• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
Kinda ****ed up now that it seems Amiibo theory is still pretty damn solid, we can probably guess when our next characters will come based on if we get dates for the next wave of Amiibo today.

Vaguely, at least.
Oh right, Banjo and Terry's turn to get amiibos right? I know people have been eager for Banjo's amiibo at least. I wonder if they'll be able to have them come for the holidays, would bode well for one more character this year.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh right, Banjo and Terry's turn to get amiibos right? I know people have been eager for Banjo's amiibo at least. I wonder if they'll be able to have them come for the holidays, would bode well for one more character this year.
I'm honestly torn on this.

On one hand, another character this year would be great.

On the other hand, that means that the wait between characters next year would probably be even longer if they do stretch it out to December 2021.

It's a matter of, "Do I want another character this year and potential 4 month gaps next year, or do I want nothing more this year and a new character every 3 months next?"

I kinda feel the latter option tbh.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
You guys want some bad takes? I got them right here in the comment section of this article, and they can't be missed. It's quite sad, really.

Sorry if this came out of nowhere, and I also doubly apologize if now is an inappropriate time.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
It's a matter of, "Do I want another character this year and potential 4 month gaps next year, or do I want nothing more this year and a new character every 3 months next?"

True. We have four characters left, if spread out for next year, something like January-April-August-November plus/minus a month here and there could work. If we're not getting one this year, it'll likely happen early next year anyway (if stuck to schedule) so not too bad I guess... and we're all accustomed to waiting already haha.
sigh

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

On the other hand, that means that the wait between characters next year would probably be even longer if they do stretch it out to December 2021.

I actually wouldn't be that surprised considering it seems these characters take 8-11 months, so the division that worked on Byleth could be done with their next character in December.

Just pray that the Min Min division is working on a character that only requires 8 months next.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You know, I feel like that people say first party reps as DLC would be boring and don't get much hype.
(Examples are Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, a Gen 8 starter and others.)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
They had Pirahna Plant amiibos pretty soon after his reveal, didn't they? I could totally see the same for Steve, 5 years in the making and all. Picture it, parents everywhere buying their kids the Minecraft and Smash Switch bundle. Gives Microsoft a tidy little side bet for the Christmas sales. Nintendo isn't really competing with Microsoft and Sony, so anything they can get from Nintendo is good.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So just to recap, since it was said Steve took 5 years, here's my assumption of the Timeline

2015-2017: First Talks of Minecraft occur around here, Possible chance Steve as considered for Base roster for Ultimate, however due to the problems of implementing a character from a game like Minecraft, it was put on the burner for now

2017-2018: Possible that more talks of Minecraft occur here. Still might be problems with Implementation, so even with FP1, It might not feasible at this moment. Banjo is decided as an option around here also

2019: FP2 is Fully decided around here (In june I Believe). Minecraft is once again discussed. It seems Sakurai is now ready to Try his hand at implementing Steve for FP2, so Minecraft and Steve is finalized for a FP2 Slot and Development begins probably when ALL of FP2 is decided upon

2020: Steve is revealed in October the 1st. Success!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

One long wait is better than 3, especially as it'd be an improvement on pacing. Steve was hype enough to the point I'm perfectly fine with waiting a while too, Min Min didn't leave me satisfied with anything so that made the wait feel longer so a really nice stage and fun character can make time fly

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
New hypothetical question: When did you think Steve is gonna drop?

Today? The day after? Next week? Never, it was all an elaborate hoax for Amingo the whole time? :214:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I normally don't like reaction videos because most of them are staged or massively exaggerated
But I think this one is very real

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
New hypothetical question: When did you think Steve is gonna drop?

Today? The day after? Next week? Never, it was all an elaborate hoax for Amingo the whole time? :214:
I'm going to guess the 9th. I would be pretty surprised if he dropped today.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Kinda ****ed up now that it seems Amiibo theory is still pretty damn solid, we can probably guess when our next characters will come based on if we get dates for the next wave of Amiibo today.

Vaguely, at least.
Does anyone has a list of the estimated timeframes?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yes

Recreating Steve's model themselves would have taken too much time and resources. He must have at LEAST twenty polygons, and at least a couple hundred pixels on his body.
Yeah idk. The model and textures are definitely ripped straight from Minecraft so there must be some reason. After Min Min it's the second time even if she did have a model spotified a little bit so it's to a lesser extent

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, Amiibo theory just makes sense from more of a business standpoint more than anything else.

Dropping brand new Amiibo in the same month as a new character makes for good business. You know people are going to be tuning into the presentation, which means you'll be able to show off the new Amiibo, and it works the other way around where people see new Amiibo on the shelves and they remember "Oh Smash exists."

I expect one day the pattern to break, patterns rarely hold up in this community, but so far, 8 characters later it's held strong.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I mean, Amiibo theory just makes sense from more of a business standpoint more than anything else.

Dropping brand new Amiibo in the same month as a new character makes for good business. You know people are going to be tuning into the presentation, which means you'll be able to show off the new Amiibo, and it works the other way around where people see new Amiibo on the shelves and they remember "Oh Smash exists."

I expect one day the pattern to break, patterns rarely hold up in this community, but so far, 8 characters later it's held strong.
I think it's even more simple
Amiibos release -> Need to announce next wave -> Sakurai announces them in presentation

D

Deleted member

I would say Amiibo and 7-11 Theory are the strongest theories we have. They have never failed us, so far. And we are 8 characters in.

Staarih

Smash Master

I think it's also more efficient to release amiibo and characters close to each other, don't updates usually add amiibo compatibility or something? Easier to have all updates at once.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
God though.

100% calling it right now though.

The moment they announce the next wave of Amiibo, if they announce the next wave of Amiibo.... forget Steve. Forget potentially a handful of fan requests getting slaughtered in Bloody Saturday's Mii Costume purge.

SOMEONE is gonna look at the date that the next wave of Amiibo and say:

"Well, only X months until our next character!".... and I know the one user who will 100% be the first to do so lol.

Shroob

Sup?
Alright im not a math wiz xD how do you find out the future dates through this?
You really can't, the most you can do is estimate. epicmartin7 epicmartin7 is the guy you wanna ask since the Amiibo theory's kinda become his baby now.

I would say Amiibo and 7-11 Theory are the strongest theories we have. They have never failed us, so far. And we are 8 characters in.
Problem with 7-11 is it's inconsistent. When it shows up, good times are ahead, but it doesn't show up every time. Joker, Byleth, Terry and MinMin all lacked ads, so yes, when it does show up, it's good news, but we can't bank on it always being there.

I think it's also more efficient to release amiibo and characters close to each other, don't updates usually add amiibo compatibility or something? Easier to have all updates at once.
Yes, but also no. As we already know, Small Battlefield added in Joker and Hero's Amiibo data over a month before they'd even be launched, so they don't 'have' to come in character patches. Granted, I wouldn't mind a few more character-less patches to fill in the Stage Select Screen's missing squares either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom