• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Doesn't Steve appeal to the Female Audience anyway. Being the Best Selling Game on Earth, It must have alot of Female Players, more than probably any game represented through DLC...
I can argue Steve is one of those very rare characters who appeals to quite literally everyone. Kids? Check. Adults? Check. Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox, and PC owners? Check times four. West? Check. Japanese? Check.

And I think Steve is the only character in Ultimate so far who does fill that role. Everyone else that is DLC caters to specific niches.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Based on how they have treated indies up to this point I find it highly unlikely we get one as playable. While I know Reimu has had a recent upsurge in notability, I would just remind folks that she is still relatively niche compared to a handful of characters, especially given her lack of notability outside of Japan- something that hurt Takamaru, could have hurt Fire Emblem and Lucas, and shut down Ayumi Tachibana if I remember correctly.
The major difference between Reimu and your examples is quite simple. Touhou already has worldwide recognition, be it because of Touhou's the face of bullet hell, the infamously U N OWEN WAS HER track becoming a huge part of internet culture worldwide, the franchise regularly getting referenced in pop culture unlike your examples and most importantly, the fact I can waltz into the local gaming store and grab multiple different Touhou games off of the shelves. Takamaru wasn't Japan exclusive, but he had very little claims to fame outside of Japan, I genuinely think Reimu's got enough worldwide fame to bypass this potential issue

7NATOR

Smash Master
Now this makes me bring a question.

Is there any developer in the world that doesn't want their character(s) in Smash?

Every single time someone ask this question, it feels like the answer is already answered before it's even brought up.
While I've never seen any Company come out and say they don't want to be in Smash...

I can Imagine Rockstar probably either doesn't care, or doesn't want to be Associated with Smash. It's also not like they need to be in Smash anyway

Sony I could also see due to be Nintendo's Rival. they did go to that Smash tournament in the Spa though, but I Imagine they might want to try their hand at PSASBR2 before letting their Characters on any Console other than theirs

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The games are slowly being ported over on Steam. You still need to apply fan patches on them but it is still a big step up compared to some other reps already in the game. Cough Lucas Cough.
Not a comparison though.

When Lucas was beign added to Brawl, Sakurai didn't even knew Mother 3 was Japan Exclusive, and wouldn't have added him had he known otherwise

and blah blah Marth and Roy were supposed to be Cut blah blah we knew this already, and as soon as FE7 was released they made efforts to localize all following entires, Lucas and Roy so far are the only Smash Characters in the roster whose games haven't been localized, and they will likely remain as the only ones in the distant future (until Roy's game gets remade ala Gaiden).

The thing is, Smash back then is different from what it is now, it seems Sakurai is far more focused on making Smash appealing Worlwide, adding characters that appeal to western sensibilities like Lil' Mac and Ridley or even characters MADE foreigners like Dark Samus, King K.Rool, Banjo & Kazooie and Steve makes me see Reimu as a very unlikely choice, because she represent something that Nintendo or Sakurai are no longer interesed in, using a character that really is only visible to Japanese audiences and niche western fans of Japanese media that is obscure worldwide and relies on underground fan products to keep itself afloat.

Can we get a fighter who appeals to Japanese tastes? Absolutely, but it likely will be someone who has at least some presence worldwide, NOT popularity, presence, as in "you don't need to translate the game yourself in order to play the game in your native language" presence, like Bandanna Dee or Sora (assuming Disney doesn't go into a fit) or Rex and so on.

Because Nintendo isn’t going to endorse fan translated english patches when they’re too busy taking down all the ROMS, patches and fangames of their own franchises.
This is another thing that bothers me.

When it comes to a spiritual anthetesis, Touhou and Nintendo don't seem to get along in general. Touhou relies on Fan Stuff, Doujin to be exact to recieve content, instead of "official" licensed stuff. Nintendo HATES anything fan-related to comes across them, and will destroy it at any cost, with only some glaring exceptions (Smash Flash 2, Mother 3 Fan Translation,) but those are the exceptions to the norm.

We have to remember that while Sakurai is the one making the characters, Nintendo also comes into play, beign the ones who requested Steve, and i don't see someone like Reimu crossing Nintendo's mind at all

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not a comparison though.

When Lucas was beign added to Brawl, Sakurai didn't even knew Mother 3 was Japan Exclusive, and wouldn't have added him had he known otherwise

and blah blah Marth and Roy were supposed to be Cut blah blah we knew this already, and as soon as FE7 was released they made efforts to localize all following entires, Lucas and Roy so far are the only Smash Characters in the roster whose games haven't been localized, and they will likely remain as the only ones in the distant future (until Roy's game gets remade ala Gaiden).

The thing is, Smash back then is different from what it is now, it seems Sakurai is far more focused on making Smash appealing Worlwide, adding characters that appeal to western sensibilities like Lil' Mac and Ridley or even characters MADE foreigners like Dark Samus, King K.Rool, Banjo & Kazooie and Steve makes me see Reimu as a very unlikely choice, because she represent something that Nintendo or Sakurai are no longer interesed in, using a character that really is only visible to Japanese audiences and niche western fans of Japanese media that is obscure worldwide and relies on underground fan products to keep itself afloat.

Can we get a fighter who appeals to Japanese tastes? Absolutely, but it likely will be someone who has at least some presence worldwide, NOT popularity, presence, as in "you don't need to translate the game yourself in order to play the game in your native language" presence, like Bandanna Dee or Sora (assuming Disney doesn't go into a fit) or Rex and so on.

This is another thing that bothers me.

When it comes to a spiritual anthetesis, Touhou and Nintendo don't seem to get along in general. Touhou relies on Fan Stuff, Doujin to be exact to recieve content, instead of "official" licensed stuff. Nintendo HATES anything fan-related to comes across them, and will destroy it at any cost, with only some glaring exceptions (Smash Flash 2, Mother 3 Fan Translation,) but those are the exceptions to the norm.

We have to remember that while Sakurai is the one making the characters, Nintendo also comes into play, beign the ones who requested Steve, and i don't see someone like Reimu crossing Nintendo's mind at all
I can literally buy a Touhou game on Switch just by going to my local game store and Nintendo's most recent Partner Direct featured a game that has Reimu and Kirby in the same screenshot. Nintendo's policies for fan creations are simply what's on the tin. Nintendo's policies for fan creactions, strictly their own. They don't care about anyone else's policies as they aren't the ones affected. Hell, Sega's infamously laxer policies lead to hiring creators of fan games, which what do you know, the fans who ended up working on the real thing got their content... In Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So just because, the Japan-only characters who were at least considered are:
  • Marth
  • Roy
  • Ayumi
  • Lucas
  • Takamaru
Out of them, Marth seems to be the only one who would've passed on his own. He was at least going to be Japan-exclusive, but playtesters convinced Sakurai to keep them in and inadvertently created one of the Western fanbase's biggest sources of strife. But that's for another day.

Roy and Lucas got lucky. Roy was an easy clone with an upcoming game, while Lucas was going to replace Ness in Melee and Sakurai wasn't informed that his game would be left unlocalized. Ayumi and Takamuru simply fell short.

What I think is important to consider is what those games are. Fire Emblem was a decently strong series in Japan back then, and Marth was a pretty popular request. Mother 3, on the other hand, was one game from a fairly niche series that was explicitly at it's end. Ayumi was in an even worse spot, being a relatively unknown series confined to the NES (Or Famicom, rather), in a game where the one character who fit that criteria was chosen for the sake of a token retro character. Takamaru was in the same boat, except by then the gap between Smash and the NES days were that much bigger.

I personally think that if a series is sufficiently big enough and make at least some attempts at reaching the West in recent years, they can overcome the barrier. At the very least, I'd imagine they'd be better off than Ayumi and Takamaru.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I always felt the excuse for Takamaru's exclusion was really shoddy. Aside from Marth/ Roy and Lucas having been added before, Murasame Castle was also localized via 3DS Virtual Console around that time and it would have been very easy to introduce the character and series to the western audience (many who were already passively aware of his existence from Nintendo Land). Sakurai should have just went for it.

On that note, I miss first party retro fighters. RIP Mach Rider.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I can see a lot of Japanese centric characters as base game inclusions for the purpose of introducing them to Western audiences because that's relatively safe to do. Yeah you'll have subset of fans complaining about wasted slots and such, but its an effective means if you wanted to get a big spotlight on the likes of an Ayumi.

DLC with someone like that is much riskier, as even beyond individual sales of a character, it feels like a lot of Nintendo's social media presence feeds on hype and interest from stuff like Smash character reveals. With big third party fighters and even a few notable first party ones that Western players are familiar with, its a much surer bet in both categories.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Hey Guys, So here's something interesting

These guys are from Crash Bandicoot. If this is not Intentional, it's a Pretty Wacky Coincendence

Credit to this topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/79046370
If this is indeed an out of the norm Sakurai hint toward the future...then it only makes sense as Crash. The fact that the clocks of these brand new characters have been in the exact position of the newly posted Sakurai pic is crazy.. Either he is being blatantly honest toward Crash being confirmed or deconfirmed. All the other references toward other games make zero sense in comparison. Crash 4 ITS ABOUT TIME?!!! just released this month...

That'll really suck if this pic leads to nothing, but if it does it would have to be Crash for obvious reasons regardless of how much I personally want him.

People saying that its ANY type of hint for stuff like Professor Layton...or Kingdom Hearts are REALLY hurting for a big fat NO...lol. I love Kingdom Hearts by the way. My favorite gaming franchise ever actually, but no... IF the clocks mean anything it is def not in regards to Kingdom Hearts...sorry. N.Tropy is the big winner if that is a hint my friends. Blah blah Tick Tock Clock..ya right..

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I always felt the excuse for Takamaru's exclusion was really shoddy. Aside from Marth/ Roy and Lucas having been added before, Murasame Castle was also localized via 3DS Virtual Console around that time and it would have been very easy to introduce the character and series to the western audience (many who were already passively aware of his existence from Nintendo Land). Sakurai should have just went for it.

'That time' was 2014, Smash 4's year of release. That doesn't mean Sakurai was aware of the localization plans back when he made Smash 4's project plan, not to mention a barely marketed release that from what I remember, wasn't even translated at all, may not have been deemed significant enough for reconsiderstion, after all, you very rarely heard people go "Hooray, Nintendo finally brought this over!", especially when compared to Earthbound Beginnings and Star Fox 2 getting official releases, and those two franchises are niche at best these days

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Look, I'm not saying the character popular enough to get a figure 17 years after her initial game bereft of any cross promotion unlike her other peers is in...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

But yeah, I'm thinking the Lyn... is In.
Can you imagine the ****strom if Lyn was the first (and let’s be real, only) Assist Trophy upgradable To playable character, before Waluigi

lmao

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If this is indeed an out of the norm Sakurai hint toward the future...then it only makes sense as this. The fact that the clocks of these characters are in the exact spot of the pic that Sakurai tweeted is crazy.. Either he is being blatantly honest toward Crash being confirmed or deconfirmed. All the other references toward other games make zero sense in comparison. Crash 4 ITS ABOUT TIME?!!! just released this month...

That'll really suck if this pic leads to nothing, but if it does it would have to be Crash for obvious reasons regardless of how much I personally want him.
This pic is definitely specific enough to raise an eyebrow given the exact positions of N. Tropy's clocks being replicated, but there have also been pics of the day that reference Puyo Puyo and Darkstalkers - two series that I personally really want to see in the game, but recognize it was probably just Sakurai being cheeky and making fun video game references. All this tells me at the moment is that Sakurai has been playing Crash 4... but I'm impressed by the attention to detail.

'That time' was 2014, Smash 4's year of release. That doesn't mean Sakurai was aware of the localization plans back when he made Smash 4's project plan, not to mention a barely marketed release that from what I remember, wasn't even translated at all, may not have been deemed significant enough for reconsiderstion, after all, you very rarely heard people go "Hooray, Nintendo finally brought this over!", especially when compared to Earthbound Beginnings and Star Fox 2 getting official releases, and those two franchises are niche at best these days
Well yeah sure, I'm speaking retrospectively. I just think Sakurai should have taken a chance on Takamaru if he really wanted to, and it would have paid off nicely with the release of Murasame Castle on the VC whether Sakurai was aware of it or not. After all, it's not very hard for the Smash community to come around on some of the more out-there character choices, so while I understand Sakurai's reservations about it I think that Takamaru would have become a beloved part of Smash history just like everyone else.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This pic is definitely specific enough to raise an eyebrow given the exact positions of N. Tropy's clocks being replicated, but there have also been pics of the day that reference Puyo Puyo and Darkstalkers - two series that I personally really want to see in the game, but recognize it was probably just Sakurai being cheeky and making fun video game references. All this tells me at the moment is that Sakurai has been playing Crash 4... but I'm impressed by the attention to detail.

Well yeah sure, I'm speaking retrospectively. I just think Sakurai should have taken a chance on Takamaru if he really wanted to, and it would have paid off nicely with the release of Murasame Castle on the VC whether Sakurai was aware of it or not. After all, it's not very hard for the Smash community to come around on some of the more out-there character choices, so while I understand Sakurai's reservations about it I think that Takamaru would have become a beloved part of Smash history just like everyone else.
That's true but it ignores how Sakurai wants characters with worldwide recognition. We have people who'd be genuinely saddened by potentially losing Piranha Plant in a future installment, so any and every character will be immortalized by Smash, sadly Takamaru's just far too obscure, I'm the only one amongst ny friends who recognized him and that's because I'm a total dweeb

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can you imagine the ****strom if Lyn was the first (and let’s be real, only) Assist Trophy upgradable To playable character, before Waluigi

lmao

If this is indeed an out of the norm Sakurai hint toward the future...then it only makes sense as Crash. The fact that the clocks of these brand new characters have been in the exact position of the newly posted Sakurai pic is crazy.. Either he is being blatantly honest toward Crash being confirmed or deconfirmed. All the other references toward other games make zero sense in comparison. Crash 4 ITS ABOUT TIME?!!! just released this month...

People saying that its ANY type of hint for stuff like Professor Layton...or Kingdom Hearts are REALLY hurting for a big fat NO...lol. I love Kingdom Hearts by the way. My favorite gaming franchise ever actually, but no... IF the clocks mean anything it is def not in regards to Kingdom Hearts...sorry. N.Tropy is the big winner if that is a hint my friends. Blah blah Tick Tock Clock..ya right..
I don't think pics of the day have anything to do with the upcoming DLC beyond ones that are already announced, like Steve.

SKX31

Smash Master
I can kind of argue that the region centric popularity isn't too big of an issue. Terry has an extremely huge following in Latin America and Dragon Quest, despite being extremely influential is much, much bigger in Japan than the West. Banjo is also more Western centric.

Touhou has been around since the late 90's, believe it or not and has survived due to a combination of longevity and ZUN basically allowing people to make actual fangames, some of which are released in the West and on the Switch no less. Touhou is basically the oldest indie series to my knowledge with Shantae being a close second.

I can see a character more popular in Japan than other regions getting in with a combination of it being much easier for communication for Sakurai and Nintendo due to how things are right now and it's good business to cater to different audiences for Smash. I don't know, I just don't see the "Japan centric"ness an issue here because if regional popularity is an issue, we wouldn't have certain characters and it'd limit the potential Newcomer choices.
I can see a lot of Japanese centric characters as base game inclusions for the purpose of introducing them to Western audiences because that's relatively safe to do. Yeah you'll have subset of fans complaining about wasted slots and such, but its an effective means if you wanted to get a big spotlight on the likes of an Ayumi.

DLC with someone like that is much riskier, as even beyond individual sales of a character, it feels like a lot of Nintendo's social media presence feeds on hype and interest from stuff like Smash character reveals. With big third party fighters and even a few notable first party ones that Western players are familiar with, its a much surer bet in both categories.

It'll be really interesting though to see what happens if Nintendo gains more global popularity (which I'll argue will eventually happen, but it'll take quite a lot of time). One thing that surprises a lot of people is that a lot of games popular in the major regions tend to also have decent-to-strong fanbases in the more "minor" regions, just as there are a lot of games that are heavily concentrated in one or a few regions. One good example is that Reimu has a decent-to-strong fanbase in China.

Thusly I can see a lot of the future speculation center around questions surrounding characters popular in certain regions and accusations of "Pandering" thrown every which way once more regions start to become "major" for Nintendo (not looking forward to that since it'd be the "for the Japanese / American crowd" argument on steroids).

Currently, "Other" regions account for only 10 % of the Switch's sales combined according to Nintendo's own data. Nintendo defines their major regions as JP, Americas (NA + LatAm) and EU (one can add AUS to EU since Australia also uses PAL and Nintendo has released their systems there, roughly timed with EU).

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai considered Takamaru or Ayumi for Smash 4 / Ultimate, but neither evidently have been high enough on the priority list to make it into base games as playable. While Sakurai does reserve a slot for a retro character, they've been slowly added throughout the years. Had it been two or so retro slots I honestly could see one of them in by now.

And I honestly doubt they're that high on the priority list when it comes to DLC. They could be in Smash 6's base game though, especially if the trend of a retro character continues.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So just because, the Japan-only characters who were at least considered are:
  • Marth
  • Roy
  • Ayumi
  • Lucas
  • Takamaru
Out of them, Marth seems to be the only one who would've passed on his own. He was at least going to be Japan-exclusive, but playtesters convinced Sakurai to keep them in and inadvertently created one of the Western fanbase's biggest sources of strife. But that's for another day.

Roy and Lucas got lucky. Roy was an easy clone with an upcoming game, while Lucas was going to replace Ness in Melee and Sakurai wasn't informed that his game would be left unlocalized. Ayumi and Takamuru simply fell short.

What I think is important to consider is what those games are. Fire Emblem was a decently strong series in Japan back then, and Marth was a pretty popular request. Mother 3, on the other hand, was one game from a fairly niche series that was explicitly at it's end. Ayumi was in an even worse spot, being a relatively unknown series confined to the NES (Or Famicom, rather), in a game where the one character who fit that criteria was chosen for the sake of a token retro character. Takamaru was in the same boat, except by then the gap between Smash and the NES days were that much bigger.

I personally think that if a series is sufficiently big enough and make at least some attempts at reaching the West in recent years, they can overcome the barrier. At the very least, I'd imagine they'd be better off than Ayumi and Takamaru.
You have to remember, those were chosen around Melee and Brawl's time. Stuff like localization probably wasn't as much of an issue then because Smash while mainstream wasn't the pop culture behemoth that it is now.

Im pretty sure Ayumi will never be considered for Smash again, especially with the current direction the series is heading. and neither i see that for Reimu if im honest. Same goes for "Retro" reps.

Speaking of:
Honestly, the one thing i miss the most out of Pre-Smash 4 speculation, Retro Reps. While the reasoning of Duck Hunt and Pit could be argued as they were chosen for other reasons, the idea of bringing an old school NES/SNES/GB era character back into the spotlight was great for me. Many characters that i ended up growing fond over showed up in that time. Prince of Sable, Balloon Figher, Lip (whose thread was how i discovered Smashboards) Takamaru, Mach Rider and so on.

But it's not surprising nobody talks about them anymore. The 3 main ones that seemed likely in my opinion, Duck Hunt, Balloon Figher and Takamaru got their fates sealed. Duck Hunt became playable and no one else came close to its iconic status except maybe Balloon Figher............who was forever cursed to be used as a Basis for Villager's recovery (and if Toad taught me anything, is that if you are used for someone else's movesets, you are never getting into Smash.............unless you are Richter) and Takamaru was the most talked Retro Rep back in the Smash 4 days, only to meet his fate as an AT.

One could think Takamaru could have gotten redeemed for Ultimate, taking the same path as Little Mac............but he was literally one of the first Assist Trophies shown in E3. I believe if it wasn't by "Everyone is Here" (which took a LOT of manpower away) Takamaru could have easily been as a playable character, especially because by the time Ult's development started, Taka had full worldwide presence, obscurity notwithstanding.

But after his discomfirmation, the idea of a Retro Rep basically died. Nobody talked that much about Lip, Excitebiker, and so on. The last time a Retro Rep was a big talking point was when Mach Rider was part of the infamous Grinch Leak, it was fake but it was good to dream while it lasted (there goes my Shadow and Mach Rider dual trailer idea)

If im honest we may not see the idea of a "Retro" rep ever again. Smash is focused so much on "gaming history" instead of beign Nintendo-centric as it was in the Smash Trilogy days, that idea of bringing old-school characters back into the spotlight will only get boo'd to death.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

lmao
Given what challenger packs have to be filled with and how Nintendo's reason for Corrin and Byleth wasn't "Hoes Mad", would they do it though? They could fill it up with Heroes content, but I'd think Nintendo would think that the FE content already in appeals to Heroes fans as well.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Hey Guys, So here's something interesting

These guys are from Crash Bandicoot. If this is not Intentional, it's a Pretty Wacky Coincendence

Credit to this topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/79046370
According to the exact same thread
  1. It apparently is not exactly the same as you are implying
  2. The characters clocks apparently moves in the game, and every render of them, more specifically the guy, is different
So this comes across as more as coincidence then a reference

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Give Mega Man X a secret QCF move for the Hadouken. And an actual SRK, that's more powerful than his usual Up-B and goes higher, but can only be done with said input. For more obvious references, SNES style sound effects for his charge shots and lemons. X4 style after-images when he dashes. Oh, and a voice too, since MMX and Zero talk fairly often, even in the SNES games.
While they're at it, they should give Mega Man one too since he's also very talkative when the technology allows it (or when he's not emulating the NES era, but even then he's given dialogue).

I swear, Smash fans constantly pretend Europe doesn't exist
What's a Europe? Is that where Japan is?

Banjo - appeals to the west
I think it would be more accurate to say that they appeal to Smash fans specifically, since Japan seemed to like them as well, and they're fairly pretty characters in every other context.

Is there any developer in the world that doesn't want their character(s) in Smash?
Monster Hunter's Devs, assumedly by some.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
They have been blowing up in popularity and went from this one series Westerners only saw from viral memes and someone with a Touhou avatar on Twitter or Youtube to something that is slowly becoming more appreciative, especially when you have games like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and Undertale referencing it, showing there are big name fans of the series. It's just a matter of whether Nintendo sees value in Touhou content in Smash right now or not. Reimu doesn't have the red tape certain characters like Sora and possibly Crash may have since Touhou is made by one beer loving person who basically admitted he'd love to see Touhou content into Smash.
League of Legends
Why, it looks like I have been summoned! :roll:

Fun fact of the day: Lux, one of League's "faces", is full of references to Marisa - in particular her Ultimate, Final Spark, which is a direct reference to Marisa's signature move. In particular, Sorceress Lux also seems to be a reference to this:

A user on Reddit compiled all Touhou references in League in a thread right here.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Im replaying Freedom Planet right now and it really saddens me that we will very likely never get any content from that game in Smash (Ultimate or otherwise).
I take a Mii-costume with the FP-Main Theme (this games music is soooo good). Heck, im 100% ok with spirits of Lilac and the gang, just give me something.

That game is so underrated it's a crime. :urg:
Can't wait for Freedom Planet 2

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
For the DMC fans I have a question, which songs do u think they would include with Dante and which songs would you personally like to see added?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we wanna play the game of appealing to certain demographics... not including PP, Byleth or Min Min:
Joker - appeals to JRPG fans who grew up on the PlayStation line of consoles
Hero - appeals to Japan (DQ is a cultural staple there)
Terry - appeals to Latin America
Steve - worldwide appeal to all demographics

character that appeals to South Korea and/or China - ????
Character that appeals to a female audience - ????
I'll give my takes on the last two

South Korea/China appeal - a LoL rep
Female appeal - either a character from a game commonly played by girls, like Arle or Layton (puzzle games are popular among females) or a strong empowering female character (Lara, Elma)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For the DMC fans I have a question, which songs do u think they would include with Dante and which songs would you personally like to see added?
Devils Never Cry, Lock and Load, Vergil 2 and Never Surrender are shoe-ins imo. Personally, I'd want Cerberus Battle, Divine Hate Vergil, Lock and Load Blackened Angel, Devil Trigger, Bury the Light and Silver Bullet on top of that

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's what I think seems to be The Touhou Project's situation:
  1. It is very popular in Japan.
  2. It available in other regions, but it isn't localized.
  3. However, it is possible to download a fan made patch, that adds a translation.
  4. And it's not just in English either as far as I know. There are even translation patches for made up languages, and Google Translated gibberish.
  5. Which leads to the point that there are is a pretty decently sized fanbase in other regions, actively making mods, fan games, and the like.
  6. Because of this, The Touhou Project's influence is a lot more widespread than people realize. "more than people realize" being the key words here: It's still niche.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Why, it looks like I have been summoned! :roll:

Fun fact of the day: Lux, one of League's "faces", is full of references to Marisa - in particular her Ultimate, Final Spark, which is a direct reference to Marisa's signature move. In particular, Sorceress Lux also seems to be a reference to this:

A user on Reddit compiled all Touhou references in League in a thread right here.
I'm just gonna leave this here...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's what I think seems to be The Touhou Project's situation:
  1. It is very popular in Japan.
  2. It available in other regions, but it isn't localized.
  3. However, it is possible to download a fan made patch, that adds a translation.
  4. And it's not just in English either as far as I know. There are even translation patches for made up languages, and Google Translated gibberish.
  5. Which leads to the point that there are is a pretty decently sized fanbase in other regions, actively making mods, fan games, and the like.
  6. Because of this, The Touhou Project's influence is a lot more widespread than people realize. "more than people realize" being the key words here: It's still niche.
Please bro go on Gamestop dot com or something and type in Touhou cause you'll get localized games from it

CureParfait

Smash Ace
If we wanna play the game of appealing to certain demographics... not including PP, Byleth or Min Min:
Joker - appeals to JRPG fans who grew up on the PlayStation line of consoles
Hero - appeals to Japan (DQ is a cultural staple there)
Terry - appeals to Latin America
Steve - worldwide appeal to all demographics

character that appeals to South Korea and/or China - ????
Character that appeals to a female audience - ????
Character that appeals to South Korea and/or China- A Dungeon Fighter character or MapleStory (although the latter is leaning towards more to appeals to South Korea)
Character that appeals to a female audience- Maybe an Aikatsu character if arcade trading card game counts as a video game

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This is more of a Wishlist, The songs I want remixed are the ones I'm pretty confidant will get in
Remixes:
Devils Never Cry
Lock & Load
Shall Never Surrender

Regular music:
Devil Trigger
Crimson Cloud
Subhuman
Bury the Light
Silver Bullet
The Time Has Come
Ultra Violet
Lady Battle
Divine Hate
Dance With Devils
Mundus theme

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
those aren't the mainline Touhou games tho, which are only on PC. those are mostly commercialized fangames and spinoffs licensed by ZUN
I'm personally interested if Nintendo thinks those fangames are enough presence. That's gonna sound like heresy, but give me a moment. It may not be ZUN-made, but it's still Touhou content being sold on the Switch. If Nintendo thinks the Touhou brand is profitable, they could ("Could" being the keyword here, we can't get everybody in Smash) decide that a Touhou Challenger Pack is a good idea.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Please bro go on Gamestop dot com or something and type in Touhou cause you'll get localized games from it
Me: Alright. Will do.
My Internet: Let's not and say we did. shuts off

those aren't the mainline Touhou games tho, which are only on PC. those are mostly commercialized fangames and spinoffs licensed by ZUN
Wouldn't that make them an official part of the series though?

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Honestly, I haven't play any Touhou games at all, but what got me interested in seeing Reimu in Smash Is
1. her character design and 2. this fight:
After seeing that, I was all for her joining Smash, it also had the effect of wanting Sakura for Smash too even as a Mii costume. Also 3. the fact that she basically performed the Rasengan before Naruto ever did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom