• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
"By the end of December 2020" means exactly the same thing as "December 2020." This isn't really news.
I agree with you in this case, but to be fair to those reading it differently., "by the end" is typically read as later than sooner. Like, if Nintendo announced a new Smash game would be released by the end of the decade. Most would assume it's coming in the late 2nd half instead of in the next couple of years.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree with you in this case, but to be fair to those reading it differently., "by the end" is typically read as later than sooner. Like, if Nintendo announced a new Smash game would be released by the end of the decade. Most would assume it's coming in the late 2nd half instead of in the next couple of years.
That's why people are already assuming the last character won't be available until November or December and not like... August.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sephiroth Presentation announced to be 35 minutes long.

Full Translation from Google Translate:

""How to use Sephiroth" will be broadcast from 7:00 am the day after tomorrow! We will approach the charm of the legendary soldier "Sephiroth" of "FINAL FANTASY VII". Broadcast is scheduled for about 35 minutes. Please take a look. #SmashBrosSP"

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Does this mean Terry's presentation, which was 45mins if I'm remembering correctly, is the longest we've had so far?

I thought Seph would get 45mins too.
A quick glance on YouTube gives these times (rounded up/down)
Terry - 49
Steve - 46
Byleth - 39
Min Min - 35
Banjo - 25
Hero - 22
Joker/Plant N/A

So Sephiroth is right in the middle.

Does this mean Terry's presentation, which was 45mins if I'm remembering correctly, is the longest we've had so far?

I don't think Sakurai needs to teach us how to play fighting games this time, though. Or play through classic mode.

I do wonder how deep he'll go into the Sephiroth lore. Maybe he'll teach me an easy trick to win the final battle in FF7.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Terry's presentation was mostly long because Sakurai decided to play through his entire Classic Mode, he usually does a different "gimmick" when showing off each new fighter.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't think Sakurai needs to teach us how to play fighting games this time, though. Or play through classic mode.

I do wonder how deep he'll go into the Sephiroth lore. Maybe he'll teach me an easy trick to win the final battle in FF7.
Step one - obtain Knights of the Round
Step two - ......well, that's basically it, you're golden.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
A quick glance on YouTube gives these times (rounded up/down)
Terry - 49
Steve - 46
Byleth - 39
Min Min - 35
Banjo - 25
Hero - 22
Joker/Plant N/A

So Sephiroth is right in the middle.
Weird to think about how Sakurai presents are such a new thing, they genuinely feel like a key part of the Smash experience.

That would explain a lot. The build I used to get through the game made everything super easy except Sephiroth, who bodied me hard. I made Cloud super buff and gave him cover and counter attack, so he destroyed basically everything solo. That doesn't work when your enemy almost one-shots the entire party.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That was pretty much the only summon that I didn't get in FF7 - I felt like trying to get the Golden Chocobo would be too time-consuming.

I'm guessing that we're going to get a full Classic Mode playthrough to get the presentation to 35 minutes, though hopefully Sephiroth includes more than just Final Fantasy 7 content, so Sakurai can take some time to explain those games. (even if it's just briefly)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That was pretty much the only summon that I didn't get in FF7 - I felt like trying to get the Golden Chocobo would be too time-consuming.

I'm guessing that we're going to get a full Classic Mode playthrough to get the presentation to 35 minutes, though hopefully Sephiroth includes more than just Final Fantasy 7 content, so Sakurai can take some time to explain those games. (even if it's just briefly)
He's labeled actually as FFVII, so... beyond the costumes and amiibo shown up, it's not very likely. He might go a little into the history of FF on Nintendo, maybe? Since it has a major history in general(and not just with Nintendo). Like Dragon Quest, it's a codifying set of rpg's.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He's labeled actually as FFVII, so... beyond the costumes and amiibo shown up, it's not very likely. He might go a little into the history of FF on Nintendo, maybe? Since it has a major history in general(and not just with Nintendo). Like Dragon Quest, it's a codifying set of rpg's.
It is worth noting that it's not impossible though since the "Persona 5" series has Persona 4 and Persona 3 stuff, and the "Fatal Fury" series has things from all of SNK. It'll probably be more like the former example if we get anything like that, but it would be better than nothing, so I hope that's the outcome.

Or at the very least, more than 2 MIDIs.

Shroob

Sup?
I imagine someone has mentioned this before but:

January:ultbylethf::ultbyleth:
February -
March
April:ultjoker:
May -
June:ultminmin
July:ulthero:
August -
September:ultbanjokazooie:
October:ultsteve:
November:ult_terry:
December :ultsephiroth:

Smash certainly loves Fall and the holiday season
May feels like a cursed month lol.

March next year seems pretty damn likely due to the Amiibo wave next year, but May is like.... if you have a character to drop in May, feels like you'd just hold it until early June to line up with E3.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
That would explain a lot. The build I used to get through the game made everything super easy except Sephiroth, who bodied me hard. I made Cloud super buff and gave him cover and counter attack, so he destroyed basically everything solo. That doesn't work when your enemy almost one-shots the entire party.
Makes me wonder how they're going to balance Sephiroth in smash.

Will he be able to body and one shot the other characters too? xD

I feel like he may make a lot of people rage online for some reason.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is worth noting that it's not impossible though since the "Persona 5" series has Persona 4 and Persona 3 stuff, and the "Fatal Fury" series has things from all of SNK. It'll probably be more like the former example if we get anything like that, but it would be better than nothing, so I hope that's the outcome.

Or at the very least, more than 2 MIDIs.
Difference is Final Fantasy isn't generally represented beyond 7 anyway, bar at best one costume(and Chocobo Hat is specifically based upon a spin-off game that isn't actually labeled Final Fantasy). No other literal FF game is represented. Persona came in as having alternate content immediately. We have yet to see that with FFVII as is. Same with Dragon Quest. FFVII is an outlier, however, as you wouldn't expect it with other franchises. I wouldn't take any other franchises into account cause they're from different developers/IP owners or were already shown to not be like FFVII at all.

Though yes, having more than two songs would be nice. At least we're guaranteed 2 minimum.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I know the Geno thread caught on to that one. Gotta give them credit where it's due from time to time.
I don’t think this holds any water but it feels like February or March are good dates to expect the next character followed by August. Perhaps we could get a double reveal at E3 this closing out the Fighter’s Pass with the last character double dipping on a fall month.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I imagine someone has mentioned this before but:

January:ultbylethf::ultbyleth:
February -
March
April:ultjoker:
May -
June:ultminmin
July:ulthero:
August -
September:ultbanjokazooie:
October:ultsteve:
November:ult_terry:
December :ultsephiroth:

Smash certainly loves Fall and the holiday season
January also had Plant albeit for early adopters. Non early release was February.

If I had to guess final release dates... April, August, December. To drag things out.

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t think this holds any water but it feels like February or March are good dates to expect the next character followed by August. Perhaps we could get a double reveal at E3 this closing out the Fighter’s Pass with the last character double dipping on a fall month.
Reminder, that :ultpiranha:'s release date was Feb 1st, and they do count it in the "Paid downloadable fighter" category for obvious reasons.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well I got to ask, What characters do you Know, If I May ask
That are currently not in the game? I know a lot more now than I did back then. But if I take out what I've learned from Smash speculation, out of the major ones--I wouldn't know about Geno, Arle, Monster Hunter (I would know of the series, nothing about the characters), Ryu Hayabusa, 2B. I would know about Doom and Master Chief, though haven't played the games. The ones I do know are the ones I'm still pulling for, like Crash. And Sonic characters.

You didn't know who Mewtwo was?
Meant third party DLC, but back then I didn't even know Mewtwo and Lucas were DLC, that's how out of the loop I was. And never played Melee, so Ultimate was my first time playing Mewtwo.

Shroob

Sup?
January also had Plant albeit for early adopters. Non early release was February.

If I had to guess final release dates... April, August, December. To drag things out.
That kinda feels like you're forcing the DLC to end in December, when December 2021 was always just a failsafe to give them enough wiggle room in case stuff went FUBAR.

We got an Amiibo wave coming in March, so I think, at the very least, March is a very safe bet for our next character. That, and ol' Sepphy is coming barely 2 months after Steve. If the last 3 take 4 months in between, something has gone very south very fast.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I think we'd have a "What is Final Fantasy?" segment, where he talks about the appeal of the series as a whole, followed by talking about FF7 and the lore, then Sephiroth's moves. Similar to Fire Emblem. I wouldn't expect gameplay hints, but do expect casual spoiler dumps. It's interesting how he talks about characters as if people don't know who they are, while simultaneously spoils the games freely.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah I really don't see us having to wait until December for FP2 to end. Assuming we go about the same pace we are now, I see it going down:

CP9 = March
CP10 = June (cuz E3 time)
CP11 = September

Even if there maybe is a little delay at some point, I don't think that'd push things further than October.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Difference is Final Fantasy isn't generally represented beyond 7 anyway, bar at best one costume(and Chocobo Hat is specifically based upon a spin-off game that isn't actually labeled Final Fantasy). No other literal FF game is represented. Persona came in as having alternate content immediately. We have yet to see that with FFVII as is. Same with Dragon Quest. FFVII is an outlier, however, as you wouldn't expect it with other franchises. I wouldn't take any other franchises into account cause they're from different developers/IP owners or were already shown to not be like FFVII at all.
Isn't generally? We only got Final Fantasy content 1 time. There isn't much of a precedent set here. And just because things are different doesn't mean that they are absolutely, completely, and totally unrelated and incomparable. It's not at all a leap in logic to say that the fact that other more specifically named series feature content from outside that series means that the same could happen for this next wave of "Final Fantasy VII" DLC.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah I really don't see us having to wait until December for FP2 to end. Assuming we go about the same pace we are now, I see it going down:

CP9 = March
CP10 = June (cuz E3 time)
CP11 = September

Even if there maybe is a little delay at some point, I don't think that'd take push things further than October.
This feels like a pretty safe roadmap. I have 0 idea when FP11 will drop, but 9 and 10 feel very safe, if only because the Amiibo in March and E3 in June. Now, if we get an Amiibo announcement in say, the March presentation, that could change up the roadmap, but who knows at this point.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that we have Sephiroth (which is amazing btw) how do y’all feel about a Shin Megami Tensei character getting in?
It would be really rad. Demi-fiend would probably be the pick, he's probably the most well-known protag of the series. Flynn from SMT IV would be cool as well, though.

I imagine Demi-fiend in Smash being more about buffing himself or debuffing enemies, focused in physical skills. While Flynn could represent the summoning part of the series. Not saying he would be a Pokemon Trainer-esque character, but he could summon different demons, probably with his specials.
Getting a SMT representative in general would be amazing, regardless of who they pick. Also: SMT music in Smash. That would be impossible to top.

I'd gladly take the timeline where we're able to Divine Shot Mario's face:

Just saying but if that supposed Mario quality group supervises Smash then they wouldn't have allowed Sakurai to kill Mario in numerous different trailers, and they certainly wouldn't have allowed him to put K. Rool in Smash. Smash is definitely out of their jurisdiction and they have no say on what happens there.
If anything I'm pretty sure Smash, or Sakurai, would get a pass. Sakurai does basically what he wants and Nintendo seems to trust him blindly. I mean, assuming the trailers and their content are directed by Sakurai, I doubt Nintendo would allow Mario getting 'stabbed' in normal circumstances.

If Sakurai wants to add Waluigi I'm certain Nintendo wouldn't be a problem. Thing is, we're in DLC season and Nintendo is supposedly the one choosing the characters, so it could go either way in my opinion.

Maybe this time he'll finally catch that invite.
YES please. Kyo should be the next SNK character, if that happens at all that is.

Weird to think about how Sakurai presents are such a new thing, they genuinely feel like a key part of the Smash experience.
Sometimes I feel sad because Joker never had a Sakurai Presents, and I'd have been very excited to see he nerding about the series and all. We know he's a fan of the series, but I'm curious if he would have said "if you want to play Persona 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5... go buy a Playstation" lmao

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't generally? We only got Final Fantasy content 1 time. There isn't much of a precedent set here. And just because things are different doesn't mean that they are absolutely, completely, and totally unrelated and incomparable. It's not at all a leap in logic to say that the fact that other more specifically named series feature content from outside that series means that the same could happen for this next wave of "Final Fantasy VII" DLC.
No, we still kept FFVII only content going into Ultimate. It's now labeled even more clearly as FFVII on the site. Treating it like other series is silly. It's simply not like others.

It was never treated even close to similar otherwise. FFVII is an outlier, but one to expect to continue. It's a pretty clear precedent for that series. Focus on one game. This isn't something other series do either, because they simply chose a different path. It's one thing if it was just 4, but Ultimate is still clearly the case, showing it may not even be a licensing factor alone. FF in general has shown absolutely no evidence in being represented. Chocobo Hat is a stretch when it pretty much already is a creature very well known in FFVII, and isn't, again, a design from any literal FF game, but a spin-off Chocobo game(which of course being as Chocobo's big thing, namely breeding, is a FFVII notable bit? Yeah, it's still pretty much focused on VII).

There's precedent only from completely unrelated series. There's no reason to think those series are setting a precedent beyond themselves. As it's different people and different negotiations, these things do actually exist in a vacuum.

It'd be nice if I'm wrong, but I see absolutely no good reason to believe we'll get anything but FFVII content here.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Hey all, wanted to ask you all on this idea. What if Bandai Namco does get a fighter this pass, and what if they choose Nightmare from Soul Calibur. Then we would get two villains in this fighter pass.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, can I just say I much prefer this method of reveal/releases?

I guess it started with Byleth, but I much, much prefer the: "You get a trailer NOW and see gameplay 1~2 weeks later, with a release briefly after" than "Here's a trailer, release is X months away".

It keeps the hype more condensed instead of letting it wane over time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This post has inline spoilers for Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively. Click 'em at your own risk

It's interesting how he talks about characters as if people don't know who they are, while simultaneously spoils the games freely.
It's also really weird what he chooses to spoil and what he chooses not to. Like, in Byleth's presentation, he avoided spoiling the fact that he fuses with Sothis (or something, which is a pretty minor spoiler all things considered), but the game straight up reveals that Fiora's death is a fake out death, which is knowledge that could pretty easily ruin the first act of the game because the perception is now "lol she ain't dead".

I don't think all of the spoilers are bad here, but some of them really are, and it would probably be best if they were avoided altogether from now on.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm actually excited for the Mii Costumes.
I want a Deluxe Black Mage Swordfighter, but I predict a Deluxe Geno Mii Gunner.
But my off the wall prediction is a Deluxe Rayman Mii Brawler. I would be satisfied, as the Brawler's moves suit Rayman very well (Unlike a certain bomber whose Shot Put attack should have been modeled after a bomb).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom