• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I feel like them subverting the World of Light intro in this trailer has to be a setup later on for them to destroy Dharkon in a similar way in another trailer? Right?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My guess is he's going to be balanced out with linear aerials and being bad on block, because I can't see him being that bad at taking stocks and I don't see how else they would balance him.
Actually sword attacks tend to be very good on block with proper spacing - their range makes them hard to punish. Instead I expect him to have slow start up, meaning he'll easily be boxed out in close range. He's also likely to have poor mobility.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually sword attacks tend to be very good on block with proper spacing - their range makes them hard to punish. Instead I expect him to have slow start up, meaning he'll easily be boxed out in close range. He's also likely to have poor mobility.
I just found this comment on YouTube:
I'm crazy waiting to see Sephiroth's Nair. If he spins the sword it's game over.

DoomerRJ

Smash Rookie
I remember Doomguy was already deconfirmed before all of this.
Yeah, there was that interview a while back, but imo, I don’t think it outright decomfirms his chances. May just be my wishful thinking, but I’m still holding out hope until every fighter is revealed LOL.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
This reveal has got me thinking on what we really need in smash.

DEFA47A4-61E4-4794-8004-EE52292D5C4A.jpeg
Just kidding of course. What I actually feel is that I am fine with Sephiroth because I already got one of my most wanted in (steve) I would have rather it been someone else but this is fine. So now for my wants for the final 3 are crazy Dave, geno, waluigi.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just got done rewatching Sephiroth's trailer on a loop (and other trailers because we got some great ones, but mainly Sephiroth). It's unbelievable. One of the most iconic villains ever and he's in Smash. One-Winged Angel is in Smash. Imagine the matchups! I really needed a hype character to get me excited about Smash again and this more than delivered holy crap.

Now my only hope is that I never have to hear nonsense about characters from represented franchises, or needing enough content to fill a pass, or "new worlds". It's time to get creative and actually consider every possibility instead of defaulting to the same old.

(Actually I have another hope and it's that Geno's costume is upgraded to deluxe and come with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms)

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
I will admit, I wasn't expecting to be hyped at all.

I was tired that night. Didn't expect to see my usual wanted characters, so if just head to bed and find out tomorrow. Whatever.

Brother woke me up, why would you do that? He tells me it's Sephiroth. Still thinking I was having one of those cruel dreams of smash I watched the trailer.

Music comes on. WOOOOOOO! 0 to 100 instantly. Jumped out of bed fully awake on 1 hour of sleep. Hurt myself but didn't care.
Someone from my 'never gonna be in but instant main' list? No way.

And that's what it's like to chew 5 gum.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
one curious thing is that square-enix stuff they put on ultimate as dlc were from “new” games that got released on switch (dragon quest xi s, trials of mana and octopath traveller). I totally expect a TWEWY spirit event next year.

We know that Sephiroth is the exception of this as FFVII Remake (biggest S-E 2020 game) will not be released on Switch, unless ... (the game looks great on PS4 but i don’t think that is impossible to port it to switch).

Mfw i see Galeem getting cut in half and i'm hyping myself irresponsibly for Hayabusa (only for like 2 seconds) and i hear the first notes of One Winged Angel...

Jokes aside, ****ing SEPHIROTH!!! In other words, great pick, another gaming legend/icon in Smash i'm really glad he's in. Can't wait for next thursday to see his full moveset as well as the usual Sakurai fanboying and flexing on cpus. :wario:

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Just a reminder that the community consensus on Smash reveals is almost always wrong.

Just to look at our track record based mainly on the DLC:
-Nobody saw Joker coming
-Hero was mainly expected because of an in-game data leak
-Banjo was leaked right before the reveal and even then most people didn't seem to really believe it
-Terry wasn't expected until the SNK leak
-Most people were expecting another 3rd party when we got Byleth
-Most people had written off ARMS
-Steve was mostly out of people's minds when he was finally revealed

So yeah, without a smoking gun for evidence I'd say expect the unexpected, unless no one expects the expected.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, there was that interview a while back, but imo, I don’t think it outright decomfirms his chances. May just be my wishful thinking, but I’m still holding out hope until every fighter is revealed LOL.
I got one question and I don’t feel like going trying to dig for it in the previous pages. Why excactly is Doomguy disconfirmed from this?

Shroob

Sup?
Just a reminder that the community consensus on Smash reveals is almost always wrong.

Just to look at our track record based mainly on the DLC:
-Nobody saw Joker coming
-Hero was mainly expected because of an in-game data leak
-Banjo was leaked right before the reveal and even then most people didn't seem to really believe it
-Terry wasn't expected until the SNK leak
-Most people were expecting another 3rd party when we got Byleth
-Most people had written off ARMS
-Steve was mostly out of people's minds when he was finally revealed

So yeah, without a smoking gun for evidence I'd say expect the unexpected, unless no one expects the expected.
I will drill Monster Hunter in March into all y'alls heads and none of y'all can stop me. :secretkpop:

I guess I was thinking in the sense that if someone blocked effectively they would be able to close the distance because he wouldn't necessarily have good enough pressure to lock people out (which, come to think of it, would come with slower frame data, so I was in the wrong mindset anyway). That and low shield damage, so he wouldn't be breaking shields by poking at you.

I think after watching an analysis video that I was underestimating how long his startup frames were, so I was trying to think of a way a character could have good range and frame data and decent power.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just wanna vent a bit.

I'm as desperate as ever for Dante, you know me and all...
but the fact that Sephiroth shows that Nintendo are more than willing to double dip on 3rd party franchises with unique characters makes me painfully aware that Monster Hunter's chances have SKYROCKETED through the roof and now I believe they are far more likely a candidate than Dante ever has been (or will be).

As for Sega... There's no way in God's green Earth that they'll pick a nobody franchise like Shin Megami Tensei when they have the option of a megahit sonic character like Eggman, Shadow, or Tails. Hell, even within Atlus itself Persona eclipses SMT to the point I think it's very likely that they'd pick Yu Narukami over anyone else in their gallery.

In short, the hope I got for my most 2 wanteds has evaporated completely after this.
dmc3 dante stabbed.jpg
Anyway, those are just my non-Sephiroth related thoughts after his reveal. At least he looks really cool.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
but the fact that Sephiroth shows that Nintendo are more than willing to double dip on 3rd party franchises with unique characters makes me painfully aware that Monster Hunter's chances have SKYROCKETED through the roof and now I believe they are far more likely a candidate than Dante ever has been (or will be).
My exact thoughts except with Phoenix Wright.

Shroob

Sup?
So let's do some maths.

March 26th: Direct Mini, ARMs confirmed

June 29th: Min Min release date

October 13th: Steve release date

December 17th: Presumably Sephiroth release date, could change if not a day-of release

Between the mini Direct and Min Min's unveiling, there were 93 days.

Between Min Min coming out and Steve coming out, there was a 106 day gap.

Between Steve coming out and presumably Sephiroth, there's a 65 day gap.

I assume Min Min and Steve took long-ish to come out due to the mentioned development troubles(Min Min's arms/COVID moving to a work from home setting), and Steve's stage gimmick,

Honest to god, March is a very, very likely, if not extremely likely spot for CP9 to drop. If Sephiroth drops on December 17th, and we hit March 1st, that'll be 74 days, which is well within the average release schedule... I'm kinda feeling something early in March, hell, I'd bet money on it.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth’s reveal was fantastic, me and my friends were losing our minds over what was happening and I’m just happy finally getting a character I wanted after all this time.
Now I’m hoping for The Price of Freedom as a track and a Zack Fair Mii costume (pretty plz?)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So let's do some maths.

March 26th: Direct Mini, ARMs confirmed

June 29th: Min Min release date

October 13th: Steve release date

December 17th: Presumably Sephiroth release date, could change if not a day-of release

Between the mini Direct and Min Min's unveiling, there were 93 days.

Between Min Min coming out and Steve coming out, there was a 106 day gap.

Between Steve coming out and presumably Sephiroth, there's a 65 day gap.

I assume Min Min and Steve took long-ish to come out due to the mentioned development troubles(Min Min's arms/COVID moving to a work from home setting), and Steve's stage gimmick,

Honest to god, March is a very, very likely, if not extremely likely spot for CP9 to drop. If Sephiroth drops on December 17th, and we hit March 1st, that'll be 74 days, which is well within the average release schedule... I'm kinda feeling something early in March, hell, I'd bet money on it.
The fighter will be revealed on March 31st and will finally take Mario's life that Steve and Sephiroth failed to do.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Now that we're officially in the second half of the pass, I think the odds are a lot higher for us to see a few more "Min Min characters". Basically, characters that likely won't cause the internet to explode (and I mean that in a good way. Not like Byleth did).

The next bundle is arguably the best time to reveal one of those characters, especially since it's wedged in-between TGAs and E3. Not much is going on around that time.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Now that we're officially in the second half of the pass, I think the odds are a lot higher for us to see a few more "Min Min characters". Basically, characters that likely won't cause the internet to explode (and I mean that in a good way. Not like Byleth did).

The next bundle is arguably the best time to reveal one of those characters, especially since it's wedged in-between TGAs and E3. Not much is going on around that time.
Except for RISE :secretkpop:

Okay yeah I'll stop, I can't keep that up for 2 and a half months lol. I'm not even really a Monster Hunter fan lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom