• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Are there any other Games Nintendo has Published that are currently 3rd party, in the Case of Banjo and Bayonetta?
Maybe Wonderful 101? I forget what the whole deal with that game was. It was Nintendo exclusive but now it's not. I don;t know how much of hand Nintendo had in it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think part of the problem is that the assists in Brawl were, if not characters that didn't make the cut, characters that fit the criteria of assisting you. By the time they got to Ultimate, they somehow kept a lot of the dropped characters as assists and added new characters that could have been fighters. There's quite a few assists I question the validity of joining in a trophy format that's not even used in the character gallery. It's as if they ditched the niche aspect of assists and just went for recognizability. Adding new fighters as DLC on top of that didn't help, with promotions as scarce as they are.

By the way, I know what you mean, but Andross would be interesting as a fighter.
They still do that though? Not to mention this implies all Brawl ATs were at one point considered when Sakurai's outright said ATs were an idea he had since Melee, while giving the Duck Hunt birds as an example of an example.
I think it was a Nintendo IP, but now it is unknown if Platinum Games owns it now or not since they won't tell us.
Platinum had to ask Nintendo to approve it all so Nintendo owns it
A Falcom rep(Estelle/Rean/Adol) has been brought up several times over the past few months, but I'll throw that out there anyways since I'd love to see it happen and I do think most people would be caught off guard by one of them getting in. Falcom has been porting their Ys and Trails games to the Switch over the past couple of years now, so I think it is possible.

Next, a Konami rep in the form of a Suikoden character would really shock people I think. While I don't know if I would consider it highly likely(I mean, there are only like... two Suikoden games on Nintendo consoles, and they are both spinoffs from years ago), but I do think it has a tiny chance of happening because Konami already has characters in Smash, so getting more wouldn't be too surprising. Also, the success of Eiyuden Chronicle's kickstarter proves that there is still interest in Suikoden, so if it did happen I think it would be received well enough by a decent number of people. But if I'm being perfectly honest, they would most likely choose a different Konami series if they chose one at all for the second fighters pass.

Last but not least... a Game Arts rep. Game Arts helped develop Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and GungHo ported the Grandia HD Collection to the Switch. Grandia was originally developed by Game Arts, hence why it is possible for Game Arts to have a rep from the Grandia series get into Smash. While I would prefer a Lunar rep, I still think it would be cool to get a Grandia rep. Unfortunately, Lunar only had two games(to my knowledge anyways) on Nintendo consoles, with one being a dumbed down port of the first game to the Game Boy Advance, and the other being one of the worst RPGs ever made(Lunar Dragon Song) on the DS. So Grandia would be the only realistic possibility here. I actually do think Game Arts has a decent chance of getting a character though because of their past involvement with Brawl.
Ayyyyy Ys gang! Started Oath of Felghana today and a friend said he was buying Chronicles on the PSP today. I will always insist Adol's a darkhorse candidate

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They still do that though? Not to mention this implies all Brawl ATs were at one point considered when Sakurai's outright said ATs were an idea he had since Melee, while giving the Duck Hunt birds as an example of an example.
Well...While it doesn't quite follow that having the idea in Melee debunks the thought process behind them, you can't seriously tell me that Helirin was considered for playable status.

1603483907022.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah, overlooked or unexpected is the word I was probably trying to look for.

In that case, what overlooked or unexpected character do you guys think could make it in?
  • Any Bandai Namco character. Even KOS-MOS.
  • Arle (would she count?)
  • Neku (probably has the least amount of hurdles of the remaining viable Square contenders)
  • Elma. I don’t think I need to say anything here
  • Octoling, will say the Splatoon 2 promotion push this year, after final fest no less, is kinda sus
  • League of Legends character, that franchise is also a juggernaut like Minecraft, even helped establish the eSports scene as we know it
  • Viewtiful Joe (“Ma-kun... any word on Joe?” “Ummmm...”)

7NATOR

Smash Master
  • Any Bandai Namco character. Even KOS-MOS.
  • Arle (would she count?)
  • Neku (probably has the least amount of hurdles of the remaining viable Square contenders)
  • Elma. I don’t think I need to say anything here
  • Octoling, will say the Splatoon 2 promotion push this year, after final fest no less, is kinda sus
  • League of Legends character, that franchise is also a juggernaut like Minecraft, even helped establish the eSports scene as we know it
  • Viewtiful Joe (“Ma-kun... any word on Joe?” “Ummmm...”)
Even Lloyd?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even Lloyd?
I guess, though I’m banking on Lloyd’s costume to return. Doesn’t mean we can’t get a different Tales character like Yuri, Velvet (with some “modifications”), Alphen or Shionne

... my boi Luke fon Fabre get no respect tho. Best character development I’ve seen in the tales series by far

SKX31

Smash Master
Any left-field characters you guys could see make it in?
Several actually:

* Prince of Persia: His series being a major progenitor of acrobatics helps when a lot of series have followed (including Mario's more acrobatic jumps). However, the usual "Ubisoft's been close to Nintendo for 6+ years" issue rears its head here too.

* Ni No Kuni's Oliver: Almost never talked about in the West, but has an established decade-long presence. His chances will depend on if Level-5 gets somewhere with any potential talks, and which character Sakurai / Furukawa / Level-5 prefer.

* Story of Seasons' Farmer: Long-running, very influential series, although it's difficult to say if and when Marvelous will get a foot in the door. But its been close to Nintendo, that's for sure.

Maybe Wonderful 101? I forget what the whole deal with that game was. It was Nintendo exclusive but now it's not. I don;t know how much of hand Nintendo had in it.
I think it was a Nintendo IP, but now it is unknown if Platinum Games owns it now or not since they won't tell us.
Nintendo originally co-owned Wonderful 101, the copyrights for the music in Smash and the Wii U box say as much.
I honestly do wonder if Wonderful 101's one of the reasons why Tencent bought a minority share in Platinum so Platinum could self-publish (although, it's certainly possible that Platinum and Tencent looked at a completely different future title instead). Initially misread this piece of news as a loan, but turns out it was a share.

Inaba did talk about why Platinum went for the Kickstarter here - he aknowledged that people would ask why Platinum would need the Kickstarter, and adressed that.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Adol is someone I can see getting in as a dark horse pick what with Falcom's long gaming history and Switch support. Besides him I'd say Estelle and Rean are also strong candidates, but between these three I'm not sure who will actually get in as the Falcom rep. My gut says it'll be Adol since he's the oldest of the three and he is still the protagonist of Ys going over three decades strong while Estelle and Rean gave up their protagonist roles in the Trails series after a set number of entries.

... my boi Luke fon Fabre get no respect tho. Best character development I’ve seen in the tales series by far
I'd really like Tales of the Abyss to get a remake. It's a neat game that could use a few touch-ups.

Luke's pretty great (Tear or Asch is probably my favorite, though). Plus, he's got a move that's an exploding gut punch. Can't say no to that.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Not sure what you mean by that.

It's also not entirely correct to say that Steve's inclusion really changed many minds on that, as most of them still think he's too janky and wasn't a good fit.
Well, I guess what I was trying to say is that there really isn't anything to discredit the chances of someone like Amaterasu joining Smash.
I brought up Steve because he's still in Smash despite what people thought would work against his chances. At most, it took a lot more work to implement Steve because he's a fighter like no other, but it was still possible.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A Falcom rep(Estelle/Rean/Adol) has been brought up several times over the past few months, but I'll throw that out there anyways since I'd love to see it happen and I do think most people would be caught off guard by one of them getting in. Falcom has been porting their Ys and Trails games to the Switch over the past couple of years now, so I think it is possible.
Ayyyyy Ys gang! Started Oath of Felghana today and a friend said he was buying Chronicles on the PSP today. I will always insist Adol's a darkhorse candidate
You called?

Adol's giving me some Terry vibes. Falcom made Dragon Slayer, the first ever ARPG (And is actually older than %$#@ing Dragon Quest by a good two years), with Ys being one of, if not the longest running ARPGs (Heck, it's only a year younger than Dragon Quest). That being said, for whatever reason it still remains fairly niche. The whole things seems rather Fatal Fury/King of Fighters-esque, and I'd be surprised if Falcom doesn't receive at least some form of representation. I'm actually planning a writeup for this guy, so I'll have to save the details for later.

Oh yeah, and apparently Ys I alone has released on at least ten platforms. Probably more, but even then that's a lot of consoles.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Some low key fighters:

• Someone from Falcom or NIS (small japanese developers)
  • Wonder Red
  • Someone from Level-5 (they had financial troubles that they will shutdown their overseas offices I think)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You called?

Adol's giving me some Terry vibes. Falcom made Dragon Slayer, the first ever ARPG (And is actually older than %$#@ing Dragon Quest by a good two years), with Ys being one of, if not the longest running ARPGs (Heck, it's only a year younger than Dragon Quest). That being said, for whatever reason it still remains fairly niche. The whole things seems rather Fatal Fury/King of Fighters-esque, and I'd be surprised if Falcom doesn't receive at least some form of representation. I'm actually planning a writeup for this guy, so I'll have to save the details for later.

Oh yeah, and apparently Ys I alone has released on at least ten platforms. Probably more, but even then that's a lot of consoles.
Yeah Falcom fits the same "dark horse" category that SNK filled in the previous fighters pass. It has important gaming history, the company is still alive making games, there has been Switch support from the company, and the company itself owns all it's soundtrack so getting the music will be super easy lol. The only downside is that just like SNK, Falcom isn't that well known to those who aren't deep into RPGs. Since there are some suites at Nintendo who decided to add Terry in Smash part of me wonders if they'll do the same for Falcom.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What overlooked or unexpected character do you guys think could make it in?
- Arle, even though I'm a little biased I don't think Puyo gets the credit it deserves within the Smash community. It has a massive legacy as a foundational title in its genre, it's a distant - very distant mind you, behind Sonic - second place for Sega, strong history with Nintendo (has been on nearly every single console), Puyo 2 was up there with Street Fighter 2 as one of the most popular arcade games in Japan. It's still going strong (stronger than ever, now that it's getting consistent worldwide releases) and has a great presence on Switch with not only Puyo Tetris 1&2 but Puyo Puyo 1&2 through the Sega AGES collection and Puyo 2 on NSO. If Puyo wasn't a puzzle game, there is no doubt Arle would be a much more frequent topic.

- An Arc System Works character. I think I've mentioned it here before, but with only a random spirit event to show for itself I think more ArcSys content seems like a possibility down the line. Many of its legacy titles are available on the eshop and the company has been a strong supporter of the Switch with Cross Tag and DBFZ ported over (would it be safe to say it has the strongest fighting game output on the console?). But let's briefly get into the nitty gritty of who that could be.

First one is Sol Badguy, as Guilty Gear is pretty much ArcSys' leading fighting game franchise and two classic Guilty Gear games are available on the eshop to point new players toward. But perhaps a more Nintendo pick would be Billy & Jimmy Lee, the stars of the genre defining Double Dragon series. Pretty weird that we don't have any beat 'em up characters yet right? Feel like that would work perfectly in Smash. Only hesitation on both of these guys are potential overlap with Terry, but I'm certain they would find ways to differentiate them. I mean, certainly Sol's hulking sword would do the trick.

- Chosen Undead or Solaire from Dark Souls. I see it pop up here and there, but Dark Souls so often gets drowned out by the likes of Lloyd and previously Heihachi that I believe it's worth a mention. Dark Souls is one of the most influential series of the last decade of gaming, and I feel as if the Smash community often glosses over more modern successes like that in favor of nostalgic legacy picks. And there's nothing wrong with those for the record, just that I think it's just as important to keep in mind what's important in today's gaming climate. A massively successful series, it's got a presence on Switch and it would certainly stand out among the rest of the cast - Dark Souls would be a great pick. I don't really think we're getting a Namco character personally, but I wish that I heard a little more discussion about these guys outside of a passing mention.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally if we got someone from Falcom, I rather Rean or Estelle Get in over Adol, Except if Adol came with that Demon arm thing he has in the New Game

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

In that case, what overlooked or unexpected character do you guys think could make it in?
Aside from what was already mentionned by other users, I think Donchan from Taiko no Tatsujin is a real possibility. The franchise have a game on the switch which sold a solid 1 million copies and have a upcoming release this year. The franchise have in total 10 million console sales. That is a lot for a franchise that is mainly know in Japan and it's also very popular in arcade. Donchan is already used to crossover, being playable in the Mario kart arcade. It also did many crossover with other franchise such as Monster hunter, YS and Yokai watch. It's probably less popular than Tales of (and I'm saying "probably" because it's hard to gather how popular exactly it is in the Arcade in Japan), but I still think it has a decent shot. Also it seems that Sakurai have now more time to do fun character gimmick, so maybe now would be the time to try a Rhythm focused character.

- Arle, even though I'm a little biased I don't think Puyo gets the credit it deserves within the Smash community. It has a massive legacy as a foundational title in its genre, it's a distant second place for Sega behind Sonic, strong history with Nintendo (has been on nearly every single console), Puyo 2 was up there with Street Fighter 2 as one of the most popular arcade games in Japan. It's still going strong (stronger than ever, now that it's getting consistent worldwide releases) and has a great presence on Switch with not only Puyo Tetris 1&2 but Puyo Puyo 1&2 on the Sega AGES collection and Puyo 2 on NSO. If Puyo wasn't a puzzle game, there is no doubt Arle would be a much more frequent topic.

- An Arc System Works character. I think I've mentioned it here before, but with only a random spirit event to show for itself I think more ArcSys content seems like a possibility down the line. Many of its legacy titles are available on the eshop and the company has been a strong supporter of the Switch with Cross Tag and DBFZ ported over (would it be safe to say it has the strongest fighting game output on the console?). But let's briefly get into the nitty gritty of who that could be.

First one is Sol Badguy, as Guilty Gear is pretty much ArcSys' leading fighting game franchise and two classic Guilty Gear games are available on the eshop to point new players toward. But perhaps a more Nintendo pick would be Billy & Jimmy Lee, the stars of the genre defining Double Dragon series. Pretty weird that we don't have any beat 'em up characters yet right? Feel lke that would work perfectly in Smash. Only hesitation on both of these guys are potential overlap with Terry, but I'm certain they would find ways to differentiate them. I mean, certainly Sol's hulking sword would do the trick.

- Chosen Undead or Solaire from Dark Souls. I see it pop up here and there, but Dark Souls so often gets drowned out by the likes of Lloyd and previously Heihachi that I believe it's worth a mention. Dark Souls is one of the most influential series of the last decade of gaming, and I feel as if the Smash community often glosses over more modern successes like that in favor of nostalgic legacy picks. And there's nothing wrong with those for the record, just that I think it's just as important to keep in mind what's important in today's gaming climate. A massively successful series, it's got a presence on Switch and it would certainly stand out among the rest of the cast - Dark Souls would be a great pick. I don't really think we're getting a Namco character personally, but I wish that I heard a little more discussion about these guys outside of a passing mention.
I think these are all worth discussing, even if they aren't characters everyone thinks are likely.

Dark Souls in particular I think gets passed over for two reasons. Its history is mainly on Playstation, with only the first game coming to Switch with the rerelease. Not necessarily the biggest deal, but it's a thing to think about. The other thing is that Dark Souls combat is slow and grounded (in the gravitational sense, not that it's super realistic all the time). In a game like Ultimate, where everything is fast and jumping is plentiful, it could be hard to make Dark Souls feel both interesting and faithful. I think it can be done, but it is conceptually puzzling. Personally, I'd like to see the character buckle down on defensive techniques. Give them Link's shield mechanic, but mapped to a button which allows them to walk around while still blocking certain things. Maybe they would get a unique riposte attack after a parry.

With Arcsys, Guilty Gear makes sense on a company representation level (it's basically their flagship series), but one thing to think about is that Blazblue might be more known outside the fighting game sphere, especially after BBTag. It is funny how much overlap Sol and Terry have, but I felt the same way about Terry and the Shotos, so I'm going to reserve judgment there. I'm personally a little iffy on another fighting game character in this pass, but we'll see.

I don't know much about beat'em'ups, but I think it would be cool to see one make the cut. Same with Puyo Puyo. I know it's big, so it would make sense to get some sort of representation.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I feel like, by way of Bandai Namco, the series in the lead for contention at this point are Tales, Dark Souls, Soulcalibur, or Xenosaga. That said, I wouldn't rule out something quirkier like Taiko or Katamari getting a spot either.

At a minimum, I feel like there's some good Mii costume or spirit fodder there even if they don't go for a full playable character.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like, by way of Bandai Namco, the series in the lead for contention at this point are Tales, Dark Souls, Soulcalibur, or Xenosaga. That said, I wouldn't rule out something quirkier like Taiko or Katamari getting a spot either.

At a minimum, I feel like there's some good Mii costume or spirit fodder there even if they don't go for a full playable character.
I'm not sure on Xenosaga. KOS-MOS is pretty popular, but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who knowns of her home series, especially outside the Xenoblade fandom. I've said multiple times before that KOS-MOS is a bit of a Morrigan situation; The character is popular, but the game is all but forgotten.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
In the latest financial Namco-Bandai report, Dark Souls is their second best selling franchise, behind Tekken, with only 3 entries (not counting Demon Souls as is Sony’s IP), with 25 millions sold. It surprasses Tales of (that has lots of games since 1995), that sold 23 millions copies.

It can be a curious character Chosen Undead (with a Solaire or other knights alt), maybe Sakurai can implement the parry technique (similar to Marth counter), an stamina bar, etus frasks, pyromancer spells, crossbows or bows, etc.

Although a mii costume can also fit well.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I see where you're coming from but I really don't think Xenosaga have more chance than Taiko (I kind of agree with the others tho). Xenosaga is a cult classic, but it sold very poorly and I don't see why they would go with that before Tales of. Even Harada said that they were thinking about remastering Xenosaga but that they didn't think it would be worth it and that "This plan will be difficult to resurface..."

On the topic of Katamari, I doubt it would be seriously consider. It was a cult classic, but recent release never got the success of the original one.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I think there are a few Capcom characters not from Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, or Ace Attorney that might have a better chance than most realize. Amaterasu gets occasional attention here but given the potential curveball factor I don't think an Arthur from Ghosts N' Goblins, Spencer from Bionic Commando, or even someone from Onimusha can be entirely ruled out.

KillerCage

Smash Master

First one is Sol Badguy, as Guilty Gear is pretty much ArcSys' leading fighting game franchise and two classic Guilty Gear games are available on the eshop to point new players toward. But perhaps a more Nintendo pick would be Billy & Jimmy Lee, the stars of the genre defining Double Dragon series. Pretty weird that we don't have any beat 'em up characters yet right? Feel lke that would work perfectly in Smash. Only hesitation on both of these guys are potential overlap with Terry, but I'm certain they would find ways to differentiate them. I mean, certainly Sol's hulking sword would do the trick.
I think you are overlooking Blazblue here.
I think the causal audience are more familiar with Blazblue than with Guilty Gear.
The former alongside Street Fighter 4 revived interest in 2-D fighting games during the 7th generation (PS3 and 360).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom