content that Raiden could bring that isn't in the base game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom