• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Who are the villains we still need in order to say the most iconic ones are in the game?

I'd say:

Akuma

Dr. Robotnik

Team Rocket Grunt/Giovanni (Although Mewtwo might work fine since he's the final "boss" of Red and Blue).

Albert Wesker? (Assuming we eventually get a RE rep).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I can go back and quote that the only predicted character of this entire cycle was Hero, who was leaked (as Erdrick). Please do not make me, it's more work than my little Grinch (haha, pun not intended) heart can take.
maybe as a whole, but some people definitely called some characters. I had Steve pinned as FP7 for awhile
His personality could be his lack of personality, in a way. An unchanging expression worked to make :4villager: and the Sun/Moon Protagonist memes of sorts, it could work for Steve.
I'm going all in on Minecraft Steve. I feel like there's a lot of things going for him, some smal, some big.

• Very popular, a fitting E3 reveal.
  • I could imagine Nintendo wanting to get as much out of the Microsoft partnership as possible, because there's no guarantee how long it will last.
  • Minecraft helped Banjo get in, Nintendo might return the favor.
  • Most of the longer trailers were either for multiple/complex characters (Belmont, Hero. Smash 4 Palutena) or slower-paced trailers simmilar to in their game (Isabelle, Byleth). I could easily see Steve being in either of those categories.
  • He is not lightweight and would probably have a projectile.
  • We know this character is practically done (via the missing tourney slots), but they're not going into detail. What if they're waiting for Minecon?
The last time I was this confident about a character, it was... Arle for FP5. My gut doesn't exactly have the best track record, but I'm still gonna belive it unconditionally!

noms: PMD x maximum

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also I Might be Crazy for saying this

But for the 5Chan Leak, Crash is actually the Character that makes me Believe it less, Not Reimu or KOS-MOS.

Something is telling me that Crash is not coming in this Fighter Pass. It's not really based of logic, is more of a Feeling I get
Yeah me too. Which is a shame. I actually think Spyro has a shot- but I have strong confidence Crash wont come (and that's a shame- a shame of bleeding hearts)
If there is going to be a Capcom character in this pass, I think it should be Chun-Li. I mean, she is the First Lady of Fighting Games, easily Capcom’s biggest character not playable and Smash is the only crossover series Ryu has gotten in without her also being playable. Since people consider Smash to be a celebration of gaming, why not bring in the Capcom character with the biggest cultural impact and icon status left and have her mix it up with Nintendo icons like Mario, Link and Samus? Casuals and hardcore gamers would have their mind blown.
............ Sorry, I'd be hella pissed to see a third Street Fighter and not Lara Croft.
Whom I also think is a bigger, and more prevelant, gaming icon.
Who are the villains we still need in order to say the most iconic ones are in the game?

I'd say:
Dr. Robotnik
Team Rocket Grunt/Giovanni (Although Mewtwo might work fine since he's the final "boss" of red and blue).
Here ya go.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im just sad so many people are misinformed about Cloud and Sephiroth their personality is completly diffrent in FF7 than in The Remake/sequel and smash reflects this sad trend

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I'd say:

Akuma
Dr. Robotnik
Team Rocket Grunt/Giovanni (Although Mewtwo might work fine since he's the final "boss" of red and blue).
Albert Wesker? (Assuming we eventually get a RE rep).
For this I would say M.Bison/Vega (Dictator) for Street Fighter as well.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wonder how Chun-Li's command inputs would work in Super Smash Bros. When I looked them up, they seem to be incredibly inconsistent between games. My best guess would be that she'd be based off of her Street Fighter III: Third Strike iteration, but they might fuse them together a bit. Assuming the former, her special moves would probably be something like this:

• Neutral Special (:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR:): Kikoken-Hadouken, but balanced for Chun-Li.
  • Side Special (:GCD:(hold):GCU:): Spinning Bird Kick-An attack that's very similar to Ryu and Ken's Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, but I think it would be more important to her overall kit.
  • Up Special (:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:): Hazanshu-An attack that's very similar to the Mii Brawler's Soaring Axe Kick. The command input could make an interesting trade of height for distance.
  • Down Special: Probably either Focus Attack again, or Hyakuretsu Kyaku-They could go with something like a V-Trigger, but the Focus Attack is more tried and true. I'm also 90% sure that Hyakuretsu Kyaku would be made a rapid jab instead, but it's worth mentioning.
EDIT: If they did go with only the half circle and charge motions from Street Fighter III: Third Strike, the command input gimmick would probably be at its best since misinputs would be much less of a thing.
Step one- pick up assist trophy
Step two- do nothing

Oracle Link

Smash Master
For everyone who doesnt know Cloud/sephiroth here are some facts

Clouds Personality:
Cocky always tries to act as if he is the coolest
This is because his memories fused with that of his friend Zack who he tries to imitate after he knows the truth he reverts back to his actual personality which is nerdy,friendly,scared but brave

Sephiroths Personality:
Cool and calm at first but after the incident
Manipulative evil and Powerobsessd

Clouds Look:
in FF7 he looks like his first alt in Advent children and the Sephiroth trailer he looks like his second alt

Clouds Sword:
The buster Sword is his weakest Sword
it was given to him by zack

What is sephiroth:
he is a HUMAN infused with Jenova cells not an angel his one wing isnt on his back but actually on his right arm in his final form Safar Sephiroth

Im just sad so many people are misinformed about Cloud and Sephiroth their personality is completly diffrent in FF7 than in The Remake/sequel and smash reflects this sad trend
To be fair, Cloud's personality in FF7 is kind of a front/projection in the first place. The game barely shows what he's really like when he lets the facade fade towards the end of the game. It's implied he's socially awkward, though. Since the trailer's based on Advent Children, that facade shouldn't be there in the first place.
Fun fact: Cloud suffers from motion sickness unless he's driving.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
To be fair, Cloud's personality in FF7 is kind of a front/projection in the first place. The game barely shows what he's really like when he lets the facade fade towards the end of the game. It's implied he's socially awkward, though. Since the trailer's based on Advent Children, that facade shouldn't be there in the first place.
Fun fact: Cloud suffers from motion sickness unless he's driving.
but he isnt really depressed at the end of ff7 only while he thinks he isnt cloud is he depressed but luckily he is cloud

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
For everyone who doesnt know Cloud/sephiroth here are some facts

Clouds Personality:
Cocky always tries to act as if he is the coolest
This is because his memories fused with that of his friend Zack who he tries to imitate after he knows the truth he reverts back to his actual personality which is nerdy,friendly,scared but brave

Sephiroths Personality:
Cool and calm at first but after the incident
Manipulative evil and Powerobsessd

Clouds Look:
in FF7 he looks like his first alt in Advent children and the Sephiroth trailer he looks like his second alt

Clouds Sword:
The buster Sword is his weakest Sword
it was given to him by zack

What is sephiroth:
he is a HUMAN infused with Jenova cells not an angel his one wing isnt on his back but actually on his right arm in his final form Safar Sephiroth
The wing is true if you only count OG Final Fantasy 7, but with Crisis Core due to the Jenova experimentations by his father, his wing is indeed on his back. Hojo was a sick ****.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

When those last 3 characters come out, this will be by far the best batch of newcomers in Smash history, and it won't be particularly close.
I'd say Brawl had better First Party picks in my opinion. King K. Rool and Ridley are the only first party characters I like in Ultimate. In Brawl you had Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B. and Wolf. A lot of these characters were heavily requested.

Third Party characters though? Ultimate beats Brawl hands down.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If there is going to be a Capcom character in this pass, I think it should be Chun-Li. I mean, she is the First Lady of Fighting Games, easily Capcom’s biggest character not playable and Smash is the only crossover series Ryu has gotten in without her also being playable. Since people consider Smash to be a celebration of gaming, why not bring in the Capcom character with the biggest cultural impact and icon status left and have her mix it up with Nintendo icons like Mario, Link and Samus? Casuals and hardcore gamers would have their mind blown.
I guess I feel.... we should have more fighting characters from non street fighter than from it.
And right now we have two from SF and two others, including two no one has heard.

That's a lot. Where's Scorpion? Or Heihachi? Or Nightmare? Comparable franchises

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
What is sephiroth:
Something I've been confused about with that last point
Sephiroth has the one wing on his arm in the original last fight with Safer Sephiroth like you said. In Kingdom Hearts 1, he has his normal appearance but with the one wing on his back. This also appears in Advent Children years later yet many credit Advent Children as the origin of this look?

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Do you know that Safar/seraph sephiroth is based on an biblical angel called seraphim (gallem/Kyra is based on these angels aswell)
<Picture

sorry for posting this in this thread aswell i just love this fact
Much more fun fact(s):

People always assume "Safer Sephiroth" is a mistranslation of what is supposed to be "Seraph Sephiroth". It is in fact a correct possible transliteration of its Japanese name: "セーファ・セフィロス", read as "Seefa Sefirosu", other potential transliterations could be "sefer", "sapher" or "sepher".

Thus, Safer Sephiroth is almost assuredly meant to be "Sefer Sefirot", which translates to "Book of Numerations", referring to the Sefirot in the Kabbalah of Jewish Mysticism: the 10 emanations from which the physical and metaphysical realms are created by Ein Sof (The Infinite)

So, what does all this **** have to do with the plot of FFVII, you ask? Little to nothing, but PS1 Squaresoft RPG Xenogears (littered with all sorts of religious references, mostly Gnosticism, Judaism and Christianity) was originally meant to be FFVII before becoming its own separate project and its creator, Tetsuya Takahashi, was mentor and good pals with rising star Tetsuya Nomura, who was in charge of designing the characters of FFVII and took part in the making of its story, and exchanged a few character ideas during developments of both games according to certain interviews, with Nomura actually being part of Xenogears' development team at the early stages.

For an example of this influence from the other side: the character of Citan from Xenogears, a katana wielding (of course) "asian tactician type of character" was suggested by Nomura to Takahashi and his wife.

Well that went places. But, I hope I helped everyone learn a bit about the origins of these things. This stuff fascinates me.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
The wing is true if you only count OG Final Fantasy 7, but with Crisis Core due to the Jenova experimentations by his father, his wing is indeed on his back. Hojo was a sick ****.
im only counting the original because i dont like the fact that sequels/midquels to this game exist
because the ending was open to interpreattion
Sephiroth has the one wing on his arm in the original last fight with Safer Sephiroth like you said. In Kingdom Hearts 1, he has his normal appearance but with the one wing on his back. This also appears in Advent Children years later yet many credit Advent Children as the origin of this look?
sorry mistake on my part

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Who is the general consensus for cp9?
One Piece spoilers: (for the chapters in the mid-to-late 300s - it's old news by now, but it was a pretty big plot twist at the time)

Rob Lucci

I have been waiting way too long to use this.

In all seriousness, I have no idea. My guess would be either Crash Bandicoot or Ryu Hayabusa, but I'm not sure if there's a general consensus.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Sephiroth's wing started with it being on Safer Sephiroth at the end of FFVII. Kingdom Hearts 1 was the game that started having Sephiroth with the wing in his human form. In terms of continuity, Crisis Core explained how he got his wing and that was because of the Jenova experimentation Hojo (his father) did when he was inside his mother's womb.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
the only Posible bonus character i can see them adding is something along the lines of Mii Caster. where it doesn't come with music nor stage. and is even free... but the value is returned in mii caster costumes.

Mostly because a new mii fighter would feel "cheap" if included in a pack, and mii fighter selling point are the costumes anyways.
Want it so bad. Agree on the logic as well.

blackghost

Smash Champion
to change the conversation a little bit the two characters i can see getting in but being seen as total out of left field picks would be a blizzard character more likely League of Legends than overwatch. with ahri taking the slot. for people unfamiliar: she essentilly the mascot of league of legends.

1607803674230.png

the other possibility is tracer but mechanically i can't see how you get tracer to work in smash. she has the same issue i had with astral chain characters.
i really doubt characters that are regional exclusive are getting in as smash DLC. just isnt something Nintendo higher-ups would be on board with.
Well, like I just said, we literally just got another FF7 character over Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts, Nier Automata, The World Ends with You, or even other Final Fantasy games, etc., and plenty of people were still hyped for Sephiroth because even if he didn't add a "new universe" to Smash, the character himself was a big deal in the gaming sphere. Same goes for Chun-Li. Like Sephiroth, she's one of the few characters that's more than big enough to be a big deal by herself without adding a new universe to Smash.

Smash is literally the only major crossover to feature Ryu as playable but not Chun-Li, let alone Ken. She's pretty much always the #2 for Street Fighter representation. Maybe you feel that those two are enough, but for a lot of people, SF representation feels incomplete without her.
not to mention chun-li is almost always an incredibly fun character in games outside SF where ryu and ken both normally really struggle.
Nah we got ryu and ken lol. Biggest cultural impact and icon status is subjective as all get out.
no cultural impact is not subjective. icon status is more debatable for newer characters but its not for the older characters. Chun-Li is an icon. people know her as thunder thighs, first lady of fighting games. her hairstyle and outfit are without a doubt iconic. the only female character that is easily bigger than her is Lara.

for example i have a spellcheck program on my computer. it autocorrects "sephiroth", "Chun-li", and Ryu. it doesn't for remui, tohou, or shantae.

cloud is accurate in remake to his orginal personality. Aerith and tifa are way more changed than cloud is. cloud is a cluess, anti-social, and somewhat of a dork. Aerith personality was not this sarcastic in the original.

Lara is likely out due to SE already being tough to work with and sephiroth was lilely (according to Maximillian) held hostage as dlc to have cloud return in the base game. not to mention the sephiroth trailer cost millions to make. not just for the animation but to have cloud appear in CGI alone is expensive.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If they were gonna add a new Mii class (which would be cool as hell) the base game was the time to do it. A new Mii class being part of a game update (DLC fighters are in the update data, they're just unlocked by dummy DLC titles. That way you can use them online with those that don't have the DLC) seems like headache development-wise.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
to change the conversation a little bit the two characters i can see getting in but being seen as total out of left field picks would be a blizzard character more likely League of Legends than overwatch. with ahri taking the slot. for people unfamiliar: she essentilly the mascot of league of legends.

View attachment 295289

the other possibility is tracer but mechanically i can't see how you get tracer to work in smash. she has the same issue i had with astral chain characters.
i really doubt characters that are regional exclusive are getting in as smash DLC. just isnt something Nintendo higher-ups would be on board with.

not to mention chun-li is almost always an incredibly fun character in games outside SF where ryu and ken both normally really struggle.

no cultural impact is not subjective. icon status is more debatable for newer characters but its not for the older characters. Chun-Li is an icon. people know her as thunder thighs, first lady of fighting games. her hairstyle and outfit are without a doubt iconic. the only female character that is easily bigger than her is Lara.

for example i have a spellcheck program on my computer. it autocorrects "sephiroth", "Chun-li", and Ryu. it doesn't for remui, tohou, or shantae.

cloud is accurate in remake to his orginal personality. Aerith and tifa are way more changed than cloud is. cloud is a cluess, anti-social, and somewhat of a dork. Aerith personality was not this sarcastic in the original.

Lara is likely out due to SE already being tough to work with and sephiroth was lilely (according to Maximillian) held hostage as dlc to have cloud return in the base game. not to mention the sephiroth trailer cost millions to make. not just for the animation but to have cloud appear in CGI alone is expensive.
coincidentally, there is a League character rumor that came at the start of this year that said "no named characters atm but I'm betting Ahri" and predicted a couple of killswitches that turned out to be true so far: the Trials of Mana spirits, and two League-based games coming to consoles. One being a console/mobile version called Wild Rift; the other a turn based RPG called Ruined King. all that's left is a Hollow Knight PreMiium swordfighter it's predicting with a remix of Sealed Vessel. If we get that, the leak may well be true. May.

edit there’s a third LoL spinoff; CONV/RGENCE starring Ekko but that was announced in 2019 and we don’t know much about it right now

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

View attachment 295289
League is Owned by Riot Games (who are owned by Tencent), Not Blizzard/Activision

cashregister9

Smash Hero
One Piece spoilers: (for the chapters in the mid-to-late 300s - it's old news by now, but it was a pretty big plot twist at the time)

Rob Lucci

I have been waiting way too long to use this.

In all seriousness, I have no idea. My guess would be either Crash Bandicoot or Ryu Hayabusa, but I'm not sure if there's a general consensus.
More One Piece Spoilers around that time but a few chapters later.

He Does fulfill the "Cereal Box Mascot" Quota :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom